Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,670 members, 7,918,145 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 12:02 AM

Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law (17238 Views)

SDP Denies Endorsing Buhari / Akiolu Slams Obasanjo, Denies Endorsing Buhari / Shagari Denies Endorsing Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by olillywales(m): 9:39pm On Jul 23, 2013
The Senate has defended its decision to retain a controversial section of the constitution that seems to support child marriage, asking Nigerians to be calm and understand that the section has nothing to do with marriage, but instead citizenship.

The Senate said Nigerians had nothing to fear as it will never support child marriage, a subject at the centre of the controversy over Section 29, subsection 4(b) of the constitution.

That section details guidelines for a Nigerian to renounce his or her citizenship. Part of the law says the person must be at least 18 years. But if the person is a woman and married, the section continues, she shall be deemed to be “of age”.
An attempt by the Senate last week to deletethe second definition having to do with a married woman, as part of its ongoing constitutional amendment, failed after a member, Ahmed Yerima, claimed it was un-Islamic.

The failure has sparked intense public anger,one of the most sweeping, against a decisionby the National Assembly in years.
Nigerians have called for a reversal of the decision that will see the section deleted, saying retaining the provision, which has been in place since 1979, gives backing to child marriage and other abuses.

“This has nothing to do with child marriage; we will never support child marriage,” said Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu, who heads the review committee, said.
Mr. Ekweremadu deplored how even a “respected national daily” communicated wrongly to Nigerians that the section in question stipulates that the Senate was proposing to reduce the minimum year of consent from 18 years to nothing.

“This, as you are aware, is totally untrue,” hesaid on Tuesday.
The Senate said its effort at removing that section from the constitution in the first place was not informed by marital consideration, but that it was intended to maintain gender equality by making sure anything that grants separate guidelines for men and women, was deleted.

“In doing its work, the Senate committee on the review of the 1999 constitution went through the constitution to fish out and recommend for amendment other provisions such as Section 26(2)(a) and Section 42(1) deemed to be discriminatory against Nigerian citizens,” said Mr. Ekweremadu.
He said the section can still be revisited sinceconstitution review is continuous

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/141543-senate-denies-child-marriage-wrongdoing-says-law-may-be-revisited.html
SOURCE- www.metronaija.com/we-will-never-support-child-marriage-senate/
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 23, 2013
Good na now una come. Mek una enjoy dis now wey una brain don dey work. Tight toto kill aboki there!

8 Likes

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by sainty2k3(m): 10:21pm On Jul 23, 2013
Its just a means of passively giving support to child marriage.
Cos this explanation means that the 13 year old wife of Yerima can vote whereas a 17 year old unmarried can't.
They are saying if u want ur 7yr old daughter to attain the constitutional 'full age' just give her out in marriage
That section needs review

32 Likes

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by drnoel: 10:27pm On Jul 23, 2013
sainty2k3: Its just a means of passively giving support to child marriage.
Cos this explanation means that the 13 year old wife of Yerima can vote whereas a 17 year old unmarried can't.
They are saying if u want ur 7yr old daughter to attain the constitutional 'full age' just give her out in marriage
That section needs review
It mean yarima married an underage who can vote. The fact that she is underage and married does not make her an adult even if she is to be regarded as one. It means yarima still broke the law by marring an underage.

5 Likes

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by princesammmy: 10:40pm On Jul 23, 2013
we can't be decieved any longer

4 Likes

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Nobody: 12:19am On Jul 24, 2013
We hope this is not just hypocrisy?
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Nobody: 12:31am On Jul 24, 2013
Then Arrest Senator Yerima and sentence him... SIMPLE!!!!!!

14 Likes

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by EmiolaWaleola(m): 12:34am On Jul 24, 2013
Hi guys, the section under consideration considering the citizenship clause has been controversial and has made Nigerians to refuse the usual complacent nature of ours, however having watched the senate sitting yesterday it was clear that Sen.Yerima and Sen.Goje were both bent on the senate revisiting the issue but I can say affirmatively that the Senators were never in support and will never be in support of that inhumane act of child marriage let's be careful of what we hear from people to avoid misinformation. We stand and say no to child marriage... Meanwhile the section under question has also being misunderstood by the senators themseives the constitutiton says anyone that is of full age must have attained 18years of age so why on earth would they say anyone who is married is deemed to be of full age? Even if that means the person must be 18years and above. We go school na and we understand the use of english. My people we aren't fools. Thank you.

14 Likes

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by crystalballs: 10:31am On Jul 24, 2013
Who are they decieving?
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Lifebender(m): 10:34am On Jul 24, 2013
U better do before we come over and beat you to coma...

1 Like

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by SincereBigot: 10:35am On Jul 24, 2013
Ah! God save these senators ooo..

Because what happened exactly on the 16th of April 1874 in Old Benin would have repeated itself.

