Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,357 members, 7,881,310 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 04:25 PM

Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? (38515 Views)

What Is The Best Way To Build A Fence On This Marshy Land? / FG’s Mortgage Scheme Kicked Off With First Set Of 10,000 Houses / How Many Block To Fence 2 Plot Of Land (120 X 100) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by xynerise: 7:13pm On Jul 03, 2013
1. Fence dey give house shape. grin
2. You go know where your plot stop so u no go build on top person land. grin
3. For security reason.
4. Make people no see the colour of undies wey u spray for outside, to mention a few

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jul 03, 2013
Afam4eva: The obvious answer to this question will be security. But isn't there a way around it such that our residential houses will be open just like the Americans do theirs. I think fences take away the beauty that a house is supposed to add to the environment and it also makes sure that there's no uniformity. Every compound is like a country on it's own. Why can't we borrow a leaf from the way American suburbs look like.

Just see this pics and tell me you don't like them:

Why do you have a door OR lock your door ? ... This shoudn't make it to the FRONT PAGE! Oya remove it before I s-h-i-t inside nylon & throw Hot s-h-i-t on you!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 03, 2013
xynerise: 1. Fence dey give house shape. grin
2. You go know where your plot stop so u no go build on top person land. grin
3. For security reason.
4. Make people no see the colour of undies wey u spray for outside, to mention a few

5. Stops nigerians from dirtying your home.

Nigerians love throwing trash around their environment and surroundings, best to protect your home from dirtiness

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by flyforall: 7:15pm On Jul 03, 2013
Why do nigerians fence their houses? REALLY!
Isn't it obvious that its for security and privacy reasons?
When in Nigeria behave like a Nigerian and when in America like an American.
In Nigeria today if your house isn't fenced you can come back from work unannounced and see someone living in your house or even cooking in your kitchen.
Worse case scenario is you can come back from work and see your house moved from where it used to be....hehehe that's almost impossible but what I'm saying is it can be reduced to nothing if the environment you stay in like me is in the ghetto....sad
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 03, 2013
one could think there are no burglaries etc in Nigeria grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by armyofone(m): 7:17pm On Jul 03, 2013
lol at OP, the fear of thieves/ghost with guns is the beginning of wisdom.
you have to see the windows of many homes in nig even with the fences.
barb wire upon barb wire, the thing scared the heck out of me grin
hope to see the day when there will be uniformity in Nig estates and homes.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by InvertedHammer: 7:18pm On Jul 03, 2013
WildChild00:

Come to cooperative villa, Badore there are no fence, in all houses there, it is part of the requirement when building, most retired military generals have there houses there, it 100% secured "Military guards".

What else can I add to the bolded?

You guys are learners.

On my gate, I have a sign that says " OMBATSHE ON GUARD"

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jul 03, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Lmaoooo Nigeriaz got to many vampires and nightcrawlers grin
lol,the last time i saw an unfenced house in lagos was when i was still in primary school and that time,crime rate was already getting high.it wasnt as dusturbing as it is now,the lanlord had a big mango tree in front of the house that he goes there (under the mango tree every afternoon) i used to see him there because i pass his house everyday on my way back to school.anyway there was a day i was passing there after school as usual and i saw that the mango tree was bearing fruits that were ripe and as me and my friends were about climbing the tree,we saw charms , cowries,dried rat skin,etc.that was the day i knew why the man had the boldness to leave his door to his house opened.the last time thieves came there,before they could even enter the house and they stepped on the jazz the man buried in front of his house they started getting paralyzed and were vomitting blood.those guys became vegetables instantly.the way the landlord was saying incartations on them ehen.e fear me o
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by Coldblooded(m): 7:19pm On Jul 03, 2013
Olodostein: Why do Nigerians fence their Houses?

The name Nigeria was inspired by River Niger. Water no get enemy. But the inhabitants of 'Nigeria' do not understand this. Little wonder, clean affordable water is scarce than fences.

You called it 'Houses'. Perhaps, the people living in the system are wired to think of it that way. It should be called a 'Home'. And a Good home is built on Wisdom, Understanding and Love that beget peace, security, unity and progress. Therefore, those houses are fleeting illusions that calls for the anger of River Niger, until the inhabitants come to their senses and heed to the adage that Water no get enemy.

Fear. what breeds fear? Wickedness. And where there is wickedness, you find insecurity, lack of peace and civility.

