Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,772 members, 7,875,930 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:48 AM

The Expressway Churches - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Expressway Churches (8506 Views)

RCCG Repairs Lagos-ibadan Expressway / Rich Churches, Poor Members / Which Is The Most Powerful Spiritual Churches Or Prayer Houses In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Expressway Churches by Genuflect(m): 11:38pm On Feb 02, 2010
So with all the billion of churches in town now, you think Nigeria is moving forward? Do you even stay in Nigeria?
Re: The Expressway Churches by Zodiac61(m): 11:47pm On Feb 02, 2010
verycute:

Pls is the poster a scientist. In his area, what has he achieved. Frustarted people will just go to a cafe with 100 naira to post rubish. Do Nigeria have more churches more than the US?
'What has being a scientist got to do with asking questions?
verycute:

what is the meaning of "what the hell" dirty language. If we have more churches than the US, the its a good thing. Before, do u want us to have more brotel and immoral bar and the likes, then you will say we are developing. MAY BE THEY HAVE MORE GAYS IN THERE AND ALSO IN EUROPE MORE THAN US. PLS THINK
What is good about having more churches than in the US? Nigeria is one of the poorest countries in the world. Nigeria is one of the most under developed countries in the world. The average church goer lives on or near the bread line. The pastors, on the other hand do well for themselves, even those most do not seem to have socially useful jobs.
As for your comments on gays, the following is a quote I found on the internet 'Man created God in his image : intolerant, sexist, homophobic and violent.' I agree.
Re: The Expressway Churches by nethacker(m): 11:51pm On Feb 02, 2010
Genuflect:

So with all the billion of churches in town now, you think Nigeria is moving forward? Do you even stay in Nigeria?
wondering too
Re: The Expressway Churches by canuck(m): 11:53pm On Feb 02, 2010
MT:

For instance, a very popular denomination in London (Nigeria Owned) printed a message on their Tithe envelope that people can pay their tithe using credit card. Is that not appalling ?. Church pushing people into debt in order to make their own version of God happy. What do you call the congregration that doesnt question that - gullible or not. Be the judge

deor03:

Now that is very wrong. Tithe should have been paid on what is earned , Isn't it?

C'mon guys, please free your minds from the credit card bias - Credit card is not synonymous with DEBT; it is purely a mode of payment.

I can't remember the last time I touched cash, prolly 4-5 months ago (FYI - British Payments Council will eliminate the 350-yr old cheque in 8 years). I use my credit card for almost ALL payments, enjoy 20 days of interest-free grace period, and pay off the balance at the end of the month.

You can spend what you have, but still use credit cards to track your purchases. Is that evil  

@Topic
I subscribe to debosky's balanced view.  cheesy
Re: The Expressway Churches by verycute: 11:55pm On Feb 02, 2010
let me tell you, many robbers repented b/c they were preached to. Many people are saved b/c they had the gospel. We are growing here and it will appear nothing is happening. Have u come to think if we don't have churches what would have happened. Do u have issues with God? leave the church of Jesus Christ alone. I am sure that you have not committed any sin in your life time. If you have, then leave other people alone. Its God that will mark our exam not you or anybody. Nigeria is far better that US that has no morals. Men shamelessly sleeping with me and women like wise. Rememebr, US started with church and till today, they trust in God. We are not wiser than them in that area. They will come back to God like russia
Re: The Expressway Churches by Alpha3006: 12:02am On Feb 03, 2010
choose islam and die of terrorist attack soon
qtx what does islam and terrorism got to do with the topic please i want u to tell me?cos i dont understand why most people like u try to twist things.if u want to critisize the writer fine and good not to bring in examples that does not conform what's been discussed.
Re: The Expressway Churches by verycute: 12:11am On Feb 03, 2010
I am sure when money was introduced for offering people talked that it was a new method of stealing. B/c before, we give with the farm produce when money has not been introduced. Not credit card is introduced and they are picking on it. People grow up. What is the different if i pay my tight with check, cash or credit card. Its all the same. Stop complaning of everything about church. If i want to give all my money to pastor, its my money and not yours. I have never seen anybody on nairaland saying that brotels and other immoral places are bad. Yet people go there, spend their money and finish their lives. Every time, its church this and church that. If church is a means of making moeny, what are u waiting for. Start one immediately and lets see.
Re: The Expressway Churches by Genuflect(m): 12:15am On Feb 03, 2010
You still sound like you don't know what you are talking about. Answer my question first: do you stay in Nigeria
Re: The Expressway Churches by g1(m): 12:21am On Feb 03, 2010
Timijo:

