Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,462 members, 7,917,398 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 04:53 AM

South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos (2269 Views)

Eritrean Government Law Saying Men Should Marry Two Wives Or Risk Jail / Ghana Economy Is A Mess!!!! / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by 99cent: 3:52am On Aug 01, 2013
Everyday in the news a Nigerian with Igbo sounding name is arrested, deported or killed in South Africa. What do you think will happen if SA starts to recognize Nigerian contribution to its economy and starts treating us with more respect and tender loving care that we deserve? Pick one:

a) South Africa's economy will grow and expand.
b) South Africa's Nigerian population will grow and expand.
c) both a and b.

methinks SA is trying to reduce/control its Nigerian population hence the hostility. But is it putting its economy at risk by doing so?
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by Nobody: 4:09am On Aug 01, 2013
So now it's no longer Nigerians that are persecuting igbos, it is now SA? Ok.. I think nigeria needs to let Igbo people form their own nation!

1 Like

Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by manny4life(m): 4:22am On Aug 01, 2013
0lumide: So now it's no longer Nigerians that are persecuting igbos, it is now SA? Ok.. I think nigeria needs to let Igbo people form their own nation!

Amen o, I wish they will let us go... At least my brothers and sisters will find their way back home and build their home.
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by 99cent: 4:25am On Aug 01, 2013
manny4life:

Amen o, I wish they will let us go... At least my brothers and sisters will find their way back home and build their home.

If igbos really want to leave Nigeria, they would have by now.
We are no longer under millitary rule, all igbos need to do is appeal to their governors to lead the cause.
The biggest threat to Biafra is actually Igbo governors, not Nigeria.

If igbos can vote for MASSOB representatives as their next governors, then I will believe that they are serious about leaving. Until then, this whole "let us go" talk is just rubbish.
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by Standing5(m): 4:32am On Aug 01, 2013
If criminal activities too are part of economic developement then let the Igbos openly reguest that they legalize all criminal acts in SA.
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by manny4life(m): 4:48am On Aug 01, 2013
99cent:

If igbos really want to leave Nigeria, they would have by now.
We are no longer under millitary rule, all igbos need to do is appeal to their governors to lead the cause.
The biggest threat to Biafra is actually Igbo governors, not Nigeria.

If igbos can vote for MASSOB representatives as their next governors, then I will believe that they are serious about leaving. Until then, this whole "let us go" talk is just rubbish.

Please save your rhetoric abeg... How about the whole Nigeria lead the cause and not Igbos only? After all as much as we want our own country, hypothetically, everyone is tired of us, so it shouldn't be about us, but ALL. If you're tired of us, DO SOMETHING. Make no mistake, Igbos want their own country, but def not all cost...One Nigeria is not working but we can still benefit while it last. grin grin
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by 99cent: 5:03am On Aug 01, 2013
manny4life:

Please save your rhetoric abeg... How about the whole Nigeria lead the cause and not Igbos only? After all as much as we want our own country, hypothetically, everyone is tired of us, so it shouldn't be about us, but ALL. If you're tired of us, DO SOMETHING. Make no mistake, Igbos want their own country, but def not all cost...One Nigeria is not working but we can still benefit while it last. grin grin

You dey craze. you are very clearly high on drugs. I personally as a yoruba person if I am tired of you and want you to leave Nigeria, I will ask the govt to round you up and throw you into cameroon if it were up to me. duh
why should "nigeria" lead the cause for biafra. does that even make any sense to you?
another igbo who doesn't know what he wants.

better go and find a way to vote a MASSOB sympathizer into power in SE government. that is pretty much the only way Biafra can be realized. If you will recall, even Ojukwu was governor of eastern states in his time. back then we were under millitary rule. today, i'm sure a referendum will be used. Sudan is an example. keep in mind the South Sudanese did the work for themselves. they clearly wanted independence badly.

1 Like

Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by manny4life(m): 5:09am On Aug 01, 2013
99cent:

You dey craze. you are very clearly high on drugs. I personally as a yoruba person if I am tired of you and want you to leave Nigeria, I will ask the govt to round you up and throw you into cameroon if it were up to me. duh that way, the goal of Igbos leaving Nigeria will be accomplished grin
why should "nigeria" lead the cause for biafra. does that even make any sense to you?
another igbo who doesn't know what he wants.

better go and find a way to vote a MASSOB sympathizer into power in SE government. that is pretty much the only way Biafra can be realized. If you will recall, even Ojukwu was governor of eastern states in his time. back then we were under millitary rule. today, i'm sure a referendum will be used. Sudan is an example. keep in mind the South Sudanese did the work for themselves. they clearly wanted independence badly.

