Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,242 members, 7,967,545 topics. Date: Saturday, 05 October 2024 at 09:24 PM

Is Nigeria Really The Giant Of Africa? Lets Examine Her Nubers With South Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria Really The Giant Of Africa? Lets Examine Her Nubers With South Africa (851 Views)

Osinbajo To Meet With South-East & South-South NASS Members In Owerri / Buhari Has Drawn The Battle- Line With South-east, South- South. —intersociety / Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria Really The Giant Of Africa? Lets Examine Her Nubers With South Africa by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jun 27, 2013
Nigerians are always totting Nigeria as the giant of Africa…but is that really the truth? What exactly is Nigeria a giant

in? Let’s examine Nigeria’s numbers with South Africa’s….

In 2011, Nigeria’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) was 244 billion USD, while South Africa’s was 408.2 billion USD (World

Bank). Obviously Nigeria is not the giant of Africa in the GDP arena. Nigeria’s GDP at Purchasing power parity (PPP)

was 451 billion in 2012, while South Africa’s was 592 billion (World Bank). Nigeria’s oil export accounts for 83% of

government revenue and 95% of foreign-exchange income (Bloomberg). I mean, Nigeria’s real and nominal GDP is so

undiversified, that if the government stops all the other sectors and ramps up oil production, Nigeria will be 100% oil

dependent nation…that is scary. Although South Africa is a huge mining country, it only accounts for 6% of its GDP,

while agriculture accounts for 2.6%, manufacture 15%, tourism 3%, and tertiary (service sector) accounts for 60% of the

total GDP (World Bank). The population of South Africa is 60 million, and Nigeria’s is 162 million (World Bank).

However, according to Forbes, South Africa has four official billionaires while Nigeria only has two.

So with these numbers…what exactly is Nigeria the giant of? Corruption, poverty, terrible economic policies, and bad

infrastructure?

The title giant of Africa belongs to South Africa...Nigeria still has a long way to go....even with the abuse and

discrimination Nigerians face in South Africa...there is not shortage of Nigerians willing to try their luck in the

rainbow nation....how many South Africans have you ran into in Nigeria? Exactly...so traveling to South Africa sounds

good right about now....
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Giant Of Africa? Lets Examine Her Nubers With South Africa by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jun 27, 2013
Op - 1.kindly elaborate what you mean by official billionaires, 2. Kindly research on this names

1. Aliko Dangote: Owner of Dangote Group and Forbes richest black man.
2. Dr Mike Adenuga: A Silent humble Billionaire, Chairman, Globacom, Equitorial Trust Bank, Conoil and others.
3. Jimoh Ibrahim: Global Fleet and Nicon Group, one of Africa's largest Insurance company
4. Late Sanusi Dantata: Largest licensed buying agent of groundnut and cement. Grand father of Aliko Dangote. He mentored and gave Aliko Dangote a loan of N500,000, excluding other settlement pay in 1976.
5. Olorogun Michael Ibru: The man behind the wealth of the Ibru Family.
6. Pascal Dozie: Silent Billionaire, founder of Diamond Bank, MTN Nigeria Ltd etc.
7. Late Gen Sani Abacha: Former Head of State
8. Rtd Gen Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida: Former Head of State and frontline politicianan
9. Umaru Abdul Mutallab: Mutallab Group, former chairman of First Bank Plc. If not for the terrorism act of his son, nobody would have known much about this silent billionaire.
10. Orji Uzor Kalu: Slok Group, former Governor and frontline Politician
11. Alhaji Shehu Dantata: Dantata Group
12. Femi Otedola Chaiman of AP and owner of Zenon Oil and Gas
13. Harry Akande: Frontline politician and Business manan.

