Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,322 members, 7,888,008 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 05:32 PM

FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors (28717 Views)

US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications / UK Suspends £3,000 Visa Bond / New Visa Process For UK Visitors From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by rhames(m): 8:09pm On Jun 25, 2013
ok. we are looking at the visa bond alone.How about the tax charge on everybody on board an airline from these countries to the uk?
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by jess5(f): 8:09pm On Jun 25, 2013
coogar: nigerians make up a huge percentage of the nurses or social care workers here. if they refuse to go to work just for one day, the British economy would collapse as the brits cannot even do what these honest nigerians do on a daily basis!

The more reason Nigeria should be ashamed of itself. Since the British economy will collapse without Nigerians who helped them in building Britain and making it livable, don't you think it's time Nigeria stop worrying about the British economy and make the Nigerian economy strong just as they have been doing for the UK till date?

Why are honest Nigerians working hard to build British economy while they abandon their own country?

And talking about how the British health system will collapse, is it not ironic that the same Nigeria is the only country where its citizens, from the president to those who can manage to afford it travel outside the country for health care?

Where is Nelson Mandela receiving treatment at the moment? Have you ever heard he was flown out of South Africa to receive treatment elsewhere?

I think it would be wise to provide proper health care for your citizens before getting bothered about how that of another country will collapse. Leave the British to worry about that.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by xandy84: 8:14pm On Jun 25, 2013
Your comment is childish.. NASS, ministers n der relatives can't be affected because they have money to pay ten times of the money but it will only affect the poor.. Wise up bro...

adconline: NASS , ministers,relatives conubines are worried because they are going to be the hardest hit.
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by Freiburger(m): 8:22pm On Jun 25, 2013
jess5:

The more reason Nigeria should be ashamed of itself. Since the British economy will collapse without Nigerians who helped them in building Britain and making it livable, don't you think it's time Nigeria stop worrying about the British economy and make the Nigerian economy strong just as they have been doing for the UK till date?

Why are honest Nigerians working hard to build British economy while they abandon their own country?

oga cho knockle for that, how brilliant from you.

1 Like

Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by sultanemerald(m): 8:23pm On Jun 25, 2013
ogb5:

She is talking about the health sector collapsing because she wants the british to appreciate the contributions of Nigeria professionals to the progress of the british society. Obviously thats not too much to ask for.

If we allow the british to discriminate against us, what will stop the Americans, French, Canadians and all others from disciminating against us.

If the british try it, infact they should put a landing fee of 1 million naira per persenger that flies a british plane into Nigeria, Let BA stop their daily flights to Nigeria

tell the fellow. some peeps are funny. a rep promoting nigeria is now labelled a ranter? God forgive you.
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by Gbawe: 8:24pm On Jun 25, 2013
dabrake:
@gbawe, i do like you a lot but I won't agree with you this time. at this point in time, you should be defending the interest of the average Nigerian instead of trying to score cheap political points.

I did defend the interest of Nigeria and made it clear this is unfair. What I want is for Nigerians leaders to explicitly show the UK how this £3,000 bond is unfair and harsh for Nigerian visitors to the UK and not begin talking about things outside the remit of a visitors Visa.
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by sultanemerald(m): 8:27pm On Jun 25, 2013
Gbawe:

I am not asking her not to defend the interest of Nigerians. Merely stating she should do it intelligently and not muddy up issues with bellicose talk that reveals she has not even taken time to understand the full picture.

If a Nigerian applies for a six month visa to visit friends and family in the UK, what is the point of Dabiri-Erewa talking of collapsing anyone's health sector if that visitor is asked to pay a refundable bond? What concerns employment with this? Let us refrain from being sentimental with everything. Britain say they are targeting those who stay beyond their visitor Visa. We should therefore tackle the unfairness of the Visa bond on its own merit and with relevant argument. It should certainly not be a Nigerian political leader talking ignorantly when we need them to make cogent argument on our behalf.

oga, let her talk. she understands what she is talking about.
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by jess5(f): 8:33pm On Jun 25, 2013
Freiburger:
oga cho knockle for that, how brilliant from you.

