Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,023 members, 7,883,538 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 12:23 PM

Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering (1043 Views)

HELP: Simple Server Has Stopped Working On PC. Anyone Experiencing This??? / Some Keys On My Laptop Just Stopped Working / Sbupdate Module Has Stopped Working (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by javarules(m): 7:24am On May 23, 2008
Adobe Reader

What does Adobe Reader do? Displays PDF pages. How does it do it? With as much bloody-minded bureaucracy, delay and needless interaction as possible. Perhaps it's because we humans have been spoiled by books, where the gap between wanting to read something and reading it is as short as the time taken to lift the cover. But Reader's incessant updates (demanding you reset your computer — why?), thundering great list of modules to load, and hour-glass-provoking pauses for thought have given Portable Document Format a reputation for being as welcome as a flatulent camel in the kitchen.

Which is a shame, because other lightweight PDF readers seem to manage perfectly well.

Apple
Oh, Apple. You created a domain where humans came first. You took usability and distilled it into an art form. Now look at you. iTunes is a music player the size of a fat-bottomed whale that gobbles resources like krill. It spends half its time trying to sell us stuff and the other half trying to stop us using it. But that's not as bad as your auto-update policy: slipping us stealth copies of Safari under the cover of important version updates to iTunes and Quicktime — what is this, Make Microsoft Look Good like a saint Undecided?

Windows Update
Your machine will reset in four minutes. Your machine will not shut down until these five updates are installed. You must restart your machine now. You will install Microsoft Genuine Advantage. Please wait while these updates are installed. Please shut down all applications before applying this update. Pop! New updates are ready to be installed. And now that we've stopped you doing whatever it was you were doing (like we care), shall we go ahead and install them now, or would you rather be interrupted yet again later?

lemme be kind and not talked about Vista.

RealPlayer
If this software turned up at your door, you'd call the police. RealPlayer commits just about every sin in the book, sprinkling itself across your desktop and offering 'Free games!'. It installs a 'Message Center' that tells you about microcelebrities. There is more advertising embedded in the application than used to be on the front page of The Times. And you just wanted to stream Tu Face.

We were given software to install. 'Disable your firewall', it commanded. 'Drop dead', we replied.

Java
Now you dont think I will spare my language of choice right? No hard feelings java, just saying the truth

Java doesn't do anything by itself. It's a programming language. Programming languages are like sewage plants: if the average user becomes aware of them, something's gone wrong.

Java doesn't know this. Java wants to be in your face. Java wants to be updated. Java wants to tell you the good news about Sun. Have you heard about Sun? Here's a nice picture of our logo. And fancy a copy of OpenOffice? No? Well, never mind. Java's installed a copy of Yahoo Toolbar in your browser instead. Because that's what programming languages are there to do, right

Yahoo
And talking of Yahoo. Please stop. Please stop trying to take over my email, my search engine, my home page. Please stop 'updating' your IM client to include more emoticons, animations, noises and whatnot — or at least have the good grace to produce a grown-ups' edition I can use at work without feeling like I should still be reading Super Comics. And yes, when I ask to exit the software, that's because I really want to, not because I'm having a crisis of doubt.

And there is absolutely no point in a toolbar that just replicates all the options on your web site's front page. Not unless you want to come across as the sort of shrill, desperate, needy software company that makes big noises about user relationships but in fact knows less about its users than the President know about AJ. City

Norton Antivirus
It's a little unfair to pick on Norton Antivirus and make it carry the sins of half the desktop malware industry — but only a little unfair. If ever a class of software deserved to be cast into the lower reaches of Hell and run on Satan's own desktop, it is this. Performance- sapping, space-hogging, noisy, irritating and prone to inducing just as many problems as they purport to solve, these horrible, ineffective, expensive lumps of digital thuggery keep entire platoons of support engineers in business and home users in tears. We know. We get the phone calls. Mc.Cafe please dont rejoice you are Nortons brother of the same mother!

Preinstalled software bundles
After quarter of a century of the IBM PC, we still don't understand why so many companies feel obliged to create swathes of below-par software to install on the computers they sell. Notebook makers are the worst, and Sony the king of them all: the first job for any new VAIO owner is to strip out the layers of desktop 'enhancements', media 'managers' and system 'control software' that serve only to get in the way of doing things the way you know how to do them, interfere with other software packages and suck up such enormous amounts of resources on start-up that two weeks after you've bought one, you're still not sure whether it's broken or not.

