Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,886 members, 7,952,600 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 06:57 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1413) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6145396 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1410) (1411) (1412) (1413) (1414) (1415) (1416) ... (2865) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:28am On Sep 26, 2017
the egyptian Latifa Nadi , 1st woman in Africa to fly solo , she earned her pilot’s licence, on 27 September 1933

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:48am On Sep 26, 2017
Algerian1:
the egyptian Latifa Nadi , 1st woman in Africa to fly solo , she earned her pilot’s licence, on 27 September 1933

What about Mary Bailey?
Daughter of Derry Westenra, the fifth Baron Rossmore of Rossmore Castle, Co. Monaghan she married the South African millionaire Abe Bailey in 1911.

Awarded her pilot's licence in 1927, she was the first woman to fly across the Irish Sea.

In 1928 when she was 38 years old, with 5 children, she made an epic solo flight from Croydon to Cape Town and back. She saw this act as a gesture of female independence and of faith in light aircraft.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:55am On Sep 26, 2017
frumentius:

What about Mary Bailey?

she was from United Kingdom no ? from wiki born in Ireland from british parents , so she cant be considered as african
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:00am On Sep 26, 2017
andrewza:

If I Remer that was a transport aircraft. This entire debate has been about fighter jets. So keep things grounded. I am sure they would send another transport aircraft to SADC mission.

All I am saying is that I can not get a loan if my debt is 50% of my budget

That's my point. Naf is busy and there fighters are stretched.
Hence i added the Gambia example to prove my case further. The distance from Nigeria to Gambia is much more than from Nigeria to Angola.

NAF is stretched as it is, however NAF still deploys outside the country if required.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 11:26am On Sep 26, 2017
andrewza:

Our provinces all have there own budgets and revenue stream. So what's your point. Defence budget comes from federal government my statement was that Nigeria does not have the money to fly there jets to SA to take part in war games and same with SAAF. Maybe if Nigeria was not fighting a war NAF could afford to waste money to join the annual SADC air force war games.

All so I do not see the states budgets adding much if your federal government all ready has all most 50% of its budget being loan money.

I see the jingoists are at it again. Southie ego can't just be massaged. The chief mega-lomaniac frummie and the the side-kick andrewza and their appendages continue to hype about non-existent prowess subtly to run others down. Everyone knows the truth which is SANDF capabilities only exist on paper. If u calmed down u bet we might just allow u a moment in the sun.

Didn't you read the scholarly lecture from Nigeria's Chief of Air Staff? Or as usual u turn a blind eye. Save for air-air refueling, Nigeria still has force projection capabilities even to SA if there is a peculiar need as in the case of Gambia despite heavy involvement on the home front. Money is not our problem. Fuel is not our problem. We have shown capacity and strike capability in the past, in the present and if need be in the future. That's a fact validated by NAF as I've alluded here many times that the Nigerian Air Force can deploy on multiple centers of war.

Nigeria is a federation with nigh-independent governing entities of the centre in Abuja with full paraphernalia of office and budgets at it's own discretion. Yours is a unitary system whose revenues, budgets and administration are centralized. Nigeria's informal output alone trumps your whole economy by the billions. Understand that our formal economy is by far larger than yours and Nigeria's economy alone will total about 50% of Africa's output in some 20 years on present trajectory. That's the reality and would be reality. Nigeria is beyond your matrix of power. Don't compare us ok! We have challenges, but so do others. We don't share potentials. Never will.

Stop insulting us. We set you free. That's the history.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:27am On Sep 26, 2017
kikuyu1:

Highly trained Elites,true specops are always a boon to any formation. However imo,it shouldn't be the prime objective of every army. I refer to the smaller gendarme type armies eg Cote de Ivoire which has suffered 2 mutinies in a year and has a 'specops' unit. Do you have any idea the training cost of a trained operator?
That figure includes all the equipment,training and live rounds,medical,food etc etc civvies can only guess at.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAL_Team_Six
Obviously one asks-are these real operators like the SA Recces or just random niggas with fancy patches? Also,will France,the reemergent neo colonial controller of the post Gbagbo era train real operators?

Looking at the Ivorian army order of inventory:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_of_the_Republic_of_Ivory_Coast

they're short ALL warfighting platforms. They don't even have MBTs! AFvs and MRAPs are few and far between while tac air and transport are totally absent-is a specops force a priority at this point? HELL NO!?
Ideally,they should[b] properly train and equip[/b] regular infantry forces and then consider establishing elite units.
I agree with you regarding ivory coast, seems special forces is a trending bragging right now world wide.
even Isis has Special forces grin grin

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 12:25pm On Sep 26, 2017
kikuyu1:

Highly trained Elites,true specops are always a boon to any formation. However imo,it shouldn't be the prime objective of every army. I refer to the smaller gendarme type armies eg Cote de Ivoire which has suffered 2 mutinies in a year and has a 'specops' unit. Do you have any idea the training cost of a trained operator?
That figure includes all the equipment,training and live rounds,medical,food etc etc civvies can only guess at.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAL_Team_Six
Obviously one asks-are these real operators like the SA Recces or just random niggas with fancy patches? Also,will France,the reemergent neo colonial controller of the post Gbagbo era train real operators?