Thanks but i'm female grin
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by occam(m): 8:34pm On Jun 25, 2013
Deep Sight:
There is absolutely no need to rationalize or defend the intended British Policy, as every nation's foreign policy must be dictated by its self interest and the interest of its citizens.

As such, the United Kingdom is free to implement the said policy, just as surely as we are free to implement a similar policy with regard to them.

Since the per capita income of the UK far outweighs that of Nigeria, we should place a bond on their citizens in exact proportion to the difference in per capita income. Thus, if the income of the average Nigerian is $10, and the income of the average Brit is $300, then, given their bond of 3000 pounds, the bond we will impose on them would be 90, 000 pounds.

Now there is no need to rationalize this in any way, shape or form: we are merely catering to our national self interest. If they cannot live with the bond we impose, then they would have to revisit the bond they have imposed.

This way, Nigeria will be taken more seriously in international affairs. They would be very wary of waking up tomorrow with any other such ideas of bonds. Its quite scandalous already, the amount of money they make from mere visa application fees.

Now, as President, I will go further. I know very well that Nigeria is a large nation by any parameters anywhere in the world. I know very well that we are strategically placed enough to hold our own diplomatically with any nation in the world, and we have done it several times in the past with this same Britain, South Africa, Russia, the USA and others.

As President, I would press the issue by directing that our 90, 000 pound bond takes effect next week.

I would further direct that all Britons currently in Nigeria have to remit the bond within one week, or be deported immediately.

Strategically I know that they cannot take same retaliatory steps because their interests far outweigh ours in every respect.

I would go further still. Not publicly, but privately, I would have my ambassador inform the British authorities that this will end very ugly. Businesses would be affected, oil mining licences withdrawn from companies with British equity, and many more. These people would think in their interests. During the Abacha years, Nigerian airlines were barred from Britain on safety grounds. The FG promptly barred BA on safety grounds. They blinked first, and they blinked immediately.

I tell you, we can more than hold our own diplomatically. The very first sneeze from the FG, if well targeted, will make the Brits cancel this instanta!

During the Yaradua years, these people were in a panic because the Chinese and Russians were making strong bids for Nigerian Oil Mining Licences that were about to expire. I would play dirty. As soon as I issue my directives on the bond for British Citizens, their intelligence services would simultaneously notice hectic and consistent visits of Russian and Chinese officials and businessmen to the Presidency in Abuja, and NNPC.

Dem no yet see bad boy presido, I tell ya.

In reality Nigeria has no leverage nor can we force our will on most nations. Years of been ruled by visionless and corrupt leaders has consigned us to the heap of powerless nations. Think the Brits can impose such policy on South Africa or Brazil?

Any tit for tat will ultimately hurt ordinary Nigerians. Our leaders will only blow hot air and back off to save face

Besides, asking visitors for bonds is just creating avenues for our corrupt immigration officials to fatten their pockets. Egunje will be rampant at the border and life will be made more difficult for ALL visitors not the Brits only

1 Like

Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by Gbawe: 8:36pm On Jun 25, 2013
sultanemerald:

tell the fellow. some peeps are funny. a rep promoting nigeria is now labelled a ranter? God forgive you.

Look, let us be rational. Those folks are not Nairalanders. The level they operate at involves using cogent and relevant argument to make your point. The visitor Visa targeted has no work permit attached so no need for a Nigerian politician to talk of the health sector of others.

A UK representative will simply respond by saying a visitor who intends to return has nothing to worry about. They can point out that a visitors Visa has nothing to do with an employment based immigrant Visa which is what a sort-after medical practitioner would obtain. It would be easy for a British representative to patronisingly ask Dabiri-Erewa what her point is considering that no Nigerian working today in the British medical sector would have legally gotten employment while on a visitors Visa that prohibits them from seeking any form of employment in the UK while there. Please let us shun sentiments and tell our leaders to raise the bar when they must otherwise we will be affected by their poor knowledge and thinking.