Thank God I saw "Olodo" in ur moniker, if not I for dey wonder who dey write dis kain tin undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by jjjkkkooo: 7:21pm On Jul 03, 2013
I salute d owner of this thread. Seeing fences turns me off. I hv traveled to a couple of countries, u will love to see how house landscaping beautifies their country. I wish we can learn from these advance-minded people.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by asingas: 7:21pm On Jul 03, 2013
U GUYS ARE REALLY FUNNY
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by WildChild00(m): 7:21pm On Jul 03, 2013
InvertedHammer:

What else can I add to the bolded?

You guys are learners.

On my gate, I have a sign that says " OMBATSHE ON GUARD"

As you wish bro...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jul 03, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: one could think there are no burglaries etc in Nigeria grin grin
I laugh for Cameroon. grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jul 03, 2013
CFCfan:
I laugh for Cameroon. grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by mu2sa2: 7:27pm On Jul 03, 2013
The wall fence is supposed to be for security. But it is useless and may even offer protection to intruders once they find their way in. These days thieves dont jump over the wall fence - they just weaken the wall by splashing diesel/kerosene mixture on it and knocking a big hole through with ease to gain entrance. The best protection is for the house to be without wall fence, this will discourage intruders more.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by supaeagles(m): 7:28pm On Jul 03, 2013
kulyie: lol,the last time i saw an unfenced house in lagos was when i was still in primary school and that time,crime rate was already getting high.it wasnt as dusturbing as it is now,the lanlord had a big mango tree in front of the house that he goes there (under the mango tree every afternoon) i used to see him there because i pass his house everyday on my way back to school.anyway there was a day i was passing there after school as usual and i saw that the mango tree was bearing fruits that were ripe and as me and my friends were about climbing the tree,we saw charms , cowries,dried rat skin,etc.that was the day i knew why the man had the boldness to leave his door to his house opened.the last time thieves came there,before they could even enter the house and they stepped on the jazz the man buried in front of his house they started getting paralyzed and were vomitting blood.those guys became vegetables instantly.the way the landlord was saying incartations on them ehen.e fear me o
that was a sweet tale by the moonlight cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by Anvaller: 7:28pm On Jul 03, 2013
Not only Nigerians fence their houses. All countries with higher level of poverty and less security fence their houses. Fencing is not very common in developed countries because the entire country itself is reasonably safe and there are not a lot of poverty.. So u don't see junkies and uninvited riffraff walking up on ur door and sleeping in ur verandah. Even at that, most of these "un-fenced" houses still have 1-2 meter high perimeter fences for their yards for some level of privacy when chilling out at the back yard.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 03, 2013
kulyie: lol,the last time i saw an unfenced house in lagos was when i was still in primary school and that time,crime rate was already getting high.it wasnt as dusturbing as it is now,the lanlord had a big mango tree in front of the house that he goes there (under the mango tree every afternoon) i used to see him there because i pass his house everyday on my way back to school.anyway there was a day i was passing there after school as usual and i saw that the mango tree was bearing fruits that were ripe and as me and my friends were about climbing the tree,we saw charms , cowries,dried rat skin,etc.that was the day i knew why the man had the boldness to leave his door to his house opened.the last time thieves came there,before they could even enter the house and they stepped on the jazz the man buried in front of his house they started getting paralyzed and were vomitting blood.those guys became vegetables instantly.the way the landlord was saying incartations on them ehen.e fear me o

For real? shocked

So charms work?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by sharqur99: 7:30pm On Jul 03, 2013
Did u bother to think where we will put our generators, tanks et.c before asking dat question?....Like u said,every house is a country and I've neva heard of a country without a BORDER. cry
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by Segadem(m): 7:31pm On Jul 03, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Lmaoooo you think a fence will stop Nigerian criminals? Lol grin

The more beautiful the fence is,the more attractive to the armed robbers.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jul 03, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

For real? shocked

So charms work?

