Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,826 members, 7,882,873 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 05:21 PM

How To Get A House Help In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Get A House Help In Nigeria (5205 Views)

Can You Live In A House Built By Your Wife? / Man Arrested For Abducting, Impregnating House Help / This Is What My House Help Did To Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by Numerouuuno: 11:41pm On Aug 04, 2013
BY ELNATHAN JOHN
God is faithful. He has blessed your hustle with a
husband. You began by going out of your way to
show you were a dutiful Nigerian wife- cooking,
cleaning and never saying no to your husband. God
will meet you at the point of your needs and bless
you for this. However, something is happening to
you. Tiredness is setting in. You feel nauseous and
irritated. The doctor has told you that you are having a baby. This has never happened to you before. (The one that happened in university doesn’t count-anyone who reminds you of this, God will truncate their hustle.) You and your husband agree that you cannot keep up with the house work with this growing human mass in your tummy. It is time for a house help. Your husband has left you to take care of it.
You have many choices. There is the choice of one of
those Gbagyi or other minority Northern young girls
who have been trained to work like horses, want little and show gratitude for whatever they receive. The girl may have thinning brown hair from lack of
nutrition and may look stunted at 12 but trust me
she knows how to fetch water, wash piles of clothes
and sweep endlessly.
You also have the choice of taking the 11year old out-of-wedlock daughter of that distant cousin whom you have never met in your village in Umunede. You had heard that a boy got her pregnant at 14 and ran away thereafter. Since then the daughter has suffered stigma and neglect as well as blocked any chances of your cousin getting a husband. Those village people can be unforgiving.
There is that aunt in the village who promised you
someone to help when you came for your traditional
marriage in the village. You turned down the offer
then. Now is the time to call that aunt and tell her
that the housework will kill you soon. She will laugh
on the other end of the line and tell you not to worry.
You will remind her that you don’t want a boy o! Boys are hard to control. ‘I have heard,’ she will say and in one or two weeks you will receive your package of an awkward prepubescent girl.
Then there is the international connection- the Benin Republic kids. Someone has told you of these young kids from Benin Republic whose salary you will pay to a man who will claim to be their Uncle or cousin.
You do not need a person of legal age, an adult who
will one day kill you all in your sleep, run away with
your children or worse, snatch your husband from
you. Anyone who quotes the Child’s Right Act, and
calls employing anyone under the legal age, child
labour, God will give them paralysis of the mouth.
How else do they want you to get the house work
done?
When the young girl comes, first thing to do is to test her for hepatitis and other infections. You don’t want her bringing diseases into your healthy home. If you must, go to the second hand store and buy her two old dresses. If you don’t have boys quarters, clear out the store so she can sleep there. Otherwise get an old mattress that she will use somewhere in a corner of the living room.
You need to cut her hair. It is better. Both of you should not be struggling to groom your hair.
Anything a small comb can’t do must go. The more
unattractive she looks, the better for you and your
marriage. You can’t trust men these days. No one is
too young for them.
There is no need to waste money sending her to
school. It is not your fault that her parents can’t
afford to. In fact she should be grateful that you are
giving her a rare opportunity to come to the city and make some money. If she spends all her time at
school, when will she do the house work? But if you
absolutely have to, find a cheap school, maybe one
with evening classes she can attend. Something
simple that won’t confuse her about her station in
life.
Discipline: Very important. Sometimes screaming
degrading insults is not enough to put an ungrateful, sloppy house help in line. The phrase “spare the rod and spoil the child” necessarily includes house helps.
Sometimes they get too comfortable. Sometimes
they are possessed. Only a healthy dose of flogging
can rid them of evil spirits or too much comfort.
Watch the food she eats. Especially the meat.
Nothing makes a house help grow wings like
sufficient pieces of meat. Meat has a way of creating a sense of entitlement in a person. You don’t want that to happen.
Don’t make the mistake of allowing the house help
have friends. Whether with the house help next door or with the one in the shop down the street or the one grinding tomatoes near the market. She did not come to your house to play and network. Next thing you know they will connive and do something evil to you.
Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, there comes a time when you must let the house help go.
Instances include when you notice that she has
become a woman and is almost needing the same
bra size as you. Like I said before, men cannot be
trusted. They see breasts and they lose their minds.
You need to be proactive and protect your husband
from himself. Send her away and look for another
prepubescent one to take her place.
Do not go looking for answers where you have no
business looking. If the man who brought a girl from Benin Republic says he is her Uncle, then he is her Uncle. If he says he will hold her salary for her, then he will. The less you know the better.
Do these and God will, through your house help,
lighten your load, and bless your hustle.