1 Like

Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by Acidosis(m): 8:44pm On Jun 25, 2013
A very s¡lly decision from the U.K government..

Why should I deposit £3000 for you to feed your starving citizens and for business just because I need to visit my relative??

Is this s¡lly rule also applicable to other African countries like S.A ?
Why Nigeria?
This f00ls dey use us play sha...

Well, this is what we get when our people prefers to travel "abroad" for unreasonable reasons, spending free government money as if the money fell from heaven..

I really commend this idea, even if its empty talk, atleast its better than begging this white non-melanin f00ls as if we are animals/slaves...

To hell with the government & their bond...
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by moodswing(m): 8:45pm On Jun 25, 2013
Gbawe:

I am not asking her not to defend the interest of Nigerians. Merely stating she should do it intelligently and not muddy up issues with bellicose talk that reveals she has not even taken time to understand the full picture.

If a Nigerian applies for a six month visa to visit friends and family in the UK, what is the point of Dabiri-Erewa talking of collapsing anyone's health sector if that visitor is asked to pay a refundable bond? What concerns employment with this? Let us refrain from being sentimental with everything. Britain say they are targeting those who stay beyond their visitor Visa. We should therefore tackle the unfairness of the Visa bond on its own merit and with relevant argument. It should certainly not be a Nigerian political leader talking ignorantly when we need them to make cogent argument on our behalf.

This matter don pass your reasoning capacity. You are obviously trying not to confuse yourself, but failed woefully.

Read the thread again and you might understand why she referred to those workers.

Gbawe the sabinus.

1 Like

Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by jess5(f): 8:47pm On Jun 25, 2013
occam:

In reality Nigeria has no leverage nor can we force our will on most nations. Years of been ruled by visionless and corrupt leaders has consigned us to the heap of powerless nations. Think the Brits can impose such policy on South Africa or Brazil?

Any tit for tat will ultimately hurt ordinary Nigerians. Our leaders will only blow hot air and back off to save face

Besides, asking visitors for bonds is just creating avenues for our corrupt immigration officials to fatten their pockets. Egunje will be rampant at the border and life will be made more difficult for ALL visitors not the Brits only

Very good reply. Only what you forgot to mention is the fact that hardly any native British visit Nigeria as a tourist. Most consider the country unsafe for holiday.

Majority of Briton's travel to Nigeria for work or business purposes. And for those who travel for work, it means their company will have to foot the bill, which they can add to the cost of whatever contract they have in Nigeria. Yes.

For those who come for business, they can easily pay it and get their money back when they return. Or is Nigeria going to keep it when they return back to their country?

The average Briton only visit Nigeria when he has a family member there.
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by sultanemerald(m): 8:52pm On Jun 25, 2013
Gbawe:

Look, let us be rational. Those folks are not Nairalanders. The level they operate at involves using cogent and relevant argument to make your point. The visitor Visa targeted has no work permit attached so no need for a Nigerian politician to talk of the health sector of others.

A UK representative will simply respond by saying a visitor who intends to return has nothing to worry about. They can point out that a visitors Visa has nothing to do with an employment based immigrant Visa which is what a sort-after medical practitioner would obtain. It would be easy for a British representative to patronisingly ask Dabiri-Erewa what her point is considering that no Nigerian working today in the British medical sector would have legally gotten employment while on a visitors Visa that prohibits them from seeking any form of employment in the UK while there. Please let us shun sentiments and tell our leaders to raise the bar when they must otherwise we will be affected by their poor knowledge and thinking.

i totally get your point. forget her not so smart arguments. when it comes to policies that affect nigerians. i become irrational. i always lean towards nigeria. forgive me.
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by Gbawe: 8:55pm On Jun 25, 2013
moodswing:

This matter don pass your reasoning capacity. You are obviously trying not to confuse yourself, but failed woefully.

Read the thread again and you might understand why she referred to those workers.

Gbawe the sabinus.

