Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,714 members, 7,951,922 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 07:19 AM

Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? (1464 Views)

Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? / The TV Advert That Currently Impresses You? / List Of The Tv Stations Available In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by Leilah(f): 8:06pm On May 19, 2008
Why is it that Nigerians (any house that I have been to) have the big plasma TV on full blast?

I remembered when I visted Nigeria and my sister in law always had the TV on full blast it was soooo painful.  Dont get me wrong my family put the volume up to the very top as some of them are of pension age.

Before my husband used to put it on full blast too but I politely said that it was so high I got a bit of a headache, he just puts in on a normal hearing level now.

Folks, do you think you can live with the TV being on a normal hearing volume? I mean, deep down do you think my husband would be very bothered thats its not on the very highest of volumes? when I asked him he said Nigerians put the TV on so loud so that they can hear the english very well as it is not their mother tongue
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by savanaha: 8:12pm On May 19, 2008
Leilah:

when I asked him he said Nigerians put the TV on so loud so that they can hear the english very well as it is not their mother tongue

Well there you have it. What more do you want?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by LadyT(f): 8:13pm On May 19, 2008
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I think men seem to like the TV loud! In my house they do it drives me mad

You see our culture is very loud. Our lives are loud!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by sheniqua: 8:16pm On May 19, 2008
hahaha @Leilah
welcome to Nigeria and Nigerian living.
I finally trained my husband to bringing the volume down such that those in the living room can't make out what you're listening to in the family room
but when it's sports,all my training goes out the window.
I just carry my small tv into the bedroom and leave him to scream and shout at the players and referee.
some will even have it closed captioned and loud.

How about those that have their stereo in full blast  and the TV on high too and everyone is yelling while speaking
That is just insane.
when we visit such people, you try so hard to enjoy your stay.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by Leilah(f): 8:18pm On May 19, 2008
oh yeah when the sports are on I don't say anything! I dare not!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by sheniqua: 8:25pm On May 19, 2008
Leilah:

oh yeah when the sports are on I don't say anything! I dare not!!!

LOL
never come between a Nigerian male or any male and his sports.
They'll forgive anything but not  that one.
there was a case of a man that threw his wife off the balcony because she blocked his view
My own hubby had  had to leave work before closing time or cancel completely  a few times in order to watch the world cup and olympics soccer matches  shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by darfur(m): 9:13pm On May 19, 2008
the british are also loud. when they are returning from the clubs at night they shout down the whole neighbourhood.
the americans are even louder.
the spanish are loud too
so nigeria is not claiming a monopoly of loudness. tongue
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by Leilah(f): 9:16pm On May 19, 2008
yeah! its the also main reason why mine has to keep looking for extensions on his school assignments!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by debosky(m): 9:19pm On May 19, 2008
you mean these stingy oyibo people like to shout? I thought they will be stingy with their voices too. grin tongue
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by darfur(m): 9:20pm On May 19, 2008
there are 2 million reasons to look for extensions on school assignment. loud tv is one of them.
too much idle talk/gossip on nairaland is another tongue
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by Leilah(f): 9:22pm On May 19, 2008
Stingy Debosky? that must be the spaniards hey? grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by Leilah(f): 9:23pm On May 19, 2008
Not referring to my self actually. I was in fact referring to my husband and his so called studies meaning he watches so much sport he ends up requesting extensions. Don't want to derail from the initial topic.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by sheniqua: 9:24pm On May 19, 2008
well alcohol will make people loud @ darfur but ordinarily Brits are no way as noisy as Nigerians.

We are loud when happy
Loud when sad
loud while eating
loud while begging
loud when crying
see oyibo people when mourning at a funeral everyone is all  dressed in black and looking dignified and the widow is held on the sides by two close friends,not a whimper.
come to our funerals
you hear loud music,loud crying and the relatives are attempting to jump into the grave with the deceased.
We are just loud by nature

people talk to each other like they are deaf.
see Nigerians on the cell phone in a store or airport
Yoruba Yoruba and nna men would be reaching high heavens like they are speaking to the whole waiting room at the airport.
and yet the person on the other side will be screaming that you speak louder.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by debosky(m): 9:27pm On May 19, 2008
sheniqua:

well alcohol will make people loud @ darfur but ordinarily Brits are no way as noisy as Nigerians.