Outlook/Exchange
Free, web-based email systems have more storage than you can use. They have powerful, accurate, swift search systems. They have clean interfaces, with threaded conversations and sane attachment management.

Then there's Microsoft's Outlook. Things have been getting better for those whose corporate upgrade strategy allows it, but with major updates happening every four years or so that's a long time to be looking at a non-threaded, licence-restricted storage- squeezed, treacle-slow-searching email system. Especially while the online services get better and better, and doubly so now that email is the single most important business application ever created.

Flash
There's nothing wrong with Flash, provided you don't use it to construct web sites where people want to find information, navigate easily or do anything beyond passively consume exactly what you choose to give them in exactly the way you've decided.

There's also nothing wrong with using it for a splendid splash screen replete with movies, sound and animation — if you don't mind frustrating, annoying and possibly even driving away people who might, just might, have something better to do.

In fact, Flash-based web sites are quite possibly one of the most useful pieces of network technology around. Like heroin or microlights, they ensure that those who think it's a good idea aren't around to annoy us for too long.
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:50am On May 23, 2008
I really found you article amusing but you forgot the bloatware of the century windows vista. Built with the same price it costs to build an atomic bomb and see its performance
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by javalove(m): 10:33am On May 23, 2008
lol, very funny i cudnt believe i was laffing aloud and everyone is asking me wats wrong, PLEASE ADD WINDOWS VISTA its very annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wont use it until 2 and a half yrs after its release date to see wat changes and updates dey might have made,
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by javarules(m): 11:26am On May 23, 2008
I said "let me be kind and not talked about Vista." but after two requests I can't but talk about it

First if you are really pissed about vista, go join this group of people http://badvista.fsf.org/ they have started a move to blasting Vista outa the PC world to PC Hell where it belongs.

Next you need to read this post, the concluding part is what i like most
"Why is it that using a network to share files is too insecure for Microsoft to allow family members to do -- but it's perfectly safe to plug in USB keys that contain who-knows-what?"
http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2008/01/how-bad-is-vist.html

If you gat time read this too http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/02/drm_in_windows_1.html its a long one though

Vista Vista Vista, I don't think any other bloatware can come up in 10 years that will beat this piece of shit in bloatisome, Vista we have given u a medal because you have won the competition for the Bloatiest of bloats.

Why I don't like Vista, I can write for ages, but these are a few reason

Security problems.
Just as it claimed with Windows XP five years ago, Microsoft says Vista is the most secure Windows version yet. That’s true, given the company’s dismal security record. Yet, as I write this, Microsoft is rushing out an emergency patch for a Vista flaw that, as Windows Update says, “could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it.” That threat wording sounds exactly the same as the old Windows XP PC.

Don’t count on third-party security programs to protect Vista yet, either. Vista doesn’t work with many of them, forcing the security companies to write them from scratch. ZoneAlarm’s firewall still isn’t compatible. At least Windows XP’s third-party security programs come with five years of real world experience.

Aero display confusion.
Some reviewers glow about Vista’s Aero “glass” interface, which places glossy transparent borders around every window. All that prettiness brings an unpleasant side-effect, unfortunately. Transparent borders mean that the active window – the one you’re currently working with – blends in with the rest of the pack. Put two Aero windows side by side and look for yourself: With no colored strip across the top, the active window’s only earmark is a tiny red box in its upper right corner.

To turn off Aero, right-click the desktop and choose Personalize. Click Theme, and switch to Windows Classic. Nope, it’s not as pretty, but it’s more efficient. Besides, Windows Classic is the only theme that works on most laptops, which lack the graphics horsepower to handle Aero.

User Account Control nags.
Microsoft certainly grabs your attention with its new User Account Control alerts. Whenever you do something requiring administrative rights – installing a new font, for example – Vista darkens the screen and asks for your permission to continue. And you sometimes have to click a zillion dialog boxes before you can continue

Sure, this drama makes your PC more secure, as it makes people think before doing something potentially dangerous. But it will also annoy most people to the point of turning it off, defeating its purpose.