The effect of cheap weed will continue to phase on you.

Like I said, we're not pressed for Biafra yet, not until we've gained and benefitted from "ONE NIGERIA"

If you CANNOT deal with US, whether we bitchhh or complain or whine or whatever, you got two options --- PUT UP or SHUT UP....SIMPLE.

CASE CLOSED

1 Like

Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by kettykin: 5:18am On Aug 01, 2013
What Really does Fashola want.

Fashola during the last press conference for constitutional review openly opposed a return to regional system of Government
which would have made it mandatory for people to return back to their Region as was practiced in the 60s and only be in the Federal capital only

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fashola-opposes-geo-political-zones-autonomy-for-councils/138360
Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN), has described as erroneous attempts to grant legal recognition to six geo-political zones and autonomy to local councils under the on-going review of the 1999 Constitution

Presently the Niger Deltans and Igbos support a return to the regional system of Governance via the 6 Regions
http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/gowon-clark-fashola-obi-disagree-over-constitution-review/

He had support from former Information Minister and the National Leader of the Ijaw people, Chief Edwin Clark.

Clark said: “We need a national conference to discuss. Our constitution is a military instrument given to us by the military. I disagree with the Lagos State governor on the constitution amendment. We need a document that would make Nigerians equal. The six zones suggested by Alex Ekwueme should be the federating zones of this country. No region should hold another region down

A return to the 6 Regional system of Governance would make everybody or most people to return to their region and each region would have to cater for its own destitutes as opposed to the present 36 states under a federal system.

The Yorubas and Fashola should rather than come on online and express their Knowledge deficiencies go and push for a Return to Regional system of Governance , a Con federal System of Governance where each region exist as an autonomous country sharing only armed forces and foreign affairs with other regions while they can choose to have different currencies and independent currencies and police.

Obasanjo a yoruba Hypocrite vehemently opposed Confederation
http://www.economist.com/node/332151
Meanwhile, the strains increase. Tempers are frayed. The violence in the north has set off calls for Nigeria to split into a looser confederation of ethnic regions, an idea that the “detribalised” Mr Obasanjo finds abhorrent. “One of the things that makes Nigeria important today in the world is its diversity. Although this diversity has a number of problems associated with it, its advantages far outweigh its disadvantages,” he preached to a crowd in the south-west last month.
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by 99cent: 5:27am On Aug 01, 2013
manny4life:
Like I said, we're not pressed for Biafra yet, not until we've gained and benefitted from "ONE NIGERIA"

hahahahahahhahahahaha whenever u become ready and serious, let us know. cool
until then keep dancing azonto and waving israeli flags. it keeps me entertained.

Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by 99cent: 5:40am On Aug 01, 2013
@kittykin, Fashola wants state power. not regional zones. He will only support regional zones IF such zones become autonomous governments rather than a mere way to consolidate states and reduce individual state power. His words are very clear. Geo-political zones do not have any definite or defined responsibility, leadership and administrative structure. It is insignificant as he sees it and meant to confuse us. He is a lawyer by training afterall. he knows his legal stuff.

He, therefore, recommended that the items on the exclusive list be substantially reduced “to reflect the principles of appropriateness and state autonomy. The state legislature should have or share jurisdiction such subjects as police, criminal records, prisons, establishment of air and seaports, electric power generation and distribution and the taxation of incomes, profits and capital gains.”

He also opposed the inclusion of geo-political zones in the constitution, explaining that recognition of a body in a constitution “presupposes that it will have a definite purpose or responsibility and its composition, leadership and administrative structure will have to be defined.