Below is the relevant section reproduced. Why don't you tell us why she referred to those workers and illustrate the relevance of her doing so in relation to a policy targeted at visitors visa that explicitly prohibits employment of any sort for visitors:

Dabiri-Erewa said: “Nigeria should adopt the principle of reciprocity. If they ask us to pay £3,000, lettheir citizens also pay N5million visa bond.

“This is a discriminatory policy and it is unacceptable. Do not forget that we are a member of the Commonwealth, what are we going to enjoy if they could impose such a discriminatory policy?

“I am quite sure that France will not impose visa bond on their former colonies. The UK Government should reverse itor else we should pay them back in equal measure.

“The Federal Government should not allow the situation to lie low; it should reject it and make it reciprocal.

“When South Africa said we should be paying N100, 000 visa bond and we reciprocated, it quickly stopped the policy.

“If Nigerian and Indian doctors withdraw their services in the UK, their health sector will collapse.
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by jess5(f): 9:01pm On Jun 25, 2013
Gbawe:

Very true. Instead of them to find the solution to the topic at hand, they are coming up with the ones that make it look like they are in support of Nigerians who go to the UK on visitors visa and never comeback. Or those that go there for complicated health issues without paying a dime.
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by Gbawe: 9:01pm On Jun 25, 2013
sultanemerald:

i totally get your point. forget her not so smart arguments. when it comes to policies that affect nigerians. i become irrational. i always lean towards nigeria. forgive me.

No yawa. I am behind Nigeria on this as well. Check my original post and you will note this. It should be easy to make a direct case of this being a very unfair levy. When Nigerians will pay for visa, ticket and get spending money together, it is unfair to ask them stump up a further £3,000 that will be held by the UK, probably bearing interest for them, for six months. Simply screen Nigerians and let them in without condition when they meet entry requirements, as done for others, or reject their application if you are not happy to let them visit.
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by Allenkee: 9:02pm On Jun 25, 2013
kkkp:

Initial gragra..FG can not do anytin

Was FG able to do anything against South Africa when they asked Nigerians to be paying 100,000 Naira bond? Of course they reacted by bringing the SA government shoulder down.
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by Gbawe: 9:15pm On Jun 25, 2013
jess5:

Very true. Instead of them to find the solution to the topic at hand, they are coming up with the ones that make it look like they are in support of Nigerians who go to the UK on visitors visa and never comeback. Or those that go there for complicated health issues without paying a dime.

Thank you. Why go over the top speaking about issues that will make others think our leaders are arguing dubiously, ignorantly and out of context? Must we support their glaring error because they are defending us? You cannot work while on a visitors Visa. This particular £3,000 bond policy only affects visitors Visa. The law is very clear on immigration visa procedure for skilled migrant applicants and that is a separate issue not at all related to this situation. What is Dabiri-Erewa then talking about?

Is she saying the Nigerians working in the UK medical field all gained employment while on six months visitors Visa that explicitly bans them from seeking work? An argument can be made on its own merit that the £3,000 visa bond is simply punitively unfair because it is a lot of money !!! Most Brits cannot even afford that themselves so why levy such on Nigerians?
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by TOKUGAWA(m): 9:27pm On Jun 25, 2013
The French are better,neater n more accommodating than the Brits. No wonder a village boy from Timbuktu can travel to Paris without an international passport so far he's a citizen of Mali. Britain's colonial Policy of associsation ruined us.The French West African countries are still enjoying France's colonial policy of assimilation.
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by jess5(f): 9:28pm On Jun 25, 2013
Gbawe: An argument can be made on its own merit that the £3,000 visa bond is simply punitively unfair because it is a lot of money !!! Most Brits cannot even afford that themselves so why levy such on Nigerians?

Of course, a case for how unfair and discriminatory the £3,000 visa bond is (especially those who go there for genuine reasons and need that extra money to spend during their stay) will be supported by many civil organisations.

And the truth is, that money will not deter those who want to remain in the UK.

