Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,675 members, 7,975,546 topics. Date: Tuesday, 15 October 2024 at 08:30 AM

Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. (54647 Views)

Brief History And Culture Of Babur/ Bura People. / The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State / Yoruba Origin Revisited (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by MetaPhysical: 5:41pm On Sep 24, 2013
tpia@:

this "la" in obatala needs further study.

@ topic

does the "la" refer to deliverance, salvation, or divide?

eg igbala- deliverance vs la omi- divide or open

We have talked about different letters, their sounds and spark or force equivalent, we have not explored the letter T.

T, is a spark ignition for "cosmic authority".

Yoruba will say "ate" for a spread.

Atele Owo
Atele Ese

In AfroAsiatic myths Atala means a primordial settlement of earth. Where else do we see this occurrence? In the myth of creation of Ife where Oduduwa and Obatala were designated to create land from water.

In Islam (pay attention prexios, my first religios reference grin), Allahu wa Ta ala. This is an attribute or homage to GOD the creator.

The "atala" in Obatala is the same as the "atala" of the Assyrian and the "ta ala" of the Islamic faith.

It is the same ATALA which the Phoenicians, the first people to map the earth, employed to call their work "Atlas", the ocean "Atlantic", from which derived myth of a civilization "Atlantis" buried under the sea.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 5:42pm On Sep 24, 2013
i have been going throught the Bowen stuff that Physique shared, meantime, this is what i have as to Bowen on Yoruba

In adventures and missionary labours in several countries of interior of Africa, from 1849 to 1856 (vide the book Ife the holy city of the Yoruba: an annotated bibliography, by Stanley and Richard Olaniyan) Bowen noted that the sun had not been a reliious object among the people of west Africa "except at ifeh, where there was said to be large brazen(e.i. brass) images of these objects, and a brazen chain which fell down from heaven. Bowen was told that Ifeh, where men were created was on the sea.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 5:57pm On Sep 24, 2013
MetaPhysical:

We have talked about different letters, their sounds and spark or force equivalent, we have not explored the letter T.

T, is a spark ignition for "cosmic authority".

Yoruba will say "ate" for a spread.

Atele Owo
Atele Ese

In AfroAsiatic myths Atala means a primordial settlement of earth. Where else do we see this occurrence? In the myth of creation of Ife where Oduduwa and Obatala were designated to create land from water.

In Islam (pay attention prexios, my first religios reference grin), Allahu wa Ta ala. This is an attribute or homage to GOD the creator.

The "atala" in Obatala is the same as the "atala" of the Assyrian and the "ta ala" of the Islamic faith.

It is the same ATALA which the Phoenicians, the first people to map the earth, employed to call their work "Atlas", the ocean "Atlantic", from which derived myth of a civilization "Atlantis" buried under the sea.

haleluuuyah, we've got there at last grin

Meanwhile, i have always believe it has to do with Oba ta-Allah. But when i read the work of Agrippina Souza? Dilogun on Eji Onile, an Ifa verse, i dropped the speculation for Ifa position on the subject. the book is avalaible at Unilag bookshop the last time i check there.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by MetaPhysical: 6:24pm On Sep 24, 2013
prexios: i have been going throught the Bowen stuff that Physique shared, meantime, this is what i have as to Bowen on Yoruba

In adventures and missionary labours in several countries of interior of Africa, from 1849 to 1856 (vide the book Ife the holy city of the Yoruba: an annotated bibliography, by Stanley and Richard Olaniyan) Bowen noted that the sun had not been a reliious object among the people of west Africa "except at ifeh, where there was said to be large brazen(e.i. brass) images of these objects, and a brazen chain which fell down from heaven. Bowen was told that Ifeh, where men were created was on the sea.

There are so many angles, it's almost like there is no end to the revelations and discoveries.

This is just in English language, when you explore into records written in Portuguese, French, German, Spanish, Arabic, Dutch, Im sure there is far more information and chronicles on Ife and Yoruba than we can imagine to exist.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by PeterKbaba: 8:08pm On Sep 24, 2013
Nineveh could actually have meant ile ife, the people who wrote the location down in history, had to write the word in a way they could pronounce it..

