Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,183 members, 7,910,228 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 10:17 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1117) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6096121 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1114) (1115) (1116) (1117) (1118) (1119) (1120) ... (2861) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:41am On Apr 24, 2017
EMAK35 was a externally driven gun developed for the original project hoefyster back in the early 90's. Semi auto only unlike the 35DPG/GA35
The 35mm round is massive compared to the 30mm and has almost 2x the muzzle energy as legacy 30mm's.

Here's a PDF on the development of the GAMA. There's a model of a A-109 with it mounted in the chin.

MikeCZA:
Was the EMAK-35 developed or based from the SPAAG'S 35mm guns. They produced muzzle velocity almost the same as the EMAK-30.

They also had the GAMA I wonder if the Rooivalk was the reason for it to be thrown into the freezer too. As there was no need to mount weapons on the A109 LUH to replace the Alloute gunships.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:45am On Apr 24, 2017
35mm size

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Adminisher: 5:49am On Apr 24, 2017
Stephandeswardt:

For once we are buying the full option aircraft.....not a basic model

Thank you that you noticed.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Adminisher: 6:01am On Apr 24, 2017
[quote author=tdayof post=55826337][/quote]

These L 39 ZAs. Nigeria should upgrade all to NG standard and buy six more. It is the cheapest military aircraft in the world that nobody can sanction you on. The parts are sold by more than 60 companies in 10 countries. The plane is also cheap to operate and it will shoot anything you the ground as long as you keep below 1500kg.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 6:03am On Apr 24, 2017
Hrmnn:

I completely agree the lack of a dedicated assault gun/infantry support variant is not the most pressing concern for the Badger fleet since the Rooikat can be used in that role.

However, according to my understanding that's not the Rooikat's job. It is supposed to provide reconnaissance and undertake flanking actions as needed, not spend all its time backing up the Badgers and infantry.

The Rooikat was not designed as a replacement for the Ratel-90's role and shouldn't be regarded as such.

Incidentally, you mentioned substituting what we already have...that shouldn't be an issue if one puts the existing 90mm turret on the Badger.

That dinosaur turret going on the brand-new Badger, I refuse grin

However, you shouldn't forget how the Ratel 90 was born out of a "High Mobility" doctrine especially designed to dash into Angola and leave as quickly as possible. The fire support vehicle should have matched the speed of the assaulting IFVs and the APCs so putting the 90mm on the Ratel platform made sense.

Now, notice how the 90mm was becoming un-useful when the war was becoming conventional? Notice how the Olifants were brought into war to deal with heavy armour? So the question is, would the SANDF ever secretly dash into any neighboring territory for targets and comeback? No not likely to happen. If we invade another country, it would be a formal war where the Olifants would spearheaded the assault.

Would we use a Ratel 90 in some central African country like CAR? It wouldn't survive, it's light skinned and those dudes love their RPGs.

NB: Please notice how the Ratel 90 is absent in this assault formation (deliberately so)

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 6:07am On Apr 24, 2017
oyinpr:
see my eyes filled with tears of joy...Gentlemen plsss 3 hearty Cheers for my father's Airforce
34:50 so lit.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 7:31am On Apr 24, 2017
Hrmnn:

I'd generally agree with this sentiment.

The Brazilians created a pretty good turret which mated a 90mm gun to an ATGM launcher and I wished that was the way the Badger would go.

The 60mm gun-mortar is useless against dug in troops, buildings, static fortifications, and other "hard targets" which is why a large calibre weapons system capable of fulfilling the assault gun type role would be more useful.

However, the mortar can indeed be used in that role if it were up-gunned and capable of firing HEAT ammunition like the LAV-M with the British 120mm mortar by Delco and Royal Ordnance. This thing has been used by the Saudis in Yemen and capable of flattening structures, older tanks, and infantry alike. It's both an assault gun and a mortar.

Actually I thought that Denel would go for something like that if they really wanted a multipurpose mortar for the Badger, it really surprised me when I heard they were sticking with a longer barrelled 60mm.

Pictures of the Brazilian turret (first two) and the LAV-M mortar combination (second two) below:

The badger 60 will do a better job at Fire support than the Ratel 60. The bagder 60 round is 85% as lethal as a 81mm mortar with 10km indirect range. All so it cant really up gun it with out reducing troop carry capacity. Tge ratel 60 is typicaly the platoon leader vechile. I do t see that changing.

If it could be done fiting rooikat turrets to a. Badger would be the best choice.

