Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,067 members, 7,931,670 topics. Date: Monday, 26 August 2024 at 10:34 AM

Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True (20648 Views)

How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? / Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? / Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by kormene: 10:12am On Jul 28, 2013
Nice discussion here, just got a direct TKB crv 02 with a mileage of 80k from4m a dealer @1.55k and something tells me it was doctord.

Honestly i didn't care about d mileage which goes to confirm d gist. I was excited in getting my 1st car and was thrilled by d fact that it looked good and was in SUV class.
How dum of me, I think it has to do with our orientation.

The Odometer form thing should b enforced in Nigeria else we will become a dumping ground where we don't get value for our money.

Plz how do i get d exact mileage? Jhlrd78862c043986

Do I change all fluids (ATF, break, gear etc) before use
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by BB013(m): 10:12am On Jul 28, 2013
Wait oh! Is it that cars with high mileage aint good or something. . Cos I know of a particular car that has almost if 1, 000, 000 as mileage nd the car works perfectly fine nd still still as good as new..
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by calculusx(m): 12:49pm On Jul 28, 2013
kormene: Nice discussion here, just got a direct TKB crv 02 with a mileage of 80k from4m a dealer @1.55k and something tells me it was doctord.

Honestly i didn't care about d mileage which goes to confirm d gist. I was excited in getting my 1st car and was thrilled by d fact that it looked good and was in SUV class.

The Odometer form thing should b enforced in Nigeria else we will become a dumping ground where we don't get value for our money.

A Clear Case of odometer rollback. Truth be told,if the dealer didn't rolled back the mileage,i'm sure you won't buy the ride. We are in a society where an average Nigerian don't believe in the Truth. So in this Case,who should be blame?

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by calculusx(m): 12:56pm On Jul 28, 2013
kormene: Nice discussion here, just got a direct TKB crv 02 with a mileage of 80k from4m a dealer @1.55k and something tells me it was doctord.

Not too worry your SuV is a Clean Title. Just do necessary change of oil and some parts. You are good to go

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by BizBooks(m): 1:23pm On Jul 28, 2013
calculusx:

A Clear Case of odometer rollback. Truth be told,if the dealer didnt reverse the mileage,im sure you wont buy the ride. We are in a society where an average Nigerian don't believe in the Truth. So in this Case,who should be blamed?

In this case, I think the buyer shares a greater portion of the blame. He said he suspected
the odometer was "doctored" and still went ahead and bought the car. So a car that he
thought had only 84,000 miles actually has 187,000 according to the VIN report. If you look
closely, you will notice that the odometer was rolled back to what it used to be in 2006 and
we are in 2013.

As you correctly noted, if the car had shown it's true mileage, the poster may not have
bought it. Unfortunately some people do not want to know the truth and are thus presented
with falsehood.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by kormene: 2:46pm On Jul 28, 2013
Wooooo, people need to b orientated about this Odometer stuff it's a clear case of fraud.

So what's d way forward? Or are we just going to complain and trade blames and counter blames on each other?

I think d Odometer form stuff should b made compulsory just like d certificate of ownership.

[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by kormene: 2:59pm On Jul 28, 2013
I want to ask, does the mileage really mater as the driving condition and maintenance abroad keeps d car fit as if it were new.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by JaaizTech: 4:57pm On Jul 28, 2013
calculusx:

[size=18pt]To the best of my knowledge, mileage is just a number and the reason is simply because a low mileage Car, if not properly maintained and serviced regularly will not perform better when compared to a high mileage Car that is properly and regularly maintained.
I have bought and Sold high mileage Cars in the past and I can tell you majority of the high mileage Cars perform better that you may doubt the authenticity of the high miles when compared to how neat some of them are. There is a Popular Car Auction in US that high mileage Cars are sold at higher prices. I have no problem with high mileage Cars so far they are not rolled back so as to know which part to rotate, grease or change at a certain miles. My Opinion
[/size]

https://www.nairaland.com/1118629/automobile-maintenance-menu
I am beginning to reason this way too. I bought an over 200k miles unknowingly, when I discovered, I was almost worried sick, I kept thinking the transmission could park up anytime, I kept looking for faults in the car, I never really found any, except the normal wear and tear e.g brake pads, serpentine belt, air filter etc.
I think the advice should be if you are buying an over 200k.miles car, understand that perhaps the car is at half life already, for example a 2003 car with 200k on it , may be at half-life already , which means you could also still get another good 8 years out of it, if you use the best available parts for repairs and servicing.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by elektra80: 4:59pm On Jul 28, 2013
BizBooks:

In this case, I think the buyer shares a greater portion of the blame. He said he suspected
the odometer was "doctored" and still went ahead and bought the car. So a car that he
thought had only 84,000 miles actually has 187,000 according to the VIN report. If you look
closely, you will notice that the odometer was rolled back to what it used to be in 2006 and
we are in 2013.

As you correctly noted, if the car had shown it's true mileage, the poster may not have
bought it. Unfortunately some people do not want to know the truth and are thus presented
with falsehood.

Lets say a buyer goes to Mr A (a car dealer) to buy the same crv and Mr A being honest has 2 of the same SUV he wants, one with odometer reading of 187,000 and another one with odometer reading of 85,000, both cars are clean titles. (Note that both cars are 11 years old). Mr A says the price of the higher mileage car is 1.45 million and the one with 85k mileage is 1.6 million. The buyer leaves the shop and tries another dealer. He goes to Mr B another car dealer and Mr B doesn't have the kind of car he needs. Mr B being a businessman would not tell the buyer he doesn't have the car, he will tell him he should sit down while he goes to bring the car from his other showroom. Then Mr B calls Mr A (most dealers know themselves ) and Mr A says he has the car but the buyer wouldn't want to pay more for the low mileage and doesn't want the high mileage either.

SO Mr B goes to Mr A, picks the car with 187,000 mileage and rolls back the odometer to 82,000. Then brings it to his showroom and shows the buyer. After much negotiation they agree on a price of 1.55 million. The buyer pays and drives away. Mr B pays mr A 1.5 million and takes 50k as his commission. Now who are u going to blame in this situation?

If u ask an average Nigerian 'what is the price of a 1999 toyota camry (Pencil light)'. He will say 900k. Most buyers don't even know the difference between LE, XLE, SE, LX, EX, EX-L. To them all trims are the same. I see a lot of 1999 camry in showrooms with mileage less than 90k. I mean 90k for a 14 year old car, that is almost impossible. Might be possible but would be rare and it will never sell for 900k. But then that is what buyers want and as a businessman u have to give them what they want, hence rollback odometer.

The car dealership in this country is messed up and right now only the dishonest dealers are making money while the honest ones are not making any sales. Nobody wants to be in a business where he doesn't make sales.. let's face the fact. A honest dealer spends lots of money to bring a clean title car with low mileage into the country and puts a reasonable price on it, and other dishonest ones have the same car that are not clean title and odometer rolled back and sells it for a cheaper price. How many buyers have access to the internet? I can tell u that 80% of buyers out there doesn't know anything about carfax, they just want to buy a car and drive, and they go for the cheapest deals. SO I will not blame the dealers. Until the country enforces laws dealing with odometer rollbacks and give enough awareness to end buyers.. I'm pretty sure that is not gonna happen anytime soon. The government have more important things to tackle first. Then this issue will continue for a long long time.

