Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,848 members, 7,906,121 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 05:31 AM

’Amaechi/Gej: 2015 Elections May Not Be Free And Fair’–Amaechi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ’Amaechi/Gej: 2015 Elections May Not Be Free And Fair’–Amaechi (626 Views)

Breaking News!!mother Of All Battles As Rivers Govt. Fixes Lg Elections May 23 / Elections May Not Hold In North East –jega / Amaechi - 2015 Elections May End-up Like NGF Poll (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

’Amaechi/Gej: 2015 Elections May Not Be Free And Fair’–Amaechi by chaloner(m): 6:47am On Jun 27, 2013
There was mild drama on Wednesday night at the Banquet Hall of the
Presidential Villa, Abuja, venue of the Presidential dinner organised
by President Goodluck Jonathan, news website, The Eagle Online, is
reporting.
A presidential bodyguard stopped embattled Rivers state Governor,
Rotimi Amaechi, from getting close to President Jonathan to pay
homage.
Mr. Amaechi, who is the chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum
(NGF), and his loyalists arrived the venue when the event was already
in progress.
They came in from the Rivers Governor’s lodge where they met
earlier for about 15 minutes and then adjourned to honour the
President’s invitation.
On his entourage were Governors Kayode Fayemi (Ekiti); Ibikunle
Amosun (Ogun); Adams Oshiomole (Edo); Sule Lamido (Jigawa);
Rabiu Kwankwanso (Kano); Abdulazeez Kyari-(Zamfara); Muritala
Nyako (Adamawa) and Magartakada Wamakko (Sokoto).
Governor Amaechi, after settling down, got up and made his way
towards where President Goodluck Jonathan was seated in company
of Presidents Joyce Banda of Malawi and Ellen Johnson Sirleaf of
Liberia, apparently to pay homage.
However, a presidential bodyguard blocked the governor from
meeting the President. The Governor resisted for a while but had to
return to his seat when it was glaring the bodyguard won’t allow him.
Also, Governor Amaechi, who was seated in company of the chairman
of the PDP Governors’ Forum, Godswil Amaechi, was not recognised
at the event while Mr. Akpabio was introduced as chairman of the
PDP Governors Forum.
The paper also reported an altercation between Amaechi and
Akpabio. The duo reportedly accused each other of being
undemocratic.
“You are not democratic”, Mr. Amaechi told Akpabio and the latter
insatantly fired back, “You too, you are not democratic”. Few
minutes after that, Governors Amaechi, Fayemi and Oshiomole left
the venue.
On his way out, Governor Amaechi fielded questions from journalists.
The following conversation ensued between him and State House
correspondents.
Is your presence here with other governors an indication that the
problem in NGF has been resolved?
Amaechi: Was NGF sick? I don’t know about factions. We are holding
NGF meeting and we agreed that those of us who were there should
honour the President and attend the dinner, we have attended, you
saw all of them, some have left and I am leaving too
Did you tell Governor Jang there is meeting now?
Amaechi: He was invited. What is my business if he is not there? 16 to
19. Are you not a Nigerian? 16 governors voted for him, 19
governors voted for me. If he does not accept the 19, he is
undemocratic. Anybody who supports him, including television houses,
are also undemocratic.
I have said it in a statement that if at any point in time we cannot
uphold what 19 governors said, then we should be afraid of 2015.
If the PDP is suspending me for that reason, too bad.
We must learn to be democratic. I am not aware that the party has
given any reason for suspending me, if that is the reason, too bad. The
party is yet to give any reason for my suspension. I am not aware
that the party suspended me for winning an election.
What is the way forward?
Amaechi: That is the question to ask Jang and those who are supporting
him. Those with me are in majority.
We have the permission of Eagle Online to republish this story.
[URL]premiumtimesng.com/news/139709-jonathans-bodyguard-blocks-amaechi-from-greeting-president.html[URL/]
.............................................................................................................................................................. Amaechi is in battle with the Oga at the top, will he survive this? This gej suppose to be his father and brother in politics....... What is wrong? Amaechi as for me need to settle wit him........................

At a stakeholders’ symposium to review the 1999 constitution yesterday, Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State who has insisted he isthe chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum (NGF), told his audience that those whoare behind denying him his mandate as the dulyelected chairman of the forum may thwart all attempts to usher in free and fair polls at thenext general elections.
“Let me put it on record that the way things are going, 2015 elections will end in this manner where people will win democratic elections and those in power will not accept theresults”, Amaechi said.
He chided members of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) for keeping mum while thecrises in the NGF has raged and tasked them to defend the country’s nascent democracy.
“I say it and I want to be put on record that anybody who supports the Jang group is undemocratic”.
Amaechi also bemoaned a situation where State Governors do not have control over Police Commissioners serving in their domain and wondered if Nigeria was really running a federation. Amaechi has had public spats with Mr Joseph Mbu, the commissioner of police in Rivers State.
Last night, the pro Amaechi group of the splintered NGF also shelved its meeting scheduled at about the same time a presidential dinner was slated and attended the dinner instead, several minutes after the pro Jang faction had taken their seats
Re: ’Amaechi/Gej: 2015 Elections May Not Be Free And Fair’–Amaechi by bellaberry: 6:54am On Jun 27, 2013
Hmnnnnn. One begins to wonder why these power drunk politicians will decide to take this fight to the international scenes. I mean presidents of other nations were there why amaechi was humiliated by GEJ's bouncers....falling of hands mehn!
Re: ’Amaechi/Gej: 2015 Elections May Not Be Free And Fair’–Amaechi by Nobody: 7:21am On Jun 27, 2013
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupt absolutely !!!

Hmmm, Drama Indeed !!! embarassed
Re: ’Amaechi/Gej: 2015 Elections May Not Be Free And Fair’–Amaechi by Nobody: 7:41am On Jun 27, 2013
Amaechi should stop wasting his time and join the APC
Re: ’Amaechi/Gej: 2015 Elections May Not Be Free And Fair’–Amaechi by ccwizard: 7:56am On Jun 27, 2013
So ameachi is talking about democracy. Hmmm dis is funny cos it's no news of his arrogant n destructive nature in Rivers state. Was he not undemocratic when he said he'll must destroy all water fronts in Port Harcourt against the wish of the people who would only accept the demolition if the will be relocated back to the area after construction. Now he's talking about democracy cos he's no longer in good terms with the Oga at the top. I laugh in Wakrike grin

1 Like

Re: ’Amaechi/Gej: 2015 Elections May Not Be Free And Fair’–Amaechi by Nobody: 8:22am On Jun 27, 2013
I seriously doubt the veracity of this story as this event was broadcasted live and none of the mainstream media reported it...even premium times is basing their report on that of eagle online, an unknown site....I'm sure if something like that happened, the media would be awash with it , however this NGF issue is getting out of hand and unnecessarily heating up the polity

(1) (Reply)

Gay Foreign Diplomat Can Serve In Nigeria - Minister / Underage Marriage Is Our Right As Muslims – Asari Dokubo Spits Fire / 2015: Northern Elders, Youths Endorse Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.