To dump User Account Control, click the user photo atop your Start menu, and choose Turn User Account Control On or Off.

Hidden display settings.
Tasks that were so easy in Windows XP become cumbersome in Windows Vista. To change the display settings in Windows XP, for example, you right-click the desktop and choose Properties. The Display Properties window appears, letting you choose a new theme or click tabs for changing your background, screen saver, appearance or resolution.

Vista added an onion of layers to do the same thing: Right-clicking the desktop and choosing Personalize doesn’t let you do anything – except fetch the Control Panel’s options for controlling the things Windows XP offers up front. (And, for some reason, Display Settings, the most frequently accessed option, appears at the bottom of the list.)

What about network access and control, leave that as talk for another day.

Missing folder menus.
While cluttering the Control Panel, Vista cleaned up the folder window. Unfortunately, they did so by removing the menus. That’s right: Window menus, depended upon by a generation of PC owners, now lay hidden behind a press of the Alt key.

To bring back the folder menus, choose Start -> Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Folder Options -> Use Classic Windows Options, and click OK.

No off switch.
Years ago, turning off a PC was as simple as pushing a button. Vista transforms that simple task into two shortcut icons and an arrow that fetches a seven-option menu. It’s a rare PC owner who wants to ponder menu options when he tries to leave his PC.

Why not take mercy on the average PC owner and make Vista’s Off button actually turn off the PC? Leave the other options for tech hounds to add with a trip to the Control Panel.

Lack of drivers.
Vista still lacks drivers for lots of hardware, perhaps because of a lack of Vista enthusiasm among vendors. To be fair, Windows XP also suffered a dearth of drivers after its release. But you could usually download a Windows 2000 driver that worked just as well in XP. Vista lacks that safety net, leaving loads of equipment bound for the landfills as Vista owners replace equipment that worked fine with Windows XP.

Forced software upgrades.
During the tech boom, people felt obligated to upgrade their software with each new version. Nobody wanted to be left behind on the tech curve. Today, people realize they can crop a photo just as easily with last year’s version of Paint Shop Pro as the latest version. Unfortunately, Vista sucker punches its owners into buying Vista versions of their software because hundreds of Windows XP software packages won’t run under Vista.

No Killer App.
So, what pressing reason drives us to Vista besides the fact that it’s finally arrived? There really isn’t one. In fact, most people encounter Vista simply because they find it preinstalled on their new PC.

These are just a few reasons keeping me from booting Vista on an everyday basis; there are many more.

Maybe I’ve been spoiled by Windows XP and the slew of free programs that prop it up so well. Firefox, and its hundreds of extensions outshine Internet Explorer and its meager add-ons. (Firefox users were protected from Vista’s latest security problem, as well.) Google’s Desktop Search works just as well or better than Vista’s newly enhanced search.

And do I forget to say that Vista is as fast as a snail?
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by tomX1(m): 6:22pm On May 27, 2008
Most softwares give you an option to check "Automatic update" either during installation or through some other menu item after instalation. If the auto update feature becomes a problem you could always turn it off. I personaly never enable any aout-update feature on any software I install and I never have the problems you guys out-line. If I need updates I know where to look.
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by javarules(m): 6:30pm On May 27, 2008
@tomX tx God for your life, but remember there are other guys who dont even know what option to check or remove, and when the software says "If you dont know what to do(i.e if you are an average user, it does not mean you are a dummy) leave the default settings they work just fine" wot do you do?

So its not for tech guys like us to judge, I am talking about my customers who called me and told me my software is making their system slow and when I checked its just one of their softwares that is d problem,

Or when a customer calls you that your software has caused virus to enter his system and when u checked someone, oh sorry some software has told him, if you dont turn off your firewall, I wont work, do you want to turn it off, lemme ask you if you are an average computer user, will you keep firewall or will you install iTunes?

ciao
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by javaprince(m): 1:57pm On May 28, 2008
Good write. Its good to see most of my problems with Windows especially Vista in black and white (but truth I can't break my Laptop!).

My migration to Ubuntu - can't be seen yet as a lovely experience. I have to spend considerable time (which hav already started) to learn Linux Environment(commands) before I can do meaningful things on it.