Since the geo-political zones are not intended to be regional governments, their inclusion in the constitution may cause needless confusion as to their status or significance.
Section 14(3)is comprehensive enough to reflect the federal character of the country and the need to promote national unity,” he said.
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by Nobody: 5:43am On Aug 01, 2013
when Ghanaians wer in Nigeria were they treated fairly? now their country is better we'd d once facing challenges in other 'minute' countries. #Nigeria must go bags now selling in Kenya an SA
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by kettykin: 5:58am On Aug 01, 2013
99cent: @kittykin, Fashola wants state power. not regional zones. He will only support regional zones IF such zones become autonomous governments rather than a mere way to consolidate states and reduce individual state power. His words are very clear. Geo-political zones do not have any definite or defined responsibility, leadership and administrative structure. It is insignificant as he sees it and meant to confuse us. He is a lawyer by training afterall. he knows his legal stuff.

The Federal system with states serving as the federating units has it limitations which include that everybody in the federation has the right to live/exist where ever he/she wants see below
41. (1) Every citizen of Nigeria is entitled to move freely throughout Nigeria and to reside in any part thereof, and no citizen of Nigeria shall be expelled from Nigeria or refused entry thereby or exit therefrom

(2) Nothing in subsection (1) of this section shall invalidate any law that is reasonably justifiable in a democratic society-

(a) imposing restrictions on the residence or movement of any person who has committed or is reasonably suspected to have committed a criminal offence in order to prevent him from leaving Nigeria; or

(b) providing for the removal of any person from Nigeria to any other country to:-

(i) be tried outside Nigeria for any criminal offence, or

(ii) undergo imprisonment outside Nigeria in execution of the sentence of a court of law in respect of a criminal offence of which he has been found guilty:

Provided that there is reciprocal agreement between Nigeria and such other country in relation to such matter.

However a return to a confederal or regional system of governance which Fashola is running away from can grant him the right to expel or deport people he deems not fit to exist in Lagos
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by 99cent: 6:03am On Aug 01, 2013
Yungwizzzy: when Ghanaians wer in Nigeria were they treated fairly? now their country is better we'd d once facing challenges in other 'minute' countries. #Nigeria must go bags now selling in Kenya an SA

Lagosians aren't complaining. we def don't want the ghanaians back cool
at least not in droves.

those bags are being sold to Igbo Nigerians. I wonder if a dearth of igbos in kenya and SA will destroy the kenyan and SA economy. lol
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by 99cent: 6:07am On Aug 01, 2013
kettykin:

[b]The Federal system with states serving as the federating units has it limitations which include that everybody in the federation has the right to live/exist where ever he/she wants see below
However a return to a confederal or regional system of governance which Fashola is running away from can grant him the right to expel or deport people he deems not fit to exist in Lagos

well, the "regional system" that is being put at the table is not really to Fashola's liking. it doesn't have enough power and is a mere dressgown. If the constitution fixes it so that each region has autonomous power then i'm sure Fashola will gladly accept cool for now, he prefers the state power he has.
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by Nobody: 6:09am On Aug 01, 2013
The whole african, sorry world economy is at risk because of the vainglorious chest beaters.

I'm sure its ibos who drive the extractive industry in sa, and who own 70 percent of SA real estate
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by 99cent: 6:09am On Aug 01, 2013
besides, IMO what fashola wants is more state power. state ability to deport etc lol
Fashola is not a regional governor. he is a state governor.
i'm not saying it is right. but u that's what I feel is going on.
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by 99cent: 6:13am On Aug 01, 2013
oyb: The whole african, sorry world economy is at risk because of the vainglorious chest beaters.

I'm sure its ibos who drive the extractive industry in sa, and who own 70 percent of SA real estate

right.
the world revolves around igbos.... so it will naturally come to a stand still and become incapacitated without their presence grin
not just Nigeria or SA... the entire world!
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by Nobody: 6:13am On Aug 01, 2013
99cent:

Lagosians aren't complaining. we def don't want the ghanaians back cool
at least not in droves.

those bags are being sold to Igbo Nigerians. I wonder if a dearth of igbos in kenya and SA will destroy the kenyan and SA economy. lol

The whole truth is I will rather prefer these Ghanians back in place of the Ibos in Lagos.....there was a time in the 70's and early 80's when these Ghanians were here....many of them. Lovely ...hardworking and respectful people that don't go around beating the hairy chest of how they are the one running the economy ...unlike what we have now with Igbos.