Don't mind him oo. Next thing they will come here and talk about the "broom charm" that results in robbers sweeping any house they attempt to rob.
Naija can lie!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by Afam4eva(m): 7:32pm On Jul 03, 2013
Anvaller: Not only Nigerians fence their houses. All countries with higher level of poverty and less security fence their houses. Fencing is not very common in developed countries because the entire country itself is reasonably safe and there are not a lot of poverty.. So u don't see junkies and uninvited riffraff walking up on ur door and sleeping in ur verandah. Even at that, most of this houses still have 1-2 meter high perimeter fences for their yards for some level of privacy when chilling out at the back yard.
It has little to do with poverty but more to do with culture. We learned this culture from our colonial master(Britain). They fence their houses despite being a well to do country. Nigerian houses used to have low fences back in the day but security and privacy propelled them to start building towers of babel in the name of fence. Brazil is a similar country to Nigeria in terms of poverty but i don't see them fencing their houses except those owned by very rich people.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by midetinz(m): 7:33pm On Jul 03, 2013
Annoyingly,fencing doesn't guarantee security. Inshort it could fence ur household against help when under attack as robbers will take their time to rob knowing they are covered by fence. Moreso when they arrive,na u go open gate of fence urself. Only that it defines well an intruder cos if not fence a thieve will claim to be a passerby.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jul 03, 2013
A-town:

Don't mind him oo. Next thing they will come here and talk about the "broom charm" that results in robbers sweeping any house they attempt to rob.
Naija can lie!!!

Segadem:

Lmaoooo grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by Godogwu: 7:34pm On Jul 03, 2013
Frankly i prefer fences around our houses, we must not necessarily emulate everything the westerners do. I've also seen a couple houses in the US with fences around them( not 9ft though) and most times they are bigger, upperclass homes. Finally, i kinda like the privacy it gives.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by acorntree(m): 7:34pm On Jul 03, 2013
Bec security is zero
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jul 03, 2013
jjjkkkooo: I salute d owner of this thread. Seeing fences turns me off. I hv traveled to a couple of countries, u will love to see how house landscaping beautifies their country. I wish we can learn from these advance-minded people.
you have to consider 'our peculiarities in this part of our world'.the level of insecurity is mind boggling.you cannot say you are mad and go and build a house without fence for the sake of beautification.all eyes will be on you and like yorubas will say ti isu eyan ba ta,eyan ma fowo bo je ni.if you have arrived no be say you go build house without fence,it will be like you are trying to show off and before you say jack robinson people will think you have so much money and they will come with one problem or the other they will say dady tope,i need money to pay my kids school fees,i need money to start up a buisness and if you dont give them money bexause the money you have is just something you have planned for for you and your family,they will say see the house he is living.he has a lot of money but he doesnt want to help with his money,he is stingji etc.they will not understand the situation on ground but by the time you fence your house,no unnecessary attention will be drawn on you.if you have even arrived,people will not know.infact if you refuse to give them,because they are judging you by the house you built,they might start attacking you spiritually.abeg the way black people especially from the south is different.just fence your house abeg

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jul 03, 2013
Godogwu: Frankly i prefer fences around our houses, we must not necessarily emulate everything the westerners do. I've also seen a couple houses in the US with fences around them( not 9ft though) and most times they are bigger, upperclass homes. Finally, i kinda like the privacy it gives.

But fencing was a western to-do embarassed

The fence is around the housing community, Lending a sophisticated upper class look (Gated communities)

Individual houses aren't fenced up like Nigerian homes ....l
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by WildChild00(m): 7:36pm On Jul 03, 2013
Segadem:

hmmm tell me story, or are u speaking frm experience?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jul 03, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

For real? shocked

So charms work?
of course.especially for the illiterate landlords.like an addage says people invest in what they believe in as a guarantee dor security.if you believe in jazz as your security,fine,if you believe in dogs,fine and if you believe in hiring the nigerian police,all well and good.whatever rocks your boat sha

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by NobleIcon: 7:41pm On Jul 03, 2013
Mtchww. @op must u peopl talk abt emulating the whites always. Fencing ones house is gud, apart frm security, it saves the problm of encroachment into ones land. And am sick and tired of dis Emulating the white of a thing, dats inferiority @its peak.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Fence Their Houses? by lekkie073(m): 7:43pm On Jul 03, 2013
Afam4eva:
Traditionally, most NIgerian cultures don't fence their houses. This stuff was copied from the Britain.
so we copied it from Britain? well, go ask d Britons why they fence their houses then..... angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lekki Conservation Centre, Lagos (pictures) / Re: 10 Most Beautiful Buildings In Abuja / Port Harcourt Landlord Locks Out Electricity Company Over Rent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.