Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,831 members, 7,906,050 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 01:24 AM

Medical Negligence And Misdiagnoses By Medical Doctors : Your Views - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Medical Negligence And Misdiagnoses By Medical Doctors : Your Views (1972 Views)

Woman Dies In Tender Hospital Enugu Due To Alleged Negligence / How Doctor’s Negligence Made Me Impotent (pictured) / Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Medical Negligence And Misdiagnoses By Medical Doctors : Your Views by mingiix: 2:11pm On May 14, 2008
I am a doctor practicing in the UK for the past 9 years ( I also worked as a doctor in Nigeria for about 3years post med School).
Last year, I lost my elder brother in a ?private clinic in yenegoa. It opened my eyes to how much misdiagnoses patients are left to contend with in nigerian hospitals. He was 58yrs old. He came back from work breathless and was rushed to the "best ?private clinic. He was given intravenous ADRENALINE even though his BP was over 180/110 ( The doctor told me this over the phone when I called to make enquiries about the circumstances surrounding his death). The injection of this drug most likely aggravated his condition and induced a cardiac arrythmia. He was subsequently defibriillated (shocked) even though there was no ECG or cardiac monitor to show what rythm he was in. It is my belief that he was shocked for the benefit of relatives present.

To make matters worse. My family was treated with utmost disdain by the hospital when I arrived Nigeria for the funeral about 2 months later. I had visited the clinic in the company of my wife to find out exactly what happened. The MD (an ortopaedic surgeon) had without tact told me that my brother was moribound and would have died even if he was taken to the best clinic in Europe ( My brother was talking when he arrived the clinic). I felt he said that to impress my wife who is white and also a UK based doctor. She was horrified and told him what she felt the hospital had done wrong. Trust Nigerians. Our doctors know all and will never admit their faults.

Until the culture of medical litigation is ingrained in our people, such negligence,misdiagnosis and unprofessional behaviour will go on unhindered ( This is ironic because my dad will not allow me to sue the hospital and also report the doctor to the Nigerian Medical and Dental Council because the doctor is from our village). Can you beat that?
Re: Medical Negligence And Misdiagnoses By Medical Doctors : Your Views by reindeer: 11:40pm On May 14, 2008
@poster
im also a doctor here in nigeria and i lost a colleague( a fellow doctor) at a private hospital in lagos.There is no gainsaying that the practice out here is suffering from lack of monitoring and supervision.
The reason hospitals conitnue trash is because people dont litigate in nija, My friend had just delivered a live male baby by CS, the husband didnt feel suing the hospital or reporting to the MDCN was going to achieve anything, whats gone is gone!
Needless to say Nigeria has some of the best brains as doctors (you are even nija trained yourself), i have worked with great people and i work with one currently.
I dont think what happened is an indictment on doctors here, its an indictment on the people who do nothing when wronged and on the system that protects mediocrity.
Re: Medical Negligence And Misdiagnoses By Medical Doctors : Your Views by Horus(m): 6:52am On Mar 22, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSj07z8ctQg

Medical Negligence in Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

How To Get Your Tummy Back After Post Child Birth / How To Get Rid Of Pimples Overnight, Naturally And Fast / 148 New Cases Of #COVID19;

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.