Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,562 members, 7,965,235 topics. Date: Thursday, 03 October 2024 at 10:39 AM

Reasons Why You Must Own Your House - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Reasons Why You Must Own Your House (23446 Views)

What Will You Do If This Was Your House?(photo) / Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route / Give your House A Quality Pop Design (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by Greatken007(m): 8:23pm On Jun 29, 2013
EVEN IF NA BACHER JUST TRY BUILD SOMETHING ITS MAIN PURPOSE IS FOR SHELTER

Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by Ninilowo(m): 8:27pm On Jun 29, 2013
Na teeth dem dey take build? Na so e dey shak pple wey just build finish. Those wey never build make dem con run enter bush abi. Our father did not build a kiosk buh he built us and now he has his own house coutesy his children (we). Make una no con here dey frighten pple o jare. We don see pple wey start to build house and na dem corpse live there.
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:29pm On Jun 29, 2013
Seriously this post is meant for me. I have been having hard time with my dad since I declare myself as ATHEIST. My mum understand my views and she still deal with me like a mother but dad sees me as devil..........I have peace only when I resume to school.
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by okeypaul(m): 8:29pm On Jun 29, 2013
HomesOfLife: The need to build your own house can NEVER be over- emphasized. As I said in my earlier post, building a house should not be seen as a luxury to anybody; it is a necessity. Nelson Mandela said, “If a man has not built a house, he has not got a home”. Another wise man said “If you have no roof over your head, you have no root.”
Building your own house should be your focus; it should be your prayer, hunger, aspiration, joy and vision.
Here are 13 solid reasons why you must build your own house.

1. To Prepare for Old Age One of the best ways to prepare for old age is to build your own house. What do you think will happen when you celebrate your 80th birthday and you still need to pay rent?

2. Rent is rising – Precisely April last year, Agents were complaining about the hike of Miniflats in Bode Thomas and environs from the usual 250-300k to 400k. Guess how much a standard Miniflat in that area goes for now? 700k! Yes, 700k! Just in case you’re confused, a Miniflat is a room and Parlour with the usually conveniences. How much do you think Miniflats in that area would go for in 20years from now? Get out of that house. Go and build your own. No matter how prayerful you are, the rent will continue to increase.

3. To show that you’re wise – Only wise people build, you’re not rich until you’re living in your own house.

4. Building Materials are becoming costlier- If you’re waiting till a Bag of cement will become N100 before you build, then you may never build. Building materials are become more costly. Therefore, the earlier you build the better.

5. Landlords are difficult – You’re not in your Landlord’s house because he loves you; his relationship with you is purely financial. Don’t make the mistake of thinking he will not increase the rent. Asides that, there may be a lot of rules and regulations like; “You must not use a generators”, “You must come back before 9pm”, “You can’t park more than one car(if you get to park any at all)”, “You must not pound yam”, etc. A friend told me of how his Landlord said he must arrive home every day before 8pm or the gate would be locked and he mustn’t bring “strange” people (his friends) into the compound. To be totally free from any Landlord, you must build your house.

6. It is the best legacy for your children – The best you can leave for your children is a house; not cars, clothes or even money. Proverbs 13:22

7. To have a permanent house address – Until you build your own house, you have not gotten a house address. Tenants are known for moving from one house to another for one reason or the other, losing friends and breaking relationships in the process.

8. To stop living a life of fear – Most Tenants are always afraid and apprehensive towards the time rent will be due, while Landlords would be happy as pay day draws closer. Tenants are always afraid of three things:
(i) Payment of old rates : Some have to take loan, save extensively or even sell some properties so as to meet up with payment.

(ii) Increment: Tenants also live in the fear of an increment of the rent which is often done when a rent is due.

(iii) Quit notice: This is the most painful thing to a tenant, because quit notice is most often the Landlord’s tactics to increase the rent or for the tenant to leave the premises owing to a silly little misunderstanding mostly caused by envy; yes your Landlord can be envious of you, especially when you’re driving the latest camry and he’s just managing his outdated V-boot. Get back at him by building your own!

