Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,318 members, 7,964,362 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 12:28 PM

See Pen That Checks For Wrong Spellings - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / See Pen That Checks For Wrong Spellings (1309 Views)

Fans Blast Kiki Osinbajo For Wrong English (photos) / Photos: D'banj Checks Out Beverly Osu's Butt On Stage / Wizkid Vs Tonto Dike: "Brush Up Your Spellings" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See Pen That Checks For Wrong Spellings by RabboniX(m): 5:18pm On Jul 20, 2013
(CNN) -- Wher woud some of us bea withoot spell check?

The sometimes annoying, but frankly indispensable computer aid has spared billions of typographical blushes.

Now, an ingenious prototype pen developed by a German start-up is promising to give our longhand writing a similar sort of safety net.
Lernstift (German for "learning pen"wink is a digital pen with a difference, carrying not only ink inside its casing but also a tiny computer that alerts users to spelling errors.

Daniel Kaesmacher, co-founder of Lernstift told CNN: "Basically there are two functions. The calligraphy mode which helps you correct individual letters, and the orthography mode which vibrates when a word is misspelled."

The AAA battery-powered Linux computer includes a vibration module and a patent pending non-optical motion sensor which recognizes specific movements and shapes of letters and words.

The pen employs a menagerie of sensors, including a gyroscope (for measuring orientation), accelerometer (for calculating propulsion) and magnetometer (a device that measures the strength and direction of magnetic fields) -- all to calculate the pen's 3-D movements.
Interactive: The future of 3D printing

Lernstift recognizes all writing movements, the company says, written on paper or in the air and built-in Wi-Fi allows scribblers to connect with smartphones, computers or other pens in a network.

The pen was invented by software developer and Lernstift founder Falk Wolsky after seeing his wife's frustrations at watching their son struggle with his homework. Why can't pens give instant feedback on mistakes? she asked.

His imagination fired, Wolsky set about constructing a prototype before assembling a team of hardware and software experts late last year.
"We are at the stage where the individual components do their job. We haven't put it together yet, but the response to the idea though has been overwhelming," Kaesmacher said.

The pen has been designed primarily as an educational tool and the Munich-based company are hopeful that dyslexic children will find the new pen particularly useful.
Greg Brooks, Professor Emeritus of Education at the UK's University of Sheffield gave the pen a cautious welcome.
"It's a neat idea in principle, but as ever the proof will be in the using of it," Brooks said via email.
"Will it learn individuals' quirks of handwriting, or insist on one style? I can see how it might be programmed to spot obvious spelling errors (non-words), just as the spellcheckers in word processors do -- but none of those can yet cope with real-word errors."

A Kickstarter campaign recently got underway looking to raise £120,000 ($180,000) and tests in schools will begin later this year.

The first pens will initially recognize only English and German spellings, but other languages will follow, says Kaesmacher.
"Learning your native language is one thing, but it's also the perfect tool to adapt for foreign language students," he says.
"From a cultural point of view, the pen is a wonderful bridge between cursive and technological worlds."

Eventually, the company plan to offer pencil, fountain and ballpoint pen options with a launch price between €120-150 ($160-200) falling to under €50 ($60) depending on how fast the company grow.

screen shot on pc shocked shocked
http://blogsinbrief..com/2013/07/lernstift-pen-that-checks-for-wrong.html
Re: See Pen That Checks For Wrong Spellings by delighty(f): 10:08pm On Jul 21, 2013
This is good cos the rate at which words are mispelt these days is alarming
Re: See Pen That Checks For Wrong Spellings by tpia5: 10:59pm On Jul 21, 2013
good idea.
Re: See Pen That Checks For Wrong Spellings by tellwisdom: 2:44am On Jul 22, 2013
I will try and get one so i can be getting Garri from it sad
Re: See Pen That Checks For Wrong Spellings by slysinzu(m): 4:54am On Jul 22, 2013
I dnt tink dis pen is useful in Nigeria,what if I wanna ryt sumtin like fufu,moi-moi,tuwo chinkafa,ogbono,iru,orunla, or when a lectural is dictating in the lecture rooms..it nt dat useful jor,well I guess it can b useful during exam period
Re: See Pen That Checks For Wrong Spellings by Brimmie(m): 6:21am On Jul 22, 2013
[size=20]Yuzedo And His Household Needs One[/size]
Re: See Pen That Checks For Wrong Spellings by yuzedo: 7:02am On Jul 22, 2013
Brimmie: [size=20]Yuzedo And His Household Needs One[/size]
just one? No, I needed ten tousand copys... Anoufia!! angry angry sad

2 Likes

Re: See Pen That Checks For Wrong Spellings by AbuMikey(m): 8:23am On Jul 22, 2013
[size=20pt]You so damn wrong!!!![/size]
Re: See Pen That Checks For Wrong Spellings by AbuMikey(m): 8:24am On Jul 22, 2013
Na dem know!!!
Me nor dey buy ooo! tongue
Re: See Pen That Checks For Wrong Spellings by AbuMikey(m): 8:25am On Jul 22, 2013
Re: See Pen That Checks For Wrong Spellings by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 22, 2013
is you trying to insort my farmilee...brother Yuzedo af this guy com to our manshun before..don b letting him to talk nonscense..
Re: See Pen That Checks For Wrong Spellings by nickz(m): 9:53am On Jul 22, 2013
yuzedo:
just one? No, I needed ten tousand copys... Anoufia!! angry angry sad
mr. Sweetus ƇΛИ you order one for ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥? grin grin #ESELU NA ENYE EGO

(1) (Reply)

Maheeda Has Been Banned From Instagram For Posting Explicit Pictures.. / Pictures From Toolz's Boo (capt. Tunde Demuren) Birthday Celebration Yesterday / Fashola Appoints Funke Akindele, 2face, Don Jazzy As Ambassadors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.