Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,913 members, 7,872,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:18 AM

Should Christians Practise Yoga - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Christians Practise Yoga (753 Views)

Christians Practise Cannibalism Witchcraft Through Communion / Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? / When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Christians Practise Yoga by Grouppoint(m): 3:24pm On May 19, 2008
Should Christians practise Yoga, and other eastern excercises, since they stem from religious rituals to their gods.
Re: Should Christians Practise Yoga by PastorAIO: 3:29pm On May 19, 2008
No! Any form of exercise will be highly injurious to 'christians'.

Further more 'christians' are not allowed to write or use numerals to calculate because these symbols too stem from other religious traditions.
Re: Should Christians Practise Yoga by Grouppoint(m): 3:31pm On May 19, 2008
I've heard it said that the practice of Yoga venerates these gods, and one may unknowingly be signing up for some bondage or the other.

What do you all think. It certanly has its benefits, but so does smoking hemp, and even cocaine.
Re: Should Christians Practise Yoga by PastorAIO: 3:37pm On May 19, 2008
So if I touch my toes in the morning which diety am I thus venerating.
Re: Should Christians Practise Yoga by Grouppoint(m): 3:43pm On May 19, 2008
@AIO,
Your sarcasm is noted. If you have never heard of yoga or the chanting involved, then good for you.

If you have, then you may simply state your personal views like; 'no, I don't think practicising Yoga is bad for Christians'.

Perhaps you may not even be a christian, again, good for you.

Either way, off with your snide remarks.
Re: Should Christians Practise Yoga by JeSoul(f): 4:28pm On May 19, 2008
Grouppoint:

Should Christians practise Yoga, and other eastern excercises, since they stem from religious rituals to their gods.
The answer is really very simple, No. And any "christian" that tries to argue otherwise is just simply oblivious to the significance of such practices.

plus my brotha don't allow mr AIO to annoy you - he specializes in mocking christians so don't be bothered at all, it is nothing new.
Re: Should Christians Practise Yoga by PastorAIO: 4:32pm On May 19, 2008
man, I didn't mean to cause offence.  The 'snide' remarks are just my way of making the point.  

Geometry, mathematics, music, and many more things that we consider to be basic parts of human culture had their origins with religious traditions.  Yoga makes reference to hindu gods, yes.  But exercising your limbs is not something unchristian.  Neither is meditation.  Not every yoga path involves chanting.  yet often the chanting is very onomatopoeic.  Nothing is actually been said.  It is the sound and the vibrations that matter.
Re: Should Christians Practise Yoga by JeSoul(f): 4:42pm On May 19, 2008
AIO,

Pastor AIO:

man, I didn't mean to cause offence.  The 'snide' remarks are just my way of making the point. 

Geometry, mathematics, music, and many more things that we consider to be basic parts of human culture had their origins with religious traditions.  Yoga makes reference to hindu gods, yes.  But exercising your limbs is not something unchristian.  Neither is meditation.  Not every yoga path involves chanting.  yet often the chanting is very onomatopoeic.  Nothing is actually been said.  It is the sound and the vibrations that matter.

you don't get what GP is trying to pass across, it's not just about the physical exercise, there's a whole lot more to yoga, the meditation, the chanting, the incense, the words and teaching and overall philosophy that is rooted in new age philosophies that goes against christianity. Furthermore there's a whole spiritual side to this issue that is also naked and hidden to the casual observer. There are spiritual implications to the things we do and open ourselves up to - and attentive christians are aware of this. You might see it as "just chanting" but you're not looking at this from a christian perspective. What to the rest of the world will come off as seemingly harmless, to the christian is not - if you study the bible and see that it warns us against these things.

It's not exercise or keeping fit thats being called into question, but yoga and its teachings/practices. Hope this clarifies things a bit.
Re: Should Christians Practise Yoga by huxley(m): 4:58pm On May 19, 2008
I suppose, any religion, not least Christianity, abhors competition.
Re: Should Christians Practise Yoga by PastorAIO: 7:37pm On May 19, 2008
Hi again, First I'd like to say that I do not mock anyone, least of all christians. If someone makes what I consider a dumb statement and I am feeling in a bit of a light hearted mood then I might tease a little bit but generally my approach has been quite serious. Plus I have only made one personal attack since joining this forum and that was in calling someone a nincompoop (which I still stand by cos I can't think of any other explanation for the character). I have been critical of many posts written by both atheists and 'christians' yet I addressed the posts not the person and certainly not the religion.

Now, to proceed with the subject of this thread. I will assume that Grouppoint has had experience of yoga. As far as Asanas are concerned, to my understanding, every position and shape that the body can take is an asana. Sitting down is an asana. Lying on your back is an asana. And yes, each asana has a particular benefit.

Another presupposition of yoga is that the breath is connected to the mind. So if your mind is troubled your breathing will be irregular and if calm the breathing will be calm. To thus try to control the mind by controlling the breathing is a beneficial practice that is not anti christian.

