Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,132 members, 7,943,083 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 04:02 AM

Say No To Child Marriage - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Say No To Child Marriage (15329 Views)

This Diwali, Avoid Crackers, Say No To Pollution / The Need To Say NO TO CULTISM / Pains Of Girl-child Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jul 20, 2013
autumn.flower:

father of the girl doesnt see any issue with giving out his daughter neither does the mother.. So why should you?

How many of these girls have se,x on a constant basis, some get pregnant and abort. Is it not better to be married and have a family legally than practice premarital sex, get pregnant and comit murder? Some even do itt over and over before they are 18.

What about the girls who don't want this... ehn!
With this Law... they have no means to fight!!!
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Kbraims(m): 6:21pm On Jul 20, 2013
I av notin mch 2 say coz i knw am in d middle of pple tinking negative,after all d early marriage is nt must deal! is on will of those who wish 2 do it,so is not of concern xtian,bt i knw wen we com 2 talk of early illegal pregnancy which is common in south east west UNA NO DEY CARRY LAST! dont u tink dat may b a solution 2 dat?
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Egbagirl(f): 6:23pm On Jul 20, 2013
shymexx:

Northerners aren't complaining and I don't think they are forcing it on all Nigerians. You need to stop being over pro-Nigeria and focus on Yoruba and things that affect you directly. There's no one-Nigeria but Yoruba is your identity.

How these people chose to lead their lives is no one's business. They can legalise in.cest for themselves and I won't give fvcks. Same for the part of naija where homos reign supreme.

It is a Nigerian constitution not a northern Nigerian constitution.

2 Likes

Re: Say No To Child Marriage by ALISMILE(m): 6:25pm On Jul 20, 2013
nneh1: guy try and wear your glasses next time when you want to read. Yarima is above 50yrs and got married to a 13yr old baby not 17 or 16.
Is the 13yrs old girl ur dauter. Or show me where either the girl or her parent complained, then we ve the rite to be angry.
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by luvmijeje(f): 6:26pm On Jul 20, 2013
ALISMILE: saviour of mankind. But can u just allow peoples culture be and stop disturbin urself. All this sentiment wont work.
We shall see!
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Archildao: 6:30pm On Jul 20, 2013
mmmustapha: Pieces of rubbish

it is so obvious you are a pedophile.we need sound education aand good moral upbringing for our daughters and not early marriage.I SAY A BIG NO!
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by luvmijeje(f): 6:31pm On Jul 20, 2013
Archildao:

it is so obvious you are a pedophile.we need sound education aand good moral upbringing for our daughters and not early marriage.I SAY A BIG NO!
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jul 20, 2013
Egba girl:
It is a Nigerian constitution not a northern Nigerian constitution.

You know I've got the utmost respect for you and will continue to do so even after this back and forth.

That said; Northern Nigeria is part of Nigeria and do I need to remind you that the North has a higher number of representative in the Senate than the South? grin So anything they want for themselves must be accepted by all Nigerians. However, in this case they aren't forcing it on other people - it's just for the North. And I don't see how this affects other Nigerians. Heck, no one in that part of the country is against it.

I'm a black in Britain and homosexuality is foreign to my African values. When gay marriage was legalised a few weeks ago, it was just another days for me as a Briton because I know it doesn't affect me in any way, shape, or form. And I also know homosexuality is part of the European culture and there's nothing I can do about it than to respect the culture of the people.
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 20, 2013
Damn!! If Southern Nigerians don't overturn this bill - I'll lose the little respect I've for y'all. grin grin

Northerners are gangstas - enjoy your servitude, southern people of Nigeria! cool
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Archildao: 6:35pm On Jul 20, 2013
ALISMILE: Is the 13yrs old girl ur dauter. Or show me where either the girl or her parent complained, then we ve the rite to be angry.

it is so obvious that your sense of reasoning has been clouded by religious sentiment.Is it wrong for the north to produce female professionals?is it early marriage you shouldd be advocating instead of education?
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by ALISMILE(m): 6:35pm On Jul 20, 2013
I.Joan:
http://www.change.org/petitions/united-nations-stop-the-nigerian-senate-from-making-under-age-marriage-the-law

Sign this petition!