Or

After the Noah's flood, water was all over the earth, the story was written from the perspective of Noah. What if God created new set of humans after the flood and named the land ile ife...
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by tpia5: 10:52pm On Sep 24, 2013
prexios: i have been going throught the Bowen stuff that Physique shared, meantime, this is what i have as to Bowen on Yoruba

this was discussed previously, although not with reference to bowen.

there was a thread where the ife stone sculptures were mentioned.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 6:35pm On Sep 25, 2013
tpia@:

this was discussed previously, although not with reference to bowen.

there was a thread where the ife stone sculptures were mentioned.
Well there are valuable insight concealed in that piece: today people says oduduwa came thru a chain from heaven. That tradition had not existed at Bowen's time because oduduwa has not been plucked from Yoruba classic. Sometime somewhere, odu'a gotta hang on d chain from heaven. When Awo started 'egbe omo oduduwa,' some Yoruba declared that olofin and not odu'a was the father of Yoruba.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 8:07pm On Sep 25, 2013
prexios: Well there are valuable insight concealed in that piece: today people says oduduwa came thru a chain from heaven. That tradition had not existed at Bowen's time because oduduwa has not been plucked from Yoruba classic. Sometime somewhere, odu'a gotta hang on d chain from heaven. When Awo started 'egbe omo oduduwa,' some Yoruba declared that olofin and not odu'a was the father of Yoruba.

Who is Olofin and who is Odu'a?
To my knowledge Odu'a is often referred to as Olofin, so your assertion lost me O!
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by MetaPhysical: 2:17am On Sep 26, 2013
9jacrip:

Who is Olofin and who is Odu'a?
To my knowledge Odu'a is often referred to as Olofin, so your assertion lost me O!

Olofin
Alaafin

These two names are designates for divine powers or divine kings..

If you observe, "divine" itself is "di-vine", which also is "di-vin", just as in Yoruba "olofin" is "ol-ofin"; or in the case of "alaafin" we have "al-afin".

Al, El, Il, Ol, Ul, in Yoruba are bridges for Objective-Subjective entities.

We have here "vin" as cognate for "fin", in similar manner that "Nineveh" is viewed as "IleIfe". The "f" in one transposed to "v" in the other and vice versa.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 7:11pm On Sep 27, 2013
MetaPhysical:

Olofin
Alaafin

These two names are designates for divine powers or divine kings..

If you observe, "divine" itself is "di-vine", which also is "di-vin", just as in Yoruba "olofin" is "ol-ofin"; or in the case of "alaafin" we have "al-afin".

Al, El, Il, Ol, Ul, in Yoruba are bridges for Objective-Subjective entities.

We have here "vin" as cognate for "fin", in similar manner that "Nineveh" is viewed as "IleIfe". The "f" in one transposed to "v" in the other and vice versa.
Great dept of analysis there. more greaze to the right places. Meanwhile, Olofin may also be an adaptation of biblical priestly tribe, LEVI. The Awori for instance pride themselves as "omo Olofin ejigiri sise, ise lafi dale-ife". That evidently shows that the title partain to some kind of priestly king with missionary task involve in the founding of ife.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 7:13pm On Sep 27, 2013
Odu'a was the same personality as olofin or alaafin as metaphisical rightly pointed out. But thanks to research, few decades ago, such identity crisis was an issue of the day. we do have a lot to do.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by MetaPhysical: 7:28pm On Sep 28, 2013
prexios: Great dept of analysis there. more greaze to the right places. Meanwhile, Olofin may also be an adaptation of biblical priestly tribe, LEVI. The Awori for instance pride themselves as "omo Olofin ejigiri sise, ise lafi dale-ife". That evidently shows that the title partain to some kind of priestly king with missionary task involve in the founding of ife.

prexios: Odu'a was the same personality as olofin or alaafin as metaphisical rightly pointed out. But thanks to research, few decades ago, such identity crisis was an issue of the day. we do have a lot to do.

Right. I submitted a post two ays ago but spambot blocked me and my post and it was lost. I will try and recompose and post later.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by ETAPHYSICAL: 11:28pm On Sep 28, 2013
I was banned again by spambot when posting a recomposed submission. i will try again
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by ETAPHYSICAL: 11:31pm On Sep 28, 2013
What is the meaning of divinity and what is meaning of Alafin or Olofin?

