Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,534 members, 7,921,021 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 04:21 PM

Is praying to the dead biblical? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is praying to the dead biblical? (1699 Views)

Why Do People Still Die Prematurely After Praying To God Against Untimely Death / You Are Praying To Demons By Calling Michael And Gabriel In Your Prayers / He Is Praying 4 Dis Woman With His Hand In His Breast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is praying to the dead biblical? by donkarly(m): 8:44am On Jul 21, 2013
i saw this in a friend's car,and i was like..'what d hell'!calling on a dead person to pray for u?d Bible says there's only one advocate with d father,Jesus Christ d righteous.do they read d bible at all?i pray God opens their eyes to know the truth and be delivered from such demonic doctrine..

1 Like

Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by hynex79(m): 9:43am On Jul 21, 2013
donkarly: i saw this in a friend's car,and i was like..'what d hell'.calling on a dead person to pray for u?do they read d bible at all?i pray God opens their eyes to know the truth and be delivered from such demonic doctrine..
Its really 'crazy',unxtian,unbiblical and idolatrous.may God deliver them..amen!

2 Likes

Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by AbuMikey(m): 9:51am On Jul 21, 2013
Catholics
Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by Nobody: 9:54am On Jul 21, 2013
But you can pray to dead Jesus? U see una lyf....

3 Likes

Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by 2goodbobo(m): 10:01am On Jul 21, 2013
musKeeto: But you can pray to dead Jesus? U see una lyf....

Jesus rose from the dead after three days. So in actual sense he did not die but the Man on the subject matter died and did not wake up. Therefore, he is just humane and does not have the capabilities to intercede for the living.

1 Like

Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by Nobody: 10:05am On Jul 21, 2013
Yes I can imagine!!!

And what precisely is wrong with it?
Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by MrTroll(m): 11:01am On Jul 21, 2013
striktlymi: Yes I can imagine!!!

er... I thought being dead means you are practically non-existent? Can't speak, can't move, can't hear etc or is there another definition for dead

1 Like

Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by Nobody: 11:16am On Jul 21, 2013
Mr Troll: er... I thought being dead means you are practically non-existent? Can't speak, can't move, can't hear etc or is there another definition for dead

I don't think the thread owner is an Atheist, hence his belief in the life after and if he happens to be a Christian he should know that God is a God of the living and not the dead...

Our bodies sleep on but our spirit lives on in Christ, so again I ask him what exactly is wrong with it?

1 Like

Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by MrTroll(m): 12:19pm On Jul 21, 2013
striktlymi:

I don't think the thread owner is an Atheist, hence his belief in the life after and if he happens to be a Christian he should know that God is a God of the living and not the dead...

Our bodies sleep on but our spirit lives on in Christ, so again I ask him what exactly is wrong with it?
er... Striky define 'Dead'.
Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 21, 2013
Mr Troll: er... Striky define 'Dead'.

Lol!!!

My definition of death is largely theological...

Simply put: Death occurs at that point when the spirit detatches from the body.
Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by MrTroll(m): 9:27am On Jul 22, 2013
striktlymi:

Lol!!!

My definition of death is largely theological...

Simply put: Death occurs at that point when the spirit detatches from the body.
Ok. We are done here then.

Edit: on second thoughts, here is a biblical definition for 'dead'...

Ecclesiastes 9:5-6
5 For the living know that they will die; But the dead know nothing, And they have no more reward, For the memory of them is forgotten. 6 Also their love, their hatred, and their envy have now perished; Nevermore will they have a share In anything done under the sun.
take a good look at verse 6...

1 Like

Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 22, 2013
Mr Troll: Ok. We are done here then.

Edit: on second thoughts, here is a biblical definition for 'dead'...

Ecclesiastes 9:5-6 take a good look at verse 6...

Hello Troll,

Not quite!

What you quoted does not negate what I have said...it only reinforces it. When one's spirit departs from the body, it would be impractical for the individual to do those things Solomon mentioned.

Solomon was actually talking about the physical death which everyone is expected to undergo but after this death comes judgment...as Solomon maintains that everyone will give an account of all the good and evil deeds done while in the flesh:

Ecclesiastes 12:14
New International Version (NIV)

14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.

In other words, death occurs when the spirit departs the body to give an account of all the right or/and wrong it did while in the body.
Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by MrTroll(m): 11:02am On Jul 22, 2013
striktlymi:

Hello Troll,

Not quite!
really? undecided

What you quoted does not negate what I have said...it only reinforces it. When one's spirit departs from the body, it would be impractical for the individual to do those things Solomon mentioned.
so what does this say about the dead Father Tansi?

