Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,610 members, 7,917,960 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 07:09 PM

Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease (24796 Views)

The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. / The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by mikedanza(m): 5:01am On Jul 20, 2013
In Haematology, there is an area of influence called the Malaria Belt...it comprises of Areas around the equator and contiguous parts where mosquitoes thrive. Once a country falls WITHIN that region it is prone to SCD. Most of Africa falls within this region (including its Arab population in the North), South America and the edges of Europe close to Africa. But as expected, persons original to colder regions, where mosquitoes do not thrive have not developed these mutations of the RBCs (Red Blood Cells). So while it is not a 'black man's' disease, Africa sits right smack in the heart of the equator and its warm belly which is conducive for malaria infecting mosquitoes, hence the prevalence of coloured folks with their unfair share of the disease.
Treatment (marrow transplant) is prohibitive, therefore management and particular protection from mosquitoes, stress and stigma can be very helpful. In most cases, blood transfusion gives a more balanced relief and recovery. Remember it is their sickle shaped red blood cells that are not optimally shaped to ATTRACT, RETAIN AND TRANSPORT OXYGEN TO VITAL ORGANS. A TRANSFUSION WILL MAKE NORMAL CELLS READILY AVAILABLE TO CARRY OUT THESE FUNCTIONS.

In MOST CASES ADULT WARRIORS ALREADY KNOW THE REGIMES THAT GIVE THEM INSTANT RELIEF. IT WILL BE WISE TO FOLLOW THEIR SUGGESTIONS WITHIN THE AMBIT OF MEDICAL PRUDENCE.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by mfess(m): 7:12am On Jul 20, 2013
lost my grandma (genotype SC) some
weeks ago. Though she died aged 76, I
still cry alot anytime I remember our last
few days together. She was a rare gem.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by jimcaddy(m): 8:00am On Jul 20, 2013
Very interesting piece from the OP.. It's not easy for people living with sickle-cell.. But I believe with God, everything is possible.. Nothing too big for God to handle.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 8:05am On Jul 20, 2013
Sleek05: Lobatan....My boyfriend and I are both AC...op, pls tell me CC aint dat bad!
CC is equally bad. Though like SC, Sickle Beta-Thal, people who have CC may have a milder form of crisis. But, still it's not adviceable.
To understand it better, talk to your doctor or haematologist.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 8:11am On Jul 20, 2013
mfess: lost my grandma (genotype SC) some
weeks ago. Though she died aged 76, I
still cry alot anytime I remember our last
few days together. She was a rare gem.
Your grand was truely a Warrior, I doff my hat.
Her kind is one of the reasons why we the younger ones still have hope, that our expctations in life will not be cut off.
It is okay to cry sometimes when you remember, but I am happy you made this comment. A woman who saw her children and grandchildren, you should be proud of your grandma for proving medical science wrong. I believe she has to weather so many storms and negative remarks, and still fought on to a ripe old age of 76.
Rest in Peace Mama.

2 Likes

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Sageez(m): 9:02am On Jul 20, 2013
Abali1:
You are right with your analysis of how people can get the sickle cell disease. Sickle cell is not a communicable disease and can only be passed on through the gene of each parent.
Thus, a child born with sickle cell have parents (both) who are either AS/AS; AS/SS; AS/AC, AC/AC, SS/SS.
It is therefore the fault of BOTH parents.
thanks so much for d topic, my galfrnd is a sickle buh i am AA, what are d posible outcome for o future children, wil dy b sicklers too?
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 9:10am On Jul 20, 2013
Sageez: thanks so much for d topic, my galfrnd is a sickle buh i am AA, what are d posible outcome for o future children, wil dy b sicklers too?
Brother,
You have nothing to fear about. All your children (assuming you marry her) will be AS.
It will be your responsibilty to educate those children when they start growing about genotype pairing. You will enlighten them on the fact that they need to marry someone who is AA when the time comes.
Wish you and your GF luck.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by mfess(m): 9:19am On Jul 20, 2013
anytime i remember the way the doctors attended to her when she was hospitalized(the 1st and last in my 19years with her), i just cant help but pray for them (the other way round though). They were just so annoying. Didnt attend 2 her urgently and when they did, it was like she was just normal when in the real sense she wasnt (cuz at that point her pcv was as low as 7%!).

