Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,690 members, 7,945,124 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 11:34 AM

30 Lawyers Set To Battle Anambra Govt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 30 Lawyers Set To Battle Anambra Govt (1027 Views)

Anambra Govt. Announces 185bn Naira Debt Burden From Previous Administration / Anambra Govt To Chase Non-indigene Okada Riders From State / Kidnapping: Anambra Govt. Demolishes Church,3 Other Building (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

30 Lawyers Set To Battle Anambra Govt by Nobody: 4:43pm On Aug 05, 2013
No fewer than 30 lawyers have indicated their willingness to challenge the demolition of the Upper Class Hotel, Onitsha, owned by Chief Bonaventure Mokwe, on the orders of the Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi.

The governor last Friday ordered the demolition following the discovery of two human heads and some firearms in the hotel, located at the Old Market Road, Onitsha, last Thursday.

The lawyers, in their separate petitions to the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioner of Police, Anambra State, described the demolition as "hasty and a display of jungle justice."

Leading the lawyers were Dr. M. Umenweke and F. Ibeh.

The lawyers, who said Mokwe was known in Onitsha, added that there was no proper investigation before the demolition took place.

They said they would approach the High Court in Onitsha on Monday (today) to enforce Mokwe's fundamental rights as guaranteed by law.

In one of the petitions entitled, 'A trump up allegation against Chief Bonaventure Mokwe,' Kachi Bielu and Co. appealed to the police leadership to organise a full scale investigation into the matter in order to unravel the persons behind the "frame up" against their client.

It read, "It is our instruction to appeal to you to use your good offices to send a crack team from the Force Criminal Investigation Department or the monitoring unit and transfer the case to a police formation, where the case will be properly handled and investigated."

Also, Umenweke and Ibeh, leading over 30 other lawyers, described as stage-managed the "arrest, detention and humiliation" of Mokwe.

The lawyers alleged that some people "smuggled" the human skulls into the premises in order to incriminate the hotel proprietor.

They further demanded to know who made the complaint to the police and why government should demolish the hotel, which they said was Mokwe's only evidence.
http://odili.net/news/source/2013/aug/5/811.html
Re: 30 Lawyers Set To Battle Anambra Govt by CyberG: 4:46pm On Aug 05, 2013
This will be interesting, getting popcorn and soda! grin grin It seems Obi likes to talk and give orders before thinking! If this happened elsewhere, the pages would be at 100 by now.
Re: 30 Lawyers Set To Battle Anambra Govt by Acidosis(m): 5:03pm On Aug 05, 2013
30 Lawyers?? grin

Na wa o, joblessness everywhere...

grin

2 Likes

Re: 30 Lawyers Set To Battle Anambra Govt by FRDChickenisha: 5:08pm On Aug 05, 2013
Look at the ugly ngga. That face could make a mother puke.

1 Like

Re: 30 Lawyers Set To Battle Anambra Govt by Nobody: 5:08pm On Aug 05, 2013
CyberG: This will be interesting, getting popcorn and soda! grin grin It seems Obi likes to talk and give orders before thinking! If this happened elsewhere, the pages would be at 100 by now.
Acidosis: 30 Lawyers?? grin
Na wa o, joblessness everywhere...

grin
LWKMD grin grin

Seriously, Peter Obi shouldn't have ordered the demolition without due process. 14 years of civil rule is long enough to re-orientate the political class from the SOP of a military dictatorship.
Re: 30 Lawyers Set To Battle Anambra Govt by sweettease(f): 5:09pm On Aug 05, 2013
When i saw the demolition news, i was surprised! No trial, no conviction, nothing! Yet governors like him will come out to condemn those unjust jungle justice killings that's happening, like they are any better!
I bet he would have done the same thing those badagry policemen did if he had been in their shoes
Re: 30 Lawyers Set To Battle Anambra Govt by FRDChickenisha: 5:13pm On Aug 05, 2013
Jesus Christ, What were they doing with human skulls?
Re: 30 Lawyers Set To Battle Anambra Govt by nedufantasy(m): 5:18pm On Aug 05, 2013
He has been doing it since last year,so their own shouldnt be different just because the wife of the man is a lawyer,oshomole is also doing the same in edo and its unlawful.even if the lawyers succeed in court the money obi will pay as compersation will come from the bag of anambra.i wonder who is loosing
Re: 30 Lawyers Set To Battle Anambra Govt by pandriod: 5:36pm On Aug 05, 2013
Peter Obi the lying tout has been caught red handed displaying thuggery.
Re: 30 Lawyers Set To Battle Anambra Govt by magnetik(m): 7:50pm On Aug 05, 2013
His Decision to demolish the hotel was too harsh and hasty, what if the issue was a set up... i sensed that when i read d demolition story.
Re: 30 Lawyers Set To Battle Anambra Govt by bestview: 8:09pm On Aug 05, 2013
Haters gonna hate anyways..

1 Like

Re: 30 Lawyers Set To Battle Anambra Govt by Abagworo(m): 8:13pm On Aug 05, 2013
magnetik: His Decision to demolish the hotel was too harsh and hasty, what if the issue was a set up... i sensed that when i read d demolition story.

60% of these ritual related cases in Nigeria turn out being set up. An example is the popular Otokoto saga and recently the man who was accused of killing and embalming his mother. Your enemies can go any length to get at you and my fear is that the Governor might have acted on populist sentiments knowing fully well that many archaeic Nigerians believe in ritual money.

(1) (Reply)

Gov Ahmed Of New PDP Faction Vows To Crush Factions In Kwara Chapter / The New Police College / FRAUD: DSS Parades Fake Boko Haram Member In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.