2 Likes

Re: How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by Numerouuuno: 11:42pm On Aug 04, 2013
Re: How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by Numerouuuno: 11:44pm On Aug 04, 2013
I just love the writers 'How to' series,its always on point!,kudos to him,its just the bitter-truth.
Re: How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:47am On Aug 05, 2013
The writer just summarized what goes on in every 'madam's'head that has a househelp.insensitive creatures! Both the poor and rich madams,all want to have househelp.
I recently went to c a friend that put to bed.she was staying with d step mother as at d time of delivery.
Stepmom has 4 children.first child is 13yrs. She has a maid of 14yrs old living with her.said that maid was abandoned by her parents in the village and she was staying with her grannie so she took her for the past 7yrs to d city to help her
The maid ended at primary school. She is learning how to sow.But madam's children goes to school and madam is a teacher.
Asked why,madam said that maid' no sabi book'. Maid said she don't want to school again.she want to learn how to sow.
I asked my friend telling me this, if it were to be madam's child, will she accept that she stops school simply bc she isn't brainy?
Can't she try her best with her?Till today,no answer.
I answered my question,she is only but a maid.she should be grateful she is learning how to sow.
A born again christian woman. I reserve my comment.
Realities of life
Re: How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by Numerouuuno: 6:37am On Aug 05, 2013
yellowpawpaw: The writer just summarized what goes on in every 'madam's'head that has a househelp.insensitive creatures! Both the poor and rich madams,all want to have househelp.
I recently went to c a friend that put to bed.she was staying with d step mother as at d time of delivery.
Stepmom has 4 children.first child is 13yrs. She has a maid of 14yrs old living with her.said that maid was abandoned by her parents in the village and she was staying with her grannie so she took her for the past 7yrs to d city to help her
The maid ended at primary school. She is learning how to sow.But madam's children goes to school and madam is a teacher.
Asked why,madam said that maid' no sabi book'. Maid said she don't want to school again.she want to learn how to sow.
I asked my friend telling me this, if it were to be madam's child, will she accept that she stops school simply bc she isn't brainy?
I answered my question,she is only but a maid.she should be grateful she is learning how to sow.
Realities of life
That's the reality of life maam
Its just a message to all parents,don't bring children into this world just to make them suffer because of 5 minutes pleasure.
Most Nigerian house maids are treated like slaves(you can't really blame their masters,cos how can a parent release his child to someone who is struggling to feed his family,its just not possible,its like a liability,hence the frustration which leads to bad treatments of this 'house maids'),and I've also seen some that were so well treated by the bosses.(Common among the rich fellas)
It just depends on the personality of the master.
Parents should take responsibility of their wards
Re: How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by bellong: 9:21am On Aug 05, 2013
yellowpawpaw: The writer just summarized what goes on in every 'madam's'head that has a househelp.insensitive creatures! Both the poor and rich madams,all want to have househelp.
Realities of life

You know Jesus knew that people like this will be rampant in the world before saying "By their fruits, you shall know them..." We live in a generation full of religion and theology. They can quote from Genesis to Revelation offhand but their characters and attitudes are far from their profession. With their mouth, they love God but their hearts are far away from Him.

When you see someone who is truly redeemed, he/she needs not tell you his/her profession of faith. The fruits and actions will surely testify of who he is. I don't get carried away by people who attend church or are tongue-blasting, bible-quoting brother without fruits of the spirit to show for it.