Word should go to Dell, Sony, HP, Toshiba (all haters of freeware - so it seems) to start bundling their laptops with Linux(Ubuntu, GNU/Linux etc). But would they?

Also serious effort should be made to bring Linux OS to the non-technical ( we should stop seeing Linux 4 technical oriented ppl).

JOKER :- [B]"Have u ever caught a secretary typing a business letter on OpenOffice.org" [/B]
No way, she'll rather use Microsoft Office.

Am neither there nor here but I want the best User experience. To achieve that, I'll have to spare about N 10,000.00 to buy a 2GB RAM to increase the current RAM on my Laptop to 3GB. All in d name of running Vista , and my other applications(netbeans 6.1, Oracle 10g, Apache Web Server, etc.).

So The sooner I learn Linux the better.

"The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights. , " - Microsoft.

Imagine a quote like dat from a Software I paid good money for. (Bought my Laptop for
N140,000.00 came bundled with Vista) and I still got no rights.

So The sooner I learn Linux the better.
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by javarules(m): 3:35pm On May 28, 2008
@java prince

JOKER: Have you ever seen a real human being using Microsoft Windows Vista
ANSWER: No, Only dummies

@all
Just Kidding
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by adewaleafolabi(m): 6:01pm On May 28, 2008
Well ubuntu isn't that technical look at www.ubuntunigeria. i've been using ubuntu for close to 2years.and i don't really use commands so to say
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by tomX1(m): 7:19pm On May 28, 2008
javaprince:

. . . My migration to Ubuntu - can't be seen yet as a lovely experience. I have to spend considerable time (which hav already started) to learn Linux Environment(commands) before I can do meaningful things on it.
Word should go to Dell, Sony, HP, Toshiba (all haters of freeware - so it seems) to start bundling their laptops with Linux(Ubuntu, GNU/Linux etc). But would they?

Market/Bussines savvy.
According to Simpson's law (Hommer Simpson that is): Anything that is difficult to do is not worth doing!
End users do not want to bust their balls just to use a product. Manufacturers will always target the platforms that are easier on the consumers and more readily available.

consumers will go for the products that will give them less stress to use. Which company will like to loose productive man hours all in the name of trying to migrate their employees to Linux? As if using a using windows and MS Office is not already too technical for most base users. I am a programmer and I am not set to waste my time learning to use Linux. I've got more productive things to do.
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by javalove(m): 8:28pm On May 28, 2008
Long live otigbba, Long Live Computer Village, !!!
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by javarules(m): 6:41pm On May 29, 2008
@java love
Long live M$

@tomx
According to Simpson's law (Hommer Simpson that is): Anything that is difficult to do is not worth doing!

I guess u are not a programmer, programming is anything but easy sir

I am a programmer and I am not set to waste my time learning to use Linux. I've got more productive things to do.

I said the same thing 2 years before I found out M$ windows sucks, sorry when u get to that bridge u will cross it, i've been dr too sir.

No Offense meant.
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by Oluwole91: 12:56pm On May 31, 2008
good
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by Kobojunkie: 4:28pm On May 31, 2008
I am with you @Tomx. The New MS Office is been really good to me and I have to say I intend to buy the full version soon so I can take advantage of all the tools available to me.'

I have been on vista at work and at home for some months now and not a single problem with the OS. I successfully write and run my applications with little or no hiccups and have no clue why others find it hard to use the same.
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by javarules(m): 4:40pm On May 31, 2008
@kobojunkie

Looking at your post and the message under it, i want to believe you have something against linux, i dont have that againt you, i also was an hater of free software or open source software, but time changed all that.

Talking about M$ Office I wonder what you liked about it, if I have to start looking for File menu on my new software whereas its VERY Obviuos on the hold one, then I wonder,
If my new software will make me loose tons of the work I have done in my old software(Now this is a rare case with M$ Office, but It has happened), then once again I wonder,
If I have to pay for what I can get for free, then again I wonder
If what is free has more functionalities than what is paid for, I keep wondering,
If what if free has several plugins I can get for free and use as i like and what is paid for is licensed to remove my rights, then once again I wonder,
If what is free takes less space on my hdd, eats less memory and does better than what I pay for, oh I wonder,
What if what is paid for has an habit of changing the way things look so much that I have to learn new things with every new release, then I wonder,
If what is paid for tries as much as possible to tie me to paying for every new release even when the old releases performs better, I keep on wondering,

My last question is this, why offer a FEE for what you can get for FREE?
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by Kobojunkie: 4:47pm On May 31, 2008
javarules:

@kobojunkie

Looking at your post and the message under it, i want to believe you have something against linux, i don't have that againt you, i also was an hater of free software or open source software, but time changed all that.