What would be nice is getti g 120 AMOS sytem.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 7:52am On Apr 24, 2017
Adminisher:

Thank you that you noticed.

According to this BBC article our Tucano is coming with "very basic configuration".
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-39564855

That would be a very bad deal. I want top echelon at NAF to reject any attempt to ridicule us by selling substandard product to us. A no deal is better than bad deal!

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 7:56am On Apr 24, 2017
Xbee007:

According to this BBC article our Tucano is coming with "very basic configuration".
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-39564855

That would be a very bad deal. I want top echelon at NAF to reject any attempt to ridicule us by selling substandard product to us. A no deal is better than bad deal!
A source told me they're to come with guided bombs and some kits.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:12am On Apr 24, 2017
oyinpr:
see my eyes filled with tears of joy...Gentlemen plsss 3 hearty Cheers for my father's Airforce

After watching that documentary, I retired to bed and slept really well. It's an amazingly brilliantly put documentary.

Everything you want to see in a documentary.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 24, 2017
LTGEN:

Very professionally​ done
Nigerian Army
Nigerian Navy
Take note
God bless the NAF
God bless the Federal Govt of Nigeria
Amen .

I told you guys, the director who shot the movie "76", was in-charge. I knew it was going to come out brilliantly.

The Nigerian Army on particular needs to learn. They are still doing things like they are in the 90s.

Good Bless our Republic.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:19am On Apr 24, 2017
Adminisher:

It took Nigeria so loooooong to weaponise a trainer/ ground attack jet. This is the real Boko killer if Good targeting systems are added

It is very well weaponised. I kinda feel like perhaps instead of going for the Tucano, we should have just go for 26 units of L-15 instead.

We would soon have to replace both the Alpha jets and L-39s.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:23am On Apr 24, 2017
Henry240:
Nigerian Air Force locally built Gulma UAV

Platform profile

Maximum Take-Off weight - 40kg
Maximum Altitude - 10,000ft
Cruising speed - 88.5 Knots
Endurance - 8 hours
Range - 223 km
Engine - 17hp
Structure - fully composite
Flight - Day and Night capable
Avionics -

Brilliant UAV, I love it! cool cool

The Gulma is an excellent platform. I'm so pleased with how it turned out.

Gulma GCS is a Nigerian built Innoson mini-bus.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:24am On Apr 24, 2017
Nigerian Air Force Day Celebration

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:26am On Apr 24, 2017
Nigerian Air Force MI-35m

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:29am On Apr 24, 2017
Nigerian Air Force Special Operations Command flag

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:30am On Apr 24, 2017

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:34am On Apr 24, 2017
Equipment used by Nigerian Air Force Special Operations Forces

- Equipment used by Forward Air Controllers(FAC) for guiding Bombs/Air strikes

- Night Vision Equipment

- Personnel Rifle's(CTAR-21 and a Beryl M762)

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:48am On Apr 24, 2017
a trip in a sukhoi 30 MKA , algerian air force

we can see the TV guidance of the KH-29TE missile displayed on LCD used to see the ship at 02:29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNM5jmCP07U
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:07am On Apr 24, 2017
Nigerian Air Force Day Celebration

Nigeria Air Force "Tigers" Pilots

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:08am On Apr 24, 2017
Nigerian Air Force

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:25am On Apr 24, 2017
Henry240:
Equipment used by Nigerian Air Force Special Operations Forces

- Equipment used by Forward Air Controllers(FAC) for guiding Bombs/Air strikes

- Night Vision Equipment

- Personnel Rifle's(CTAR-21 and a Beryl M762)
Hard cases ! I love to see hard cases grin
Good thing navy chief was at this event, maybe it'll "ginger" him, Rear Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas is also doing a very great job with the navy but in silence, navy PR is not were it should be.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:43am On Apr 24, 2017
jakeporeshenko:

Hard cases ! I love to see hard cases grin
Good thing navy chief was at this event, maybe it'll "ginger" him, Rear Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas is also doing a very great job with the navy but in silence, navy PR is not were it should be.

Who knows, they might just rot out a Javelin from one of those cases, and it's "good bye Vienna".

Considering that the Navy is the most underfunded of all 3 branches, he has done remarkably well. We would have to wait for Navy week to see what's in store.

Navy PR used to be decent back in 2013, today it is almost non-existent.