Solomon was actually talking about the physical death which everyone is expected to undergo but after this death comes judgment...as Solomon maintains that everyone will give an account of all the good and evil deeds done while in the flesh:

Ecclesiastes 12:14
New International Version (NIV)

14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.
Is Tansi physically dead or not?
Now the bible says after death comes judgement but it doesn't say immediately, does it? Because if it does there'll be no need for the ressurection. In fact some christians argue that what is meant is that the dead are in fact sleeping and unaware of anything until the ressurection in which the judgement will now occur. That still makes sense and fall under 'after death=judgement'

In other words, death occurs when the spirit departs the body to give an account of all the right or/and wrong it did while in the body.
any bible quote to support this definition?

Note: I used the NKJV in my first bible quote. Can we stick with that? Thanks...

1 Like

Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jul 22, 2013
Mr Troll: really? undecided

so what does this say about the dead Father Tansi?

A lot...that his spirit has undergone God's judgment and has been found worthy, hence his ability to intercede on our behalf because now he is with God in heaven.

Mr Troll:
Is Tansi physically dead or not?

He is physically dead.

Mr Troll:
Now the bible says after death comes judgement but it doesn't say immediately, does it?

Lol!!!

No it doesn't! But this too does not mean that there is no immediate judgment after death. I will explain my thoughts on this below, after the next quote.

Mr Troll:
Because if it does there'll be no need for the ressurection.

Not quite! See explanation below!

Mr Troll:
In fact some christians argue that what is meant is that the dead are in fact sleeping and unaware of anything until the ressurection in which the judgement will now occur. That still makes sense and fall under 'after death=judgement'

Those same Christians would tell you that people interpret Sacred scriptures wrongly while they proffer their own interpretations...which also could be wrong. So I don't take what some of them say seriously...

Now, I believe that every man will be subject to two different judgments. The personal judgment which is done after death and the collective judgment which is done on the last day.

The personal judgment, for the most part, is experienced by the spirit while the collective judgment is experienced by both spirit and body i.e for humans.

Now, I will use some passages of Sacred scriptures to explain the 'bases' of these beliefs of mine:

2 Peter 2:4
New King James Version (NKJV)

4 For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment;

Jude 1:6

6 And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day;

The above passages relate to some Angels who revolted against God and were duly punished for the sins they committed. Note that in both passages, despite the immediate judgment passed on them for the wrong they did, they still await the final judgment which will occur at the end of time.

Hence, they have been judged first time already, which necessitated their being put in chains but there still will be a second judgment which will be kind of like the grand finale, so to speak.

The difference here is that unlike the second judgment for man, they will not have to be re-united with a body because they are spirits already.

Further:

Luke 23:43

43 And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”

Acts 17:31

31 because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead.”

The first passage above talks about the promise Christ made to the dying repentant thief on the cross. His promise was that the thief will be with him in paradise that very day.

This promise is not talking about the last judgment but the first judgment which occurs immediately after death. The thief was fully repentant and was found worthy of God's kingdom, hence his reward.

To this day, the thief's body lays buried here on Earth but the spirit is with Jesus in his kingdom. At the time of the resurrection, the spirit will re-unite with the body and the final judgment will take place.

Mr Troll:
any bible quote to support this definition?

Luke 23:46

46 And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, “Father, ‘into Your hands I commit My spirit.’” Having said this, He breathed His last.

Mr Troll:
Note: I used the NKJV in my first bible quote. Can we stick with that? Thanks...

No P!
Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by PastorOluT(m): 4:59pm On Jul 22, 2013
musKeeto: But you can pray to dead Jesus? U see una lyf....

Very funny, so Jesus is dead huh. HE IS ALIVE AND REIGNING FOREVER AND EVER.

1 Like

Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by PastorOluT(m): 5:00pm On Jul 22, 2013

Birds of a feather
Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jul 22, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

Birds of a feather

And this is supposed to mean? undecided
Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by frank317: 10:51pm On Jul 22, 2013
donkarly: i saw this in a friend's car,and i was like..'what d hell'!calling on a dead person to pray for u?d Bible says there's only one advocate with d father,Jesus Christ d righteous.do they read d bible at all?i pray God opens their eyes to know the truth and be delivered from such demonic doctrine..

