Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,973 members, 7,880,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 11:29 AM

Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed (13411 Views)

Nigeria Vs Malawi - FIFA WCQ: (2 - 0) On 7th September 2013 / Malawi Want Calabar Match Venue Changed / Nff, Siasia Clash Over Ethiopia Match Venue! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by manuch(m): 8:33pm On Aug 11, 2013
The Football Association of Malawi (FAM) has written to Fifa to ask for their decisive Group F World Cup qualifier against Nigeria to be moved from Calabar.

The FAM is also unhappy with the appointment of Hamada el Moussa Nampiandraza as referee for the match.

Malawi trail Nigeria by two points and must win to progress to the play-offs.

Belgian coach Tom Saintifiet, who volunteered to lead the Flames against the Super Eagles, told local media this week that he is not comfortable with the match being played in Calabar.

"Nigeria would like to play in Calabar because it is close to Cameroon in the south-east of Nigeria - not so easy to reach with the only connection via Lagos and Abuja but with no international flights," he said.

"There are not so many hotels available so it will be very difficult to get there. I have one question also about security because the UK's Foreign & Commonwealth Office says it is a no-travel area.

"Fifa they may have to think of shifting the match either to Abuja or to another place outside Nigeria because Calabar is obviously not the capital and it is not a big city. The accommodation is not good for such a big game.

"But I think it is also a plan by Nigeria. They try to disturb their opponents on and off the pitch. So in all the ways we must be prepared as top professionals to try to find solutions and make good plans."

FAM's letter to Fifa states: "There is security risk in Calabar where the match will be played, as reported by the Commonwealth Commission. The venue of the match is risky to our delegation and we would like Fifa to shift the match to Abuja or to a neutral country where our delegation will be safe.

"Calabar has been flagged as a high-risk security area and this alert cannot be taken lightly. Our Minister of Sports will be part of the travelling delegation and we do not want to take security risks by travelling to Calabar."

FAM has also protested over the appointment of referee Nampiandraza, who it believes gave a "below par" performance at the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23655495

2 Likes

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by Evestar200(f): 8:43pm On Aug 11, 2013
Whats are they saying? Is Calabar not more develop and secure than their country,,,,,did,,liberia,,kenya,, and namibia complain when they play in calabar city? He is really mad,,,he is afraid, cuz he knw he is goin to lose woefully thats why they want the match to be played in another country

8 Likes

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by Danhumprey: 9:18pm On Aug 11, 2013
I laugh in Swahili. cheesy Fear don dey grip them! They are really intimidated by the calibre of players we have lined up against them!

1 Like

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by DICKtator: 6:27pm On Aug 12, 2013
Scared of 404 thangs?

The Malawian coach is so ignorant. I mean Donald Duke,Liyel and Cohbams would read this and laugh even dogs that are endangered species there would laugh at this asinine outburst.

Cross River nay Calabar that is noted for its tourist attractions like Tinapa FTZ,Obudu,Mary Slessor among others is what this nincompoop ignoramatic-obtused-dim wit-nitwit-i-am-lucky-to-be-a-coach-thank-my-stars is disparaging?

Let em go to Abuja or even their bedrooms!!!!
The trashing would still be epic!!!!!!

grin grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by lacosteIII(m): 6:29pm On Aug 12, 2013
ok, na their buziness
Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by Kairoseki77: 6:29pm On Aug 12, 2013
LMAOOO!

Lagos jus dey observe!

"Nigeria would like to play in Calabar because it is close to Cameroon in the south-east of Nigeria - not so easy to reach with the only connection via Lagos and Abuja but with no international flights," he said.

"There are not so many hotels available so it will be very difficult to get there. I have one question also about security because the UK's Foreign & Commonwealth Office says it is a no-travel area.

"Fifa they may have to think of shifting the match either to Abuja or to another place outside Nigeria because Calabar is obviously not the capital and it is not a big city. The accommodation is not good for such a big game.

"But I think it is also a plan by Nigeria. They try to disturb their opponents on and off the pitch. So in all the ways we must be prepared as top professionals to try to find solutions and make good plans."

FAM's letter to Fifa states: "There is security risk in Calabar where the match will be played, as reported by the Commonwealth Commission. The venue of the match is risky to our delegation and we would like Fifa to shift the match to Abuja or to a neutral country where our delegation will be safe.

"Calabar has been flagged as a high-risk security area and this alert cannot be taken lightly. Our Minister of Sports will be part of the travelling delegation and we do not want to take security risks by travelling to Calabar."

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1213489_Baby_observe_001_jpg764e30d18cd23a48e55c2e02b2b1fc6d[/img]

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by Christmasdon(m): 6:31pm On Aug 12, 2013
I don't endstand it all.
Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by solace8(m): 6:31pm On Aug 12, 2013
Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by agabaI23(m): 6:32pm On Aug 12, 2013
Calabar doesnt have nice hotelz. Ignorance.
Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by brownlord: 6:33pm On Aug 12, 2013
HE SAID THEIR SPORT MINISTER IS PART OF THE DELEGATION AND AS SUCH THEY ARE AFRAID, CHAI I DON DIE, THE PRESIDENT OF MALAWI IS NOT EVEN UP TO THE POOREST GOVERNOR IN NIGERIA, CHAI, YOU SEE WETIN TERRORISM AND MILITANCY DON TURN THE GIANT OF AFRICA TO, SO OUR MATCH SHOULD BE TAKING TO ANOTHER COUNTRY, THIS IS MADNESS

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by publisher(m): 6:34pm On Aug 12, 2013
Calabar is a security risk to Dogs only,and i mean that literarily.