My advice is after buying ur ride, check all parts and replace the ones that needs to be replaced with genuine parts, service ur car regularly and whenever a fault arises, fix it before it affects other things. IF U CAN'T DO THAT, THE BEST ALTERNATIVE IS TO BUY A BRAND NEW CAR grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by JaaizTech: 4:59pm On Jul 28, 2013
calculusx:

[size=18pt]To the best of my knowledge, mileage is just a number and the reason is simply because a low mileage Car, if not properly maintained and serviced regularly will not perform better when compared to a high mileage Car that is properly and regularly maintained.
I have bought and Sold high mileage Cars in the past and I can tell you majority of the high mileage Cars perform better that you may doubt the authenticity of the high miles when compared to how neat some of them are. There is a Popular Car Auction in US that high mileage Cars are sold at higher prices. I have no problem with high mileage Cars so far they are not rolled back so as to know which part to rotate, grease or change at a certain miles. My Opinion
[/size]

https://www.nairaland.com/1118629/automobile-maintenance-menu
I am beginning to reason this way too. I bought an over 200k miles unknowingly, when I discovered, I was almost worried sick, I kept thinking the transmission could park up anytime, I kept looking for faults in the car, I never really found any, except the normal wear and tear e.g brake pads, serpentine belt, air filter etc.
I think the advice should be if you are buying an over 200k.miles car, understand that perhaps the car is at half life already, for example a 2003 car with 200k on it , may be at half-life already , which means you could also still get another good 8 years out of it, if you use the best available parts for repairs and servicing.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by JaaizTech: 5:20pm On Jul 28, 2013
kormene: I want to ask, does the mileage really mater as the driving condition and maintenance abroad keeps d car fit as if it were new.
Mileage matters but not as much as the actual condition of the car and previous maintenance practices. This is what I mean take a 2003 Honda Accord with 100k on it, but the car happened to be use by an irresponsible American dude chances are that the owner never serviced the car as at when due, chances are that He never even checked the transmission oil etc, now compare this situation to a 2003 car with 200k miles on it but owned by a company chances are that the car was serviced as at when due by honda dealers, chances are that faulty parts were replaced with OEM parts, I have no doubt in my mind that the 200k mileage would be the better of the two.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Fhemmmy: 12:38am On Jul 29, 2013
I think the biggest misconception that people had is "Since the ride is being imported, it ought to be way cheaper than what is being sold in Nigeria" while in some cases, it could be - sometimes it is not, it could mean getting something reliable ride. . . . I hope there is a way to actually educate the buyers as per costs involved in buying a ride, shipping and the rest.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by kormene: 9:17am On Jul 29, 2013
elektra80:

Lets say a buyer goes to Mr A (a car dealer) to buy the same crv and Mr A being honest has 2 of the same SUV he wants, one with odometer reading of 187,000 and another one with odometer reading of 85,000, both cars are clean titles. (Note that both cars are 11 years old). Mr A says the price of the higher mileage car is 1.45 million and the one with 85k mileage is 1.6 million. The buyer leaves the shop and tries another dealer. He goes to Mr B another car dealer and Mr B doesn't have the kind of car he needs. Mr B being a businessman would not tell the buyer he doesn't have the car, he will tell him he should sit down while he goes to bring the car from his other showroom. Then Mr B calls Mr A (most dealers know themselves ) and Mr A says he has the car but the buyer wouldn't want to pay more for the low mileage and doesn't want the high mileage either.

SO Mr B goes to Mr A, picks the car with 187,000 mileage and rolls back the odometer to 82,000. Then brings it to his showroom and shows the buyer. After much negotiation they agree on a price of 1.55 million. The buyer pays and drives away. Mr B pays mr A 1.5 million and takes 50k as his commission. Now who are u going to blame in this situation?

If u ask an average Nigerian 'what is the price of a 1999 toyota camry (Pencil light)'. He will say 900k. Most buyers don't even know the difference between LE, XLE, SE, LX, EX, EX-L. To them all trims are the same. I see a lot of 1999 camry in showrooms with mileage less than 90k. I mean 90k for a 14 year old car, that is almost impossible. Might be possible but would be rare and it will never sell for 900k. But then that is what buyers want and as a businessman u have to give them what they want, hence rollback odometer.