We are loud when happy
Loud when sad
loud while eating
loud while begging
loud when crying
see oyibo people when mourning at a funeral everyone is all dressed in black and looking dignified and the widow is held on the sides by two close friends,not a whimper.
come to our funerals
you hear loud music,loud crying and the relatives are attempting to jump into the grave with the deceased.
We are just loud by nature

grin grin
dem go dey shout 'leave me! leave me!' but if you leave them, no Jupiter will make them jump insside the grave grin

Loudness is a Nigerian thing, I've come to notice it myself, even when just 'talking' our decibel volume is much higher than others
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by Leilah(f): 9:27pm On May 19, 2008
Yes, Sheniqua thank you. That certainly puts more meat on it. @Debosky what makes you think that oyibo people (in particular british and americans) are STINGY? are you out of your mind?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by darfur(m): 9:28pm On May 19, 2008
what of african americans? are we louder than them too? i've seen a few in london. . . wow
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by sheniqua: 9:30pm On May 19, 2008
darfur:

what of african americans? are we louder than them too? i've seen a few in london. . . wow

are we surprised how they are now tracing their roots to Nigeria ?
They can't escape it
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by darfur(m): 9:32pm On May 19, 2008
lol grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by sheniqua: 9:34pm On May 19, 2008
I've had to ask a party host to have the DJ turn down the music because I just couldn't stand it.
The music is so loud and everyone is screaming while conversing and picking goatmeat off their teeth.
The thing gives me headaches
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by sheniqua: 9:36pm On May 19, 2008
debosky:

grin grin
them go dey shout 'leave me! leave me!' but if you leave them, no Jupiter will make them jump insside the grave grin

Loudness is a Nigerian thing, I've come to notice it myself, even when just 'talking' our decibel volume is much higher than others

That's true
That's the reason why some Nigerians have a hard time adapting to life in the west at first.
A loud voice is synonymous sometimes with rudeness and being aggressive and employers and supervisors will not tolerate it.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by Leilah(f): 9:47pm On May 19, 2008
I remember a couple of years back my hubby went for a few beers with a few friends in the local nigerian restaurant, the residents of the block were terrified, they called the police and said there was a lot of 'fights' so the police called to the restaurant asked them to stop fighting and the poor guys were like WHAT? were were just jisting, sad
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by Raymond88(m): 3:38pm On May 20, 2008
Ugh, why do people like generalizing. . . everywhere i go it's why do Nigerians this, why do Nigerians that! if you don't want to be Nigerian get the 'F' out!! angry
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jun 17, 2008
It depends if their yoruba or not , they same reason when the speak you can hear them a mile AWAY,
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by Leilah(f): 9:00pm On Jun 17, 2008
On another note frozen, how come it depends whether they are yoruba or not - just curious,
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jun 17, 2008
I find most people who are yoruba speak loud . they always talk as if they are talking to the clouds, Im use to it now,
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by Mustay(m): 8:59am On Jun 18, 2008
we live in a very noisy country
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by Mustay(m): 9:00am On Jun 18, 2008
FroZen1:

I find most people who are yoruba speak loud . they always talk as if they are talking to the clouds, I'm use to it now,

did u carry out the research on yoruba people only?

cos me too i find igbo people very loud embarassed
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by Nobody: 11:02am On Jun 18, 2008
well the igbo i hang around never say a word unless their a man, ive never been with a yoruba who can speak at a low tone for over 5 min, hey in 2days world everyone wants 2 be heard,
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by Bizl4Rizl(m): 11:55am On Jun 18, 2008
We are all practically deaf

Right from the first light of day, blaring noise from the AHUJA sound system from the neighbourhood mosque, then the blaring horns of the cars in traffic, then the hollering of your customers & co-workers at work, more horns and shouting in traffic, deafening noise from all the generators at nite, more noise from your neighbourhood church evening services!

We are ALL DEAF!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have To Have The TV On Full Blast? by Mustay(m): 8:39am On Jun 19, 2008
FroZen1:

well the igbo i hang around never say a word unless their a man, ive never been with a yoruba who can speak at a low tone for over 5 min, hey in 2days world everyone wants 2 be heard,

u can try me grin cool

(1) (Reply)

James Bond(007) Or Jason Bourne(bourne Identity) / Video:3 Police Women Beaten & Stripped Unclad By A Mob Of Tenants In Benin City / Nigerian Marvel Superhero: Oya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.