Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,157 members, 7,890,920 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 01:06 AM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (52) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (519284 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by tolyem(m): 3:45pm On Oct 18, 2013
Hello VO,

Can nigeria citizen participate in the ongoing dv lottery exercise?

Ddy: Greetings VO. i have gone through the comments,am so much greatful on how you answer questions. please i need your help. i have elder sister who is living in new jersey with her husband. they went through lottery some yrs back. & she wants me to join her. Am a HND graduate in computer science and i intend to further my education there. she have stayed 6 yrs now in NJ. please whats the best approach in getting Visa to states. tnx & God bless
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Excellentman: 3:47pm On Oct 18, 2013
Thank you for your straight forward answer, I now see why we are still obtainable only 2 years, Indeed Your guys really tried issuing the 2 years, if going by the same that applies to US Citizens coming to Nigeria. Please again i have this Big problem hitting me up serious every other time i wanted to renewed my US VIsa.

I had this problem while in US back in 2010, Was taken or should i rather say Arrested with some Ghanians at their Warehouse, Was later told by the Police Officers that they were informed about shady business going on at the location, But unfortunately i was at the warehouse when the police burst-ed the warehouse and took everyone . At the Station i was questioned by the State Attorney and following day i was released to go NO charges or Arrest was read to me. But my greatest worried is that that same night we were taken to the station , I was fin-gered print and photo-shoot. But i was not given no case to answer nor charged to court, I was let go with all my documents following day. Now my Question , Right there in the 1-30 form there is a portion that asked if arrested/ convicted to tick YES/ NO please Advice what should i do in my own case
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:31pm On Oct 18, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Wow, that sounds like quite an opportunity! I'd contact App Academy directly and ask what sort of visa their international students use. According to http://pri.org/stories/2013-03-06/h-1b-skilled-worker-visas-under-fire they would use the B1/B2, but of course that's just a news story, not an official statement. The news story does say that App Academy graduates have trouble figuring out what sort of visa they need to remain in the U.S. and try to find an employer after they graduate. I wish I could give you a clearer answer, but this is a very unique situation. Please let us know what App Academy tells you.

Thanks sending a mail to app academy right about now

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by hammerh(f): 8:56pm On Oct 18, 2013
Hello VO,i wish you a happy weekend!!! mail !
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by wurdz: 10:57pm On Oct 18, 2013
Hello V.O

Great job so far...concise responses too smiley is there any negative implication who for a couple who applied and got visas at the same time to travel at different times? I am sure this sounds dumb but just humor me
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by bamideleniayo(m): 12:56pm On Oct 19, 2013
Greetings VO... Pls I need help with this...
For close to 24yrs I never knew I had a step brother (same Father) till the 2nd Quarter of last year..He is a US citizen and Currently lives in the US with his kids who are also US citizens Via Birth... After much Introduction both via Facebook and Frequent calls, he said he was going to try and bring me and my sblings to come live with him in the US.... I don't know what sort forms he filed but he said it could take up to 5yrs..! I will want ur explanation on what sort of forms he filed because luckily for me I won the DV 2014...!
My Question now is that, when I go for my interview and the VO ask if i've ever filed for a Visa...; if I say no irregardless of what my Step brother has already filed,...Does it affect my chances of being issued a Visa.. Or will it come down to me not being sincere since probably it might show up in ur database.... Pls ur esteemed clarification is needed... Thnks u so Much VO..!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by farastrongman: 3:36pm On Oct 19, 2013
Hi Visa officer, I need your assistance on these: my father file a petition for us when we were much younger under immigrant petition for relative, fiance or orphan. And we have gotten approval notice Jan 2008 but up to this day we have not heard anything from the embassy. Please see details:
Notice type- approval notice, section : unmarried child21/older of permanent resident
Receipt date- March 6,2007
Priority date- March 5, 2007.
Note: my father became a citizen this year. What can be done and why the delay?

