Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,813 members, 7,942,045 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 06:46 PM

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? - Travel (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? (455230 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany, How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (118) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by janettee(f): 7:53pm On May 03, 2019
ladyb4sure:
How about dried meat?

You can bring this too while coming.

Which city are you heading to?.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by erny11: 8:00pm On May 03, 2019
[quote author=Eldeee post=78061674]

I think he is considering the weight of Ghana must go bags as compared to ecolac bags to accommodate much items that will amount to 23kg.

Exactly, Ghana must go contains more. I remember some years back I accompanied my sister to the airport. she had One big Ecolacc and two small ones, to avoid excess charge an airport official advised we get a big Ghana must go which we did. Since the weight of the two small Ecolac was more than 32kg we had to remove all the items and put inside the Ghana must go. Then I took the Ecolacc home, while she continued with her journey.

PS The allowed max weight per bag then was 32kg. We bought the Ghana must go 2500 which was like 5 times the normal price.

There's this black and white kind of Ghana must which is much stronger. For those that want to travel with bag of garri and full container of Fufu kindly take note.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by chiboy1116: 8:42pm On May 03, 2019
Hadampson:

Add this to what you already have.

http://www.dropbox.com/sh/u3zaye40vmjbn8g/AABvgeqn2vghW_PmgvJAByFda/All%20About%20Goethe%20Zertifikat%20Deutsch?dl=0

Viel Glück smiley

thanks man.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by ladyb4sure(f): 10:21pm On May 03, 2019
janettee:

You can bring this too while coming.

Which city are you heading to?.
still hoping sist grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by heybaby12(f): 10:29pm On May 03, 2019
MrsInvisible:
Hi. After reading about Maggi I went to their online page. They have plenty different ones in Germany, check out https://www.maggi.de/produkte/bouillons

If you want to bring food with you, I just read that meat and egg products are not allowed to be carried to Germany, because they could bring bacteria over or something like that. If they find it, they will keep it at airport and destroy it. No joke.

Hmmm
Point of Entry matters.
I came in with dried snail, dried Kpomo, dried meat.(like I said the things I came in with......)
I am sure if my luggage was searched it MIGHT have been a problem but bless God it wasn't

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Successnoah(m): 10:31pm On May 03, 2019
I wish to join you in germany how is ingolstadt? any of my naija brothers there with vital information
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by bl33d(m): 10:33pm On May 03, 2019
Thanks to all our veterans and contributors for the effort so far...... It's been worthwhile, even when people keep shouting that the educational system over there is tough, some still squeeze out time to post here. Thanks once again folks....

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by janettee(f): 11:00pm On May 03, 2019
ladyb4sure:
still hoping sist grin

Okay.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 3:43am On May 04, 2019
Victz contribution on language

Anyone coming to Germany who still have the time to learn the language should please do so. Life can be difficult here without the language, I have missed a lot of good opportunities here because of language barier. Germans are so proud of their language that they would never want to speak English to you despite the fact that English is their second language. The only means of communication here is German. Sometimes I began to wonder why they are teaching some courses in English when it seemed as if they don't what to promote any other language apart from their own.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 3:53am On May 04, 2019
Bloodeagle:
It seems Kiel is a village.
nobody seems to know anything about it here... I have been asking since last year.

Kiel is nice , not too many Nigerian students unlike Ghana and Cameroonians got 2 good Nigerians studying the Envt Mgt

Notice

A little advice from anyone applying to Kiel Marine Geosciences , I been dey drink bier with the HOD of the program and he gave me a hint as to why most applications from Nigeria in particular gets rejected , The course is NOT based or anywhere close to Oil exploration, Petroleum and stuffs , its mostly about envt research, and he told me most applications he receives are mainly because the students try to focus on getting oil company jobs so he rejects them , so please anyone trying to apply just look through the course outline and build a sweet letter of motivation from there.

Try apply for a dormitory as soon as possible and also the free language courses and please try learn the language small before coming.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by IchBinBrait(m): 1:32pm On May 04, 2019
Hadampson:

And dem go allow you carry a bag of gaari enter the plane grin
I don't think so

The day i would leave Nigeria for Germany, i would make sure i buy 12 packets of Maggi cos e be like say oyibo no dey eat Maggi like that

12 packets of maggi?? shocked won't they spoil?! The stuff go last wella,, besides, no be everytime you go dey cook na

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 2:22pm On May 04, 2019
IchBinBrait:

12 packets of maggi?? shocked won't they spoil?! The stuff go last wella,, besides, no be everytime you go dey cook na

I like Maggi very well o
They can't spoil since it will be in the fridge

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by IchBinBrait(m): 2:28pm On May 04, 2019
erny11:

Exactly, Ghana must go contains more. I remember some years back I accompanied my sister to the airport. she had One big Ecolacc and two small ones, to avoid excess charge an airport official advised we get a big Ghana must go which we did. Since the weight of the two small Ecolac was more than 32kg we had to remove all the items and put inside the Ghana must go. Then I took the Ecolacc home, while she continued with her journey.