South Africa is a baby when it comes to billionaires,... Perhaps, your definition of a 'billionaire' is different? undecided

3. I think you're just seeking attention

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Giant Of Africa? Lets Examine Her Nubers With South Africa by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jun 27, 2013
Oh, I forgot ...... Nigerian Billionaire Oil Tycoon, Folorunsho Alakija .. wink

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Giant Of Africa? Lets Examine Her Nubers With South Africa by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jun 27, 2013
scipher: Oh, I forgot ...... Nigerian Billionaire Oil Tycoon, Folorunsho Alakija .. wink

good you made a list...but what is your source? how do you know these guys are billionaires? did they show you their bank

accounts or assets? i got my info from Forbes...where did you get yours? yeah am just seeking attention...because i dont

get enough..as it is...
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Giant Of Africa? Lets Examine Her Nubers With South Africa by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jun 27, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

good you made a list...but what is your source? how do you know these guys are billionaires? did they show you their bank

accounts or assets? i [b]got my info from Forbes
...where did you get yours? yeah am just seeking attention...because i dont

get enough..as it is...[/b]
Dude, seriously?.. Like seriously
Aliko dangote
Folorunsho
Femi otedola
Adenuga
Have always 'danced' on Forbes lists ... Nigeria has a lot of oil tycoons that just prefer staying on a low key, in fact dangote is not rich... undecided
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Giant Of Africa? Lets Examine Her Nubers With South Africa by Nobody: 4:00am On Jun 28, 2013
scipher:
Dude, seriously?.. Like seriously
Aliko dangote
Folorunsho
Femi otedola
Adenuga
Have always 'danced' on Forbes lists ... Nigeria has a lot of oil tycoons that just prefer staying on a low key, in fact dangote is not rich... undecided

you are not really making any sense....how do you know these guys are billionaires?
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Giant Of Africa? Lets Examine Her Nubers With South Africa by Nobody: 4:16am On Jun 28, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

accounts or assets? i got my info from Forbes...where did you get yours? yeah am just seeking attention...because i dont

get enough..as it is...

Lololololol.....just stop it
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Giant Of Africa? Lets Examine Her Nubers With South Africa by Nobody: 6:25am On Jun 28, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Lololololol.....just stop it

smiley wink wink
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Giant Of Africa? Lets Examine Her Nubers With South Africa by Henrypraise: 7:10am On Jun 28, 2013
Av u heard of shekau or brown ideye? Maybe my handle is d source, south africans not until blacks are in control can u start talkin bladderdash. Go work in ur mines n neva get paid.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Giant Of Africa? Lets Examine Her Nubers With South Africa by ba7man(m): 8:30am On Jun 28, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

you are not really making any sense....how do you know these guys are billionaires?
There are Dollar Billionaires in Nigeria that even Nigerians aren't aware of their names........ That's the effect of corruption and knowing people in power before you can make serious progress in your business....... Nigeria has far more economic potentials that you will ever find in South Africa but corruption isn't letting the wealth spread........ Ask the South African companies that are flocking into Nigeria how their lucks turned around when they came in.......... A population of 120million to purchase your product isn't somthing you run into everyday, i just wish our local enterpreneurs and businessmen realize our potentials, rather that inviting foreign companies to exploit it.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Giant Of Africa? Lets Examine Her Nubers With South Africa by Nobody: 10:20am On Jun 28, 2013
Nigeria is deemed to have better prospects than any of African Countries if Her resources were Optimally utilised !!!

Really,it is insulting and embarrasing to be comparing Nigeria with SouthAfrica, though with the calibre of rascals @ the helm of affairs,Nigeria as it is ,is still comparable to the best of ZA !!!

Nigeria has the Potential to be the Giant of Africa but MANAGEMENT is the problem !!!

Those @ the helms of affairs aint suppose to be there luckily for us, they will become irrelevant very soon by our VOTE and Nigeria will soon take HER rightful position in the comity of Nations !!!!

'' GIANT OF AFRICA''

(1) (Reply)

FUGITIVE! ‘DSP Alamieyeseigha Steals $700,000 Bayelsa State Money’-us GOVT / House Of Reps Report Indicts Adoke, Shell And Agip In Malabu Oil Deal / Dame Patience, Our President’s Darling Wife- An Opinion By Reuben Abati In 2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.