Secondly, every attempt to visit America on vacation has been refuse because I have a petition that means nothing to me again as an adult.
I have visited UK several times, Germany, Ireland, Swiss, Austria. South Africa and a few more countries as a tourist. I have a good job, wife but not legally married and 2 children. How do I convince the VO that I don't intend to stay back in America because I have a fantastic job in Nigeria or is it true it's impossible to visit if there's a petition.?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by tyosho: 5:47pm On Oct 19, 2013
evening visa officer.
I have a friend whos baby is due by december and her visa expires that same december.Im advising she applies for another visa so she can spend at least a month after the baby is born to recover properly but shes saying she would rather go to the us first and then apply for an extension of visa with the uscis.This she believes is better than applying for a fresh visa before departure which if its refused could stop her chances of having her second baby in the us.
What do you think?
P.S-she had her first baby girl in the us on the same visa and says she paid all her bills.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by aforex4u: 5:47pm On Oct 19, 2013
Good day consular, i commend ur doing a nice and wonderful job here...
please i have quick question, my brother has an issue with the us embassy he has previously applied for a visit visa to the embassy in 2002 through a travel agent the agent made him use another name and age to apply for the visitors visa but unfortunately he was ask to reapply he didnt get the visa because the consular said he has not travelled out before.....few years later he won a us lottery he was almost given the visa the week he was ask to come for his visa he was called to come over the consular ask if he has ever applied to embassy before but because he was scared to lose the current visa he said no the consular showed him the pic but he said it was his cousin he was later ask to prove it, he tried but time was not on is side for the lottery's deadline was close by, now is married to an American citizen for a year now but his wife cant really stay for long with she said need to go back and she has been trying to file a family petition on his behalf to stay with her in the us because she cant stay alone and moreso she would need his help when pregnant......please consular do u think if he was called to interview this time he should say the truth and would he get the visa because his wife need's him so much. Thank you
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by onpointbaby: 1:31am On Oct 20, 2013
Dear VO, please can you clarify on the issue of birth certificates. For those Of us born in the 70's we have the short birth certificate that was issued to our parents in the various LGA's our birth was registered. For some others it is the NPC birth certificates and for some others it is the attestion letter. Which is accepted at the embassy for the purpose of interview? thank you.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by olivialuv(m): 4:31am On Oct 20, 2013
jayon:

Do you remember what the visa officer told you earlier about this.. read page 2

Thanks for responding , the VO told me that she unsure my wife was included in my online registration , I told she was but she was not understanding. Even my invitation leter quote my beneficiary which includes me wife.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by olivialuv(m): 4:50am On Oct 20, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! Here's the thing: You state that your wife and child were omitted from your initial form / entry. That means that your entry could not qualify. You must include your spouse and all minor children at the time of your initial entry, or you cannot qualify for a Diversity Visa.

By law, KCC is not allowed to adjudicate Diversity Visa applications; they just collect the paperwork and forward them to post. So they are not the ones who can tell you that you're disqualified. By law, that has to be done at the Embassy or Consulate. It's a tough law, but it's one of the very few rules of the Diversity Visa program, and the applicants have to take responsibility to become familiar with these rules.

There are no refunds. The fee isn't to receive a visa; it's to be interviewed and have your case considered by a Consular officer.
My wife and child were actually included in the initial application but the omission was when submitting the DS230 part 1 and 2 their 2 passport phOtograph were within the form but the form was omitted , I called KCC and I was told to forward the missing attachment and the write a letter state what happen also include the biocode to it that it will be added to my file otherwise I would have bother to proceed further. At the embassy I was given the form to fill again but the VO keep saying tHat my wife was not included. My wife bear my name as the family name if that is tHe problem they should tell me what else happen becaUse I still believe there must be something else uncover
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by ewhoma(f): 4:26pm On Oct 20, 2013
I really admire your sacrifice on this forum sir. May God almighty continue to bless u. Could u pls help me with these? Thank u. I am a 2014 DV winner by God's grace. N I recently discovered I made these mistakes on my DSP forms sent to KCC.
1) In my DS-230 form, I made a mistake of filling "ABC International College" instead of "ABC Secondary School", because that was the name of the sch as @ the time I wrote the exams there and didn't take note that they had changed the name and that its what's written on the certificate, as I only spent 1yr there for a re-sit after my 6yrs high sch exams. Also, I made a mistake in its date because I wasn't with my documents as @ d time I filled and sent those forms. Reason being that I am presently doing my 1year compulsory National Youth Service in a state far from home, and where all my documents are.
2)in that same certificate NECO, my middle name was spelt in full Ewhomazino while in the rest of my documents, i have shortened it to Zino because of its length. Aside my WAEC result which carries just my first and last name, the rest carries Zino as my middle name.
3) I also made a typographic error in my permanent address in d US. Instead of 608, I wrote 605.
NB: I filled another DSP forms with the correct info after I had mailed KCC, explaining my mistakes, in which they responded that I should refill d forms with d correct info and re send, which I did. About a month later, I called to confirm, but the lady that answered said she isn't sure they got the corrected forms I sent. And she advised I should just go for my interview with the corrected forms on my interview day. Pls, what do u think is the best thing for me to do here and i hope all these errors and shortening of my middle name isnt going to be a threat to me during my interview?
Thanks for your anticipated response sir.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by phatzyka: 7:39pm On Oct 20, 2013
Hello VO, thank you for your concern. Please I need to verify something. I wrote GCE in 2002. I collected my Certificate in 2007. As I write this message I do not have my Certificate and i am a winner of 2014 Diverisity Lottery. I am a BSc holder. What do I come with on the day of my interview. Your quick response will be appreciated.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by tayoTFC(m): 11:35pm On Oct 20, 2013
Dear visa officer,
I apply for visiting visa 2007 when my cousine give me invitiation letter. But I was refuse.reason that my cousine travel to USA to study but married there and refuse to come after the study that I might do same. Hence that he refuse my visa .
Now I have travel to UK,southafrica,DUbai for varous year during my annual leave and am married and fanacialy ok to sponsor my trip and family of 2 can I apply and would 2007 reason affect my chance cos I will put up in hotel for 5days and visit some lovely attractive park.am only going for vacation and sigthseing
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by MzParadox(f): 6:58am On Oct 21, 2013
Hi VO,

