Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,188 members, 7,890,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 05:41 AM

Has Sony Been Ripping Off Gamers Since Playstation 1 - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Has Sony Been Ripping Off Gamers Since Playstation 1 (988 Views)

A Thread For Mobile Gamers ( Android & IOS ) / Post Your PSN Ids Here [hardcore Gamers Only] / Pc Gamers, What Are Your Pc Specs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Sony Been Ripping Off Gamers Since Playstation 1 by Mistiky(m): 5:17pm On May 30, 2008
I am relatively new to posting on nairaland but i have been catching up on old threads and some of the issues discussed have been absolutely interesting.
There are some posters that have particularly impressed me with their views and i absolutely respect most if not all of their opinions.
@ Texazzpete
U rock man. I absolutely have to meet you in person. It will happen one day, don't know how though.
@ All nairaland gamers
There's an issue that has not been discussed on here and i want to bring it to your attention.
Does any body on nairaland agree with me that Sony has and is still ripping off gamers the world over ?
I will just give you a clue as to what i mean: The previous generation of game platforms " 32 and 64 bits", did you guys notice that only the playstation console
came with just two slots for pads while they encouraged developers to build games that included the options of having more than 2 players playing at a time. the gamer then had no option but to go and purchase additional accessories in other to enjoy the benefit of playing multiplayer games. There's also the durability of Sony's consoles. I can state with all confidence that the Sony consoles are the least durable of all the console. Anyone here with the same problem of using more than 3 lenses for one console in a year.
The list goes on and on. I am putting this out there for all gamers on nairaland to discuss. Is it me or has Sony been ripping off gamers since the inception of Playstation 1.
Re: Has Sony Been Ripping Off Gamers Since Playstation 1 by pein(m): 7:26pm On May 30, 2008
@mistiky
first of,welcome to nairaland.now onto the issue.you say sony consoles have lens problems?!question for u?did sony or anybody for that matter ask u to 'chip' ur console?or is it written in the manual?!its a risk and its u who would incure any costs pertaining to that,so that basically ur problem or doing that,if u cnt live with it then dnt game.
about having 2 slots for pads,back then multiplayer was more or less a niche,every older system had 2 slots even the snes,the 64 had 4 slots but hw many games apart from some major first-party games were multiplayer oriented?!Also would you play PES with 4 pads?its games like ssm brawl that u do that.
Im not entirely vindicating sony as they have problems but which console manufacturer doesnt?Microsoft,Sony and Nintendo have issues stemming from gamers and it'll go one cuz at the end of the day its about hw much money they make and not wtaht u as a consumer really want.For example;why does Nintendo only make first part games once for every generation and leave the console to rot?!what has Microsoft done apart from halo-which in my opinion is heavily over hyped and a shit FPS- and hw many games do Sony themselves produce?each manufacturer has their own set of ideals and if it works,fine if it doesn't then u wait for the next generation ad they lose money and face-value to competition.
I have a 360 and a PS3 yet the 360 has gone back to Microsoft more times than i can count cuz of its stupid 'RROD',the PS3 also crashes when i play some games.when both piss me off so much and i play on my PC i get shit like stuttering,clipping,slow game play,having to set my graphics options and upgrading my Pc just cause i wnt to play a stupid $60 game,have in mind i've got a pretty bad ass PC but all these issues dnt matter to the gamer-unless its really serious- cuz they just wnt to play and that's the underlying factor;having fun.
Re: Has Sony Been Ripping Off Gamers Since Playstation 1 by Mistiky(m): 4:17pm On May 31, 2008
@pein
Thanks for d welcome. wink
I knw about the prob of chipping ur lens and shortening the lifespan but which of those set of consoles didn't
You could chip an xbox, a playstation 2 and a gamecube and i can i assure you( thats assuming u don't already know this, which i doubt) that the xbox will outlive the other two, and the gamecube will definately outlive the ps2. The lens problem is just one of the issues, the issues of the pads that i raised is very glaring really. I couldn't beleive that the ps2 actually shipped with 2 pad slots.
What i think basically is that Sony does not really know how to manufacture games. Guys, do you know that the stromgest and perhaps the best of all the sony consoles (ps 1) was not designed by Sony. It was actually a joint venture btw Sony and Nintendo that produced the ps1 console. Nintendo later pulled out of the project due to some administrative reasons and Sony went ahead to finish the project but nintendo had already done the most part of the work and all Sony ahd to do was to put some finishing touches. Since the Ps1 console, the playstation console has been suffering a steady decline and the misadventure of the ps3 console just goes ahead to confirm this.
I know that to some i will come accross as a Playstion/Sony hater. Actually i am not. I am just really fed up with their antics and i can't just shake off this thought at the back of my head that they just don't really have it when it comes to console manufacturing or they delibrately make their consoles less durably that others so they can sell more parts and accessories.
Re: Has Sony Been Ripping Off Gamers Since Playstation 1 by pein(m): 6:58pm On May 31, 2008
@mistiky
first,ur story bout nintendo and sony is true to an extent.yes it was supposed to be a colaboration btw the 2 companies in the early nineties but nintendo pulled out cuz of sonys insistence that it be a cd based console which nintendo didnt want cuz basically sega's cd effort(sega CD tongue) died.do u actually think if nintendo's tech were still in the playstation sony would exist today?all ull hear is lawsuit after lawsuit.Sony tooka risk with the playstation and look where it landed them.they became number one even besting nintendo's 64bit console.
I had the ps2 and xbox and even tho the ps2 gave problems so did the xbox.u basically play most of ur games on the ps2 dnt u?with the xbox next and then the gamecube so y shudnt the lens of something u use more than any other get weaker faster?its like those who've got dvd-writers and those with normal dvds on thier systems,the ones with dvd writers if they burn lots of stuff will definitely have issues far earlier than those without,so that isnt a valid point.
why were u surprised the ps2 shipped with 2 pad slots?it came out in 2000,can u mention any multiplayer game that was 'it' back then? the xbox and gamecube came after the ps2 with 4 slots and still lost that generations race,so its not about slots but games.its all about cost effectiveness,wold u make a console and start selling at a lower price than what it takes to assemble one thereby losing wads of money?!!!didnt think so.
oh! and u DO sound like a playstation hater grin
misadventures of the ps3? as far as i know,its selling even tho its the most expensive that shuld tell u that ppl say and do different things.everyone says its expensive yet fork out loads of cash to get it and with better exclusive games coming out it'll only sell more.do u know hw many ppl are waiting for a game like MGS4 to get a ps3?the playstation brand always starts slow then picks up as seen with the previous 2 generations so dnt be so bothered just enjoy ur games cuz i do.tho we;ll probably see fanboys coming over and saying why one is better than the other,i own both the ps3 and the 360 and play games cuz i wnt to not cuz i wnt to be like someone else. The wii on the other and ill never buy!!!
Re: Has Sony Been Ripping Off Gamers Since Playstation 1 by Nobody: 12:23am On Jun 04, 2008
by the way mistiky,
microsoft is the one ripping people of this time with all the accesories you require. accessories which come standard on the PS3

