Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,862 members, 7,889,878 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 11:36 PM

Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage (16538 Views)

A Nairalander's Court Wedding Reception Photos / What's The Cost Of Marriage Certificates And Courthouse Marriages In Nigeria / Mosque/Church Or Court/Registry Marriage .... Which One Is Better And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by jossy501: 8:40pm On Jul 05, 2013
paramajit: ffff
Meaning ?
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by InvertedHammer: 8:45pm On Jul 05, 2013
/

I believe the standard is Traditional and Church wedding.

Most people do Court wedding when there are travel documents involved. Or not.

//
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by ainabeosei: 8:54pm On Jul 05, 2013
Traditional marriage is d best and only approved by d bible.lt is d foundation of all other marriages, was d only marriage attended by christ.lt is money saving, commands our cultural respect.Others are jara.

1 Like

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:26pm On Jul 05, 2013
Everybody here just shouting traditional wedding, traditional wedding. Though it is good and I so much welcome such. But do you even know what tradition speaks about marriage?

Well we are brought up from different family background and different society. In my own tradition, you are automatically married to someone you have s.ex with. S.ex symbolize union and commitment of coming together as one. Those party you see outside means approval of the two family for allowing relationship between their child. On that ceremony night, both the bride and the groom will have s.ex and the groom must testify that his bride is tear rubber......not yet disflower.

But can we still get virgin boy or not yet disflower gal above 18 years old on this forum? NOPE
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by rezzy: 9:38pm On Jul 05, 2013
Nosyke:

Wow, its good to see someone that shares the same sentiments with me (coming from a Lady, its awesome) , give me Trad and I have been commissioned to start the baby production business.

Lolzz

See your life? I guess you are igbo. They are good at producing babies like chicken and later send them out for maids.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by rezzy: 9:40pm On Jul 05, 2013
As a would-be-pastor's wife, church wedding is compulsory. And i prefer it o
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by rezzy: 9:43pm On Jul 05, 2013
FOLYKAZE: Everybody here just shouting traditional wedding, traditional wedding. Though it is good and I so much welcome such. But do you even know what tradition speaks about marriage?

Well we are brought up from different family background and different society. In my own tradition, you are automatically married to someone you have s.ex with. S.ex symbolize union and commitment of coming together as one. Those party you see outside means approval of the two family for allowing relationship between their child. On that ceremony night, both the bride and the groom will have s.ex and the groom must testify that his bride is tear rubber......not yet disflower.

But can we still get virgin boy or not yet disflower gal above 18 years old on this forum? NOPE

I dont get you maybe its because i failed GST 101
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by babaijo(m): 10:53pm On Jul 05, 2013
there is no difference btw trad and white/church wedding, i would go for my own way of doing it.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Vado(m): 11:45pm On Jul 05, 2013
Church, doesn't have to be fancy/elaborate but in the presence of the Almighty.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Nobody: 12:41am On Jul 06, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Nobody: 1:16am On Jul 06, 2013
Court- Church/Nekai - Traditional.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by philogos4: 8:02am On Jul 06, 2013
Traditional wedding is the best form of Marriage< in traditional marriage all concerns come together, infact after ur traditional wedding, any other wedding is just a formality,The name traditional counts.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by komek(m): 8:23am On Jul 06, 2013
ogugua88: I'd hope to only do one. I don't know which is the best, but my preference is a court wedding or a traditional one. The selfish me would love a very small court wedding. The nice me will do a trad and invite people. I'd put traditional weddings above court.

I no send church/white weddings.

Ogugua, ur intelligience is just on the high side. Most times I ask mysef if really u ar this young.
Nice one from u.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by bravolad(m): 9:08am On Jul 06, 2013
There has been a variety of views and opinions but we need to put things in perspective and context of our African identity and cultural heritage. I believe we are talking about marriage in Africa not in Europe or America.

To that extent, there are some laws regarding marriage rites in which case traditional or customary marriage is more important. This is because the the brides parents would need to sanction the union. It also involves the whole community of her Kinsmen witnessing and giving support to it. In Africa, after traditional marriage, a man is deemed married both by his kinsmen and in-laws. They could live without the white wedding. But you cannot just take a woman to the church for white wedding without fulfilling the traditional rites of marriage. Even if some church grants such wedding, the woman's family will challenge it. It also spells doom for the man if anything happens to the woman; the man must remarry the woman in death before her kinsmen.