@Topic,

I always like the satirical style of Elnathan since I first read one of his works titled "The Nigerian gods..." or something like that. He has a way of passing deep seated meanings from his writings to the audience.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:13pm On Aug 05, 2013
Yes u r right Mr bellong.
My good friend(a deeper life member) relocated from the north with a young gal of 20 and her family.
Till date pple thought the gal is her younger sis.the children call her aunty.I call her madam. She came from a very poor background and used to help her in her poultry biz.when she and her family want to relocate,she begged to follow. She has her own room. At times I used to yab my friend that her gal dresses better than her.my friend will say why not,that is how it should be,she is in d market,I'm not so I gat to kit her very well.
The gal is finding it hard copin with school work cos its a diff ball game entirely compared to where she came from but my friend is teaching and helping her.
The husband promised to train her in d uni.
I've know this woman for up to 2 yrs now and I will say she has not for one day opened her mouth to tell pple her gal is a maid. She said she can't do that cos she don't want pple to start looking down on the gal.She travelled to her place last xmas and the children were all crying.Bought a handset for her to be communicatin with her family.My friend has a retail shop.This gal come to d shop only on sat and during holidays.On sats so my friend can take care of the house.I've seen my friend asking the gal to lend her money(her own money!)
She said the gal can save money more than her.Infact,I can go on and on.She is just a practicing christian. God will bless her for that.
If others r like this,who will be complaining? I just pray that these pple end up in good hands if at all they r to live with somebody.
Re: How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by bellong: 12:21pm On Aug 05, 2013
^^^ That is a good testimony of someone living what she professes. Do unto others as you want to be treated. I pray God help her to the end
Re: How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by Numerouuuno: 12:30pm On Aug 05, 2013
bellong:

You know Jesus knew that people like this will be rampant in the world before saying "By their fruits, you shall know them..." We live in a generation full of religion and theology. They can quote from Genesis to Revelation offhand but their characters and attitudes are far from their profession. With their mouth, they love God but their hearts are far away from Him.

When you see someone who is truly redeemed, he/she needs not tell you his/her profession of faith. The fruits and actions will surely testify of who he is. I don't get carried away by people who attend church or are tongue-blasting, bible-quoting brother without fruits of the spirit to show for it.

@Topic,

I always like the satirical style of Elnathan since I first read one of his works titled "The Nigerian gods..." or something like that. He has a way of passing deep seated meanings from his writings to the audience.
That's true,by there fruit,you shall know them.its very true.
Elnathan is a great writer,N̶̲̥̅̊☺ doubt
Re: How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by Numerouuuno: 12:35pm On Aug 05, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Yes u r right Mr bellong.
My good friend(a deeper life member) relocated from the north with a young gal of 20 and her family.
Till date pple thought the gal is her younger sis.the children call her aunty.I call her madam. She came from a very poor background and used to help her in her poultry biz.when she and her family want to relocate,she begged to follow. She has her own room. At times I used to yab my friend that her gal dresses better than her.my friend will say why not,that is how it should be,she is in d market,I'm not so I gat to kit her very well.
The gal is finding it hard copin with school work cos its a diff ball game entirely compared to where she came from but my friend is teaching and helping her.
The husband promised to train her in d uni.
I've know this woman for up to 2 yrs now and I will say she has not for one day opened her mouth to tell pple her gal is a maid. She said she can't do that cos she don't want pple to start looking down on the gal.She travelled to her place last xmas and the children were all crying.Bought a handset for her to be communicatin with her family.My friend has a retail shop.This gal come to d shop only on sat and during holidays.On sats so my friend can take care of the house.I've seen my friend asking the gal to lend her money(her own money!)
She said the gal can save money more than her.Infact,I can go on and on.She is just a practicing christian. God will bless her for that.
If others r like this,who will be complaining? I just pray that these pple end up in good hands if at all they r to live with somebody.
Your friend is actually one of the very few good ones,she's a 'rare specie' in today's world where other 'madams' maltreat
their house maids.
Re: How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by babestell(f): 3:37pm On Aug 06, 2013
Poverty is real bad, really bad. But whether or not we agree, this kind of arrangement has helped a lot of people get a chance at a better life. Nothing compares with staying with your parents but no every body has an opportunity for that. We may argue and complain and curse men/women who have live in maids but until Nigeria changes for the better this practice will continue. My cousin was trained through to university by the family she lived with, her sister unfortunately was nearly beaten to death by her own family. Thank God that they are well settled now to train their younger ones if not those ones would have gone to live with people too.
Lets fix Naija first, where every child is sure of education/health services and we have social services to support the less privilege. Where people give birth to the number of children they can handle and/or dont give birth till they can afford it.
Re: How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by bellong: 4:27pm On Aug 06, 2013
To me, it is not having maid that is bad. It is the bad treatment meted out to them that is condemnable. There are people who practically raised their maids like their own children. That is what should be encouraged when having a maid.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by EfemenaXY: 5:04pm On Aug 06, 2013
Going by the plethora of violent treatments metted out to vulnerable, young, female househelps, I'm beginning to wonder: What happens to those that physically manage to survive the brutal treatments dished out to them by their so called 'madams'?

