Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,008 members, 7,880,159 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 01:20 PM

Thou Shalt Not - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Thou Shalt Not (682 Views)

Letter To Bishop Oyedepo: Thou Shall Serve No Other God, By Adeolu Ademoyo / God Said Thou Shalt Not Kill But He Ordered People To Kill / ''thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any Graven Image'' And The Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thou Shalt Not by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:44am On Jun 27, 2013
Thou Shalt Not
June 27, 2013

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth" (Exodus 20:4).

Many secularists criticize Christianity as being a religion of negativism filled with prohibitions. In response, Christians often try to blunt this criticism by stressing Christian love and freedom from the law.

The fact is, however, that the New Testament also contains many prohibitions, including a restatement of all those in God's laws as expressed in the Ten Commandments. The first of these in our text prohibits idolatry. Six others also begin with "thou shalt not." "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain"; "Thou shalt not kill"; "Thou shalt not commit adultery"; "Thou shalt not steal"; "Thou shalt not bear false witness"; "Thou shalt not covet" (Exodus 20:7, 13-17).

It is inappropriate for any Christian to ignore these commandments. Godly behavior is more important now than ever before. Not only are these prohibitions all repeated in the New Testament, but there are numerous other "shalt nots" as well, all directed to Christians saved by grace, apart from the works of the law.

For example: "Be not drunk with wine" (Ephesians 5:18); "Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath" (Ephesians 4:26); "Mind not high things . . . Be not wise in your own conceits" (Romans 12:16); "avenge not yourselves" (Romans 12:19); and many, many others.

There are numerous positive aspects to the Christian life, of course, but there are also things a Christian should not do. We do not work for our salvation, but we must work out our salvation, putting off the works of the flesh and putting on the works of a regenerate life. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Thou Shalt Not by Nobody: 10:14am On Jun 27, 2013
God bless you bro..that's what these antinomians preaching a one-sided gospel fail to see that "we are created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:10). True faith produce action, as well as a desire for holiness and obedience. (1 John 3:18, Titus 2:11-15, 1 Peter 1:15-16, Revelation 14:12).
Re: Thou Shalt Not by shdemidemi(m): 10:31am On Jun 27, 2013
JOKER... The bible says one thing, you are saying another. Little wonder, there was no scriptural quote to say we should continue being under the moral laws of Moses.
'
As for Paul, Paul gave admonitions not command. You will here the apostle use phrases like 'I beseech you'. The spirit of God would not lead a man to murder, lie etc. The bible says the spirit leads us in to all perfection, the law on the other hand leads us to condemnation and death.

YOU ARE NO MORE UNDER THE LAW OF MOSES
Re: Thou Shalt Not by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:01am On Jun 27, 2013
shdemidemi:

JOKER... The bible says one thing, you are saying another. Little wonder, there was no scriptural quote to say we should continue being under the moral laws of Moses.
'
As for Paul, Paul gave admonitions not command. You will here the apostle use phrases like 'I beseech you'. The spirit of God would not lead a man to murder, lie etc. The bible says the spirit leads us in to all perfection, the law on the other hand leads us to condemnation and death.

YOU ARE NO MORE UNDER THE LAW OF MOSES

This is why I've been admonishing you that you need to repent. You seem to be mixing up what Paul says because of your pride. Listen to Paul here:

"What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid"
(Romans 6:15).

You can see from what Paul says here that you like the others in the Roman church have been getting him wrong. We in Christ are covered under the umbrella of grace from the wrath of the Law. Apostle Paul didn't say that the Law had been done away with. Our Lord Jesus Christ said that He had not come to do away with the Law. I want you to consider what Paul also said in Romans 3:31

"Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law"
(Romans 3:31).

So you can see that we corroborate the law and not void it. The Moral Law of God which you are trying to avoid still remains the standard of God's righteousness, and it will be the means by which He will judge the world on the last day as it is appointed to men once to die, but after this the judgment (Heb 9:27) You can't then blame Paul for teaching you what he didn't.
Re: Thou Shalt Not by shdemidemi(m): 11:09am On Jun 27, 2013
You are so fake... The questions you came up with were questions they asked Paul due to his teachings. He made it clear that he was not telling anyone to do what is wrong. He went on to explain what he means by we are no more under the law but I trust your pastors won't teach you the rest.