PS The allowed max weight per bag then was 32kg. We bought the Ghana must go 2500 which was like 5 times the normal price.

There's this black and white kind of Ghana must go which is much stronger. For those that want to travel with bag of garri and full container of Fufu kindly take note

Erny that B&W Ghana must go ehnn, it is mainly used by business people returning from Cotonou, Togo, Cameroon etc, filled with all kind of goods. E big ehnn and na around 4k now, maybe.....

Imagine say person carry that kind thing, airport officials go think say you put one member of your family inside. Lols grin grin

Who go wan travel with full container of fufu except Oga Gotzino?? hahahaha your last sentence is kinda funny!

@Gotzino come and read oo. What a good way to package your 17kg of garri.

You guys are wonderful jaree.. cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by IchBinBrait(m): 2:47pm On May 04, 2019
Hadampson:

I like Maggi very well o
They can't spoil since it will be in the fridge

My literal meaning of spoil is "unnecessary melting" even when sealed in a tight container. I dunno what causes it shaa.

Fridge?? Okay!

What can I even cook sęf other than rice, beans, yam & those worm-like pasta.. I go just gum body with one 9ja sister for my potential German city. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by ladyb4sure(f): 3:02pm On May 04, 2019
IchBinBrait:

My literal meaning of spoil is "unnecessary melting" even when sealed in a tight container. I dunno what causes it shaa.

Fridge?? Okay!

What can I even cook sęf other than rice, beans, yam & those worm-like pasta.. I go just gum body with one 9ja sister for my potential German city. grin grin
One reason why naija sisters run away from naija brothers because they come only for the food, sex and money. They end up claiming oyibo woman is ready to spend hell on them grin Naija brothers I hail oo cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by erny11: 4:56pm On May 04, 2019
[quote author=IchBinBrait post=78099185]

Erny that B&W Ghana must go ehnn, it is mainly used by business people returning from Cotonou, Togo, Cameroon etc, filled with all kind of goods. E big ehnn and na around 4k now, maybe.....

hehehehe.......Am telling you dem fit put person inside, that bag strong die!

Na so I see am oo, am still waiting to see who will carry tubers of yam go....lol

Well, it's for the BEST sha!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by erny11: 5:00pm On May 04, 2019
ladyb4sure:
One reason why naija sisters run away from naija brothers because they come only for the food, sex and money. They end up claiming oyibo woman is ready to spend hell on them grin Naija brothers I hail oo cheesy

Really? so when they run away from naija brothers where do they run to?
Just asking sha so that people like oga ichbinbait can go and meet them there lol

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by erny11: 5:03pm On May 04, 2019
IchBinBrait:

Fridge?? Okay!

Am telling you, with Rice and beans am ok. I could count the number of times I took swallow when I was in school.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:04pm On May 04, 2019
IchBinBrait:

Fridge?? Okay!

Lol.. Does that mean you can't cook.. Start practicing now bro... It's never too late grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by DemigodZeus147(m): 5:07pm On May 04, 2019
erny11:

Am telling you, with Rice and beans am ok. I could count the number of times I took swallow when I was in school.

Omoh, no use swallow play with me oh... Some times I go sidon dey reason how I go take survive without swallow in DE cry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:08pm On May 04, 2019
erny11:

Really? so when they run away from naija brothers where do they run to?
Just asking sha so that people like oga ichbinbait can go and meet them there lol

grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:10pm On May 04, 2019
DemigodZeus147:

Omoh, no use swallow play with me oh... Some times I go sidon dey reason how I go take survive without swallow in DE cry

Our naija sister got you covered bro cool
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by DemigodZeus147(m): 5:12pm On May 04, 2019
Hadampson:

Our naija sister got you covered bro cool

grin Oshe!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Nobody: 5:27pm On May 04, 2019
Does anyone know if Deggendorf or Ingolstadt gives two years permit?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:31pm On May 04, 2019
Bremen is a good place to live and hussle as anywhere in Germany. just try and learn basics of the language and God shall take care of the rest.