Have u forgoten dat the great sciensts in d world an inventors are christians?Hw dare u said christianity brougt mediocrity.U said there is no God, den tel me and others, who created you,animals,plants and other things in d world. Do u think u own your life to urself?Do u really no d end of a man who says there is no God?Do u no dat there is notin dat exist in dis world witout d knowledge of God.Come to think of it, if u die now wat is your hope?Take it or leave it nd perish, Christianity is a true religion. U said dat Jesus Christ predicted His 2nd comin and is yet to come.He didn't tel any one d time He is comin back just b'cos of people like u who refuse to acknowledge God y they exist."A FOOL SAYS IN HIS HEART DAT THERE IS NO GOD"[/b]This same FOOL wil agree dat there is God probably at d point of death or in an unquenchable lake of fire.Believe it or not JESUS IS COMING BACK TO CARRY HIS OWN PEOPLE TO WHERE HE IS IN D KINGDOM OF GOD.I advice u not to allow scientific knowledge to ruin your life.Can u rememba your friend - Nebuchadenezzar hw he later acknowledged d existency of God wen He dealt wit him?REPENT and believe in Jesus - God - Eternity.God created u nd He loves u.Y do u want to reject His unconditional love?My dare Readers don't be confuse.God exists b'cos, there is notin that can exist witout d knowlege of GOD.[color=#990000][/color]

i think you made a mistake, actually it is [b]THE FOOL SAYS IN HIS HEART THERE IS A GOD
grin grin cool
Re: The Expressway Churches by verycute: 12:31am On Feb 03, 2010
I am in Lagos and very happy that all the streets are getting more churchs rather than brotels.
Re: The Expressway Churches by Genuflect(m): 12:43am On Feb 03, 2010
Dude, I think you are being myopic. Nobody mentioned anything about a competition between brothels and churches. The point is most churches in Nigeria are exploiting their members. The minds of the masses are weak to the extent that they can't think of analysing what the Pastor says. I've been in a service where two pastors contradicted each other. Should I just agree blindly? Nigerian Christians are too passive. Everybody is scared to critique what the Head Pastor says or does
Re: The Expressway Churches by bawomolo(m): 12:44am On Feb 03, 2010
verycute:

I am in Lagos and very happy that all the streets are getting more churchs rather than brotels.

yeah that's a true sign of development. a church on every block.
Re: The Expressway Churches by MT: 12:45am On Feb 03, 2010
@ Canuck
Credit card is not synonymous with DEBT; it is purely a mode of payment.

I disagree with your opinion and I believe you know that it does not translate to insulting your sensibilities.

Credit Card is a mode of payment - Accepted, but in this scenario, not the right mode to use. Credit Card is meant to be a last resort. You enjoy free interest for sometime, after which you will be slammed with high interest rate. If you are liquid enough, why would you choose that path ?. What happens to your debit card. You can withdrawal money from your account using debit card and there wont be any urgency to return it.

Credit Card comes with urgency, failure of which high interest rate will be paid. Ask yourself this question, why will people that are struggling be made to become desperate ?. Why putting undue pressure on people that are already stressed beyond their limit ?.

The God we serve is not that wicked!

While I do not ask you to see it my way, we should try to condemn what is not appropriate, even if it stares us hard in the face or affects us personally.

That is one of the ways  to help others who are being deceived all in the name of religion.

I state again Churches asking members to pay tithe with credit card is not only ungodly but criminal in nature
Re: The Expressway Churches by verycute: 12:51am On Feb 03, 2010
people are not myopic sir. That two pastors contradicted themself is not enough reason to quite church. Even in science, some times they do contradict themselves, but we still enter an air plane and also use our lab top. If you want to go to church,u go. Its for yourself and not for the pastor. But make sure that you hold you offering and tight very well. Use clue or better don't bring any money to church. But I tell you, work must go on in the church and the church will be far more richer. When God said, I will buld my church, he did not put your name. So let the pastiors exploit us, we love it like that than brotels and night club owners taking it from us.
Re: The Expressway Churches by okunoba(m): 12:54am On Feb 03, 2010
One of the best post have read on Nairaland, sadly enough I feel it`s almost a lost cause, the brain washing is too deep and probably irreversible. Our culture is riddled with myths and superstitions passed on from one generation to another from a very early age, by the time we reach adulthood the falsehood becomes so ingrained  to the point where we lose sense of reality.

Religion practiced today in Nigeria is a reflection of our culture, we have always believed that there are  individuals who have the powers to solve all our problems through spiritual means. Before the Arabs and Europeans came, we called them Babalawo, now they go by many names, men of god, pastor, imam, witch doctor and so on. But they all still  profess to have the ability to solve all our problems through spiritual means since they are the creators Representative here on earth.