Useless bunch of Senators.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by HoldenCaulfield(m): 10:35am On Jul 24, 2013
Nigerians (especially southerns) are silly sonuvabitches, i swear to to god they are. Why all the chaos about what concerns you not for god's. Mtchew bunch of phony, dirty slobs.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Nobody: 10:37am On Jul 24, 2013
Were they testing the might of the masses in the first place?
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Lifebender(m): 10:37am On Jul 24, 2013
chidindufrank: Good na now una come. Mek una enjoy dis now wey una brain don dey work. Tight toto kill aboki there!
u don dey cra.ze.So na guinness u sabi give demabeg give them acid make dem go die for one side...afterall there days are numbered

5 Likes

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Nobody: 10:37am On Jul 24, 2013
I'm not surprised, just disgusted!
Better oh
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Nobody: 10:38am On Jul 24, 2013
angry

15 Likes

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Lifebender(m): 10:38am On Jul 24, 2013
Sincere Bigot: .
na North fit you..ode

1 Like

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Nobody: 10:39am On Jul 24, 2013
Diz pipo funi oooo,hu ar dey tryin2 confuse or fulmtcheeeeew''....
Anouncement:2maro na my betdy jare....filin lyk a child......
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Asolab(m): 10:39am On Jul 24, 2013
Dnt mind dem jahwe.. ... . . . . I was d one dt sign it
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by moshoodn(m): 10:40am On Jul 24, 2013
THIS IS NIGERIA. .

I WILL NOT STOMACH HYPOCRISY.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by SincereBigot: 10:43am On Jul 24, 2013
Lifebender:
na North fit you..ode
guy.. Wetin i do for ur papa na??...

E be like sey u jus smoke Ewedu finish abi?
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Kenny4lyfe(m): 10:43am On Jul 24, 2013
Gullible senators! They are known for speaking from both sides of their stinking mouth! Yerima will go and marry another 12 year-old now before anyone could say jack! oloriburuku

1 Like

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by mesther96(f): 10:43am On Jul 24, 2013
i laugh in swahilismileycheesy
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by freecocoa(f): 10:44am On Jul 24, 2013
These people are just contradicting themselves and the nonsense law they made.

It is very simple and plain English.

A girl is deemed to be full of age once married. This simply means that, even if she's 2 years because she's married, that makes her an adult.

What else is there to make noise about? I attended my English classes wella so they should stop defending their twisted fantasies.

3 Likes

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by polokor60(m): 10:46am On Jul 24, 2013
old preverts. angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:47am On Jul 24, 2013
See the as them they contradict themselves.
Last Bullet:
Any girl that's not 18 should not be allowed to vote even if she was married from the womb!

3 Likes

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by sugardaddy1(m): 10:49am On Jul 24, 2013
spongeback: angry
Thank you.
Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by FindOut(m): 10:50am On Jul 24, 2013
Misinformation galore.

Many of those screaming childnotbride could have saved their breath on 29 (4) and looked for the relevant section to attack if they as much as READ the legislation in question. But then since a vast majority of Nigerians DO NOT READ, coupled with the Senator Yerima beef & the bandwagon effect (me too i'm talking, or i'm among), its not hard to see why so much misdirected noise was made over that legislation.

Even on nairaland here, some people were still writing epistles and stating categorically that "Nigeria wanted to introduce a law allowing child marriage" when the issue at hand was actually the removal or retention of a certain clause in a section devoted entirely to citizenship and which in actual fact had to do with giving an edge or not to women who were under 18 but married.

It is also not surprising why our leaders have continued to do nonsense, get away with it and still get voted again by people. WE DON'T READ. We never bother to find out just how much cra..p or otherwise we are getting from the leaders.
I hope that from now, especially by 2015, Nigerians will for once actually use their active campaign mentality for something good rather than relying on sentiments as usual.

15 Likes

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by Adex097: 10:51am On Jul 24, 2013
HoldenCaulfield: Nigerians (especially southerns) are silly sonuvabitches, i swear to to god they are. Why all the chaos about what concerns you not for god's. Mtchew bunch of phony, dirty slobs.
Who's gonna translate what this guy wrote?

5 Likes

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by sureway1(m): 10:54am On Jul 24, 2013
Adex097:
Who's gonna translate what this guy wrote?
The guy dey fast...

9 Likes

Re: Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law by ShobayoEmma(m): 10:55am On Jul 24, 2013
Please am i the only one seing this salient trash? Southerners should alarted because this is a delibrate attempt in augmenting the northerners votes in the general election hence thier molested children wives can vote which the southerners wil never encourage.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

We Will Write Your Resignation Letter, Nigerians Abroad Tell Saraki / PHOTOS: Osinabjo Launches MSME Clinic / Police Says Maina Will Be Extradited To Nigeria Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.