Bremen is a nice place, mark my word! I will do my best to make sure you get on smoothly, before your departure let me know.

my 2 euros!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:37pm On May 04, 2019
Difference between Universität and university of applied science by dolpaz

As for discrimination between Universities and Uaos, I doubt if there's any much difference. Just that Universities are more into research while Uaos delves more into practicals and brings you closer to the industry. Universities also offers PhD programm while Uaos does not. As a computer science student, I believe Uaos will be advisable because of the practical experience. even though, practicals are also held in the university, but Uaos offers more. you can go to the university after obtaining your Msc for PhD if you wish to further.

Student jobs

As for hustling, Bavaria is a nice place for hustling and getting students jobs. mind you, you german proficiency will come into play. at least at the A1 basic level. this does not mean you may will not get a job, but it sure helps. I don't really know much about kiel so cant say much but Stuttgart is another wonderful place. Its around NRW which shares the same region with Dusseldorf, kleve, Dortmund, Cologne, muenster, Kamplinfort, e.t.c. here, you can find arrays of students jobs and most especially summer jobs. The choice is yours bro !

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:44pm On May 04, 2019

Passau is a very small place, mostly tourist destination with good student life... saw a doc on DW a few months ago. They have serious challenge of illegal immigrants and asylum seekers using the place as an entry point into Germany along with other vices they may come with.

I think Kiel is better, city for city. The discrimination between UoAS and Uni are mostly in the academia when you wanna further with a PhD, since UoAS don't offer it, getting a place may be more challenging but in the labour market, employers in some fields may lean towards the UoAS for their practical edge than an all theory elitist uni student.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:51pm On May 04, 2019
Obiwannn contribution on accommodation

In Big cities - think Hamburg, Berlin, Munich- it is advisable to get a room before coming.

Although it is a risky venture, sometimes its worth it, so as not to suffer the initial accommodation stress. And yes, u transfer the money from 9ja (most times), and it includes the 1st month rent plus deposit for ensuring you keep the house in good condition during ur stay (and in most cases, u get to sign a 6month or 1year contract). The general rule of thumb is that, if the housing ish is been done by ur school's accommodation office directly, then it is safe to transfer money, as you will be refunded albeit not fully (it depends) if you could no longer make it to the school. If however, you are dealing with private landlords and em WGs, guy abeg reach there first before yo pay make ur money no enter voicemail.

Be careful however to ensure that both the room cost and additional costs - internet, heating, cable TV, etc- dey part of the rent. Else you go suffer later.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 6:06pm On May 04, 2019
Website to secure ccommodation in Hamburg

Hey.. I'm going to hamburg too.. I am still waiting for my visa response anyway. But I have gotten accomodation through

http://www.studierendenwerk-hamburg.de/studierendenwerk/en/wohnen/international_students/ . check it out

If you go to that studierendenwerk website, u will see an icon for private hostels. They are a bit more expensive than the public ones, but depending on your budget you will get something

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 6:14pm On May 04, 2019
Moin! You would hear this alot in Hamburg as the usual guten Tag

This sites below are for those coming to Hamburg, they would come in handy for Jobs and Hostel application.

Students Jobs around Hamburg - http://www.stellenwerk-hamburg.de/start.html

Accommodation
http://www.studierendenwerk-hamburg.de/studierendenwerk/de/wohnen/wohnanlagen_anderer_traeger/

As per say na Hamburg you dey,download HVV App, you no go lost or miss road again grin

Cheers

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 6:20pm On May 04, 2019
Continuation on accommodation matter

Private residence for central Hamburg or wg flatshare should be your last resort as these are freaking expensive, my experience, some rooms are 250 without light,water or internet.

Apply to Studentenwerk for hostel and you might surly get one but i can't tell you when you'll get it.

If you don't get any reply soon ask them for short stay room, the price is a little bit higher maybe plus 50 or 60 Euros but it's guaranteed from the Studentenwerk and when you get this don't cancel your application for the hostels and students usually get a room after their short stay contract expires (within a semester).

Don't forget to apply to all those private student hostels,don't keep all hopes on Studentenwerk.

Please to all coming to Germany within the start of Winter try and secure an accomodation cos as the say in Games of Throne, "Winter is coming"

Cheers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 6:30pm On May 04, 2019

Contact the Studentenwerk Hamburg for Accommodation package for new students, they recently launched something like that for new incoming student in Hamburg.

Use https://www.wg-gesucht.de for room search and avoid anyone asking you to pay upfront for any room no matter, how cheap it sounds.

1 Like 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (118) (Reply)

USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 / Travelling To Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.