While the Europeans have moved on to the world of science and reason we are still stuck in the world of spirits and demons.  We can only hope that with time we too will join the rest of the World in embracing reason instead of myths and superstitions.
Re: The Expressway Churches by MT: 12:58am On Feb 03, 2010
@Okunoba

sadly enough I feel it`s almost a lost cause, the brain washing is too deep and probably irreversible.

Well said. The reflection of the larger environment is here to see on Nairaland. It is so sad!
Re: The Expressway Churches by yourangel: 1:01am On Feb 03, 2010
I think the so-called Awoyokun, who wrote this piece is lame and biased towards Christianity. He didnt get his facts right.

The same Albert Eistein said in a 1941 symposium entitled "science, philosophy and religion" that : "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind". Hence, it's not possible to separate science from religion. What do you say about great scientists like Isaac Newton and  Galileo Galilei who were devoted christians? Awoyokun spoke like someone who doesnt believe in God (only a fool would say there is no God), whereas the Eistein he talked about had these comments to make about God Almighty:

"At any rate, I am convinced that He [God] does not play dice".   Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955), In a letter to Max Born, 1926

"Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish".   Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

How could you compare the prediction of eclipse with the second coming of the Messiah? You better give your life to Christ before it's too late.
Re: The Expressway Churches by g1(m): 1:11am On Feb 03, 2010
yourangel:

I think the so-called Awoyokun, who wrote this piece is lame and biased towards Christianity. He didnt get his facts right.

The same Albert Eistein said in a 1941 symposium entitled "science, philosophy and religion" that : "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind". Hence, it's not possible to separate science from religion. What do you say about great scientists like Isaac Newton and  Galileo Galilei who were devoted christians? Awoyokun spoke like someone who doesnt believe in God (only a fool would say there is no God), whereas the Eistein he talked about had these comments to make about God Almighty:

"At any rate, I am convinced that He [God] does not play dice".   Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955), In a letter to Max Born, 1926

"Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish".   Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

How could you compare the prediction of eclipse with the second coming of the Messiah? You better give your life to Christ before it's too late.

keep wasting your life with jesus, if you know whats good for you, you will give your life to harry potter
Re: The Expressway Churches by Genuflect(m): 1:18am On Feb 03, 2010
I am a Christian and I believe in God. But imagine a pastor telling you to give up your salary in church. Nigerians will do that but once they leave church, they become so tight-handed. Infact, the brain-washing is so deep that even these men of God cannot reverse the process
Re: The Expressway Churches by g1(m): 1:22am On Feb 03, 2010
Re: The Expressway Churches by yourangel: 1:28am On Feb 03, 2010
g1:

keep wasting your life with jesus, if you know whats good for you, you will give your life to harry potter

My dear brother I understand you. You can't understand it now. Just open your heart and ask God to show you the light and the way.
I trust He would answer you. Only then and then would you know the true meaning of life; the true purpose of life and the reality of life.

My love, give your life to CHRIST and you would be laying for yourself, an eternal treasure that's incorruptible and indestructible. Good night and sleep well.

God continue to bless you!
Re: The Expressway Churches by g1(m): 1:30am On Feb 03, 2010
yourangel:

My dear brother I understand you. You can't understand it now. Just open your heart and ask God to show you the light and the way.
I trust He would answer you. Only then and then would you know the true meaning of life; the true purpose of life and the reality of life.

My love, give your life to CHRIST and you would be laying for yourself, an eternal treasure that's incorruptible and indestructible. Good night and sleep well.

God continue to bless you!

thank you very much and may harry potter continue to guide you
Re: The Expressway Churches by Nobody: 3:13am On Feb 03, 2010
I thank God I believe in the Roman catholic church, all these penterascal church have really turned the religion upside down, angry
Re: The Expressway Churches by randomness: 5:41am On Feb 03, 2010
I hope this helps somebody outhere.
The way Christianity is being practiced in Nigeria is holding us back.

I understand the way religion is appreciated by human beings depends on their state of mind ,age, and experience in life. My message will be interpreted differently, but that is ok.
If prayers work for you, keep doing it, but I tell you today if praying to the Sun god work for you, keep doing it too. Both make no difference. If you want to test my hypothesis.
Fast for 24 hours and pray to the moon for favor., see what happens or fast reading the bible and pray to Jesus, see what happens. You will see that what you pray to is not important but the act of starving your cells which allows you to focus more and be in tune with your spirituality.