Before, you are wedded in any church in Nigeria, you are required to prove that you have done the traditional marriage. This also implies that the groom has obtained the permission of the brides parents to marry their daughter. Much as I know, the Catholic Church will not wed you if you do not fulfill this requirement. More so, the church will equally require you to have done the registry aspect of marriage to fulfill the legal requirement of the law before the white wedding. When I wedded in the Catholic Church some years back, both were required before the church accepted the wedding.

While the registry gives a legal backing especially for women, the church/white wedding is merely for God's blessing. This so called white wedding was imposed on us by the British and they made it a requirement for the issuance of visas for a woman to travel to the UK with the husband and family. I personally feel it is discriminatory because married men are not required to provide it. (This is a discussion for another day). No sentiment please.

On the contrary, both forms of marriage can be relatively organized with a little budget and expenses, but this is a country where the majority of people follow the band wagon effect. I have seen families disintegrating because one family wants the society kind of ceremony while the other requires a low-key affair.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Nosyke(m): 9:13am On Jul 06, 2013
rezzy:

See your life? I guess you are igbo. They are good at producing babies like chicken and later send them out for maids.

You must be in need of a brain transplant. How does the Igbo race come into my post. Yes I am Igbo, so what?

If you can't see the humour in my post, please try jumping the next cliff, you bigot .

#CertifiedMumu#
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by bamto(m): 12:07pm On Jul 06, 2013
At this age, some 'educated' persons still allow what they want to becloud their reasoning? Smh...
You should be mindful of what you need, not just what you want.
My 2 cents:
1. Traditional wedding is mere formalities if you will still go for 'court wedding'
2. Traditional wedding alone is not safe. Matters of custody, maintenance, inheritance, etc are uncertain (especially for the woman)
3. 'Court' wedding and 'Church' wedding are legally the same, as long as your church is licensed to conduct wedding. They are both Marriage under the Act.
4. If your church isn't licensed and you do 'church wedding' without going to the Registry, you're legally 'not married' Churches, like Catholic church and some new generation churches are not licensed to conduct wedding. The certificates they issue, in the eye of the law, are mere pieces of paper. Be warned!!
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by bamto(m): 12:17pm On Jul 06, 2013
bravolad: There has been a variety of views and opinions but we need to put things in perspective and context of our African identity and cultural heritage. I believe we are talking about marriage in Africa not in Europe or America.

To that extent, there are some laws regarding marriage rites in which case traditional or customary marriage is more important. This is because the the brides parents would need to sanction the union. It also involves the whole community of her Kinsmen witnessing and giving support to it. In Africa, after traditional marriage, a man is deemed married both by his kinsmen and in-laws. They could live without the white wedding. But you cannot just take a woman to the church for white wedding without fulfilling the traditional rites of marriage. Even if some church grants such wedding, the woman's family will challenge it. It also spells doom for the man if anything happens to the woman; the man must remarry the woman in death before her kinsmen.

Before, you are wedded in any church in Nigeria, you are required to prove that you have done the traditional marriage. This also implies that the groom has obtained the permission of the brides parents to marry their daughter. Much as I know, the Catholic Church will not wed you if you do not fulfill this requirement. More so, the church will equally require you to have done the registry aspect of marriage to fulfill the legal requirement of the law before the white wedding. When I wedded in the Catholic Church some years back, both were required before the church accepted the wedding.

While the registry gives a legal backing especially for women, the church/white wedding is merely for God's blessing. This so called white wedding was imposed on us by the British and they made it a requirement for the issuance of visas for a woman to travel to the UK with the husband and family. I personally feel it is discriminatory because married men are not required to provide it. (This is a discussion for another day). No sentiment please.

On the contrary, both forms of marriage can be relatively organized with a little budget and expenses, but this is a country where the majority of people follow the band wagon effect. I have seen families disintegrating because one family wants the society kind of ceremony while the other requires a low-key affair.