Looking at the Ivorian army order of inventory:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_of_the_Republic_of_Ivory_Coast

they're short ALL warfighting platforms. They don't even have MBTs! AFvs and MRAPs are few and far between while tac air and transport are totally absent-is a specops force a priority at this point? HELL NO!?
Ideally,they should[b] properly train and equip[/b] regular infantry forces and then consider establishing elite units.
They could be a military SWAT for all we know
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 12:52pm On Sep 26, 2017
Henry240:

Nigeria is a federation. Federal government budget is not state government budget, neither is it the local government budget.

That simply means the figures do not represent facts.

"your facts dont represent my reality!"

Post-modernism really pulled a number on you didnt it?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 12:53pm On Sep 26, 2017
Covert1:

I see the jingoists are at it again. Southie ego can't just be massaged. The chief mega-lomaniac frummie and the the side-kick andrewza and their appendages continue to hype about non-existent prowess subtly to run others down. Everyone knows the truth which is SANDF capabilities only exist on paper. If u calmed down u bet we might just allow u a moment in the sun.

Didn't you read the scholarly lecture from Nigeria's Chief of Air Staff? Or as usual u turn a blind eye. Save for air-air refueling, Nigeria still has force projection capabilities even to SA if there is a peculiar need as in the case of Gambia despite heavy involvement on the home front. Money is not our problem. Fuel is not our problem. We have shown capacity and strike capability in the past, in the present and if need be in the future. That's a fact validated by NAF as I've alluded here many times that the Nigerian Air Force can deploy on multiple centers of war.

Nigeria is a federation with nigh-independent governing entities of the centre in Abuja with full paraphernalia of office and budgets at it's own discretion. Yours is a unitary system whose revenues, budgets and administration are centralized. Nigeria's informal output alone trumps your whole economy by the billions. Understand that our formal economy is by far larger than yours and Nigeria's economy alone will total about 50% of Africa's output in some 20 years on present trajectory. That's the reality and would be reality. Nigeria is beyond your matrix of power. Don't compare us ok! We have challenges, but so do others. We don't share potentials. Never will.

How the hell will you project air power to South Africa? From what base will you operate that gives you the range?

Do you have any prove of this billions of money over South Africa? I provided a link that shows SA budget is 5 times larger than yours. It your job to dispute this with facts. All you doing here in chest beating in a vain attempt to look bigger.

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 12:57pm On Sep 26, 2017
Covert1:

Go home augustine, you're drunk

10 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 12:57pm On Sep 26, 2017
Covert1:

No china, Zimbabwe will have a GDP half of all Africa combined. It will be so because I say so.

So you claim to have more money than South Africa? Then show it to us. Show us your national budget then we will show you ours. Thank you.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 1:14pm On Sep 26, 2017
Reposting an old favorite of mine.

I love it for so many reasons, the way the SANDF secures their helmets when they arent wearing it is unique and kinda old school, her Pat83 webbing is full of gear - which is great, because Pat83 can be very ugly when loose and baggy, then there is the way she is holding her R4 and finally, its a chick but she manages to have a great military bearing

Sure there could be military criticisms of the pic, but from a purely aesthetic view-point, its amazing

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:23pm On Sep 26, 2017
Algerian1:

yes after google verification its the same compagny KBP Instrument Design Bureau based in Tula, that designed the Bumerang-BM turret for T-15 Armata heavy IFV , Kurganets-25 , Bumerang platforms and for our berezhok Bmp upgrade.
This is it on the Bummerang. The Berezhok.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 1:24pm On Sep 26, 2017
patches689:
Reposting an old favorite of mine.

I love it for so many reasons, the way the SANDF secures their helmets when they arent wearing it is unique and kinda old school, her Pat83 webbing is full of gear - which is great, because Pat83 can be very ugly when loose and baggy, then there is the way she is holding her R4 and finally, its a chick but she manages to have a great military bearing

Sure there could be military criticisms of the pic, but from a purely aesthetic view-point, its amazing

Yeah, old school patrol.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 3:59pm On Sep 26, 2017
The STF deployed in an East Rand township at the times of the pre-94 election violence.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 4:14pm On Sep 26, 2017
GreenandGold:
The STF deployed in an East Rand township at the times of the pre-94 election violence.

Exceptional picture quality for a pre 94 cam. I'm impressed.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:22pm On Sep 26, 2017
GreenandGold:
No offence intended, but i usually find it weird that there were Black members of a supposedly White racist government security tool.

How did this work out, and how were these Black members perceived in their communities?

I can see 1 Black security member in this photo.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 26, 2017
Henry240:

No offence intended, but i usually find it weird that there were Black members of a supposedly White racist government security tool.

