Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,495 members, 7,940,887 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 01:23 PM

Nigerians, Others Killed In S’africa Riots - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nigerians, Others Killed In S’africa Riots (824 Views)

The Innocence Of Muslims: The Film That Sparked Riots In Libya / 3 Young Asians Die In Birmingham Riots Defending Father's Shop / Why Nigerians, Others Have Low Iqs —study By United States Scientists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians, Others Killed In S’africa Riots by FBS: 7:40am On May 19, 2008
Could this be true, I wonder who are those carrying out this muderous act and what the heck is the Nigerian government/people doing about this?

Breaking News

Many Nigerians were reportedly killed in South Africa yesterday following fast-spreading riots against foreigners in the country.
Also, the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) reported yesterday that at least five people have been burnt or beaten to death in Johannesburg as violence against immigrants spreads.
A Nigerian who lives in South Africa told THISDAY yesterday that the xenophobic attacks were launched against Nigerians while many of them were either in church or on their way to church.
The areas where Nigerians were most affected are Hillbrow and Yeovil as the riots spread to the Johannesburg city centre.
Many Nigerians were said to have been dragged out of buses and beaten to death while the security agents appeared not to intervene.
More than 50 other people were taken to hospital in the suburb of Cleveland with stab or bullet wounds, the BBC reported, noting that the trouble began a week ago in the sprawling township of Alexandra.
Immigrants from neighbouring African countries were set upon by men with guns and iron bars chanting "kick the foreigners out" as terrified Zimbabweans, Mozambicans and Malawians fled to the safety of the local police station and to another township, Diepsloot.
They were then attacked there as well - shacks were burnt down and shops looted. The violence has since spread to other areas.
BBC’s correspondent in Johannesburg said the attacks have prompted soul searching among South Africans.
Nelson Mandela, former president, had expressed his concern, saying the country must not descend into what he called "destructive divisiveness".
Since the end of apartheid, millions of African immigrants have poured into South Africa seeking jobs and economic sanctuary.
But they have become scapegoats for many of the country's social problems - its high rate of unemployment, a shortage of housing and one of the worst levels of crime in the world.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=111890
Re: Nigerians, Others Killed In S’africa Riots by morpheus24: 1:54pm On May 19, 2008
Its a shame South Africa is spiralling into such a place. I know the media blows things out of porportion but there is an escalating problem of Xenophonbia that exists in South Africa no doubt.

Pyschologically the S. Africans have been damaged. It is a bullying effect that came through Apartheid era. If you have been oppressed, terrorized and subjugated to inhumane treatment it is very likelly that when given the chance and the tables are turned you will do the same to people who are less fortunate in your society. If this continues I can no more blame the whites for anything that was inflicted on the native people if this is the attitude that will be continued in this beautiful nation.

My girlfriend is South African and feels really embarrased about what is going on in her country. I would be too if Nigerians ever behaved in sucha manner. I mean 419 is one thing but Hatred for your own kind is worse. Much worse!

SHAME! SHAME ! SHAME. This situation should not be allowed to pass lightly.
Re: Nigerians, Others Killed In S’africa Riots by tpia: 2:01pm On May 19, 2008
what is wrong with these people?
Re: Nigerians, Others Killed In S’africa Riots by princeonx: 4:23pm On May 19, 2008
@poster:
Just out of curiouscity, what do you expect the Nigerian government to do about this? (I read an article few months ago that said Nigerian government only have record of people (Nigerians) that migrated as permanent residence to other Country and companies have record of those that are on work visa and nothing on NON-IMMIGRANT) meaning even if you're visiting or studying in another country, their embassy might have your record while Nigerian government don't have shit on/about you nor where you're going to! shame!

Most of this guys went to S.A on their own (some by road). Nigerian government probably don't even know this people live in S.A infact Our government don't even know we exist in our own country Nigeria not to talk of S.A or outside Nigeria! so if you ask me I'll say that the only government that know you exist in whatever country you live in is your family!
I really think we expect too much from that so call thing we call government in Nigeria!

(1) (Reply)

Did Obama Flip Flop Again? / Obama Victory Speech / Move Over Obama! Yar Adua Is The Messiah!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.