Wanted to transfer her but they kept say they got everything under control (stupid us) until they saw she was bout to leave us. Then they quickly referred us elsewhere.

When we arrived at the other hospital and the doctor called me in for questioning, (at that time grandma couldnt talk anymore) after going through the referral letter, he just screamed "mama is a sickler?" - guess he couldnt believe his eyes.

Then as I started explaining things to him (beginning with "it all started..."wink, someone rushed in to inform us she was dead.

Abali1:
Your grand was truely a Warrior, I doff my hat.
Her kind is one of the reasons why we the younger ones still have hope, that our expctations in life will not be cut off.
It is okay to cry sometimes when you remember, but I am happy you made this comment. A woman who saw her children and grandchildren, you should be proud of your grandma for proving medical science wrong. I believe she has to weather so many storms and negative remarks, and still fought on to a ripe old age of 76.
Rest in Peace Mama.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by mfess(m): 9:30am On Jul 20, 2013
E joo o na beg I dey beg ooo. If you dont know your genotype, pls go for a test and be informed now.

Dont wait till you have gone deep into a relationship or you are set to tie the knot(and you probably cant turn back) then you now start asking questions about genotype and you'ld be like "what's your genotype?"

In the real sense that should be one of the first question you should ask before "Would you marry me?"
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Sageez(m): 9:40am On Jul 20, 2013
Abali1:
Brother,
You have nothing to fear about. All your children (assuming you marry her) will be AS.
It will be your responsibilty to educate those children when they start growing about genotype pairing. You will enlighten them on the fact that they need to marry someone who is AA when the time comes.
Wish you and your GF luck.
thanks so so much
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 9:40am On Jul 20, 2013
mfess: anytime i remember the way the doctors attended to her when she was hospitalized(the 1st and last in my 19years with her), i just cant help but pray for them (the other way round though). They were just so annoying. Didnt attend 2 her urgently and when they did, it was like she was just normal when in the real sense she wasnt (cuz at that point her pcv was as low as 7%!).

Wanted to transfer her but they kept say they got everything under control (stupid us) until they saw she was bout to leave us. Then they quickly referred us elsewhere.

When we arrived at the other hospital and the doctor called me in for questioning, (at that time grandma couldnt talk anymore) after going through the referral letter, he just screamed "mama is a sickler?" - guess he couldnt believe his eyes.

Then as I started explaining things to him (beginning with "it all started..."wink, someone rushed in to inform us she was dead.

Yes, she could have stayed alive if the Doctors had paid a little more attention to her. Am sorry for your loss.
God's Grace was with her, even when much research has not been done in the area of Sickle Cell. Maybe God wanted her to come and rest.
Your grandma fought a good battle, and I as a warrior am proud of her.
Thanks for sharing, I am more encouraged by this story.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by babeface3: 10:30am On Jul 20, 2013
It is well in JESUS name embarassed embarassed thats all i can say
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by eahk(m): 11:07am On Jul 20, 2013
@ OP this so great of you..
My beautiful wife is a warrior and even as I type she's in crisis and pregnant and I just gave her IV painkiller..(I'm a doctor).
Thanks for correcting all those misconceptions about warriors..the pain, d stigma, the 'you-will-soon-die' look people give them..the fights with my parents and siblings..but through it all God has been soooo good to us.
And she's a mega-strong woman..and when I tell people where she works they envy her considering her status.

Don't let anyone stigmatize you or even look donw on yourself..its just a condition not a death sentence.

2 Likes

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 11:44am On Jul 20, 2013
eahk: @ OP this so great of you..
My beautiful wife is a warrior and even as I type she's in crisis and pregnant and I just gave her IV painkiller..(I'm a doctor).
Thanks for correcting all those misconceptions about warriors..the pain, d stigma, the 'you-will-soon-die' look people give them..the fights with my parents and siblings..but through it all God has been soooo good to us.
And she's a mega-strong woman..and when I tell people where she works they envy her considering her status.

Don't let anyone stigmatize you or even look donw on yourself..its just a condition not a death sentence.
I like men who can see beyond Sickle Cell Disease. People who can actually see the individual and judge him/her based on their own merit.
God will see her through the pregnancy and don't forget to come and share the good news with us.
@Sageez,
At least you can see someone who is married to a warrior. She is working ohh! Not just sitting at home using her health as an excuse.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by bizay7(m): 11:46am On Jul 20, 2013
As we take these precautions and debunk the misconceptions about sickle cell, I should add that the most important precaution should be taken at the point of choosing a wife.