How did this work out, and how were these Black members perceived in their communities?

i am not answering ur above question

but would just like to add here

in the intel community most of the HUMINT and termination actions against jihadis r done by members of the same faith.

difference of mindset is a boon and flaw at the same time aka what can kill u can also save u.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 26, 2017
nemesis4u:

in the intel community most of the HUMINT and termination actions against jihadis r done by members of the same faith.
Which is not unusual. We share the same faith doesn't mean we share the same ideology.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:40pm On Sep 26, 2017
Henry240:

Which is not unusual. We share the same faith doesn't mean we share the same ideology.

now what u said should in a loose way help u understand the answer to ur previous question wink
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 26, 2017
nemesis4u:

now what u said should in a loose way help u understand the answer to ur previous question wink
I had thought about it from that angle but it doesn't suit, hence my questions. Even an individual is immune, his direct family members, wife and children, mother, father are not.

We are talking about a system sanctioned government targeting which cannot be applied with terrorism.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 4:46pm On Sep 26, 2017
[quote author=Covert1 post=60844285]

Save for air-air refueling, Nigeria still has force projection capabilities even to SA if there is a peculiar need as in the case of Gambia despite heavy involvement on the home front

I'm neutral in the whole Naij vs RSA thing but pls elaborate. You do know Gambia is practically next door. Or maybe your def of 'force projection' differs from mine!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 4:50pm On Sep 26, 2017
Henry240:

Not uncommon for the era.

The Rhodesian army, for example, was majority black for allmost the entirety of the war and if you excluded conscripts the old SADF had a major component of black soldiers. The number 40% sticks in my head for some reason.

As for the police, they too had huge black, indian and colored components. Jacob Zuma's father was an Apartheid era policeman.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:53pm On Sep 26, 2017
Henry240:

We are talking about a system sanctioned government targeting which cannot be applied with terrorism.

the bolded part

sir did u ever wonder how terrorism survives in many countries

mighty impossible without a state sponsored ecosystem which feeds and sustains them

the 'state' here is external and to some extent internal grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:55pm On Sep 26, 2017
nemesis4u:

the bolded part

sir did u ever wonder
I'm not much of a conspiracy theoriest, so without verifiable acceptable evidence it doesn't apply.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 4:55pm On Sep 26, 2017
Henry240:

I took a precaution when I posted these particular pictures. The precision here is that these particular police were deployed for peace keeping in this instance. There was a political meltdown between the ANC the rival IFP political parties. They were there to monitor the situation as it was already fatal.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 4:58pm On Sep 26, 2017
Nigerdeltaboi:
I agree with you regarding ivory coast, seems special forces is a trending bragging right now world wide.
even Isis has Special forces grin grin

They were behind the January mutiny,btw.

Ivorian special forces troops fired in the air in towns in the north and south of the country on Tuesday, weeks after soldiers and security forces mutinied over pay in the west African nation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-4200236/Shots-fired-angry-troops-I-Coast-army-barracks-town.html
Specops? I think not! Also their French trainers will never give them true specops capability for obvious reasons.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 5:07pm On Sep 26, 2017
Henry240:

The same as you guys always brag about serving under the British in WW2 and Asia.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 5:14pm On Sep 26, 2017
patches689:

Not uncommon for the era.

The Rhodesian army, for example, was majority black for allmost the entirety of the war and if you excluded conscripts the old SADF had a major component of black soldiers. The number 40% sticks in my head for some reason.

As for the police, they too had huge black, indian and colored components. Jacob Zuma's father was an Apartheid era policeman.

I wanted to give him a reason but I deleted it....

Anyways, when joining the military you think about your personal decision internal politics don't feature. As much as their own black people served under the British.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 5:16pm On Sep 26, 2017
ROOIKAT 105 VS STRYKER MGS-US serviceman spills the beans and utterly trashes the Stryker! His experience allows him to go beyond the advertising and brochure knowledge that dominates forums like this.

GASSSPP! The MGS only fires half power loads! He says the Rooikat 105 the 'standard to beat for recce/fire service vehicles with wheeled propulsion...' In all measures, mobility,firepower,firecontrol,armour protection,price 11mn$ to 1.5 mn$ ,the R 105 wins hands down. It wasn't even close!

https://youtu.be/voeUeMWLbb0

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 5:22pm On Sep 26, 2017
ActivateKruger:

The same as you guys always brag about serving under the British in WW2 and Asia.

WW2 was about stifling a country's democracy and was fought against Africans ?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 5:24pm On Sep 26, 2017
[quote author=kikuyu1 post=60854091][/quote]

Also, they forget that they're only using trainers. See, the SAAF always has 24 jet trainers up in the air and 13 Gripens then an additional 13 on rotation. Their glorified deployment is equivalent to when SAAF pilots are learning to fly with a BAE Hawk which is something that's permanently done.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1410) (1411) (1412) (1413) (1414) (1415) (1416) ... (2865) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: Stormtrooper11(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.