I could go on. The bottomline is that any activity that is practiced will be couched in the cultural and religious expression of the people practicing it. But ultimately one does not have to be a hindoo to practice yoga. That is like saying a christian cannot go to the Olympics because the olympics originated from the ancient greeks competing to honour the Gods of mount olympus.
Or christians cannot write because writing originated in the temples of ancient civilisations.

Yes, I do have a tendency to think critically and not take things for granted but it is not in order to mock any one.
Re: Should Christians Practise Yoga by PastorAIO: 7:40pm On May 19, 2008
Perhaps it would be better if grouppoint could point out what particular yogic practice is anti christian.
Re: Should Christians Practise Yoga by Grouppoint(m): 11:05am On May 20, 2008
Very good post AIO. You make a lot of sense, when you are not being sarcastic.
I have not yet stated that Yoga is bad. I have asked because 'I've heard it said'. Hence I have come to seek knowledge.

Your points have so far been valid. But isnt there a boundary or border to these things? If you are saying that onomatopoeic yoga is safe, it means that you concur that the yoga brands that chant meaningful words are not.
Again, even though the meaningless chants are meaningless to the practitioner, they may really bear a spiritual connotation, who knows?

The word "yoga" means "union," and the goal is to unite one's transitory (temporary) self with the infinite Brahman, the Hindu concept of "God." If christian hold that the only way to achieve this is through Christ, then you can clearly see a potential conflict.

The question should then have been, is it possible for a Christian to isolate the physical aspects of yoga as simply a method of exercise, without incorporating the spirituality or philosophy behind it?

Yoga originated with a teaching one to focus on oneself instead of focussing on the one true God. I personally have issues with that.
Re: Should Christians Practise Yoga by PastorAIO: 8:19pm On Jun 08, 2011
Grouppoint:

Very good post AIO. You make a lot of sense, when you are not being sarcastic.
I have not yet stated that Yoga is bad. I have asked because 'I've heard it said'. Hence I have come to seek knowledge.

Your points have so far been valid. But isnt there a boundary or border to these things? If you are saying that onomatopoeic yoga is safe, it means that you concur that the yoga brands that chant meaningful words are not.
Again, even though the meaningless chants are meaningless to the practitioner, they may really bear a spiritual connotation, who knows?

The word "yoga" means "union," and the goal is to unite one's transitory (temporary) self with the infinite Brahman, the Hindu concept of "God." If christian hold that the only way to achieve this is through Christ, then you can clearly see a potential conflict.

The question should then have been, is it possible for a Christian to isolate the physical aspects of yoga as simply a method of exercise, without incorporating the spirituality or philosophy behind it?

Yoga originated with a teaching one to focus on oneself instead of focussing on the one true God. I personally have issues with that.

Sorry for the delayed response. 3 years and counting.
As regards safety or not, I think we should be circumspect about everything we get involved in. Yoga, church, driving . . . I believe that absolutely everything carries a spiritual connotation not just chanting. Body posture, clothing, colours, diet, times of the day, etc etc etc. If I hum a certain syllable and it vibrates my kidneys and thus invigorates them then that is healthy. But what if it vibrates them in a way that disturbs and damages them. You need to know what you are doing. And one man's meat is another man's poison.

I don't think Yoga is a definite methodology of bring communion with brahman, but it prepares the yogi for it. The actually enlightenment is a spontaneous event that may or may not happen. It's down to Grace, I guess. A yogi in deep meditation may experience it or he may never experience it.

JeSoul:

The answer is really very simple, No. And any "christian" that tries to argue otherwise is just simply oblivious to the significance of such practices.

plus my brotha don't allow mr AIO to annoy you - he specializes in mocking christians so don't be bothered at all, it is nothing new.

Ouch! My sista! I can barely remember those times. Was it like that?

@ Lager when in Doubt
Don't be surprised

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Practise Yoga by JeSoul(f): 8:54pm On Jun 08, 2011
^you sef. I wanted to just read today . . .

2008. I was just thinking to myself yesterday while listening to one of my 'hardcore' songs like this (from 2008 too lol) about how differently and less cavalier I feel on so many subjects now.
  Its 3yrs late, but accept my apologies on that misplaced comment. But then again you sef . . . why are you digging into the dirt for buried threads? grin

and @topic, (my opinion has changed! cheesy)  yoga has its benefits - all depending on which frame of mind you're approaching it from - spiritual or physical or philosophical. Most people who practice it do so merely for its physical benefits. I was even going to try one of the classes at the gym recently but the thing just looks so darn boring . . . bend, turn, stretch, twist . . . abegi, pass me the basketball jor grin

(1) (Reply)

The Soul, The Spirit And The Body / The "gospel" Of Witches And Wizards / Living The Question--evangelical Christianity And Critical Thought

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.