None of our matrimonial laws in Nigeria insists on traditional wedding before statutory. None insists on parents approval either. As long as you are not a minor (leSs than 21) you can get married with or without trad wedding or parental consent. However, some churches insist on both as a matter of 'church tradition.' The catholic church u mentioned insist on registry first cos they are not licensed (Catholic church does not believe in being subject to human authority in such matters) other orthodox churches like anglican, methodist and baptist conduct weddings without first going to registry.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by ogene70: 4:54pm On Jul 06, 2013
SP.Special:
Sincerely, for me i only prefer church wedding, court can only be done for future purpose. Traditional is just boring and not inspiring. No sermon::::::::::::

so the sermons you hear almost evey sunday and other church weddings you attend are not enough? then you can ask you pastor to come live with you and your hubby after wedding to ensure you listen to sermon always...yeye talk, just say you want to show off with your wedding gown on facebook and we'l understand.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by dom(m): 4:49am On Jul 07, 2013
only three types of marriages are recognised under nigerian laws. They are:Traditional Marriage, Islamic Marriage and Statutory Marriage (which the layman tagged Court Marriage, maybe because it can only be dissolved in the Court. High Court for that matter). church marriage has no place under our laws. Its seen as church blessing. In OBIEKWE V. OBIEKWE (1963) 7 ENLR 196@199 it was held that "Legally, a marriage in a church (of any denomination) is either a marriage under the ordinance or it is nothing... If the parties have not been validly married under the ordinance then either they are married under native law and custom or they are not married at all. in either case the ceremony in a church would have made not a scrap of difference to their legal status."
For a church marriage to be legally recognised the church must be designated as a "Licensed Place of Worship". Wedding there would ipso facto obviate the need for a statutory wedding. You'll be shocked to know that very very few churches have bothered to obtain this license that could ultimately reduce stress for intending couples. having said that, I'm really not keen on traditional marriage and "court marriage." Wedding in a licensed parish suffices for me.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by isaco(m): 5:43am On Jul 07, 2013
ngosayogie: Let's say tonnes of people find themselves i this situation and so they decide to resolve it by doing both (Church and traditional or court and traditional). In our modern age, tradition is turning into something that is more moral rather than being legally binding. So if you do a traditional marriage and no registry, then in the eyes of the law, you are not married...let's say something comes up latter in life and you need to prove your marriage or something, then traditional marriage would not really hold much ground...but because of our traditional heritage, the bride's parents would likely want you to have one (That's if they don't mind, although in rare cases). Church weddings are legally binding just like court weddings because the couples to be need to fulfill legal requirements first. In the days of old what our forefathers did were just their normal weddings which we now come to know as traditional weddings today because then the laws of the white man had not taken over our ways of life like today. Since today it's all about the law, I'd advice you to go for one of the two earlier stated options that's if a traditional wedding is still at the back of your mind. Although it's up to you.
u hv just spoken my mind. What u need is d evidence of marriage, Marriage Certificate, or d video or pictures taking in ur traditional marriage to prove u r married. Most importantly, ur Certificate. Do u know some churches r not qualify to conduct marriage? That's why many ppl marriage today r fake! Not legal.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by isaco(m): 5:47am On Jul 07, 2013
macEDWIN: Lets face d fact, did our ancestors knw any thing abt court or church weding dese r western culture & non of dese u paid d bride price except traditn so i blv it's impt, yes church wed is good due 2 d blessing 4rm God 2ru his servants. 4 court is of no use except 4 dose dat don't dat is a scred institution.
don't mislead ppl pls. Marriage Certificate frm court is very important now.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by smartg(m): 9:53am On Jul 07, 2013
In considering the type of wedding, i will go with tradition, but if you have the money it will be necessary to do all. So cut your coat according to your size. though i don't like those noisy and huge weddings no matter how rich.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by rezzy: 3:19pm On Jul 07, 2013
Nosyke:

You must be in need of a brain transplant. How does the Igbo race come into my post. Yes I am Igbo, so what?

If you can't see the humour in my post, please try jumping the next cliff, you bigot .

#CertifiedMumu#

I wish you all those insult too.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by ebpius1(m): 1:38pm On Jul 27, 2013
Paschal360: Simple. Do church wedding and use traditional wedding as reception. Go to court whenever you're chanced and sign relevant documents with few witnesses. Problemo solved. grin
@ paschal... U are right on point. This is exactly wat I intend doing. Ladies won't u prefer ur man buys u a car after doing a low key wedding? My woman says its far better.
Re: Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage by Kanwulia: 9:25pm On Dec 28, 2013
Registry wedding or traditional wedding.
I don't want to be caught DEAD OR ALIVE in any religious shrine of hypocritical baggas! kiss

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Maternity Leave During Nysc..advice Needed Pls / Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? / Why Baby Mamas And Baby Daddies Will Continue To Be Prevalent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.