My brother, u are no different from the catholics u criticise when u stick to ur own belief system. I see it as pot calling pot black.

Ur belief cannot be right when u think others' beliefs are wrong because others still think the same way about ur belief.

U guys cannot continue mocking God and making him look like a God of confusion with ur constant arguments and criticism of other people's beliefs.

Like someone said... Everything is in the brain, what u belief is what u feel is right but not what is really right because nothing is really right or wrong but thinking makes it so.

As we have different socialization process, different biological make up(inherit different traits), we will have different perception to things and events. This differences will determine what u will believe.

But wait... Do you guys ever think and ask ur self.. Doesn't God know this? Doesn't he know we perceive things differently? If he doesn't then he has no business being God.
Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by Vansnickers: 11:28pm On Jul 22, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

Very funny, so Jesus is dead huh. HE IS ALIVE AND REIGNING FOREVER AND EVER.

Says who?
Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by PastorOluT(m): 11:08am On Jul 23, 2013
striktlymi:

And this is supposed to mean? undecided

Meaning praying to the dead to help u is idolatry!

1 Like

Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by PastorOluT(m): 11:10am On Jul 23, 2013
Van snickers:

Says who?

Says God and confirmed in the bible

1 Like

Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 23, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

Meaning praying to the dead to help u is idolatry!

Hi Pastor T,

Kindly show us where in sacred scriptures the bold was said.
Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by donkarly(m): 2:47pm On Jan 05, 2014

Everything is wrong with it bros.d bible says we should only pray through Jesus Christ, for 'there's no other name given among men whereby they shall be saved'.it is pure ignorance which leads to destruction. .

1 Like

Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by PastorOluT(m): 3:00pm On Jan 05, 2014
striktlymi:

Hi Pastor T,

Kindly show us where in sacred scriptures the bold was said.

Hi bro, i did not see this all this while n thus did not reply. However if u seek scriptures they abound, God says we should not consult the dead in the old Testament bt cant be precise now. Also when u go through the NT, these practices are all alien, for NT believers only go through Jesus as the bible says He/HolySpirit is/are our great intercessors Romans 8:26-27&34, Hebrews 7:25.
Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jan 05, 2014
Pastor Olu T:

Hi bro, i did not see this all this while n thus did not reply. However if u seek scriptures they abound, God says we should not consult the dead in the old Testament bt cant be precise now. Also when u go through the NT, these practices are all alien, for NT believers only go through Jesus as the bible says He/HolySpirit is/are our great intercessors Romans 8:26-27&34, Hebrews 7:25.

The bold is spot on!

I was kinda hoping you will show us where asking the intercession of the dead is likened to idolatry.
Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by PastorOluT(m): 4:24pm On Jan 05, 2014
striktlymi:

The bold is spot on!

I was kinda hoping you will show us where asking the intercession of the dead is likened to idolatry.

What else do u require bro, the bible is explicit about those that intercede for us in the NT, so we cant just decide to do whatever. Bt from the Old Testament it was said we shouldn't pray to the dead in the laws, though cant remember exactly where bt when I look through the scriptures I will be back to post.
Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by macof(m): 4:31pm On Jan 05, 2014
2goodbobo:

Jesus rose from the dead after three days. So in actual sense he did not die but the Man on the subject matter died and did not wake up. Therefore, he is just humane and does not have the capabilities to intercede for the living.

If I tell you my Great grand father arose from the dead and ascended into heaven would you believe?
Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by macof(m): 4:44pm On Jan 05, 2014
What is death? It is simply a gateway. A measure for converting from one form to another

your soul- that powers your body and makes you a breathing entity passes through the gateway of death into the spiritual realm. The soul is now Pure Energy and still very much conscious more conscious than it was in human body and can always be manipulated by Humans
Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by MrAladin: 6:10pm On Jan 05, 2014
Abu Mikey: Catholics

STFU
E-diot.
Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by woky: 6:14pm On Jan 05, 2014
If am not mistaken, that should be Blessed Iwene Tansi

Blessed Tansi, pray for us
Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by woky: 6:27pm On Jan 05, 2014
Mr. Aladin:

STFU
E-diot.
never tear singlet yet grin

1 Like

Re: Is praying to the dead biblical? by woky: 6:27pm On Jan 05, 2014
macof:

If I tell you my Great grand father arose from the dead and ascended into heaven would you believe?
Who is your great grand father?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Pastors Children 'bad' / Funny Church Names. / My Father Plan To Curse Me On My Wedding Day, What Can I Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.