The car dealership in this country is messed up and right now only the dishonest dealers are making money while the honest ones are not making any sales. Nobody wants to be in a business where he doesn't make sales.. let's face the fact. A honest dealer spends lots of money to bring a clean title car with low mileage into the country and puts a reasonable price on it, and other dishonest ones have the same car that are not clean title and odometer rolled back and sells it for a cheaper price. How many buyers have access to the internet? I can tell u that 80% of buyers out there doesn't know anything about carfax, they just want to buy a car and drive, and they go for the cheapest deals. SO I will not blame the dealers. Until the country enforces laws dealing with odometer rollbacks and give grin enough awareness to end buyers.. I'm pretty sure that is not gonna happen anytime soon. The government have more important things to tackle first. Then this issue will continue for a long long time.

My advice is after buying ur ride, check all parts and replace the ones that needs to be replaced with genuine parts, service ur car regularly and whenever a fault arises, fix it before it affects other things. IF U CAN'T DO THAT, THE BEST ALTERNATIVE IS TO BUY A BRAND NEW CAR grin grin grin

You deserve a bottle
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by earthrealm(m): 10:44am On Jul 29, 2013
even mtn/glo have a fair usage policy on their data bundle...so how wud cars be exmpt?
I would be happy buying an 05 model car with 100k miles...than the one with 230k miles........in the same vein..i would also be suspicious of an 05 model car with 25k miles.........I would be happier/more comfortable buying the one with 80k than 25k........unless I know the original owner personally...and hva ccess to the maintenance/service records.......not just vinrecords
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by elektra80: 11:56am On Jul 29, 2013
kormene:

You deserve a bottle

a bottle of what? Shey no be alomo lol. Anyway truth is bitter
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by kormene: 12:39pm On Jul 29, 2013
Hmmm, u don come oh, we are trying to mit up, u come day raise d bar lol.
It will b nice if we can lay our hands on all records b4 we make purchase.

earthrealm: even mtn/glo have a fair usage policy on their data bundle...so how wud cars be exmpt?
I would be happy buying an 05 model car with 100k miles...than the one with 230k miles........in the same vein..i would also be suspicious of an 05 model car with 25k miles.........I would be happier/more comfortable buying the one with 80k than 25k........unless I know the original owner personally...and hva ccess to the maintenance/service records.......not just vinrecords
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Fhemmmy: 1:27pm On Jul 29, 2013
elektra80:

The car dealership in this country is messed up and right now only the dishonest dealers are making money while the honest ones are not making any sales. Nobody wants to be in a business where he doesn't make sales.. let's face the fact. A honest dealer spends lots of money to bring a clean title car with low mileage into the country and puts a reasonable price on it, and other dishonest ones have the same car that are not clean title and odometer rolled back and sells it for a cheaper price. How many buyers have access to the internet? I can tell u that 80% of buyers out there doesn't know anything about carfax, they just want to buy a car and drive, and they go for the cheapest deals. SO I will not blame the dealers. Until the country enforces laws dealing with odometer rollbacks and give enough awareness to end buyers.. I'm pretty sure that is not gonna happen anytime soon. The government have more important things to tackle first. Then this issue will continue for a long long time.

What a scenario . . . Na wa oh
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by monex(m): 9:41am On Aug 21, 2013
Hello Guys,

good and educative responese.
I have a question: is a Toyota Camry 2008 v6 XLE @ true mileage of 180,000 a good buy @ N2.7m?

dealer reported mileage as 85,000 but a VIN check reported as about 180,000
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by kormene: 9:55am On Aug 21, 2013
Hmmm in bearly 5yrs u have close to 200 k mileage. Was the car used for space shuttle?
Attack d dealer with d true mileage and ask 4 price reduction if u want to go ahead.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by monex(m): 10:57am On Aug 21, 2013
un fortunately, i had alreadyb bought it before checking the VIN
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by BizBooks(m): 12:42pm On Aug 21, 2013
monex: Hello Guys,

I have a question: is a Toyota Camry 2008 v6 XLE @ true mileage of 180,000 a good buy @ N2.7m?