9. To fulfil one of life’s simplest goals – Getting married, having children, building a house are some of life’s major goals. Almost everybody achieves the first two(by choice or force), but few people achieve the last one. You will achieve it in Jesus name. Building a house is a must-to-be all round success.

10. Problems of Estate Agents – To Estate Agents reading this, I’m sorry I had to chip this in. Estate Agents are sometimes another source of problem to Tenants. They make things difficult for tenants. Some dupe prospective tenants while some collect more than 10% agency fee thereby cauusing tenants untold hardship. The only way to avoid the problem of Agents is to build your own house.

See You at the top!
Segun Babs.
to build house no easy oo.
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by Jarus(m): 9:17pm On Jun 29, 2013
I agree with OP

There is nothing like having one's own house.

Alhamdulilah, close to rounding up mine too. You can imagine th fulfilment that comes with it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by Jarus(m): 9:22pm On Jun 29, 2013
Ninilowo: Na teeth dem dey take build? Na so e dey shak pple wey just build finish. Those wey never build make dem con run enter bush abi. Our father did not build a kiosk buh he built us and now he has his own house coutesy his children (we). Make una no con here dey frighten pple o jare. We don see pple wey start to build house and na dem corpse live there.

He is just advising you and reminding you to put in plans. Started mine one year after securing my first job. Today, 4 years on, 95% completed
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by Christmasdon(m): 9:31pm On Jun 29, 2013
...eziokwu ihe a wu ihe mere eme. Mmadu i ji aka ya ruo ulo nke ya bu nno ihe mara nnukwu mma. I vunyela m uche. Anwuna....

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by trolling(m): 9:44pm On Jun 29, 2013
you build a house and it goes back to the dust...dont wanna live in a house made with hands
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by akonucheinfo(m): 10:39pm On Jun 29, 2013
larger_20: Maybe in Nigeria.....I actually favor renting Vs buying a home and here is why

1. You Stay Flexible

Do you have every aspect of your life planned out for the next several years? Whether or not you do, things can change quickly. Renting gives you flexibility. You can pack up all your things and move with short notice, and maybe an early termination fee. Compare that to the process of selling a house, which can take months.
2. You Have More Options

With the housing market at a low, people are reluctant to sell their houses and condos. So they turn to renting instead. As a result, the market for renting is bigger and has better options than the buying one. Rentalads.com is a rental property website with thousands of rental choices. It allows you to search your options and select your choice with the click of a mouse.
3. Owning Can Be More Expensive

Some people balk at renting because they don’t want to spend money on something they’ll never gain ownership of. But homeowners also spend a lot of money on fees and taxes that never apply to their principle or equity.
4. Renters Insurance Is Affordable

Renters insurance is significantly more affordable than homeowners insurance. Even with the lower cost, you can still get substantial protection and coverage.
5. Rental Rates Are Steady

Right now the housing market is low, but it won’t always be. It’s always changing. Remember the roller coaster? In contrast, rental rates stay the same. There is some variation, but it’s not as frequent or as drastic as variations in housing costs.
6. Someone Else Does Repairs

When something breaks in your home, you are the one who has to fix it or fork over the cash to replace it. A new refrigerator alone can cost thousands of dollars. Some rental contracts require the landlord to take care of most repairs and replacements.
7. The Issue of Taxes

Renters don’t have to pay property tax. Sure, you might be required to bear some of the expense in your monthly rent. But the landlord will have to deal with the brunt of the cost and most of the tax paperwork. Another reason why renting a house is better is that homeowner tax deductions are overstated. In fact, half of homeowners don’t get a tax break.
8. Vacation Homes

We all envy the people who can afford to own vacation homes. Well, now you can be one of them for a fraction of the cost. Vacation homes are available for rent all over the US. The expense is reduced, but the novelty and fun are not.
9. Renters Have Less Liability

Lightning strikes without warning. Washer pipes break and flood your basement. Renters who are without fault don’t have to carry the liability when the unexpected occurs.
10. No Mortgage!