Those girls deserve a better life!!!

They did not choose to be born into that culture/religion....

So drop the culture/religion balderdash!!!
What a useless petition it is. Let us mind our own business. I wont allow our southern bro n sis cause a religious prob here. Its a useless petition.
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jul 20, 2013
ALISMILE: What a useless petition it is. Let us mind our own business. I wont allow our southern bro n sis cause a religious prob here. Its a useless petition.

As long as you are a Nigerian this is every inch your business!!! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by toluene12: 7:01pm On Jul 20, 2013
This is not about northern culture or belief. This is about a socioeconomic issue that is at the core of underdevelopment and stagnant growth in the north. It is about putting a stop to a gruop of elite playing god with the future of innocent children. It's about breaking the bond of poverty that has held the northen lower class for ages. It's about empowering the average northerner to become someone significant in life.
The children of these poor girls' are the almajiris. They are the foot soldiers for boko haram. They are the suicide bombers. They are mobs that loot and kill during crisis. They are the tool of destruction in the hand of those northern politician.
Girl child education is key to winning the war on poverty. A woman will go the extreme to sacrifice for her children. If she knows the value of education, she will ensure her children receives quality education. Train a girl child and u have nation, educate a girl child and u'll raise a proud generation. Unfortunately, early marriage deprive her of this opportunity.
Lack of education is a one way ticket to ignorance, disease and poverty- the bane of northern underdevelopment.
We cannot sit down and pretend we are not bothered. The rest of nigeria has paid dearly for northern underdevelopment. Govt keeps pouring billions into that region and what do we get in return? Today its boko haram, tmrw it may be yoruba or igbo haram.
We need to pressurise our leaders to sign the child right bill into law and ensure all 36 state governors implement it fully in their respective states. Girl child education should be non negotiable, also a teenager should have no business with the labour room, she should be in classroom. The age of marriage should be made clear as 18 and enforced. Violators should be punished.
Let's ignore detractors, and other armed chair critics. They said we were wasting our time during the fuel subsidy protest, they discouraged us during the anti boko haram amnesty protest. They said our protest can get nothing done. Today, in maidiguri civilian jtf work alongside our soldiers to defeat boko haram.
The truth is our govt is listening, if we shout loud enough they cringe. You will be surprised the number of northerners who are against this 'early child marriage', only that they are afraid to speak out because they are helpless. A little outside push will galvanise them to action and crush this evil menace. The civilian JTF is a proof to this.

6 Likes

Re: Say No To Child Marriage by lovelydoll: 7:21pm On Jul 20, 2013
This is very disgusting.They enjoy stealing the child hood of children.Children are not adults to be taking adult responsibilities.Nigeria is disgraceful of even thinking of this ,human rights will be sure to come after you.Also God will take care of whoever thought of this. Nigeria will forever be cursed if we keep on thinking like this

1 Like

Re: Say No To Child Marriage by luvmijeje(f): 7:45pm On Jul 20, 2013
@Toluene12 God bless you. I couldn't have said it better. This is not a northern problem. This is an humanitarian issue that should afffect every1 that has blood flowing in their vein.
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by AyeeIdris(f): 8:07pm On Jul 20, 2013
Sometimes NairaLand makes me just shake my head. People make it sound as if the North is trying to legalize Child Marriage. it is ALREADY in the constitution. It is a bad law, but why are we not outraged that it is there in the first place? Where was this outcry when it was made part of the Law? This is NOT a Muslim thing or a Christian thing. Even in civilized countries, underage people marry WITH the consent of their parents. Ever seen the show Teen Mom? The fathers of those kids are not arrested. Underage marriage is a complicated issue. I think the major problem is knowing where to draw the line. Personally, I think If a 16 year old or 17 year old gets pregnant and the parents want them to get married, then they should be allowed to. I am of the mind that 'of age' should still remain 18, but if anyone who is 16 or 17 'wishes' to get married, it MUST be with the consent of BOTH parents. Anything lower than that should come with life imprisonment and castration.