Talking about M$ Office I wonder what you liked about it, if I have to start looking for File menu on my new software whereas its VERY Obviuos on the hold one, then I wonder,
If my new software will make me loose tons of the work I have done in my old software(Now this is a rare case with M$ Office, but It has happened), then once again I wonder,
If I have to pay for what I can get for free, then again I wonder
If what is free has more functionalities than what is paid for, I keep wondering,
If what if free has several plugins I can get for free and use as i like and what is paid for is licensed to remove my rights, then once again I wonder,
If what is free takes less space on my hdd, eats less memory and does better than what I pay for, oh I wonder,
What if what is paid for has an habit of changing the way things look so much that I have to learn new things with every new release, then I wonder,
If what is paid for tries as much as possible to tie me to paying for every new release even when the old releases performs better, I keep on wondering,

My last question is this, why offer a FEE for what you can get for FREE?

I am going to guess you somehow believe you are psychic to assume that I have something against LINUX.  To that I say you should not quit your day job.

Like I mentioned earlier, I have used and continue to use MS office and after evaluating it for months, I find it worth the money for me. If you like free, good for you but I have used the tool both at work and at home and even programmed with it and I am content with what it has to offer me and so have no issues with paying up for it. If you do not want to buy it that is not the same as the problem actually being that of the software itself but you simply not finding it as useful as the many others who do, happen to. Simple.

As for vista, I use it and have no problems with it and have explained that I am so far satisfied with what it offers me and have no intensions of changing soon. I used XP before this but was forced to move to Vista for work and we have yet to experience any problems with it in our organization, so forgive me but I am satisfied with it as is.
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by javarules(m): 4:52pm On May 31, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I have used and continue to use MS office and after evaluating it for months, I find it worth the money for me.

Months evaluating M$ Office? it takes a first look to know Open Office in and out wink

On vista I agree with you. My boss had the same views.And if you just a user no problem.Its only when you are a super user that problems arises.Or when you security issues start starring you in the face.

My boss will never look upon Vista again, he prefers his Win XP now

I know u too will come to respect WinXP
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by Kobojunkie: 4:55pm On May 31, 2008
javarules:

Months evaluating M$ Office? it takes a first look to know Open Office in and out wink

Is it that you find it hard to understand why even programmers have different tastes in software I have open office on my machine. Have had it since Lord knows when and I still go to MS office to open edit or do anything with my documents. We all have different tastes. Some are addicted to Open source/free. Others are not influenced by such.
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by javarules(m): 5:03pm On May 31, 2008
I tot someone said on this post that learning linux wastes his time.

I hope this person wont mind spending MONTHS learning Vista and M$ Office

The point is this.Go online, do a search and see what even techys are saying about Vista and Office

Its not me like I use M$ Office.I have been using Linux since God knows when.I have clients who bought new laptops and call me on a daily basis

Someone called and said "I have not been able to successfully shutdown my Windows Vista since I bought it"

That means something to me. It means something to all the guys out there who believes M$ could have done better that releasing a Windows that's practically unusable to those who are used to the former releases.

The difference between SUSE 10.1 and 10.3 is not un-usability its functionality
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by javaprince(m): 5:15pm On May 31, 2008
@kobokunjie
i understand and respect ur views. Truth be told in Nigeria today a lot of people are not aware of the facilities provided by "OpenOffice", hence we use Microsoft Office,

Programmers/Users have different needs. I'll just advise us to go with what meets our needs more easily. I'll advise ppl like javarules and co(Opensource promoters) to try and initiate and NGO to educate ppl on OpenSource, OpenOffice,org and d likes.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will continue using our Vista(including me) and Win XP, till we get it right.