I thought Army week has passed, until I remembered the Capability Demonstration in Sambisa forest is part of NASAC, a different army event. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I just hope we are surprised with the ARA.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:57am On Apr 24, 2017
The Nigerian Air Force has grown from rolling bombs from the back of an Air Plane in 1963 to an Air Force that can deliver precision guided munitions with it's personnel sitting comfortably 250km away - CAS Abubakar

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:59am On Apr 24, 2017
Henry240:

Who knows, they might just rot out a Javelin from one of those cases, and it's "good bye Vienna".

Considering that the Navy is the most underfunded of all 3 branches, he has done remarkably well. We would have to wait for Navy week to see what's in store.

Navy PR used to be decent back in 2013, today it is almost non-existent.

I thought Army week has passed, until I remembered the Capability Demonstration in Sambisa forest is part of NASAC, a different army event. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I just hope we are surprised with the ARA.
I remember those days the navy had good PR, they'll release videos in vimeo promoting the "No C.O.T" campaign.. good times they were.

At least we know what the navy is up to and likely platforms that'll get delivered in the nearest future, the army is more fixed on reviving those legacy assets acquired in large numbers during the 70's 80's and 90's, apart from the ARA and the air wing do you know of any other army program ?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:21am On Apr 24, 2017
jakeporeshenko:

I remember those days the navy had good PR, they'll release videos in vimeo promoting the "No C.O.T" campaign.. good times they were.

At least we know what the navy is up to and likely platforms that'll get delivered in the nearest future, the army is more fixed on reviving those legacy assets acquired in large numbers during the 70's 80's and 90's, apart from the ARA and the air wing do you know of any other army program ?
Those were the good old days of the Navy.

Apart from the ARA and the Nigerian army air wing, there is no other project i know of. However, i for one would think an Infantry Support Vehicle to replace the Steyr and MT-LB should be the most apparent areas to go.

A mix of tracked and wheeled Infantry Support Vehicles should be the way to go.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by DictatorZAR1: 11:10am On Apr 24, 2017
Henry240:
The Nigerian Air Force has grown from rolling bombs from the back of an Air Plane in 1963 to an Air Force that can deliver precision guided munitions with it's sitting comfortably 250km away - CAS Abubakar

Please substantiate the bold claim @Henry120.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:13am On Apr 24, 2017
Henry240:

Those were the good old days of the Navy.

Apart from the ARA and the Nigerian army air wing, there is no other project i know of. However, i for one would think an Infantry Support Vehicle to replace the Steyr and MT-LB should be the most apparent areas to go.

A mix of tracked and wheeled Infantry Support Vehicles should be the way to go.
The army has a lot of cleaning up to do, standardization of equipment.

•MBT not a mix of East and West like we're doing with the T-72s and Vickers

•IFV (scrap Steyr and MT-LB (never liked the ugly thing anyways))

•Self propelled and towed artillery (mortars included), I don't know what should happen to the Swedish guns.

•short and medium range Air defense.

I believe the COAS understands that pursuing these goals will take some years to achieve so reviving legacy equipment is more of an interim solution for our current threats.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:13am On Apr 24, 2017
DictatorZAR1:

Watch the documentary
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 11:49am On Apr 24, 2017
The pic is of a MOT Bn. doing a assault for media day at Lohatla or De Brug. Don't read too much into those things.

Ideally we should bring some Rooikat out of storage, upgrade and attach to the mech formations as dedicated fire support.

ActivateKruger:

That dinosaur turret going on the brand-new Badger, I refuse grin

However, you shouldn't forget how the Ratel 90 was born out of a "High Mobility" doctrine especially designed to dash into Angola and leave as quickly as possible. The fire support vehicle should have matched the speed of the assaulting IFVs and the APCs so putting the 90mm on the Ratel platform made sense.

Now, notice how the 90mm was becoming un-useful when the war was becoming conventional? Notice how the Olifants were brought into war to deal with heavy armour? So the question is, would the SANDF ever secretly dash into any neighboring territory for targets and comeback? No not likely to happen. If we invade another country, it would be a formal war where the Olifants would spearheaded the assault.

Would we use a Ratel 90 in some central African country like CAR? It wouldn't survive, it's light skinned and those dudes love their RPGs.

NB: Please notice how the Ratel 90 is absent in this assault formation (deliberately so)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Souljaboi1: 12:15pm On Apr 24, 2017
Xbee007:
Is this the NAF documentary you have all been talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9GnghBbIZc

Davide470 you need to see this.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by TrueHeart365(m): 12:42pm On Apr 24, 2017
DictatorZAR1:

it's in the airforce documentary.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1114) (1115) (1116) (1117) (1118) (1119) (1120) ... (2861) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.