Obviously, many of them would have been scarred beyond repair, emotionally, as the violence towards them would have started from a very young age... as early as 3 and 4 years of age, going by the recent threads and reports here. So my question here is, what happens when these maids do eventually leave their madams homes, get married and have kids of their own?

They in turn would be just as wicked because violence and wickedness would be the only things they know, having grown up with such day-in-and-day-out. I don't think I'll be off the mark to say that these heartless madams committing atrocities like:

~ Chopping off a maids toes for not opening the gate on time
~ Pressing hot irons on maids for daring to eat a piece of meat from her cooking pot et al

Were one maids or housegirls themselves.

Circle of violence it is.
Re: How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by Numerouuuno: 6:19pm On Aug 06, 2013
^^^
The solution still lies in Family planning.
Parents should only 'produce' what they can maintain and stop exposing innocent children to dangers in the name of Madams!!
Re: How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by EfemenaXY: 6:27pm On Aug 06, 2013
^^ And I maintain that the psychic of these 'madams' should be looked into more closely.

Where does all that violence and hate within them stem from? Sure, family planning is one way to look at it, but it's not all inclusive. It's not just those who've bred too many kids that give them up for slavery housegirl / houseboy work. Some are victims of unforeseen circumstances like losing a parent untimely to death.

Do we not have a thread on here about a man who lost his wife to death and he, about the same time lost his accommodation? Did he not have just two kids evenly spaced out? A 3 year old and 9 year old? And yet, he had no choice but to leave them in the care of his brother and the brother's wife - who eventually killed the 3 year old baby??

What was the back ground of that brother's wife? She too might have been a house girl to some other madam who was just as evil. Only difference is, she survived...but this baby here didn't. Sometimes, it helps to get to the root cause of the problem and treat it from there, rather than focus on the symptoms. You'll only end up going round and round in endless circles.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by mgbeketoto: 10:25pm On Aug 06, 2013
They ALWAYS END UP PREGNANT!!!! grin
By MEGHADS AND DRIVERS!!!

My papa don die Tay-Tay!!!
Hallelujah!!!!!

Getting a MALE house help?

TUFIIIIIIIAKWA!!!! kiss
Re: How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:05pm On Aug 06, 2013
this topis disgusts me

can't you help/train a child without making them a maid/slave in your home - tomorrow people will claim they are christian.
Re: How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by EfemenaXY: 11:12pm On Aug 06, 2013
^^ People acquire these under aged children and get away with maltreating them because supply outstrips demand AND there are no hard-hitting child protecting welfare / social services like we've got here.

Additionally, if they had to pay through the nose...exhorbitant prices for house maid services like it is here, then it'll be a completely different story. There are many Nigerians over here, some of which go back home to get househelps to 'aid' them with chores over here.

Would these madams dare maltreat those maids here? Do they have any choice in not to send them to school? Are they not powerless when these maids gain 'open eye' eventually?

My dear, no need for long story jare.
Re: How To Get A House Help In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jan 17, 2020
bellong:
To me, it is not having maid that is bad. It is the bad treatment meted out to them that is condemnable. There are people who practically raised their maids like their own children. That is what should be encouraged when having a maid.

I see an odd irony.. bad madame get innocent maids and good madams get evil maids.

Coming from a poor background should not turn one's heart to evil. if a maid gets a job where the employees treat her like family, guest to evening school, wears good clothes and gets paid more than some desk jobs, should they not be grateful? I have been through the absolute worst of them.

Sad thing is when you come across them.later in life, they are no better than they were when you last saw them. poverty mentality corrupts the mind fro. acting right

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mixed Baale Okirika Sharing / Lovers Of Hymnal,can U Join Me? / Would You Let Your Spouse Change You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.