1 Like

Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by 99cent: 6:16am On Aug 01, 2013
ilugunboy:

The whole truth is I will rather prefer these Ghanians back in place of the Ibos in Lagos.....there was a time in the 70's and early 80's when these Ghanians were here....many of them. Lovely ...hardworking and respectful people that don't go around beating the hairy chest of how they are the one running the economy ...unlike what we have now with Igbos.

well now of course. if they were replacing igbos then sure definitely!! I'll welcome that.
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by cjrane: 6:31am On Aug 01, 2013
99cent: Everyday in the news a Nigerian with Igbo sounding name is arrested, deported or killed in South Africa. What do you think will happen if SA starts to recognize Nigerian contribution to its economy and starts treating us with more respect and tender loving care that we deserve? Pick one:

a) South Africa's economy will grow and expand.
b) South Africa's Nigerian population will grow and expand.
c) both a and b.

methinks SA is trying to reduce/control its Nigerian population hence the hostility. But is it putting its economy at risk by doing so?

[size=30pt]One day Nigeria will finally breakup so that Yoruba people will finally quit their Igbo addiction and leave Igbo people alone. Yoruba people simply stay alive to be creating problems around the world and dragging the name Igbo in it.Some really devilish people men![/size]
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by 99cent: 6:34am On Aug 01, 2013
cjrane:
One day Nigeria will finally breakup so that Yoruba people will finally leave Igbo people alone and stop creating problems around the world and dragging the name Igbo in it.

you clearly don't want to be left alone. Your attention seeking antics make it known that you love to be the center of attention. we are giving you the attention. now revel in it. 50font isn't big enough. use 100font next time. cheap attention seeker!

when you are ignored for a minute, you start throwing tantrums. why is that?
https://www.nairaland.com/1373338/state-govt-ignores-igbos-does

also, why "one day"? why not now? Why aren't igbo people voting MASSOB members to office in state government level?
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by raytony: 6:37am On Aug 01, 2013
Baffled by the importance being attached to the igbos and the economy. The other day it was Governor Suswam saying something else, now them don carry am go a whole country. Ah ah, make we dey talk true small small now.
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by kettykin: 6:41am On Aug 01, 2013
99cent:

well now of course. if they were replacing igbos then sure definitely!! I'll welcome that.

Even igbos would support this , but first fix the constitution to allow this , it is funny the same yorubas who are today blaming igbos for coming to live and do business in Lagos ( whose status as the former capital of Nigeria has conferred on it undue and enormous advantages over other states of the Federation which includes hosting the Oil companies headquarters with its huge income taxes going to Lagos against the norm obtainable in other oil producing countries of the world, The Telecommunication industry headquarters, the Banking industry headquarters and the only 3 Deep sea ports (Apapa, warf,Tincan ports) serving a country of 160 Million people against the Norm of having it spread across the coastal states for scalabilty and redundancy) are the same folks who vehemently opposed the Aburi Accord and encouraged Gowon to do the same and went to every lenght stop Biafrans from leaving the Lagos for them.

The questions from the above are

Why is it just taking yorubas 47 years to realize that they need no igbos in their Region.
What is stopping these yoruba people from dusting Aburi Accord or a similar Accord and fighting for its implementation.
What chances do these yoruba people have of stopping igbos without due recourse to Aburi or constitutional review

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/lets-return-to-aburi-accord-adeniyi/

CHIEF Tola Adeniyi, is a foremost journalist and former Managing Director of Daily Times. In this interview with Vanguard, stressed the need for restructuring of the polity into a confederal system as agreed at the Aburi, Ghana meeting of 1966 to address the myriad of problems facing the country .................

Confederation
To prevent us from becoming another Somalia, the president must send a bill to the National Assembly to start a process of confederation. Let every region be semi-autonomous and develop at its own level. That was the Aburi agreement.
What was agreed on then was that there should be confederation. I am proposing that Nigeria should immediately go to six regions which Abacha created in 1995 and these regions should be semi autonomous. What will only bind us together will be defence, foreign policy and currency
What I am saying is that there is need for restructuring of the polity. We were forced into a marriage, the terms of which were never made known. They never consulted anybody and because we don’t have a nation, it also contributed a deal to the problems of Nigeria.
We must have a confederation, we must have a nation and that is why we need to talk. We must have a national conference, people must come together to talk. We cannot run away from it. We must sit down and decide how to live togther as a nation.
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/lets-return-to-aburi-accord-adeniyi/#sthash.S5nnQGFp.dpuf
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by 99cent: 6:42am On Aug 01, 2013
kettykin:

Even igbos would support this ,

clearly not. else they won't be complaining about fashola "deporting" them.
or complaining about being deported from South Africa and other foreign Africa countries grin
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by kettykin: 6:44am On Aug 01, 2013
99cent:

clearly not. else they won't be complaining about fashola "deporting" them.
or complaining about being deported from South Africa and other foreign Africa countries grin

The questions are

Why is it just taking yorubas 47 years to realize that they need no igbos in their Region.
What is stopping these yoruba people from dusting Aburi Accord or a similar Accord and fighting for its implementation.
What chances do these yoruba people have of stopping igbos without due recourse to Aburi or constitutional review
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by 99cent: 6:46am On Aug 01, 2013

yorubas have never once begged any igbo to come to our region. igbos come on their own accord. heck they will come even if we start throwing bombs at them. look at the north. despite boko haram, igbos are still flocking there grin
all people are welcome in yorubaland. just that they need to know their place wink
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by 99cent: 6:48am On Aug 01, 2013
kettykin:
What chances do these yoruba people have of stopping igbos without due recourse to Aburi or constitutional review[/b]

Fashola will fight for state power to deport non-lagosians i'm sure. That's something that could be implemented to stem the flood of immigrants. I will be happy for such a clause to be written in the constitution.
Let igbos states also feel free to deport its non-indegenes if it wishes.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news-metro/128410-fasholas-aide-defends-deportation-of-67-to-anambra
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by Nomski0(f): 6:59am On Aug 01, 2013
Still dont know when this biafra mentality will be erased from our igbo brothers. One legacy that the late Ojukwu left behind that i dont appreciate is this Biafra mentality......that man single handly divided this country, even if we're still one(for now)Nigeria is definately 3 in one country.
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by kettykin: 7:00am On Aug 01, 2013
99cent:

Fashola will fight for state power to deport non-lagosians i'm sure. That's something that could be implemented to stem the flood of immigrants. I will be happy for such a clause to be written in the constitution.
Let igbos states also feel free to deport its non-indegenes if it wishes.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news-metro/128410-fasholas-aide-defends-deportation-of-67-to-anambra

Deporting non Lagosians and igbos and still be in the same country with them does not solve your problem it only solves a problem and creates another because you will still meet them in Abuja and other friendlier cities , but pushing for a break up or confederation solves your issues with no consequences
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by kettykin: 7:04am On Aug 01, 2013
Nomski0: Still dont know when this biafra mentality will be erased from our igbo brothers. One legacy that the late Ojukwu left behind that i dont appreciate is this Biafra mentality......that man single handly divided this country, even if we're still one(for now)Nigeria is definately 3 in one country.

Biafra came as a result of the pogrom , deal with the pogrom going on in the North and there will be no Biafra.

Just this Monday more than 50 people were killed in the bomb blast and that is not your head ache , but Biafra which ordinary should not be an issue is troubling you , by 2014 Britain will experience a dealmagamtion as Scotland leave , but The brits are not loosing sleep over that .
Re: South Africa's Economy At Risk For Ignoring And Persecuting Igbos by 99cent: 7:21am On Aug 01, 2013
kettykin:

Deporting non Lagosians and igbos and still be in the same country with them does not solve your problem it only solves a problem and creates another because you will still meet them in Abuja and other friendlier cities , but pushing for a break up or confederation solves your issues with no consequences

break-up isn't necessarily a big deal for yorubas. if igbos want it, good for them, they should push for it. they haven't so clearly they don't want to break up either. only making mouth and looking for attention as usual.

you are the one shouting aburi accord up and down. isn't it the regional power that is the main purpose? if states can have that same power then what's the difference? we can have the benefit of being under one country (mostly global/international benefit) yet the autonomy of being independent states.

what do u mean by "meet them in Abuja"? how does that concern lagos if igbos are in abuja? LOL and who says that abuja wouldn't put up restrictions if it feels that too many igbos are populating its state?

(1) (2) (Reply)

OBAMA REFUSES TO ALLOW YAZIDI AND ASSYRIAN CHRISTIANS FLEEING ISIS TO ENTER U.S. / In Syria, Russia Defends Civilization – The West Sides With Barbarism / The World’s Largest Gay Mass Wedding Holds In Brazil [see Photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.