Anyone who’s had a mortgage knows how draining and time consuming it can be. The stifling legal requirements and procedures. The piles of paperwork that look like gibberish. The long process of modifying or refinancing. Not to mention the risk of getting overcharged by your lender; which has become a common problem recently. You can easily avoid all of this by renting.

Source: http://www.10reasons.org/renting-a-house/

too bad, oyinbo system done finish you. better learn from the op and start yours now, if you have the $$$ before its late

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by Emade(m): 12:11am On Jun 30, 2013
True talk my friend but sumtime money is d problem also sum have mis use der moni..Sum use d moni to buy land to buy car,use money to build d house to buy beer going frum club house to club house changin girl n going frum one hotel to another....God have mercy on us...

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by beatricewebb: 1:26am On Jun 30, 2013
Ninilowo: Na teeth dem dey take build? Na so e dey shak pple wey just build finish. Those wey never build make dem con run enter bush abi. Our father did not build a kiosk buh he built us and now he has his own house coutesy his children (we). Make una no con here dey frighten pple o jare. We don see pple wey start to build house and na dem corpse live there.

Unsound mind

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by kolamilan(m): 1:54am On Jun 30, 2013
this is the type of thread that should be making it to the FP @op nyc one.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 1:59am On Jun 30, 2013
IF U OWN A LAND CRUISER OR A LAND ROVER AND U STILL HAVE A LANDLORD, THEN U DESERVE TO BE LANDED A DIRTY SLAP.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by mjames: 2:57am On Jun 30, 2013
andyanders: That is the simple truth spoken here by OP.

In fact, it was my landlord's attitude that motivated me to get my own property and also become a landlord, collecting rent from other properties I put up.
The landlord from nowhere came and increased my rent and as a result, I had no choice than to make a very good move of getting a land and putting a 5 bedroom in-suite with 6 toilets and a BQ.I later found out that it is even cheaper and better to build up your own house if you a willing than getting imprisoned as a result of that beautiful building you rented.
That my landlords attitude has made me to have about 4 properties now.
When you have a stubborn landlord, only then you can start thinking of getting yours.

You dont have to have a stubborn landlord, if you want to think start thinking.
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by StepG: 8:24am On Jun 30, 2013
HomesOfLife: The need to build your own house can NEVER be over- emphasized. As I said in my earlier post, building a house should not be seen as a luxury to anybody; it is a necessity. Nelson Mandela said, “If a man has not built a house, he has not got a home”. Another wise man said “If you have no roof over your head, you have no root.”
Building your own house should be your focus; it should be your prayer, hunger, aspiration, joy and vision.
Here are 13 solid reasons why you must build your own house.

1. To Prepare for Old Age One of the best ways to prepare for old age is to build your own house. What do you think will happen when you celebrate your 80th birthday and you still need to pay rent?

2. Rent is rising – Precisely April last year, Agents were complaining about the hike of Miniflats in Bode Thomas and environs from the usual 250-300k to 400k. Guess how much a standard Miniflat in that area goes for now? 700k! Yes, 700k! Just in case you’re confused, a Miniflat is a room and Parlour with the usually conveniences. How much do you think Miniflats in that area would go for in 20years from now? Get out of that house. Go and build your own. No matter how prayerful you are, the rent will continue to increase.

3. To show that you’re wise – Only wise people build, you’re not rich until you’re living in your own house.

4. Building Materials are becoming costlier- If you’re waiting till a Bag of cement will become N100 before you build, then you may never build. Building materials are become more costly. Therefore, the earlier you build the better.

5. Landlords are difficult – You’re not in your Landlord’s house because he loves you; his relationship with you is purely financial. Don’t make the mistake of thinking he will not increase the rent. Asides that, there may be a lot of rules and regulations like; “You must not use a generators”, “You must come back before 9pm”, “You can’t park more than one car(if you get to park any at all)”, “You must not pound yam”, etc. A friend told me of how his Landlord said he must arrive home every day before 8pm or the gate would be locked and he mustn’t bring “strange” people (his friends) into the compound. To be totally free from any Landlord, you must build your house.