When two sickle cell carrier marry out of love, they are taking a great risk of having a sickle cell child; and this is enough to suffocate the love that brought the two of them together. Here's an article that explains this concept in a better way - http://afrimash.com/what-takes-preference-in-marriage-love-or-genotype/#.UepnUNJJPa8

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by makahlj2: 1:32pm On Jul 20, 2013
mikedanza: In Haematology, there is an area of influence called the Malaria Belt...it comprises of Areas around the equator and contiguous parts where mosquitoes thrive. Once a country falls WITHIN that region it is prone to SCD. Most of Africa falls within this region (including its Arab population in the North), South America and the edges of Europe close to Africa. But as expected, persons original to colder regions, where mosquitoes do not thrive have not developed these mutations of the RBCs (Red Blood Cells). So while it is not a 'black man's' disease, Africa sits right smack in the heart of the equator and its warm belly which is conducive for malaria infecting mosquitoes, hence the prevalence of coloured folks with their unfair share of the disease.

In fact, while Europe is malaria-free now, large parts of it have been suffering from the disease for millennia. For example, the shores of the middle and low Danube river have been known as malaria-ridden places once, and viewed as even more dangerous than the Nile river itself. There was even malaria in London. Look at this map of historical distribution of Malaria (it's obviously not current, of course).

The sickle cell anemia is not more prevalent in Europe because there it had to compete with another type of hemoglobinopathy - Thalassemia.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 1:52pm On Jul 20, 2013
makahlj2:

The sickle cell anemia is not more prevalent in Europe because there it had to compete with another type of hemoglobinopathy - Thalassemia.
Can you explain the bolded more. Thank you
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by makahlj2: 2:05pm On Jul 20, 2013
Abali1:
Can you explain the bolded more. Thank you
Well, there is not much to explain. Thalassemia (Mediterranean anemia) is the name of several related inherited hemoglobin disorders, like the sickle cell anemia. It is believed that the people who have this disease (and even these who only carry the gene) are less likely to catch malaria (again like sickle cell). Therefore, it is mostly found in places which have (or had) large prevalence of Malaria (again like sickle cell). Today, it's found mostly among peoples from countries around the Mediterranean Sea (South Europe, North Africa, Middle East) and India, and also these countries' worldwide diasporas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalassemia
http://www.hematology.org/publications/50-years-in-hematology/4325.aspx
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Malubi(m): 3:32pm On Jul 20, 2013
Can inform the House of the drugs to be managing Circle cell.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 4:23pm On Jul 20, 2013
Malubi: Can inform the House of the drugs to be managing Circle cell.
This thread is for enlightnment, and not to prescribe drugs. However, I am going to list some of the drugs I have used in the past.
Folic Acid
Any good malaria preventive drug
Dioscovite
Astyfer
Astymin
Jubi Formulae
Sicklavite
Haemoglobin syrup
Ibu Profen (for pains)
Cellod-S.
At present I use only Cellod-S, occasionally mixing it with Astymin and Ibu Profen.
NB
Please avoid drugs with Iron as much as possible.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by degurl(f): 4:51pm On Jul 20, 2013
Op God bless you for this enlightenment. I pray the Lord strengthen you more and more in Jesus name.

Its not easy convincing people (intending couples) about the future dangers of two AS individual marrying.

Just two days ago, I did genotype test for a lady and the result came out AS positive. She said her fiancée is AS too and they are preparing for their wedding. I told her the dangers of both them getting married but she gave me this "what is your business, it's our life " look. So I encouraged her to see a Medical Doctor for better explanation.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 4:54pm On Jul 20, 2013
degurl: Op God bless you for this enlightenment. I pray the Lord strengthen you more and more in Jesus name.

Its not easy convincing people (intending couples) about the future dangers of two AS individual marrying.

Just two days ago, I did genotype test for a lady and the result came out AS positive. She said her fiancée is AS too and they are preparing for their wedding. I told her the dangers of both them getting married but she gave me this "what is your business, it's our life " look. So I encouraged her to see a Medical Doctor for better explanation.
The only thing I can say is, Love is blind, Marriage is an eye opener.

