Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,572 members, 7,911,489 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 11:24 AM

Okadas And Pedestrians (blessing Or Curse) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Okadas And Pedestrians (blessing Or Curse) (912 Views)

Poll: which do you prefer okada or BRT

MOLUE: 0% (0 votes)
DANFO: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) / Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... / Is Slavery Blessing Or Curse To African Americans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Okadas And Pedestrians (blessing Or Curse) by camellie(m): 5:53pm On May 13, 2008
OKadas and Pedestrians: Blessings or Curse?

Ever wandered why you cannot take a peaceful stroll on the streets of Lagos?

1. Many streets do not have sidewalks.

2. Those that have 'sidewalks', have had the same sidewalks turned into instant markets; for selling all sorts of food stuff.

3. Where, 1 and 2 above do not hold, the sidewalks have become an expressway for Okadas.

It is time someone writes a book on Okadas, especially in Lagos.

Every morning, I walk past a particular roundabout in VI (where the residents of the area are supposed to 'know') and I have to first jump over several gutter covers (the covers were removed about two years ago during a gutter cleaning exercise and were never returned; the have been permanently placed on the sidewalk). Then I continue my journey on the road, because the sidewalk is blocked by people selling their wares, and Okadas. And even on the road, I have to hop-skip & jump, avoiding both Okadas and vehicles.

Now that BRT lanes and buses are in operation in Lagos, I think the time is ripe for the Lagos goverment to make an ORT lane or FOO Lane (for okadas only).

Having fallen victim late last year; i began to count the number of people i know first hand, who have suffered the fate of Okada accident.

There is almost not a day that there are not okada accidents.

One asks, are the Okada drivers licensed? Do they have standard driving tests to pass?

In this Lagos, the fear of Okada is the beginning of wisdom for any person driving.

It is the 'continuation of life' for any pedestrian, trying to cross a dual lane street. The checks, where there is a road island is for five lanes on both sides: okada, cars, okada, cars, okada: hmm,,  jump across to the road island, then okada, cars, okada, cars, okada: hurray,,  made it to the other side.

(1) (Reply)

Plz I Need Ur Xpert Help N Advice Esp Gongo Aso N Femilangy / After Japan What Has Other Asian Countries Got To Offer / Can Someone Please Enlighten Me?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.