6. It is the best legacy for your children – The best you can leave for your children is a house; not cars, clothes or even money. Proverbs 13:22

7. To have a permanent house address – Until you build your own house, you have not gotten a house address. Tenants are known for moving from one house to another for one reason or the other, losing friends and breaking relationships in the process.

8. To stop living a life of fear – Most Tenants are always afraid and apprehensive towards the time rent will be due, while Landlords would be happy as pay day draws closer. Tenants are always afraid of three things:
(i) Payment of old rates : Some have to take loan, save extensively or even sell some properties so as to meet up with payment.

(ii) Increment: Tenants also live in the fear of an increment of the rent which is often done when a rent is due.

(iii) Quit notice: This is the most painful thing to a tenant, because quit notice is most often the Landlord’s tactics to increase the rent or for the tenant to leave the premises owing to a silly little misunderstanding mostly caused by envy; yes your Landlord can be envious of you, especially when you’re driving the latest camry and he’s just managing his outdated V-boot. Get back at him by building your own!

9. To fulfil one of life’s simplest goals – Getting married, having children, building a house are some of life’s major goals. Almost everybody achieves the first two(by choice or force), but few people achieve the last one. You will achieve it in Jesus name. Building a house is a must-to-be all round success.

10. Problems of Estate Agents – To Estate Agents reading this, I’m sorry I had to chip this in. Estate Agents are sometimes another source of problem to Tenants. They make things difficult for tenants. Some dupe prospective tenants while some collect more than 10% agency fee thereby cauusing tenants untold hardship. The only way to avoid the problem of Agents is to build your own house.

See You at the top!
Segun Babs.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by ProfOwah(m): 4:28pm On Jun 30, 2013
well to an extends i agree with d write, because landlords dis days, infrings pain on their tenents by increae house rent, give dem unnecessary conditions n lots more:::::::::
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by HomesOfLife(m): 7:46pm On Jun 30, 2013
Prof. Owah:
well to an extends i agree with d write, because landlords dis days, infrings pain on their tenents by increae house rent, give dem unnecessary conditions n lots more:::::::::
true
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by Deco007: 9:49pm On Jun 30, 2013
obadiah777: YOU DONT GET TO OWN THE HOUSE YOU PAID FOR. YOU ARE ONLY BORROWING IT WHEN YOU ARE ALIVE. WHEN YOU ARE DEAD IT BELONGS TO SOMEONE ELSE. YOU DONT REALLY OWN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD. YOU ARE JUST BORROWING IT ALL WHILE ON EARTH. PONDER ON THAT wink
Obadia what u're saying does not really make any sense true no body wil live 4reva but wil u b'cos of that prefer to remain a tenant all the days of ur life,think about ur children what will u tell them u were doing when other building theirs.I thank God for the life of my parent but i hope to av my own one day.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by dorggito1(m): 8:27am On Jul 01, 2013
Very nice post.definitely starting my foundation structure by december at least to start frm them nd carry on wen ther is bigger cash.
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by Nobody: 10:27am On Jul 01, 2013
Its better building your own house
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by Lagosboy: 12:26pm On Jul 01, 2013
Jarus: I agree with OP

There is nothing like having one's own house.

Alhamdulilah, close to rounding up mine too. You can imagine th fulfilment that comes with it.

Hey Jarus! Nice cute bungalow u got there. Where is it located. In'sha Allah you will round it up sooner than you thought.
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by Jarus(m): 12:42pm On Jul 01, 2013
Lagosboy:

Hey Jarus! Nice cute bungalow u got there. Where is it located. In'sha Allah you will round it up sooner than you thought.

Thanks my brother. Doing it as my Kwara countryhome. Plan to 'warm' it this ileya insha Allah.

You'be been quiet on the I4M section of late? Hope all is well?
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by Lagosboy: 1:07pm On Jul 01, 2013
Jarus:

Thanks my brother. Doing it as my Kwara countryhome. Plan to 'warm' it this ileya insha Allah.