3 Likes

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by tipsydude(m): 6:26pm On Jul 20, 2013
Kudos to the young man who started this thread. You are indeed a WARRIOR! I have taken out time to read through every comment since after the OP started the thread, and I must confess that I have not come across a more intelligent convo since I became a member on Nairaland.

Anyways, I am Bryte. I am a WARRIOR too. Though you wouldn't know it if you met me in person. I detest referring to SC/SS as a disease, cos it isn't. The most acceptable term is condition/mutation. Living with it can be quite challenging, and it makes the victim develop some weird habits. For instance, you would think I am either Lot's wife, or a relative, with the way am so conscious about getting caught out in the rain. Sometimes my junior bro makes jokes whenever we are hanging out with friends and I point out that it's about to rain. He sometimes asks if the roof of the joint will cave in, or if our vehicle is a convertible we purchased without the hood. My phobia for rain was formed during the times I was caught out in the rain as a kid. The crisis I had to put up with due to the cold is something that I pray no one should ever experience. I would say I have experienced all the life threatening phases of living with SC/SS, and I've weathered them all. I am still standing. I still have my wits about me. My brain is still sharp and my sarcasm still very much alive.

Growing up was fun. That's how I would like to classify it. I mean there's no greater fun than staring death in the face and beating it every time. My mum once said that the only time she would panic during any of my crisis is when I no longer have a pun to drop, or don't give a sarcastic response to any question that I consider unnecessary.

In my own case, I do not blame my parents for my condition. They really had no idea about the concept of genotype when they got married. And before they could appreciate my situation, they had given birth to 3 kids already, and my mum was pregnant for the fourth. It made them so devastated and skeptical that our last born, the fifth child was born 4 yrs after the fourth, whereas there is a 2yr gap between the first four. Out of 5 of us, 2 of us are warriors, myself and my immediate junior sis. We are still intact, pursuing our various endeavors.

When it comes to meds, I think I've taken everything, except Cellod-S. But for some years now, I have been on NOTHING. I try to take my anti-malaria stuff every 6 months. Crisis is now ever so rare. I do have Diclofenac SR handy though, just for when it sneaks up on me. It helps me with severe pain. But for minor pains, I go with Panadol Extra. Truth is, I hate meds, but you can imagine how it is for one who has a condition where you should have a mobile chemist handy. Whenever the crisis can't be controlled by the Diclofenac, I get an infusion to help dilate my veins. Once the infusion starts coursing through my veins, I begin to feel relief.

As for the severity of crisis, I think it varies from person to person. Like I said earlier, I have been through all life threatening stages of SC/SS. I have had crisis where my shin bone in both legs cracked vertically. You wouldn't even need an x-ray to see it. Mere running your hands down my legs would make you aware of the cracks in the bone. I was skinny then so you would be sure of what you were touching. I have also had leg ulcers. That was when I got my first job. Just below the ankles of both legs. They actually cost me my job cos I had to resign so as to get full time medical attention. I still have scar tissue on the spots. I once had swelling/protrusions on my head when I was in my 1st year in university. Made me start wearing woolen hats and miss school for some weeks. People saw the hats as a fashion style, or a cult label cos it was more or less dark coloured head-warmers. Only my immediate family members knew what lay beneath the warmer. I remember one day I couldn't make it to out to the sitting room, so I was lying in the bedroom without the warmer and one of my aunts came in to see me. I can never forget the look on her face when she saw the swellings on my head. Her expression made me burst out in serious laughter, even before I greeted her. During our conversation, I realized that she was using her questions to ascertain if the swellings indicated a defect in my mental capacity. I later found out that she feared I had brain tumors. I weathered that too.

Presently, am getting an M.Sc in Industrial/Organizational Psychology. Not working though. My immediate junior sis got an M.Sc before myself and she's working. She's actually an expert in French Language cos that's what she studied up to M.Sc level. Our parents did everything withing their ability to preserve our lives when we were little kids. My dad was being bled like a sacrificial lamb whenever we needed blood. Sometimes he donated for both of us within 7 days. It was that bad. They tried both orthodox and traditional remedies. My dad was miraculously spared by GOD from the hands of armed robbers on one of his trips to the University of Ile Ife to get roots from a professor back then. But what I admired most was their faith. After being put down by guilt when they realized their error in being ignorant about their genotype, they dedicated all their resources to knowing about SC/SS. And they believed that they would not lose myself or my sis. We adopted that faith from them. And the moment I could think for myself, I started reading every literature on the condition. Till date, I keep up with latest developments in the management of the condition.