I have looked at the VIN report you forwarded to me and wish to add the following:

1. The vehicle is a 2007 not 2008 model. It says so on the VIN report. You can also tell
by the number 7 which appears at the 10th position of the VIN: 4T1BK46K97U012245

2. It passed emission and safety inspection each year it was tested which is a good thing.

3. It is a one owner car which is also a good thing.

4. It was used in Texas which explains the very high mileage. Texas is a very big state and
getting from one end to the other takes hours. The owner was driving an average of 30,000
miles a year which indicates that his place of work is far from his home. The US average is
about 15,000 miles a year.

Would you have bought this car at the price you did if you had known all these facts? I don't
think so. Next time, do a VIN check before buying no matter how clean the car looks.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by calculusx(m): 1:07pm On Aug 21, 2013
monex: Hello Guys,

One quick question and pls give the whole house a sincere and honest answer. In as much as I do not support odometer roll-back,would you have purchase the Car with original mileage of 180,000 even if he is selling it for N2.5m? Pls be sincere with your answer.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Emperoh(m): 1:53pm On Aug 21, 2013
calculusx:

One quick question and pls give the whole house a sincere and honest answer. In as much as I do not support odometer roll-back,would you have purchase the Car with original mileage of 180,000 even if he is selling it for N2.5m? Pls be sincere with your answer.

Waiting for the answer to this!

Let respondents not think we are just discussing this for discussion sake.
This will help guide dealers and what buyer actually want
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Fhemmmy: 1:58pm On Aug 21, 2013
calculusx:

I think the real question would be . . .
Clearing for the car would have been 400K Naira;
Transporting to the Port, cost of money sending, Courier of BOL to Lagos and Shipping itself would have been another 320K Naira and another 10K Naira to take the ride from the Port to anywhere you want within Lagos,
and that means only 1.97M Naira (12,085$$) was actually spent on buying the ride and for the dealer to make some profit too. . .
That is the average cost of buying the ride itself without his profit . . .
So is it a good buy based on the VIN report . . . well maintained and a 1-Owner ride?
I leave that to the house to judge

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Cyberknight: 2:41pm On Aug 21, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I think the real question would be . . .
Clearing for the car would have been 400K Naira;
Transporting to the Port, cost of money sending, Courier of BOL to Lagos and Shipping itself would have been another 320K Naira and another 10K Naira to take the ride from the Port to anywhere you want within Lagos,
and that means only 1.97M Naira (12,085$$) was actually spent on buying the ride and for the dealer to make some profit too. . .
That is the average cost of buying the ride itself without his profit . . .
So is it a good buy based on the VIN report . . . well maintained and a 1-Owner ride?
I leave that to the house to judge

Funny, but I've got someone who wants to get this particular car, and we've done a bit of research on prices in the US, and we're getting a rough average of about $12,500 - 13k, so I think your figures may be off. I think a landing price in Naija all things included may be closer to 2.2m. Of course, these are rough figures, 2nd hand prices vary widely and are not fixed.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Fhemmmy: 2:45pm On Aug 21, 2013
Cyberknight:

Funny, but I've got someone who wants to get this particular car, and we've done a bit of research on prices in the US, and we're getting a rough average of about $12,500 - 13k, so I think your figures may be off. I think a landing price in Naija all things included may be closer to 2.2m. Of course, these are rough figures, 2nd hand prices vary widely and are not fixed.

If the cost of buying is what you stated above there, that right is 2M Naira and over. . .Other associated cost is over 700K Naira . . . So you are already over 2.7M Naira . . . Check the figure well.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by oluwaseunsewe: 2:46pm On Aug 23, 2013
I have been in the car business for almost nine yrs, I don't deal with cheap customers, my cars are expensive, but you get what you want.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by erico2k2(m): 4:14pm On Aug 23, 2013
You want to buy a 10 years old car what milage do you think ot wpuld have?
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by monex(m): 1:09pm On Aug 25, 2013
calculusx:

i would def not have. i would have rather preferred a lower mileage car and pay more.

what i want to knw is hw bad this mileage is and if i have bought this car @ a high premium

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

52,000 Porsche Macan Recalled Due To Fuel Odour In The Cabin / How To Resolve Binding Brake Issue / Advice On Long Distance Journey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.