I'm a US citizen and my boyfriend and I have been considering marriage. I would like to know the pros/cons of the finace visa vs spousal visa. Which one is faster, cheaper, not as tedious? Thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by malioo: 7:26am On Oct 21, 2013
Dear VO
Pls what documents can I present when asked for my university degree? I lost the originals and al I have is just scaNned and photopies of the original documents.is that accepted at the embassy
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 9:08am On Oct 21, 2013
Hi VO,
So I was reading this guy story who went for an F1 student VISA (for masters).

First attempt: The interview went well till the VO asked for the University's transcript, as soon as the VO sees the transcript he halted the interview n refused him under 214(b). The guy later confessed that the transcript was fake given to him by an agent..

2nd attempt: The guy was denied, the interview didn't last up to a minute.

3rd attempt: denied again

4th attempt: denied again..

The guy gave up and he was thinking maybe he's being placed on life ban due to the fake transcript. But the first VO didn't say it to his face that "You are banned". But denied him under section 214(b). Leaving him to pay the VISA fee several times..

The guy is now faring well here in Nigeria and has forget about going to USA cuz he thinks he's still being banned..

Is it how the VOs do? Ban people, don't tell them, leaving them to waste money on VISA fees..

Thanks in anticipation!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by phatzyka: 12:01pm On Oct 21, 2013
Hello VO, thank you for your concern. Please I need to verify something. I wrote GCE in 2002. I collected my Certificate in 2007. As I write this message I do not have my Certificate and i am a winner of 2014 Diverisity Lottery. I am a BSc holder. What do I come with on the day of my interview. Your quick response will be appreciated.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Obatide(m): 2:34pm On Oct 21, 2013
Good day CO, how's work and your lovely family doing? God bless You

We are 2014 DV winner and God blessed my Family with a new baby on October 17th then we received our 2NL dated Oct. 18th, 2013.
How do I include my new baby and COULD YOU GIVE ME AN ACCEPTABLE FORMAT if any.

However, let me use this medium to invite you to her Naming ceremony on 24th.
grin grin grin
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Oreskid: 8:23am On Oct 22, 2013
Morning VO, thanks so much for this thread, u re doing a very good job... Plz I need ur help.
Was @ Abuja embassy today @ 730 too but was denial....
VO- morning
Me-morning ma but na one small chick
VO- u re going for master right
Me- I said yes
VO-what skool do u have ur bsc
Me- university of ado ekiti
VO- wat u do u graduate
Me-2010
VO- wat have u been doing after graduation
Me- working
VO- where do u work
Me- oyo state ministry of works and transport
VO- what do u study in ur first degree
Me- mechanical engineering
VO-who will sponsor ur trip
Me- my father
VO- wat does he do
Me- contractor
VO- do u have ur father bank statement
Me- yes and I show her but she look @ it and still keep it with her
VO- how do u get this skool
Me- thru a friend that is currently studying in d skool and make research to see the skool is one of the best skool in the US that offer my course and the skool got affordable fee and also got high quality staff
VO- how many skool do u apply to
Me- just this one and they gave me admission.
VO- just keep typing and she look up and stop return d bank statement of over 13million and said I'm sorry, u re denial under section 214b and she gave me a paper and said next.
Me... Thanks and park my stuff and leave d emabassy
The school resume 28th.... Wat do u feel I can do and wat did I have wrong in the application that made her denial me on section 214b non immigrant law
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by nija50: 3:22pm On Oct 22, 2013
This is about the 6th time i have been refused a u.s visa in the last three years under section 214b,even after haven been to U.S for more than eight times in the last 5 years.i am 100% sure i did not violate the terms of my visa in any way,at least to the best of my knowledge.i have valid visas to many other countries including u.k and Canada. The maximum i have stayed outside Nigeria in any of my trips is 30 days.the last interview was on 21 October,2013.and as usual no much question rather than saying to me that she noticed i visited Canada recently.my questions are ,

1)what could be the possible reasons?
2)is there any way to find out the reasons?
3)can i in anyway appeal the refusal?
4)how do i correct this problem if there is any?

my family and financial ties are intact,with verifiable evidences to prove it.