I have come across some contradicting information from professionals about the management of the condition. But there are some consistencies too. I NEVER over stress myself. I ALWAYS listen to my body. I DO NOT smoke or take lager beer like water. I only do on very rare occasions, and never exceed a can of star or 2 cans of smirnoff ice. No more. I take plenty of water. I EAT everything. I LOVE my proteins and vegetables. I do my sit-ups and push-ups cos I realized that the abs make the ladies go gaga. I maintain my body weight at 67kg. No more, no less. I observed that I fall ill often when I am over 67kg. I ALWAYS stay positive in every condition. And I pursue my dreams. No room for depression, or negative thoughts.

People with SC/SS are like everyday people. But the truth is that they have a higher mental capacity, and people tend to misunderstand them a lot. Even family members. Not a boast but, I actually have one of the highest IQ's in black Africa. Trust GOD to know how to compensate people who are lacking in one aspect. HE sure knows how to balance things out. WARRIORS have a weird sense of humuor. And they are very fluent in sarcasm. Majority of us don't like to be pitied. If you must know about our condition, empathize and don't sympathize with us. Most of the girls I dated back in my university days never knew my health condition. WE ARE NOT MARKED FOR DEATH as most people think. People that don't have SC/SS die everyday from very careless things, so why the extra pity? Like it was said in Mortal Kombat, SAVE YOUR PITY FOR THE WEAK. WARRIORS aren't weak cos in truth, the pain we go through during crisis can actually drive someone with AA/AS insane. FACT! Besides, since I stopped experiencing crisis, I became the healthiest member of my family. I don't suffer all those other minor afflictions. But, I DREAD malaria seriously cos in my case, if I can stay over 12months without malaria, then I would have no complain whatsoever.

So that's about it people.

16 Likes

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 7:10pm On Jul 20, 2013
tipsydude:

I need to hug this guy ohh! Where have you been?
I am so proud of you. It's people like you that makes me feel that my effort in enlightening the public about the Sickle Cell condition is not a waste.
I will take time and highlight your key points..
Thank you..
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 7:34pm On Jul 20, 2013
tipsydude:

Anyways, I am Bryte. I am a WARRIOR too.
I detest referring to SC/SS as a disease, cos it isn't. The most acceptable term is condition/mutation.
Living with it can be quite challenging, and it makes the victim develop some weird habits.
For instance, you would think I am either Lot's wife, or a relative, with the way am so conscious about getting caught out in the rain.

My phobia for rain was formed during the times I was caught out in the rain as a kid. The crisis I had to put up with due to the cold[/b]is something that I pray no one should ever experience.

Growing up was fun. That's how I would like to classify it. I mean there's no greater fun than staring death in the face and beating it every time. My mum once said that the only time she would panic during any of my crisis is when I no longer have a pun to drop, or don't give a sarcastic response to any question that I consider unnecessary.

In my own case,[b] I do not blame my parents for my condition
. They really had no idea about the concept of genotype when they got married.

Out of 5 of us, 2 of us are warriors, myself and my immediate junior sis. We are still intact, pursuing our various endeavors.

When it comes to meds, I think I've taken everything, except Cellod-S. But for some years now, I have been on NOTHING. I try to take my anti-malaria stuff every 6 months. Crisis is now ever so rare. I do have Diclofenac SR handy though, just for when it sneaks up on me. It helps me with severe pain. But for minor pains, I go with Panadol Extra. Truth is, I hate meds, but you can imagine how it is for one who has a condition where you should have a mobile chemist handy.
Whenever the crisis can't be controlled by the Diclofenac, I get an infusion to help dilate my veins. Once the infusion starts coursing through my veins, I begin to feel relief.

As for the severity of crisis, I think it varies from person to person.

Presently, am getting an M.Sc in Industrial/Organizational Psychology. Not working though. My immediate junior sis got an M.Sc before myself and she's working. She's actually an expert in French Language cos that's what she studied up to M.Sc level.
Our parents did everything withing their ability to preserve our lives when we were little kids. My dad was being bled like a sacrificial lamb whenever we needed blood. Sometimes he donated for both of us within 7 days. It was that bad.