Science has revealed most of what we will ever know and it's the only religion that is tested and work almost all the time.
I'm typing this message with assurance that if posted, it will be read by many. You can pray to your bible one million times and this message will not be posted unless you come to this forum and type it in or otherwise. Many Christians are arrogant in believing that only their religion or denomination is the best. Many believe that the Sun rise and set for them whereas, they are so insignificant in scheme of things and position in the cosmos that a human being is only better than any animal because of their consciousness which is due to mere chance. The theory of evolution is a witness to this.

In any society where you see scientists trained for decades to better the life of the people and suddenly carrying the bible and abandoning their call, that society is doomed. Many cases like this in Nigeria. You see these same scientists enjoying the inventions by the so called ungodly people. How hypocritical?

I'm fired up and hoping to have a healthy debate with a religious person on this forum.

If you think there is a God sitting somewhere on a throne allowing you to suffer, permitting diseases, poverty, natural disasters , calamities, still birth, malformation, conjoined twins, men looking being but wired up to be female , female looking beings but feel like male, allowing bloodshed, greediness, sufferings. If that is the God you profess, then you are totally delusional and naive about your role on this insignificant planet.
Nigeria will be a better country if most Christians turn to atheists.
Re: The Expressway Churches by 69orgasmic: 7:11am On Feb 03, 2010
Interesting thread,
Re: The Expressway Churches by asunaobi(m): 8:43am On Feb 03, 2010
@debosky

You are just a very right thinking clever person. I admire too the way you write, very easy to understand, and that is what communication is all about.
Re: The Expressway Churches by dustydee: 9:01am On Feb 03, 2010
randomness:

Nigeria will be a better country if most Christians turn to atheists.
Nigeria will be a better place if people like you become a christian.
Re: The Expressway Churches by illusion2: 9:18am On Feb 03, 2010
Very interesting reading.

As others have posted ,the problem isn't with faith (or belief) in itself,but with us (Africans). We are genetically very SUPERSTITIOUS. . .be it Christian,Muslim,pagan. We suspect & relate everything to the spiritual,so it has little to do with the faith/belief in God in itself.

I remember seeing a poster advertising the services of a 'Babalawo' at a bus stop in Elephant & Castle,UK. shocked shocked : one would think leaving Africa would have 'cured' people of such beliefs. . . but that unfortunately isn't the case.

For all the issues raised by the OP,the fact is Christianity and other faiths have a largely positive impact on society drug addiction,crime & marital problems have been sorted by faith & belief.

So we shouldn't swipe all in one clean swoop.
Re: The Expressway Churches by dexmond: 9:59am On Feb 03, 2010
some of finest universities from where the so called scientist graduated were founded by christian organizations. awoyokun hates christianity.
Re: The Expressway Churches by SamMilla1(m): 10:40am On Feb 03, 2010
dexmond:

some of finest universities from where the so called scientist graduated were founded by christian organizations. awoyokun hates christianity.

Why are I.diots like you still have access to keyboard ? In your own opinion, i believe you think your have said your opinion.
You see this kind of statements makes someone jumpy.
After reading all the posts above, this is all you come up with ?
No one is telling you to leave your Religion. You just need to do the right things.
You dont wait for God to come and build your roads for you or schools ?

Did you wait for him to build your Church ? You built it. right ?
The same applies to every other thing. If you get sick, go to Hospital. Pray for quick recovery on your sick bed, but take your drugs too.
Re: The Expressway Churches by verycute: 11:21am On Feb 03, 2010
who is talking of Roman Catholics here. Please say something nice. They have lost their relevance. God used them to bring Christianity, but they are of no use these days. Its just a social club now, no power, no holy spirit, nothing but human doctrine.
Re: The Expressway Churches by EPOMA(m): 11:37am On Feb 03, 2010
@verycute,

Rememebr, US started with church and till today, they trust in God. We are not wiser than them in that area. They will come back to God like russia

I think you should see more to what the poster is trying to imply on this article, I believe fully in God and religion. Sometimes it is good to have this kind of post.
  I disagree fully that america started with church, how come most of the stuff related to America are all Masonic from the statue of liberty to the signs of the American dollar, to the designs of washington streets, They all have to do with freemason.
   There is an incident in PH when a local government chairman donated of 20million naira of stolen funds to his local church and he was seen as a hero, tell me where is the morals there. We have to think for ourselves deeper , not having churches all over the place that has lost it values.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Election Of Church Leaders By Voting: Is It Biblical? / Jesus Christ Is God / Now, With Science And Money, the Curses On Adam And Eve becomes Inconsequential

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.