the Xbox360 is a rushed system. Microsoft decided to gain major market share by releasing it console earlier than the PS3, hence gamers would have no choice. and it shows. failure rates, a DVD drive, they couldnt even decide to make HD standard.
Re: Has Sony Been Ripping Off Gamers Since Playstation 1 by texazzpete(m): 7:19pm On Jun 04, 2008
khai_khai:

by the way mistiky,
microsoft is the one ripping people of this time with all the accesories you require. accessories which come standard on the PS3

the Xbox360 is a rushed system. Microsoft decided to gain major market share by releasing it console earlier than the PS3, hence gamers would have no choice. and it shows. failure rates, a DVD drive, they couldnt even decide to make HD standard.

HD standard?!
Acessories?

Please. the 360 outputs games at 1080p. That's hi-def in case you didn't realise.

Quick question: how many Blu Ray movies do you own?
Re: Has Sony Been Ripping Off Gamers Since Playstation 1 by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jun 04, 2008
texazzpete:

HD standard?!
Acessories?

Please. the 360 outputs games at 1080p. That's hi-def in case you didn't realise.

Quick question: how many Blu Ray movies do you own?

have you heard about the early premium systems and first Xbox360 core systems which was replaced by the Xbox360 arcade??
since it seems you haven't.  The early core systems had no hdmi output. it even came with wired controllers.
so, when there are several SKUs, all of which do not offer hdmi outputs, it is not standard.

also, do not digress. I am not talkin about movies, I am talking about games.
any detailed game will require larger media. MGS4 is an example.
the 8GB+ of a double layer DVD will not cut it in the near future.
there recognized that, hence the option of an external HDDVD player(another accessory).

(1) (Reply)

List Your Xbox User Id For Fifa 10 / Xbox360 For Sale: / Post Andriod Games Here For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.