You'be been quiet on the I4M section of late? Hope all is well?

Very true, i have been quiet from the whole NL of late as i have been really busy. But all is well, we thank God. Thanks for checking on me though! wink That's a good plan for a holiday home then!
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by Aigbehis(m): 2:21pm On Jul 01, 2013
deejay_harry1: if money no com dey to own d house nko

hmmmm..

People when they build d houses around, na 2head dey get? May be money will come when u are 94yrs.
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by Aigbehis(m): 3:35pm On Jul 01, 2013
larger_20: Maybe in Nigeria.....I actually favor renting Vs buying a home and here is why

1. You Stay Flexible

Do you have every aspect of your life planned out for the next several years? Whether or not you do, things can change quickly. Renting gives you flexibility. You can pack up all your things and move with short notice, and maybe an early termination fee. Compare that to the process of selling a house, which can take months.
2. You Have More Options

With the housing market at a low, people are reluctant to sell their houses and condos. So they turn to renting instead. As a result, the market for renting is bigger and has better options than the buying one. Rentalads.com is a rental property website with thousands of rental choices. It allows you to search your options and select your choice with the click of a mouse.

Some people balk at renting because they don’t want to spend money on something they’ll never gain ownership of. But homeowners also spend a lot of money on fees and taxes that never apply to their principle or equity.

Renters insurance is significantly more affordable than homeowners insurance. Even with the lower cost, you can still get substantial protection and coverage.

Right now the housing market is low, but it won’t always be. It’s always changing. Remember the roller coaster? In contrast, rental rates stay the same. There is some variation, but it’s not as frequent or as drastic as variations in housing costs.

When something breaks in your home, you are the one who has to fix it or fork over the cash to replace it. A new refrigerator alone can cost thousands of dollars. Some rental contracts require the landlord to take care of most repairs and replacements.
7. The Issue of Taxes

Renters don’t have to pay property tax. Sure, you might be required to bear some of the expense in your monthly rent. But the landlord will have to deal with the brunt of the cost and most of the tax paperwork. Another reason why renting a house is better is that homeowner tax deductions are overstated. In fact, half of homeowners don’t get a tax break.
8. Vacation Homes

We all envy the people who can afford to own vacation homes. Well, now you can be one of them for a fraction of the cost. Vacation homes are available for rent all over the US. The expense is reduced, but the novelty and fun are not.

Lightning strikes without warning. Washer pipes break and flood your basement. Renters who are without fault don’t have to carry the liability when the unexpected occurs.
10. No Mortgage!

Anyone who’s had a mortgage knows how draining and time consuming it can be. The stifling legal requirements and procedures. The piles of paperwork that look like gibberish. The long process of modifying or refinancing. Not to mention the risk of getting overcharged by your lender; which has become a common problem recently. You can easily avoid all of this by renting.

Own a house and that alone abolishes the ten flimsy reasons you gave supporting tenancy.
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by albacete(m): 5:52pm On Jul 01, 2013

1. You Stay Flexible

2. You Have More Options

7. The Issue of Taxes

8. Vacation Homes

10. No Mortgage!

What i can deduce from your post is that you must be a landlord. This topic is written in a Nigerian context, not some overseas property system

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by HomesOfLife(m): 7:12pm On Jul 03, 2013
true
albacete:

What i can deduce from your post is that you must be a landlord. This topic is written in a Nigerian context, not some overseas property system
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by HomesOfLife(m): 4:48pm On Jul 09, 2013
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by HomesOfLife(m): 9:02pm On Jul 21, 2013
smiley
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by HomesOfLife(m): 6:14pm On Aug 04, 2013
Happy Weekend Prospective Landlords
Re: Reasons Why You Must Own Your House by HomesOfLife(m): 6:52pm On Aug 25, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Fight With My Landlord / Hotel Building Collapses In Ibadan, 7 People Injured / Drop Your Briefs, Get A Building Design

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.