God is not saying don't lie cos I say so anymore, God is saying If you love me you would not lie. God wants a relationship with us, not by the law but by love through His Spirit.
Re: Thou Shalt Not by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:01am On Jun 28, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Thou Shalt Not

June 27, 2013

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth" (Exodus 20:4).

Many secularists criticize Christianity as being a religion of negativism filled with prohibitions. In response, Christians often try to blunt this criticism by stressing Christian love and freedom from the law.

The fact is, however, that the New Testament also contains many prohibitions, including a restatement of all those in God's laws as expressed in the Ten Commandments. The first of these in our text prohibits idolatry. Six others also begin with "thou shalt not." "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain"; "Thou shalt not kill"; "Thou shalt not commit adultery"; "Thou shalt not steal"; "Thou shalt not bear false witness"; "Thou shalt not covet" (Exodus 20:7, 13-17).

It is inappropriate for any Christian to ignore these commandments. Godly behavior is more important now than ever before. Not only are these prohibitions all repeated in the New Testament, but there are numerous other "shalt nots" as well, all directed to Christians saved by grace, apart from the works of the law.

For example: "Be not drunk with wine" (Ephesians 5:18); "Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath" (Ephesians 4:26); "Mind not high things . . . Be not wise in your own conceits" (Romans 12:16); "avenge not yourselves" (Romans 12:19); and many, many others.

There are numerous positive aspects to the Christian life, of course, but there are also things a Christian should not do. We do not work for our salvation, but we must work out our salvation, putting off the works of the flesh and putting on the works of a regenerate life. HMM

For more . . . .

1 Like

Re: Thou Shalt Not by shdemidemi(m): 5:57am On Jun 28, 2013
Galatians 2:4
4 [My precaution was] because of false brethren who had been secretly smuggled in [to the Christian brotherhood]; they had slipped in to spy on our liberty and the freedom which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might again bring us into bondage [under the Law of Moses]
Gal 3:1
O foolish (oladegbu) Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

Galatians 3:2
2 Let me ask you this one question: Did you receive the [Holy] Spirit as the result of obeying the Law and doing its works, or was it by hearing [the message of the Gospel] and believing [it]? [Was it from observing a law of rituals or from a message of faith?]

3 Are you so foolish and so senseless and so silly? Having begun [your new life spiritually] with the [Holy] Spirit, are you now reaching perfection [by dependence] on the flesh?
Re: Thou Shalt Not by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:23pm On Jun 28, 2013
shdemidemi:

Galatians 2:4
4 [My precaution was] because of false brethren who had been secretly smuggled in [to the Christian brotherhood]; they had slipped in to spy on our liberty and the freedom which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might again bring us into bondage [under the Law of Moses]
Gal 3:1
O foolish (oladegbu) Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

Galatians 3:2
2 Let me ask you this one question: Did you receive the [Holy] Spirit as the result of obeying the Law and doing its works, or was it by hearing [the message of the Gospel] and believing [it]? [Was it from observing a law of rituals or from a message of faith?]

3 Are you so foolish and so senseless and so silly? Having begun [your new life spiritually] with the [Holy] Spirit, are you now reaching perfection [by dependence] on the flesh?

Here some rhetorical questions Paul asked you antinomians. See how he answered them:

"For sin shall not have dominion over you: for you are not under the law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid."
(Romans 6:15).

God forbid that we sin because we think that we are now under grace and not under the law. Being under the grace of God simply means that we are protected from the wrath of the Law. God's grace cannot be effectively preached to sinners until the Moral Law is preached and our corrupt nature is revealed to us. It is only after we see how terribly we have failed the standards of God's Law that we can then realise our need for God's grace in our lives.

"Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law."
(Romans 3:31).

See how these questions establish the law as opposed to your doing away with the law and see how it applies to your life.

Have I always loved God my Creator with all my heart, mind, soul and strength? ____YES ___NO
Have I made a god in my own image? a god to suit myself? ____YES ___NO
Have I ever used God's name in vain? ____YES ___NO
Have I kept the Sabbath holy? ____YES ___NO
Have I always honoured my parents implicitly? ____YES ___NO
Have I murdered (God considers hatred as murder)? ____YES ___NO
Have I committed adultery (including premarital sex and lust)? ____YES ___NO
Have I stolen (the value is irrelevant)? ____YES ___NO
Have I lied (including fibs and these questions)? ____YES ___NO
Have I coveted (been greedy or materialistic)? ____YES ___NO

If you have even broken one Law, then you have sinned against God and therefore will "surely die," for the "wages of sin is death."