Divinity is "di-vinity", where the di means "two" in Greek/Latin. We should wonder, "two" of what, "two" of vinity?

Divinity is an expression of TWO REALMS -
1. Infinity - ethereal
2. Finity - ephemereal.

The realm of heaven and the realm of earth, the two together are under the cosmic power of deities, gods and the supernatural.

In Yoruba cosmology there are also two realms, symbolized physically by the lid-calabash and the container-calabash. This also tie in neatly with our philosophy of dual and opposite force as the bonding energy of order and balance or harmony, outwardly in beauty and inwardly in character.

So then we go to explore what Alafin and Olofin mean.

"al"; "el"; "ol"; "ul". These are all prefixes in Yoruba language and are used to anhor a object or subject as applicable.

Look at following attributes for the God-head:
Ela
Oluwa
Olorun
Eledumare

So Alafin and Olofin are the Yoruba designates for divine kings and mean

Alafin - The Lord of the Realm
Olofin - The Lord of the Realm

The question now is which realm, the realm of heaven or the realm of earth?

The prefix will help clarify. We should get to that sometime in future when we begin to explore Yoruba prefixed words.

The "vin" in divinity, the "fin" in infinity/finity and the "fin" in alafin/olofin, are all one and the same cosmological attributes for "power and dominion" or "realm".

I theorized earlier that the "v" of Greek is the "f" of Yoruba. There are many more discoveries to share here as we progress. I want to also say that in the Greek Venus we also find the Yoruba Ifenu.

For those who truly understand the cultural value of Ifenu in Yoruba, it is the exact quality and attribute enshrined in the mythical beauty, balance and charm of Venus.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 11:26am On Sep 29, 2013
ETAPHYSICAL: I was banned again by spambot when posting a recomposed submission. i will try again
Sorry for that, use word processor first then copy and paste to submit for the time being. Ithink amo4ce may have evolve from yemiton to therealisraelites.com. He is still involve with the campaign of calumny. May our gift not become grieve nor grave. Amen.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by MetaPhysical: 12:09am On Sep 30, 2013
prexios: Sorry for that, use word processor first then copy and paste to submit for the time being. Ithink amo4ce may have evolve from yemiton to therealisraelites.com. He is still involve with the campaign of calumny. May our gift not become grieve nor grave. Amen.

Lol, nice sense of humor!

Well, lets see, i recomposed following your suggestion lets see if it sticks.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by ETAPHYSICAL: 12:24am On Sep 30, 2013
Hey man, i hate to speculate but i bet you the blockage is targeted. i have reframed, reformated and even shrunk the post by a third of the original content and still banned. Thats an attempt to silence unpopular and non mainstream conforming contributions .

Im going to try a different way. if it continues i will go above the mods and talk straight to supermods.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by ETAPHYSICAL: 12:28am On Sep 30, 2013
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by TonySpike: 8:41am On Sep 30, 2013
A lot of hidden posts...what's happening? Is this pyguru at work?
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by ETAPHYSICAL: 5:37pm On Sep 30, 2013
Tony Spike: A lot of hidden posts...what's happening? Is this pyguru at work?

I wondered about that myself. sad

Anyway, thanks to Admin for helping out. The post stamped 11:38 on Sept 28 is what Ive been trying to push through and it kept getting hidden.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by MyJwell: 12:47am On Oct 01, 2013
prexios: Halleluyah was a powerful word when Joshua led the Israelite to Jericho, Canaan. In reference to this, the modern Yoruba Christians will say, "aleluyah lo wodi Jericho". Unknown to us, we have our variant of the sacred word tucked in Yoruba tradition.

Now the surprise? the Yoruba variant of the word Halleluyah is, well, "Eriwoh-Yah".

Its okay to be laughing right now. But lets get to business, semantic business anyway. Did you notice "wo" in the statement "lo wo odi Jericho"? what Yoruba ready-made expression absorb this historic event? the idea is concealed in "Awodi" keep that idea somewhere, it is Yoruba idea of that 'Hebrew-Jericho' tradition before the christian era. it means "wall crushers".