After being put down by guilt when they realized their error in being ignorant about their genotype, they dedicated all their resources to knowing about SC/SS. And they believed that they would not lose myself or my sis. We adopted that faith from them. And the moment I could think for myself, I started reading every literature on the condition. Till date, I keep up with latest developments in the management of the condition.

I have come across some contradicting information from professionals about the management of the condition. But there are some consistencies too.

I NEVER over stress myself. I ALWAYS listen to my body. I DO NOT smoke or take lager beer like water. I only do on very rare occasions, and never exceed a can of star or 2 cans of smirnoff ice. No more. I take plenty of water. I EAT everything. I LOVE my proteins and vegetables.
I do my sit-ups and push-ups cos I realized that the abs make the ladies go gaga. I maintain my body weight at 67kg. No more, no less. I observed that I fall ill often when I am over 67kg. I ALWAYS stay positive in every condition. And I pursue my dreams. No room for depression, or negative thoughts.

People with SC/SS are like everyday people. But the truth is that they have a higher mental capacity, and people tend to misunderstand them a lot. Even family members. Not a boast but, I actually have one of the highest IQ's in black Africa. Trust GOD to know how to compensate people who are lacking in one aspect. HE sure knows how to balance things out. WARRIORS have a weird sense of humuor. And they are very fluent in sarcasm. Majority of us don't like to be pitied.
If you must know about our condition, empathize and don't sympathize with us. Most of the girls I dated back in my university days never knew my health condition. WE ARE NOT MARKED FOR DEATH as most people think.
People that don't have SC/SS die everyday from very careless things, so why the extra pity? Like it was said in Mortal Kombat, SAVE YOUR PITY FOR THE WEAK. WARRIORS aren't weak [/b]cos in truth, the pain we go through during crisis can actually drive someone with AA/AS insane. FACT! Besides, [b]since I stopped experiencing crisis, I became the healthiest member of my family. I don't suffer all those other minor afflictions. But, I DREAD malaria seriously cos in my case, if I can stay over 12months without malaria, then I would have no complain whatsoever.

So that's about it people.

2 Likes

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 7:38pm On Jul 20, 2013
^^^^
For Warriors and Lovers of Warriors, read what Tipsydude wrote, and pay particular attention to the highlighted parts.
Thank You Bright.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Dayjhihannon01(m): 8:33pm On Jul 20, 2013
Abali1: ^^^ at last I can name two persons who have successfully managed this disease. One is an African American (70years or more), the other is a Nigerian (60years or more).
The African American is Judy Gray Johnson; Author of Living With Sickle Cell Disease: The Struggle to Survive.
##############################
The Nigerian is my mum's friend Iheanyi Amuta; Author of Sickle Cell Disease: The Life and Testimony of a Sickler.
There are many others who are successfully managing this disease and equally pursuing their life's dreams and aspirations. So if you are a parent, sibling or relation out there or you happen to be in a relationship with a warrior brother or sister, you don't need to be afraid or give up hope on them. All you need to do is to show them love and care, and also to challenge them to attain/achieve their lives aspirations and goals.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Dayjhihannon01(m): 9:27pm On Jul 20, 2013
Dont know why ma netwrk's erasing all ma comment, hope it wrks dis time.....
And dia are still many more of us to survive......@26, no one knows me better than myself.... I told ma fiancee' I av cum here to stay till I wishes to live'....... Thanks Poster--- Never heard we are coined ''WARRIOR''.....
I prayed God give all Warriors the strenght to carry dem go.....

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Mickeywilliams(m): 10:00pm On Jul 20, 2013
Touching indeed!thanks for the enlightenment. I use this medium to say to all those living with SCD to live life to it's fullest with proper orientation and management a fulfilling life could be lived...i can only imagine the pain passed through by these warriors..hmmm am short of words.please to whom it may concern they should not be discriminated. and i look forward to using my profession(in view) to alleviating the pains of the warriors.Thank ya

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

COVID-19: Anambra Begins Fumigation Of The 63 Major Markets In The State (Photo) / What Is Stopping The White From Getting The Cure For HIV/AIDS? / Nigerian Lady Dies Following Fire Tragedy Few Days After Her Wedding. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.