About the employment, it shows how she did not make her research to understand what is at stake before hurriedly coming with this solution.
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by ms22059: 9:44pm On Jun 25, 2013
Very funny! Nigerians wont see British people in Nigeria then. Yeah right!
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jun 25, 2013
The title of this post is a little misleading though. undecided
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by goodtalk(m): 10:09pm On Jun 25, 2013
Gbawe:

i simply wonder why you are belly aching over an issue as clear as the day light! And whatever be the real reason behind t'he action of Britain it pales into insignificance as Nigerians dont form t'he greatest numbers of visitors overstaying there welcome at least if t'he article posted by E gurrilla is anything to go by, t'he caucasians are t'he greatest flaunters of t'he visit visa regime. Having said that the position of hon Abike dabiri on t'he matter is abt! How else can you explain why t'he british prime minister told t'he world that they would be cutting aids from Nigeria for its refusal to support same sex marriage or homosexual/lesbian intimasy of course you can ask me of what relevance is this to solving maternal mortality and polio eradication for which some this aids where meant to address! So please spear me your munbo jumbo talk of Abike dabiri not getting a grasps of t'he issue! We need to strike at t'he heart of british intreast in Nigeria to change this obnosious and draculian bulshit of new visa regim, how many travllers can afford to keep 750 thousand naira in t'he vault of t'he queen for six months without any intreast incruable? Wicked imperialists hissssssssss! angry
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by erico2k2(m): 10:16pm On Jun 25, 2013
~ZN~:
I want to believe this is not true. What?

Do we have UK citizens "over-staying" their visa dates here? The FG wants to hit back at the Brits?
yes ofcos, one of them is a famous name dealing in arms illegally in one southern African country.he is of the thatcher family if you remember.
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by Everfrank(m): 10:22pm On Jun 25, 2013
9ja_I_hail: This will be a right move only if Tinumbu and opposition parties do not play politics with this, forgetting that national interest should not be use to score cheap political point.

GEJ administration is the first Nigeria Govt to fight for it citizens right internationally.
How?
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by everyday: 10:27pm On Jun 25, 2013
Better!
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jun 25, 2013
well most people go visit and don't return and use their welfare system and also incur bills in hospital without paying or paying taxes.. Am sure Nigerians are willing to pay this to stay in London.. 750,000 Naira is chicken change.. People sell their property to run to London.
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by CharlyG1: 11:38pm On Jun 25, 2013
Theses British pple just made a costly mistake.. Don't dey know who Nigeria is? Don't dey know d positive role Nigeria plays in their economy? This is just transparent discrimination. It wudnt take long for their govt to realize dey've made a terrible mistake. Nigerianz won't stoop low for dis. I dey craze? Make I pay N750k because I wan see my family for UK? Even if som senseless Nigerians pay, its not really abt d money, but its to gradually flush out Nigerians and oda immigrants who dey want out from their economy, dey'll b faced wit serious discrimination and racism. Make we wise up oh. GEJ&govt talk to dem in d naija language.. WE NO SEND DEM!
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by flyforall: 12:29am On Jun 26, 2013
An Eye for an Eye
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by eherbal(m): 1:23am On Jun 26, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]lip service. What was the outcome of the aviation altercation Nigeria had with Britain, during the price discrepancy British Airways was imposing on Nigerian, as against other west African countries? cry
Re: FG To Impose £20,000 Visa-Bond On UK Visitors by DeepSight(m): 1:37am On Jun 26, 2013
goodtalk: How else can you explain why t'he british prime minister told t'he world that they would be cutting aids from Nigeria for its refusal to support same sex marriage or homosexual/lesbian intimasy of course you can ask me of what relevance is this to solving maternal mortality and polio eradication for which some this aids where meant to address! So please spear me your munbo jumbo talk of Abike dabiri not getting a grasps of t'he issue!

Well, perhaps Gbawe ought to consider and respond to this point.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagos Traffic: Pregnant Woman, Others Pay 500Naira Each To Cross Muddy Road(Vid) / Jewish Man Covers Himself In Plastic Bag During Flight / Driver Escapes Death As Truck Crushes His Vehicle Into Pieces In Calabar. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.