Eriwo-Yah

The word eriwo yah pertains with Yoruba traditional religion practitioners. That is "Awon Awo". To us, 'awo' means 'secret', but etymological wise, (that is, to the ancestors who coined the word), it means viewers, onlookers, crushers or breakers. Wo in that respect means collapse.

Somehow, Awo is a variant or short word for Ariwo, meaning shouting or noise. The Ogu have this as Aho. the Yoruba do away with 'A' and we thus have 'Ho'. Thus in Yoruba, 'HO' means "chorus noise". Example for historical reference to this is iworo (IHO-ERO, ehoro, oro, that is 'chorus noise'). Aho and Awo are short for Ariwo. A[ri]wo.

Eriwo is the encryption or early form of ariwo. That's why we have "Mariwo" in Yoruba lexicon. Now if we substitute eriwo for ariwo in the phrase eriwoyah, we have 'ARIWO-YAH' which means, "the shout of Yah". And that's exactly what the word 'Halleluyah' means, 'the shout of Yah'.

Ariwo simply means, noise. But unveiling the mask, the word means "ari-wo" that is "we saw it collapsed" another way of seeing it is syllabic wise, that is 'ari' and 'iwo', which means "seer + horn" meaning "seer's horn". the whole idea is, the word ariwo or awo encapsulate the hebrew tradition that you can find in the book of Joshua 6:1-5.

N.B. this post is earlier titled "Yoruba Ancestral Version Of Halleluyah"

www.facebook.com/ladi.akinleye

complete trash
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 8:06am On Oct 01, 2013
MyJwell:

complete trash
I am very grateful to you for making my post the first thing i read on the independent day. I tried more than you do on a complete trash, going by word usage to pass historic info across. This may not be your dessertation. Happy independent. Let's talk business: are peoples systems save with you? I have a PC to repair.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by MetaPhysical: 10:53pm On Oct 01, 2013
MyJwell:

complete trash

Please lets be respectful and have a counter argument to what we disagree with instead of just dismissing contributions. If this write up is trash, then give us something acceptable. We are learning.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by MetaPhysical: 11:07pm On Oct 01, 2013
Prexios, i was trying to back up your follow up to 9jacrip on Alafin and Olofin but i got banned and blocked repeatedly. The mods did not respond to my request for help so i went to Mukina2 for help. The post was unhidden and is at 1138 on Sept 28 above.

The summary of it is Alafin and Olofin are titles for divine kings. The "fin" in their name is where Infinity and finity derives from. Infinity/finity is combined to produce divinity, where the "di" means two...or the two powers of heaven and earth.

Alafin/Olofin stand for The Lord of the Realm in ephemereal sense (finity)

They both are second in command to the ethereal (infinity) Lord of the Realm, who commands the Throne (Arsh) - Ashe - in heaven.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by MetaPhysical: 11:12pm On Oct 01, 2013
The challenge here for us is an understanding of why we use "al" in certain instance but "ol" in another.

Do the prefix mean something significant or are they just dialects in the sub cultures of the commonwealth and mean the same thing but sounded and written differently?

Alafin
Olofin
Odofin
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by tpia5: 11:32pm On Oct 01, 2013
Al means owner, and is a unit on its own.

Ol is short for Olu, which means sovereign, or could also be owner in a more powerful sense.

i dont know the meaning of afin, its actually a rather unusual word because it ends with a consonant- yoruba generally doesnt allow that.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by MetaPhysical: 11:59pm On Oct 01, 2013
tpia@:
Al means owner, and is a unit on its own.

Ol is short for Olu, which means sovereign, or could also be owner in a more powerful sense.

i dont know the meaning of afin, its actually a rather unusual word because it ends with a consonant- yoruba generally doesnt allow that.

That makes sense. Now, Olofin is unique to the Aworis. So is Odofin. Odofin in fact is one of the Idejo titular white cap chiefs of Lagos.

Afin is Realm. When taken in perspective of your explanation for sovereingty it sits well with the title of Alaafin of Oyo.

Aworis were at one time in abode at Ife. Could Alafin/Olofin have connection with Oranyan?
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by tpia5: 12:14am On Oct 02, 2013
^isnt odofin a title?

i dont think its unique to lagos.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply)

Oluwo Akanbi Faces Dethronement As Criminal Past Of Deported Monarch Emerges / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.