Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,055 members, 7,970,259 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 03:27 AM

Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? (2588 Views)

The Igbo Language: A Complete Methodology For Word Creation In Any Area / Look At This Beautiful Yoruba Youngster Wearing A Complete Yoruba Native Dress / The Igbo's Concept Of Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by MP007(m): 7:17am On May 18, 2008
You're probably like me. You're in the process of confirming a whole bunch of friend requests of people from your past. Because of this you can actually watch as Facebook spreads to the masses.

And whenever you hear Zuckerberg (he was on the Today Show this morning) talk about Facebook, you get the impression that it's providing this perfect service making the world a better place.

Puh-lease!

I believe that the success of Facebook is more about voyeurism and social obligation. What does so-and-so look like after so many years? Are they successful? I hope not. I got a new friend request from someone I knew in grade 2, I MUST CONFIRM!

After Facebook completely saturates the market, and the initial novelty wears off (and it definitely does), what will become of the site then? Is Facebook doomed in spite of ridiculous short-term growth?

I think so. Do you
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by lucabrasi(m): 4:00pm On May 18, 2008
i dont know about any other ones but face book is not a waste of time,met my primary school best friend on there after many years,met extended family from as far as the united states,met secondary schoool friends you also get to connect and identify with people you admire, i dont know 9ice from adam but we send messages to each other which wouldnt have happened first because he doesnt know me and im not in the industry and cause i wouldnt have cared one way or another, for me its not a waste of time
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by eldee(m): 4:15pm On May 18, 2008
@MP007
I like the fact that you examined the pros and cons of facebook

But you have to understand that facebook has put a literal meaning to the fact that the world is a global village
The founders have managed to give it the professional touch (that's the workplace networks) but they didn't leave out the social aspect
The ability to cut across different sects is what hi5, myspace, tagged and all that couldn't do

Another midas touch facebook have suceeded in applying is the near-perfection of the chat application
With facebook, you don't need yim anymore

And have you noticed that Facebook is the first social networking site to put attention to your privacy?
You can choose what this friend can see on your profile, that's next level

Come to think of it, do you know that over here, you can actually stage a mass protest from the comfort of your bedroom?
Yeah, I saw it on BBC last month, a petition singned by over 500 people will shake any news body

Methinks Microsoft should buy Facebook asap, before they get bigger than this, and they start demanding 100mil
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by LadyT(f): 4:23pm On May 18, 2008
I don't belong to any of these sites.  I had Hi5 and I shut it down.  They kind of all become addictive and can really start going to far.  Facebook has caused me relationship problems.

I shall explain I will be sitting there pouring my heart out about my day and Mister T will just be nodding but not listening he is too busy reading his facebook page.  He also does this stupid thing called pets thats a branch of the bastard facebook!

So no I think they can take up too much of your time. I prefer forums even with forums you can spend way too much time here.  But at least you don't need to update anything reply to any private messages of decline offers from weirdos.  wait yes you do!!!

grin
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by ifyalways(f): 6:43pm On May 18, 2008
@topic,Maybe. undecided not there tho cheesy
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by chikibaybi(f): 7:06pm On May 18, 2008
Its not by force to sign up for face book, if you don't like it, don't go there. As for me, I like it because you can get across to millions of people just sitting in your room, old friends, primary school mates. Aside from the fact that you meet people, its very educative.
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by RampantT(f): 1:52am On May 19, 2008
@ I deactivated Facebook. . . .I wasn't using it, and it's too boring embarassed
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by acidrop(f): 7:35am On May 19, 2008
is it by force to sign up? if u dont want dont sign up

abeg anyone get facebook here, that i can add them?
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by earthrealm(m): 10:09am On May 19, 2008
LOL
@POSTER

facebook  is  a  choice, no  one  forced  u  to   join  it, b4  facebook,,,there  were  countless  other  social  sites, hi5.zoosk.american singles, were   the  ones  in  vogue   some  yrs back

u can close ur face book acct if u so desire, or stop accepting/giving friend invitees

sheeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssh!!!
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by SENATORJD(m): 10:20am On May 19, 2008
men it aint, i've stayed connected to friends that i hadnt heard from or seen in ages via it, i have made business transactions via it(chat part) so i blive its a thing of choice, u dont like log off permanetly
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by iice(f): 10:22am On May 19, 2008
LOL am usually lazy with these sites, the two i have i rarely open them.
Someone has to tell me that he/she left a message for me there b4 i even open it undecided
Eventually they will self-deactivate cheesy
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by ow11(m): 1:23pm On May 20, 2008
eldee:

@MP007

Another midas touch facebook have suceeded in applying is the near-perfection of the chat application
With facebook, you don't need yim anymore

Is the chat application better than Y! IM or the same thing but just a different name?
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by naijadiva2(f): 5:26pm On May 20, 2008
personally i like facebook because i am able to keep in touch with alot of my friends after we graduated high school and i've also found some friends that i went to school with back in elementary and middle school. what i also like about facebook is that it is not infested with a bunch of little kids trying to act grown. myspace was popular until all these 12/13 year old starting logging on saying that they are 17 trying to hook up with guys. then after that everyone shifted to facebook.
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by finemocha(f): 3:47pm On May 23, 2008
well i know im already bored with facebook, i get tired of looking at pics of people i dont even know
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by buzyDiva(f): 3:51pm On May 23, 2008
The whole world is on facebook and it keeps growing everyday.