Quote 1: "My lecturer once said u don't get VERY GOOD SOFTWARES FOR FREE"

QUOTE 2: "I have Vista and Ubuntu" Paid for my copy of Win Vista thru my Nose, got my Ubuntu Linux (2 DVDs) for free delivered at my doorstep. But still yet am using Vista (98%) of d time.
I love Linux, but don't know it. Grew up(trained) with Windows(from 98, thru ME, thr 2000, XP, now Vista).

@javarules
U said ur boss left Vista for XP. Well for me since I saw Vista have never I mean never touched Linux(I love beautiful things - even though they may be less efficient". My Vista just warned me It wanted to shutdown my system becos of some crazy updates I didn't initiate(IMAGINE).

But I'll still use VISTA till I learn LINUX.

am not there nor here, but learning and sharing my sincer views.
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by Kobojunkie: 5:21pm On May 31, 2008
javarules:

Well, I agree with the person. Why move from what you already know and have no problems with just cause someone else has an opinion that another is better.

I didn't say it took me months to LEARN MS office. I have been using MS office since College and was also introduced to star office at the same time. I have been using MS Office over star office since then even though I always seemed to take out a couple of minutes to download the latest Star office just in case.

I have used Star office on occassion but I get drawn back to MS office still. Now with the new MS Office, what I posted was I downloaded the trial version and tested it out; this is after using Star office for about a month before. After the trial, I am convinced that Paying for the full version is actually a good idea. Simple!

javarules:

The point is this.Go online, do a search and see what even techys are saying about Vista and Office

Its not me like I use M$ Office.I have been using Linux since God knows when.I have clients who bought new laptops and call me on a daily basis

Someone called and said "I have not been able to successfully shutdown my Windows Vista since I bought it"

The point is not what some say about Vista. Everyone will always have an opinion which falls one way or another. I have learnt that with software, the best is to go for what you want and learn of your own, not go out there and taking every opinion you read of at face value.

Having worked with different companies, I can tell you I have learned that what is good for the goose is not necessarily for the gander and just cause one goose does not like one software does not mean the same software will not be best for the other goose.

I had tons of problems back some 10 years ago when I first tried LINUX, I have tried so many times since then to jump on the LINUX band wagon and have run into tons of problems as well. Does not mean LINUX is not good at all.Simply means it is good for those who can deal with it. I couldn't. I even bought the red hat server to use on my server machine but ended up going to Windows 2003 after a couple of months of complications.

javarules:

That means something to me. It means something to all the guys out there who believes M$ could have done better that releasing a Windows that's practically unusable to those who are used to the former releases.

The difference between SUSE 10.1 and 10.3 is not un-usability its functionality

Like I already posted, what is good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander.

@Javaprince, I am not in Nigeria at all. I just downloaded Star Office last night cause I like to keep it as backup ( Have had that mentality since college even though I rarely ever need to use it). I have been using MS office for about 10 years now and have had no reason to switch. I use it both at home and work so for me, star office is just back up and remains that way.
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by javarules(m): 5:39pm On May 31, 2008
@kobojunkie

I am sorry I picked on you like that.I found out that the best way to make friends is first get them on edge and then apologise.

If you know me u will know that I care less about this or that. I just post here people's opinions of these softwares.

If I can diss Java. then who shud I spare

So I believe its not what tools is better than the other.

I dont even think I can use Win XP that well. I have been a linux person all the while.

I believe what is most important is GET THE JOB DONE and make your customers happy.

I will like to meet you. trinisoftinc@yahoo.com
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by tomX1(m): 9:49am On Jun 03, 2008
When you qoute someone be sure to use the qoute in the right context:
javarules:

. . . .@tomx

I guess u are not a programmer, programming is anything but easy sir

Original qoute:
@tomX:

Market/Bussines savvy.
End users do not want to bust their balls just to use a product. Manufacturers will always target the platforms that are easier on the consumers and more readily available.
consumers will go for the products that will give them less stress to use. . . .

The rule in question is a guide to general consumer attitude to product not to the developers. If you think creating difficult to use softwares is the way out for you then best of luck.

javarules:

javarules:

. . .I don't even think I can use Win XP that well. I have been a linux person all the while. . . .