We are all guilty of breaking the Commandments. Listen to the voice of your conscience, and let it remind you of some of the sins of the past. We are not perfect as we are commanded to be (Matthew 5:48 ), neither is our heart pure. On Judgment Day our transgressions will be the evidence of our shame. Think of it: God has seen every sin we have ever committed. We share our thought-life with Him.

We are guilty of violating His Law a multitude of times, yet if we repent, God can forgive us because Jesus stepped into the courtroom 2,000 years ago and paid the fine for us.

His death on the cross satisfied the Law we so blatantly transgressed, and at the same time demonstrated how much God loves us:

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

His shed blood on the cross can make you clean in the sight of a holy God, as though you have never sinned.

God doesn't want you to go to Hell. Please, forget your arguments, repent and put your trust in Jesus and be saved from God's wrath. Make Psalm 51 your prayer, then read your Bible daily and always obey what you read; God will never let you down.
Re: Thou Shalt Not by shdemidemi(m): 4:34pm On Jun 28, 2013
See how foolish you really are, moving from grace to the law. You do not even understand what you read.

Romans 6:15,16a

"What then? shall we sin (let old Adam continue to rule supreme), because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid." Notice the answer is God forbid, but I think a more accurate translation is, "Banish the thought." Don't even think such a thing, because it's nowhere near what God is trying to show us.

"Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are..."

Now he just brings this into the everyday world. If you are employed by someone then naturally he is the one who is going to tell you what he expects of you. He is the one who will be paying your wages, and he is the one you are to give your allegiance to, because you're his employee. Now of course the word `servants' is implying the same thing. Paul again is going to bring everything back to this idea of old Adam.

In other words, no amount of Church membership, works, baptism, sacraments, or elements you can put in here, nothing can do what Paul is teaching in justification by faith, and in putting old Adam to death. Works can't do that, because it has to be the works of the Creator God Himself, and I think that's where the emphasis lies.

Romans 6:16

"Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey (if you are a child of Adam, then that's the one you're going to be serving); whether of sin unto death, or (the other side of the coin) of obedience unto righteousness?"

in the right standing with God, and His Grace, you can enjoy that now and for all eternity. See, that's the only choice in life. there are only two choices for life. Are you going to serve the old Adam who is under the control of Satan, and be entrapped in his eternal doom, or are you going to turn our back on him, and enjoy God's righteousness, bliss, and heaven for ever.
Re: Thou Shalt Not by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:47pm On Jun 28, 2013
shdemidemi: See how foolish you really are, moving from grace to the law. You do not even understand what you read.

Romans 6:15,16a

"What then? shall we sin (let old Adam continue to rule supreme), because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid." Notice the answer is God forbid, but I think a more accurate translation is, "Banish the thought." Don't even think such a thing, because it's nowhere near what God is trying to show us.

"Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are..."

Now he just brings this into the everyday world. If you are employed by someone then naturally he is the one who is going to tell you what he expects of you. He is the one who will be paying your wages, and he is the one you are to give your allegiance to, because you're his employee. Now of course the word `servants' is implying the same thing. Paul again is going to bring everything back to this idea of old Adam.

In other words, no amount of Church membership, works, baptism, sacraments, or elements you can put in here, nothing can do what Paul is teaching in justification by faith, and in putting old Adam to death. Works can't do that, because it has to be the works of the Creator God Himself, and I think that's where the emphasis lies.

Romans 6:16

"Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey (if you are a child of Adam, then that's the one you're going to be serving); whether of sin unto death, or (the other side of the coin) of obedience unto righteousness?"

in the right standing with God, and His Grace, you can enjoy that now and for all eternity. See, that's the only choice in life. there are only two choices for life. Are you going to serve the old Adam who is under the control of Satan, and be entrapped in his eternal doom, or are you going to turn our back on him, and enjoy God's righteousness, bliss, and heaven for ever.

