Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,852 members, 7,969,557 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 10:03 AM

Desperate To Leave Your Job? Avoid These Fatal Mistakes - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Desperate To Leave Your Job? Avoid These Fatal Mistakes (684 Views)

''the Money Or Continue Your Job Hunt Another Place'' / Secure Your Job With These Habits. / Dont Attend Any Interview Until You Know These Fatal Mistakes You Must Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Desperate To Leave Your Job? Avoid These Fatal Mistakes by determino: 4:06am On May 31, 2008
Desperate To Leave Your Job? Avoid These Fatal Mistakes

If you are not satisfied with your current job, you may be tempted to quit right away. However, this may not be a smart career move - and you should leave your present job only after you find a new one. When you’re looking for a new job, don’t burn any bridges along the way, because it is imperative to still maintain a cordial relationship with your current employers.
Keep It Covert
Most people make the mistake of letting it be known that they are miserable in their current job. Doing this gives the boss a big red flag that you may be ready to jump ship and seek your fortune elsewhere. No matter how awful you may feel, do not let on that you have already ‘checked out’ mentally. Everything needs to go on as it always has. Don’t give your current employer a chance to fire you, or worse, give you a bad reference.
Even if you are really, truly unhappy, you need to keep your wits about you and remain calm so you can think. Do you really want your current employer to know you’re looking? Think about it.
Get Off That Phone – Especially If It’s Not Yours
When you really hate your current job, you’ll do whatever it takes to get out. Understandable. But let’s be smart in the deal. Do not use the office phone to call prospective employers or let them call you. You run the risk of a colleague overhearing your ‘business’ conversation – and before you know it, word is all over the office that Johnny is looking for a new job.
If you are looking for a new job, it’s your business, and no one else’s – keep it that way by using your cellphone (outside on your break) or waiting until you get home to make that phone call.
Interview On Your Own Time
The time will inevitably come when you’ll have to go on interviews. That said, it is not smart to take long lunches, extended breaks and lots of sick days in a row to attend job interviews. This is the surest way to attract unwanted attention. If you must, schedule a vacation day well in advance of the interview date – even better, try to schedule a few interviews on the same vacation day to kill two birds with one stone.
Looking for a job when you’re desperate to leave your current one isn’t easy. It takes patience and planning. Keep a cool head and you’ll land a great new job sooner than you think.
Re: Desperate To Leave Your Job? Avoid These Fatal Mistakes by kufreabasi(m): 1:45pm On May 31, 2008
determino, this is a very good advice from you
Re: Desperate To Leave Your Job? Avoid These Fatal Mistakes by sorp(m): 2:35pm On May 31, 2008
yes the advice is good, but in my own case without getting a job and when i was pressed by harrassment in my past job i had to leave.
The boss was begging me to stay, i said no. infact he understand that i do not have another job, he said he does not want me to be stranded.
he desired to know why i wish to leave, i told him i need a break, he said he can give me a break of a month if i so desired. I said no i just want to go.
When he knew i had made up my mind, he signed my letter!

(1) (Reply)

Bank Phb Study Loan: What About It? / Ccna,ccnp,ccip Videos Nd Dumps------------- All You Need To Pass(08035963873 / Immigration Test Of B.sc Holders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.