Your difficulties with Microsoft Office And Microsoft Windows is easily understood then. I did not need more than a few hours to migrate from office 2003 to office 2007. I learnt how to use Windows in a matter of days (back in the days) and I rearly have difficulties with it.
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by SayoMarvel(m): 1:25pm On Jun 03, 2008
Vista sucks!!!
i wrote a photo viewer/format converter with java. On win xp, it renders the image after a 2 seconds display of an indeterminate progress bar. But when i executed the same app on win vista, it renders only the part that is outside the display area, so you have to scroll to see 'em. Even the graphics of vista, you can achieve with win xp sp3, and download vista theme. so you have your xp with vista look. xp is still better than vista.
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by javarules(m): 4:51pm On Jun 03, 2008
Sincerely I cant help but smile as I am writing this. Except my understanding of English Language is shallow, which I wont doubt, ANYTHING is a term that says all, regardless of age,sex,occupation,tribe,model,height,look, regardless of anything at all, anything means all. Why am I saying this,

@tomX:

Original qoute: According to Simpson's law (Hommer Simpson that is): Anything that is difficult to do is not worth doing!
The rule in question is a guide to general consumer attitude to product not to the developers.

maybe there are no programmers when Simpson made that quote, I understand. Maybe there are but Simpson was just plain shortsighted, that also I understand. But what I dont understand is how developers are excluded from anything

And by the way who said I have difficulties with M$, nah. I only help M$ users solve their problems, and what I have posted here are the numerous cases I have witnessed from my clients. If I solve this problem and I dont even use M$ products then "any dummy can use M$", I am so sorry and I repeat so sorry if that hurts, but its d truth.

Finally, as I have always said, this is not a war with anybody, I am comfortable, my clients are happy, jobs get done, wu cares if its M$ or Linux? and if u check my post, I never wanted to mention Vista, i did so by popular demand.
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by javalove(m): 8:18pm On Jun 03, 2008
javarules:

and if u check my post, I never wanted to mention Vista, i did so by popular demand.

? meaning, what was the essence of the post then? scoldsome and spare 1, ?
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by javarules(m): 8:38pm On Jun 03, 2008
The essence of this post is to scold all. but check through the post, there's not a single OS mentioned. Every OS has got their idiosyncracies and I dont want to get into that yet. I want to scold the software apps first and den get down to the OSes.

I had problems with Vista(or say my clients do) and when I recieved two written and two oral requests to say something about Vista, I did. If you want me to scold Linux or FreeBSD(I have used both) I can. If you want me to talk about Apple MAC or Sun's Solaris I might not be able to, becos I have not used it and my clients have not too. So you can see why I reserve my comments initially, because if I want to scold all, then I should scold all and not leave some.

All in All, we are all just having fun aint we? cheesy
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by tomX1(m): 9:22pm On Jun 03, 2008
javarules:

. . . "any dummy can use M$", I am so sorry and I repeat so sorry if that hurts, but its d truth.

Thank you for comming to terms with a basic marketing fact. It is not a supprise then that MS Windows and Office rules. Wake up and smell the Java coffee.
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by javalove(m): 2:47pm On Jun 04, 2008
sure we are having fun, intellectual fun at that
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by javarules(m): 6:14pm On Jun 04, 2008
Ho tomX, I never tot it will be this easy, I am having fun really

@tomX:

Now u are not quoting me in the right context are u?

javarules:

And by the way who said I have difficulties with M$, nah. I only help M$ users solve their problems, and what I have posted here are the numerous cases I have witnessed from my clients. If I solve this problem and I don't even use M$ products then "any dummy can use M$", I am so sorry and I repeat so sorry if that hurts, but its d truth.

Now this is what I mean, if I can help guys solve their M$ problems and I dont use M$, that must mean I use something higher in ranking than M$ right? and "any dummy can use M$" is actually a figure of speech (i forgot what they call it) What I mean is M$ is not as easy as u make it seem.

Look at the post again and read in between the lines grin hah I am really having fun cheesy grin wink
Re: Are These Softwares Or Malwares: I Never Stopped Wondering by beelala: 6:20pm On Jun 25, 2008
hey

dont forget microsoft office 2007, with a total new toolbar options.

cranking your head just to do the basic task!!!!

(1) (Reply)

What Laptop Do I Buy? / For Sale: Two Brand New Samsung G2 Portable External Hard Drive 500gb Hi Speed U / Best Laptop To Buy With 100-125 Thousand Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.