Even though I know that you are not a believer in Christ's sayings neither do you believe that a sinner should repent but I will quote Him nonetheless:

"And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem"
(Luke 24:47)

How can your sins be forgiven if you refuse to repent? Can forgiveness of sins be understood without repentance? If forgiveness of sins can be preached without repentance, it follows that you have imagined that you've already received the forgiveness of sin and this explains why you are braggadocios, cocksure and arrogant, which is a greater sin than all the sin that preceded time.
Re: Thou Shalt Not by shdemidemi(m): 5:07pm On Jun 28, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Even though I know that you are not a believer in Christ's sayings neither do you believe that a sinner should repent but I will quote Him nonetheless:

(Luke 24:47)

How can your sins be forgiven if you refuse to repent? Can forgiveness of sins be understood without repentance? If forgiveness of sins can be preached without repentance, it follows that you have imagined that you've already received the forgiveness of sin and this explains why you are braggadocios, cocksure and arrogant, which is a greater sin than all the sin that preceded time.

Are you ignorant of these things or your mind is just so covered by the vale of the law.

Romans 1
16 For I am not ashamed of the Gospel (good news) of Christ, for it is God’s power working unto salvation [for deliverance from eternal death] to everyone who believes with a personal trust and a confident surrender and firm reliance, to the Jew first and also to the Greek,
17 For in the Gospel a righteousness which God ascribes is revealed, both springing from faith and leading to faith [disclosed through the way of faith that arouses to more faith]. As it is written, The man who through faith is just and upright shall live and shall live by faith.

It says 'believe' not repent. When you believe the power of God is revealed and it leads any man unto repentance.

Be careful with quoting all these your Old Testament , they should reflect the new. The church/ the mystified body of Christ only came into existence after the ascension of Christ.
Re: Thou Shalt Not by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:45pm On Jun 28, 2013
shdemidemi:

Are you ignorant of these things or your mind is just so covered by the vale of the law.

Romans 1
16 For I am not ashamed of the Gospel (good news) of Christ, for it is God’s power working unto salvation [for deliverance from eternal death] to everyone who believes with a personal trust and a confident surrender and firm reliance, to the Jew first and also to the Greek,
17 For in the Gospel a righteousness which God ascribes is revealed, both springing from faith and leading to faith [disclosed through the way of faith that arouses to more faith]. As it is written, The man who through faith is just and upright shall live and shall live by faith.

It says 'believe' not repent. When you believe the power of God is revealed and it leads any man unto repentance.

Be careful with quoting all these your Old Testament , they should reflect the new. The church/ the mystified body of Christ only came into existence after the ascension of Christ.

If you really believe in the Lord Jesus Christ you will believe in what He preached:

"And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent, and believe the gospel"
(Mark 1:15).

You can see that you not only believe the gospel but that you should also repent.
Re: Thou Shalt Not by shdemidemi(m): 6:17pm On Jun 28, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

If you really believe in the Lord Jesus Christ you will believe in what He preached:

(Mark 1:15).

You can see that you not only believe the gospel but that you should also repent.

Wakeup, the Christ you knew in the flesh is different from the risen Christ. The Christ you knew in flesh was under the law, He had to die for the gospel of grace and the Holy Spirit to come. He appeared to Paul and He revealed the gospel to the church. Stop being religious, pick your bible and read.
Re: Thou Shalt Not by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:54pm On Jun 28, 2013
shdemidemi:

Wakeup, the Christ you knew in the flesh is different from the risen Christ. The Christ you knew in flesh was under the law, He had to die for the gospel of grace and the Holy Spirit to come. He appeared to Paul and He revealed the gospel to the church. Stop being religious, pick your bible and read.

Don't be bellicose. Repent and believe the gospel.
Re: Thou Shalt Not by shdemidemi(m): 7:07pm On Jun 28, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Don't be bellicose. Repent and believe the gospel.

You have turned your back at the truth-

11 Therefore God sends upon them a misleading influence, a working of error and a strong delusion to make them believe what is false,

You would rather believe Mr kumuyi to the books, right?
Re: Thou Shalt Not by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:27pm On Jun 28, 2013
shdemidemi:

You have turned your back at the truth-

11 Therefore God sends upon them a misleading influence, a working of error and a strong delusion to make them believe what is false,

You would rather believe Mr kumuyi to the books, right?

Don't be captious. With every crooked index finger you point at others imagine how many fingers that are pointing back at yourself?
Re: Thou Shalt Not by shdemidemi(m): 7:34pm On Jun 28, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Don't be captious. With every crooked index finger you point at others imagine how many fingers that are pointing back at yourself?

Answer questions, if you know what you propagate. You think you can just come online to paste false doctrines from Mr Kumuyi.

(1) (Reply)

Is This a Coincidence / Pastor Ajanaku Is Dead / Should Pastors Know What People Or Church Members Give?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.