1 Like

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by mikewoques: 6:35pm On Aug 12, 2013
The scoreline is already 1-0 by this.
Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by YoursGEJ(m): 6:35pm On Aug 12, 2013
No good accomodation for calabar? E be like say the guy dey on alomo plus expired panadol. Make him first get data bundle and then google calabar. Na run e go run go there.

8 Likes

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by Fitzy4real(m): 6:35pm On Aug 12, 2013
Nice one. Select whichever stadium you guys want. You can even move the match to Ghana or CIV if you like.

Soon you'll also want to select players for us.

Malawians. Smh.

4 Likes

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by habiolah(m): 6:35pm On Aug 12, 2013
I waz here!

Calabar bla bla bla. Even if we play the match for Ivory Coast, Malawi wan win before? You better begin preparations for the match and stop whinning. #yimu for you#

over and Out!
Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by Nobody: 6:38pm On Aug 12, 2013
dem dey fear our super chickens.. lmao the Abuja National stadium is not in good shape.. too bad! contractors are working on the stadium as we speak
Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by Built2last: 6:39pm On Aug 12, 2013
or have they consulted their oracle and they told them that loosing in Calabar is inevitable
Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by Chanchit: 6:40pm On Aug 12, 2013
Mods should pls for God sake respect the time and mb we waste in commenting on stories here on NL. I have commented on this news before, and the comments on the other one is more than the comment in this version you brought to the front page. If you knw you've recieved more than one thread for a story, why can't you close the other's living only one, instead of letting us waste our time. Or do you think its easy to comment..?

I'm even pissed off, I said all I wanted to say on the thread you refused to bring to FP. But na God go punish that Malawi coach, Calabar is more developed than the whole of Blantyre, I don't even knw if he's planning on winning the match.

4 Likes

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by Nobody: 6:40pm On Aug 12, 2013
They should shift the match to maiduguri. That should be better.

25 Likes

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by thrugemaster(m): 6:41pm On Aug 12, 2013
venue or no venue, ideye must not play

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by amanikondo: 6:42pm On Aug 12, 2013
We all know Lagos is safe.
Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by Mainmike: 6:45pm On Aug 12, 2013
Did I read about insecurity in Calabar? No hotel/good hotel? Where are they getting their information from? Calabar known for hosting lots of international events. THEY ARE AFRAID OF THE EAGLES

1 Like

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by Dmentor(f): 6:48pm On Aug 12, 2013
Calabar 'high risk security area', no enough hotels? Those guys are jokers.

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by RichDad1(m): 6:49pm On Aug 12, 2013
Jokers. But seriously, I think the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or whatever appropriate authorities should make contact with the said Commonwealth website to demand explanation on why Calabar is classified as a high risk area in the first place. Because to me security issues shouldn't be taken lightly.

6 Likes

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by nerodenero: 6:50pm On Aug 12, 2013
This is a flimsy excuse. Abuja stadium is in a deplorable state likewise National stadium, Lagos. Calabar is probably the best stadium to host the match since the pitch has natural grasses. Most of the other stadia in Nigeria are artificial turf. so, the excuse being given by Malawi isn't tenable at all.

1 Like

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by musachara: 6:50pm On Aug 12, 2013
publisher: Calabar is a security risk to Dogs only,and i mean that literarily.
we dey here una dey yab us. Gos is watchin
still cant help but laf sha.
BUHAAHHAAHAHAHAAHA...!

1 Like

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by Nobody: 6:50pm On Aug 12, 2013
Mainmike: Did I read about insecurity in Calabar? No hotel/good hotel? Where are they getting their information from? Calabar known for hosting lots of international events. THEY ARE AFRAID OF THE EAGLES
Don't mind them. they forgot they are going to play a match. They actually think they're going to Obudu Cattle Ranch and Tinapa for tourist attraction. Foolish people.

1 Like

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by Mainmike: 6:50pm On Aug 12, 2013
See insults. As big as Naija, Abuja is now the only safe place for match. Even telling us to play home match in another country. That coach is not serious. They should also tell FIFA to change the ball....... Defeat for Malawi before the game

1 Like

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by bionicdude(m): 6:51pm On Aug 12, 2013
i dey laff d i.d.oit talk say cali na security risk wetin don happen for calabar b4.dis guy should not try it coz i've already saved my ticket money to watch dis epic trashing and they are talking of moving d match.i will tell them that no city in their country is half as fine and beautiful as calabar

2 Likes

Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 12, 2013
Am sure Mr Man has never head of Obudu cattle ranch & resort
Re: Malawi Wants Calabar Match Venue Changed by great063(m): 6:59pm On Aug 12, 2013
This coach is either high or he took the wrong pills. #don't tell me nonsense#

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Utd Considering Eriksen And Tielemans As Possible Replacements For Pogba / Mohamed Salah Scores His First Goal At AFCON As Egypt Beat Congo 2-0 (Video) / Ahmed Musa Says His Goal Against Libya Is His Birthday Gift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.