Yes 16 and 17, even 18 is pretty young to be married by our standard today, but it happens even in the US or the UK till date. Not a popular practice but it still beats 16 and pregnant

IMO
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jul 20, 2013
I.Joan:

As long as you are a Nigerian this is every inch your business!!! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
i love the way you answered him jare
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by tbaba1234: 8:54pm On Jul 20, 2013
What is the noise about? In New York, the legal marriage age is 14. It is 13 in some other states. That is in the US.

Maturity is a very subjective thing and changes with the generations and cultures. In the late 1800s, the legal marriage age in the UK was 7 years, that is just over a hundred years ago.

The Question is what is maturity? There is no one answer to that Question...

1 Like

Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Tolzeal(m): 9:53pm On Jul 20, 2013
Donmichaelz: How to stop child Abuse?simple
How to stop cobwebs?kill the spider
There in orther to stop child abuse kill Islam,cos dats d spider of Child abuse.......am a BHUDIST if u want to insult me send it to BHUDA

Stop been an imense thinker!! Stop crtisizn the religion and let's look forward to deal wif the useless leaders we've got
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by obi123: 10:21pm On Jul 20, 2013
autumn.flower:
Why are you guys taking panadol for other people headache??

Why is NL poisoning the mind of people, indirectly?? Abi its all part of traffic?

People die everyday of hunger, theres corruption to the worst level, no electricity, very bad roads, health care is terrible.. This are things that affect the common man daily but we dont care to fight that, its something that does not concern you and have no effect on your lives that your killing yourselves over.

very well said....... NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Clemzy16(m): 10:34pm On Jul 20, 2013
RIP NIGERIA sad
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by abbeyfel: 2:09am On Jul 21, 2013
[/color][color=#990000]This is the time to do something great for our future generations. We all must make our voices heard now OR our grandchildren and beyond may curse us for being such idiots who allowed a law that supports a girl child being giving out in marriage to an old fool. Speak against #CHILD MARRIAGE in NIGERIA TODAY....
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by legendsilver(m): 9:41am On Jul 21, 2013
autumn.flower:

Why is NL poisoning the mind of people, indirectly?? Abi its all part of traffic?

People die everyday of hunger, theres corruption to the worst level, no electricity, very bad roads, health care is terrible.. This are things that affect the common man daily but we dont care to fight that, its something that does not concern you and have no effect on your lives that your killing yourselves over.
I pray u fall victim of child molestation, then will u knw if its more serious than all of the social amenities you mentioned undecided
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Plutonium(m): 12:00pm On Jul 21, 2013
BabaAlabi: Okkkk

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by youngice(m): 12:45pm On Jul 21, 2013
Rooneyboy: Education she needs,not teenage pregnancy, not forced marriage, not prolonged labour, not VVF,

She's a child , not a bride.....

Give her a pen, not a pen!s , books not boobs,school fees not bride price
grin
Rooneyboy: Education she needs,not teenage pregnancy, not forced marriage, not prolonged labour, not VVF,

She's a child , not a bride.....

Give her a pen, not a pen!s
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Akeud(m): 2:53pm On Jul 21, 2013
autumn.flower:

If u were in those gal's shoe, what would u say? Just because u are a southerner, dats y u dnt hav feelings. I guess u are related to Yerima. Rubbish!
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by olowop: 3:11pm On Jul 21, 2013
wot a pity no wonder dat our senator dey pass nonsense law once dey dont know wot are the rule, the law said a woman of full age not a girl let all our senator go back and study the law of dis country I SAY BIG NO TO CHILD BRIDE
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Skmoda360(m): 6:02pm On Jul 21, 2013
canalily: Woe to you all who supports this illicit act. This is dehumanization, nd remember that each widow in any society is an evry woman!
Seconded
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by CodeHouse: 9:08pm On Jul 21, 2013
Arise O' come patriots
Nigerian's call obey...

Finally, Nigeria jaga jaga
Re: Say No To Child Marriage by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 22, 2013
i say no,how i wish dis senators will allow their conscience[quote][/quote] speak to them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Other Side Written By Onyeneke Abel / The Gift Of A Good Man / A BEAUTIFUL FOE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.