The same way u log on to NL . . is close to the way it works on facebook.
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by bunmii(f): 5:07pm On May 24, 2008
oh i definately do not think it is a waste of time,
i ve hooked up with almost all my old school friends in facebook & still keep in touch with them
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by eldee(m): 12:21am On May 26, 2008
ow11:

Is the chat application better than Y! IM or the same thing but just a different name?
No, it's not, just that now, you can easily open one website and do all what you have to do.

The flexibility, is that not what the world is looking for now?
Is that not the whole point behind iPhones, PS3's and the multi-task laptops?
Facebook is the best thing since Windows98 grin grin
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by Anuliph(f): 12:55am On May 26, 2008
facebook is ok. reconnects one with long lost friends and acquaintances. but i know of pple who v chosen facebook as a means to settle old scores.
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by Anuliph(f): 12:57am On May 26, 2008
facebook is ok. reconnects one with long lost friends and acquaintances. but i know of pple who v chosen facebook as a means to settle old scores.
Personally,anyone who dint bother to keep in touch isnt worth having as a friend!
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by Nobody: 1:07am On May 26, 2008
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time?

Absolutely not!!!!!! For reasons already listed by other posters. I'm not really into it though. . . I hardly visit mine.
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by dee02(m): 1:26am On May 26, 2008
one man's akamu is another man's cu/m!

some people would rot away without facebook while some don't give a flying fu/ck

if someone decides to spend their precious time trawling facebook then fair enough
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by ow11(m): 12:57pm On May 27, 2008
dee02:

one man's akamu is another man's cu/m!

some people would rot away without facebook while some don't give a flying fu/ck

if someone decides to spend their precious time trawling facebook then fair enough

agreed
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by uchetobi(f): 1:03pm On May 27, 2008
its not a waste of time to me cuz I found many lost and forgotten friends via face book.

It’s a great way of keeping in touch and keeping track of what happens to people I care about
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by lifeithink(f): 9:28pm On May 27, 2008
proudly a FB addict tongue the world is a global village now get with the program or be left behind!
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by Ezinwannem: 7:36pm On May 28, 2008
I love facebook.I have gotten in touch with ppl I went to skool i thought I would neva get to meet not to talk of seeing, If you know yourself, you cannot get addicted 2 it cuz I am not.

For those of us in skool, it is very vitallllllllllllllllllllllllll
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by vikiviko(m): 4:47pm On May 29, 2008
Facebook is a great.
Meet wonderful people , make contacts and possibly change your location.
Its a great networking site, i have made contacts from all walks of life.
People from diffrent races you meet exchange ideas.
Its a global village in facebook.
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by Blatant: 5:09pm On May 29, 2008
Yes
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by Gamine(f): 12:40pm On May 31, 2008
NO.

Facebook is clean and simple, i keep intouch with people

i dont bother with Hi5 anymore

i dont do much on facebook anyways
i read messages, posts, look at pictures and accept friend requests.lol
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by tosinadeda: 2:13am On Jun 02, 2008
facebook is the world now o, and the world is facebook grin
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by liftedone(f): 8:21am On Jun 02, 2008
Not for me, no. I've found a few friends there and network closely with them and other family members all over the world. I even found a long lost cousin who lives in Singapore and two other cousins who live in Papua New Guinea and Australia. I think facebook rivals the other social sites because of all that it incorporates and it's more matured audience.
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by liftedone(f): 10:52pm On Jun 02, 2008
This nairaland na waoh! A simple innocuous statement about liking facebook and networking with family gets someone all riled up and foaming from the mouth. Talk about unprovoked aggression. Ever heard that one man's meat is another man's poison. You don't like something, leave it for those who do, anything spoil for you? Hmmm 
Re: Facebook: A Complete Waste Of Time? by Xiomarra: 7:32am On Jun 03, 2008
Yeah! Practice what you preach and mind ya own gaddem business before life is done with you on face book!

Freedom of expression reigns here. If you don't like a comment then step into the next gutter and drown there! kiss

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter / Some Lagos Towns And Villages And Their Founders / Aro Kingdom Re-brands After 700 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.