thanks in advance for your candid advice
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Malcolm28(m): 4:41pm On Oct 22, 2013
Dear CO
Please permit me to again ask you some questions:
I am a 2014 DV Selectee whose interview is in the early days of December 2013. My concerns are these:
1. I hold 2 Masters Degrees (MBA and MSC) whose certificates I did not bother to collect all the while cos of the tedious processes involved, my lack of available time to do that and the fact that I didn't need them all the while as I am self employed. Now with the lingering ASUU strike, its become very difficult to get the certificates or statement of results. Will a "to whom it may concern" note which I collected a while ago do for the purpose of the interview should I not be able to obtain the certificates before the interview?
2. In the forms I sent to KCC, the portions where I was required to provide the name and address of the place I am going to reside on arrival to the US, I answered "not yet known" because at the time I was still discussing with possible hosts. Now I have the full address of where I will be staying. Do I need to send a mail to the embassy to update this piece of information on my forms or do I wait and update that at the embassy during my interview? My interview notification letter is already with me.

Thanks again for your invaluable support.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by GraceyMeryl: 5:12pm On Oct 22, 2013
Hello, pls what likely question shld an F2 visa applicant expects. Tanx
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by odewenwa: 8:41am On Oct 24, 2013
Good morning CO hope u had a nice nite we give glory to God pls I have a question for u me n my husband got married over 9yrs ago in a church our wedding certificate is with us but no official stamp of the church only our rev's signature and other witnesses pls I want to know if it is necessary for us to go back to the church and ask them to stamp the certificate or we should bring it like that with our wedding fotographs? Awaiting your response sir. Thanks a bunch.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by kevweflex(m): 9:17am On Oct 24, 2013
odewenwa: Good morning CO hope u had a nice nite we give glory to God pls I have a question for u me n my husband got married over 9yrs ago in a church our wedding certificate is with us but no official stamp of the church only our rev's signature and other witnesses pls I want to know if it is necessary for us to go back to the church and ask them to stamp the certificate or we should bring it like that with our wedding fotographs? Awaiting your response sir. Thanks a bunch.

I think this might help: https://www.nairaland.com/1359935/u.s-consular-officer-ask-me/42#18560769
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by kings144: 11:58am On Oct 24, 2013
i admire and commend your polite way of answering questions.you are a wonderful human being.

Please advice on my constant visa refusal under section 214(b),since 2009 till date.

I have visited united states for up to 8 times from 2005 to 2009,i have never over stayed or violated the terms of my visa,nor committed any sort of crime.in fact i have never spent more than 30 days in any of the visits,at least to the best of my knowledge.

I have more than enough evidence to demonstrate my family and financial ties to my home country,but to my greatest surprises,in each interview,the visa officer simply looks at me and hand down the refusal notice with little or no question,nor a demand for any documentary evidence which makes me to believe that there is a caveat on my record that would make it impossible for me to obtain a u.s visa ever again.

I have properties in choice places with certificate of occupancy from the government.my family and i just returned from a vacation in Canada in may,2013.i have a thriving businesses here in Nigeria,which has always been vetted by u.s commercial service Lagos.i have had visas and traveled to schengen countries,united kingdom and the likes,with a satisfactory travel history outside Nigeria over the last 10 years

my last visa interview in October 2013,to attend power generation conference and exhibition in Orlando Florida,under the auspices of u.s commercial service turned out negative and the interview went as thus;

VO; you are going for power gen international.....?

ME; yes power generation conference and exhibition in Orlando Florida
(VO took sometime to read something from her system)

VO; u were in Canada recently?

ME; yes i went for a vacation with my wife.

VO; is your family over there?

ME; no my family is here in Nigeria.
(VO got busy typing some stuffs in her system before handing the usual refusal notice to me)

i sent an appeal to the Niv chief and the reply came back just like the generic refusal notice stating that i could not prove my ties and that the officer was not convinced.

i intend to apply again immediately or what is the best way to go about this?
This is most embarrassing as my workers will go to the embassy and come out with a visa comfortably.

Thanks a lot
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by kenkelewu: 12:24pm On Oct 24, 2013
Hello VO,
How have you been? I've been following this thread and noticed that you have not responded since Oct 18.
I hope all is well with you.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 24, 2013
kenkelewu: Hello VO,
How have you been? I've been following this thread and noticed that you have not responded since Oct 18.
I hope all is well with you.

I noticed that too.. Well, maybe they stopped him/her. cry
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Walspring: 3:21pm On Oct 24, 2013
Amefrica:

I noticed that too.. Well, maybe they stopped him/her. cry

I dont think she was stopped.. Maybe she have a busy schedule or she is off duty or maternityu leave.. LOL

Lets pray she get back to us ASAP!

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (66)

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Thread for South Korea prospective students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.