Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,360 members, 7,971,272 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 07:09 AM

Siena, Ikenna And Other Gurus: Pls Help My Montero 2002 With Crankshaft Damage - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Siena, Ikenna And Other Gurus: Pls Help My Montero 2002 With Crankshaft Damage (679 Views)

Ikenna, Phemmy And Other Gurus. Is Atf Sp Iii The Same As Atf Dextron Iii? / Merits Of Repairing My Crankshaft Against Buying A New Engine / Siena's Project B6 Audi A4 Quattro - First Pictures. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Siena, Ikenna And Other Gurus: Pls Help My Montero 2002 With Crankshaft Damage by Afosulu: 7:30pm On Jul 30, 2013
My montero sports 2wd developed some metallic noise inside the engine and the engine light came on while I was doing 160km/ hr on ilesa- Ife expressway in May this was barely 6wks when I bought it from US. The following damages were discovered: crankshaft damage and the sump was broken. The mechanic has just been able to repair it a few days ago. The following were replaced- crankshaft and connecting rods, engine oil pump, sump, new rings with tokunboh pistons, new plugs, cylinder gasket. The car is working now but the engine vibrates when idling and also when the car is doing 80-100 km/hr but the vibration improves below and above this range. I also noticed the cruise control no longer works. There is no check engine light on. Pls advise what do I do.thanks
Re: Siena, Ikenna And Other Gurus: Pls Help My Montero 2002 With Crankshaft Damage by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jul 30, 2013
Again, no indication of engine size. undecided

If you're getting vibration at the rpm load sites you've mentioned, I would be looking at a timing issue, in particular the balance shaft timing. It rotates in the opposite direction of engine travel, to cancel out harmonic distortion. Also, make sure the harmonic damper pulley is in good shape, is actually fitted, or the bolt is tightened to the correct torque.

Besides the vibration, does the engine pull strongly through the gears?

The cruise control fitted is an electro-mechanical system. There should be a vacuum-operated bellows with a pull rod linked to the throttle quadrant. Make sure this is in place, and the bellows isn't split. Also, it MUST have a vacuum line attached, else it won't work.

And lastly...just because you don't have a CEL, doesn't mean there isn't a fault. I would still advice you have the OBD port interrogated.

Relay all the above to your mechanic.
Re: Siena, Ikenna And Other Gurus: Pls Help My Montero 2002 With Crankshaft Damage by Afosulu: 10:00pm On Jul 30, 2013
Thanks sir. It is a 3.0l V6 engine. 2002 Model. The gear change is not as seamless as it was before the incident. I noticed that the rpm dial goes very high between 3000-3500 rpm when changing from 2nd to 3rd Gear but drops to about 2000rpm once the 3rd gear is engaged. However 1st to second and 3rd to fourth are smooth.

(1) (Reply)

Please What Is Wrong With My Car? / Scanned Code P0229 / Advice Needed On Car Issue-urgent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.