Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,212 members, 7,873,932 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:38 PM

Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit (19512 Views)

Satellites Glimpse Ultra-powerful “black Hole” Whirlpools In Atlantic / Bright Explosion On Moon Visible From Earth, NASA Says / Cosmic Rays Entering Earth From Mars 2nite.pls Switch Off Ur Fone Tonight! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by FlamingGun: 7:55am On Aug 12, 2013
Yes, Nigeria has a space programme. Since 2003 the West African country has been operating its own satellites, three of which are currently collecting data from Earth orbit. But this week Nigeria's space agency came under fire after UK newspaper the Daily Mail reported on British politicians questioning why Nigeria is spending money on satellites while accepting foreign aid for the large proportion of its citizens who live in poverty.

In fact, the country's satellites support food production in the region and disaster relief around the world – including helping with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in the US.

Nigeria's National Space Research & Development Agency (NASRDA) launched its first orbiter, NigeriaSat-1, in 2003. The roughly $13 million cost was paid for by the Nigerian government, but it was built by Surrey Space Technology (SST) in the UK and launched from a Russian spaceport.

The spacecraft was equipped with high-resolution optical and infrared cameras. "They are there to look at agriculture production, improving food security," says Audrey Nice of SST. The satellite was also designed for environmental monitoring, such as tracking desertification and even locust swarms.
Eye on disaster

NigeriaSat-1 lasted until 2012, four years longer than expected. It was succeeded by NigeriaSat-2 and NigeriaSat-X, which both launched in 2011 carrying similar instruments. These satellites were also made at SST, with Nigerian engineers helping to build the latter. In addition to a continued environmental mission, the satellites' high-resolution images of the country will help Nigeria review electoral boundaries ahead of its general elections in 2015.

The NigeriaSats are also part of the international Disaster Monitoring Constellation, coordinated by SST. This network of satellites includes Chinese, Spanish and UK spacecraft that can provide rapid images from space when environmental disasters strike.

In 2005 NigeriaSat-1 was the first satellite to send back pictures of the east coast of the US following Hurricane Katrina, says Nice. And the orbiter contributed images to aid workers following the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. Nigeria provides disaster-related imagery for free, but the country generates income from the satellites by selling other image data.

NASRDA also commissioned a Chinese-built communications satellite, NigComSat-1, that launched from China in 2007. The satellite lost power a year later and was replaced in 2011 by NigComSat-1R, which is currently providing broadcast and internet services in Nigeria.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24025-how-nigeria-has-been-using-its-satellites.html#.UgiGcKwaLFI

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Emmyk(m): 9:49am On Aug 12, 2013
Why cant you just copy n paste ?
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by physise(m): 3:27pm On Aug 12, 2013
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by mkmyers45(m): 3:28pm On Aug 12, 2013
Interesting....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Fazhy: 3:29pm On Aug 12, 2013
Really?

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 12, 2013
#Faints
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Sagytarius1: 3:31pm On Aug 12, 2013
Why use satellite to collect date when Calenders full for market?
Even my nokia touch knows the time and date even without mtn network.
Make I hear word o jare.
Satelite ko. Dish ni.

PS. I nor read that long article sha. So nor crucify me. cheesy

12 Likes

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Lobolintin(m): 3:31pm On Aug 12, 2013
I folow build am,i gave them the witch tech,
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by bright007(f): 3:32pm On Aug 12, 2013
the last time i checked...
browsing the net and buying internet data remains very expensive in Nigeria compared to other countries with or without satelite in space.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by 25Calibre(m): 3:32pm On Aug 12, 2013
Where is musiwa, he is the king of satellite photos

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by flexpro(m): 3:35pm On Aug 12, 2013
Naija we no dey carry last, very soon the government will start project of going to the sun for electricity which in tune will put billions into their private pockets.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by badbros(m): 3:35pm On Aug 12, 2013
ohhhhh I see.
they fly to the moon but they can't find food for the starving

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by IAMBREEZY: 3:35pm On Aug 12, 2013
OK
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 12, 2013
This doesn't and will not change the fact that we are still 'behind' in development when compared with the rest of the world.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by zuma4k(m): 3:36pm On Aug 12, 2013
Ok
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by irecruit(m): 3:37pm On Aug 12, 2013
this is greatnews.
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by dridowu: 3:39pm On Aug 12, 2013
Musiwa will function very well on this thread
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by ProminentStar: 3:39pm On Aug 12, 2013
I just joined nairaland. please how do I comment on threads?
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 12, 2013
Now they are scared of what the country might use her technology knowledge and resources for in the nearest future.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 12, 2013
ProminentStar: I just joined nairaland. please how do I comment on threads?
your dad could have just used a condom sad

15 Likes

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Youngzedd(m): 3:43pm On Aug 12, 2013

Smash your device on the ground and your topic will make front page.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by fitzmayowa: 3:46pm On Aug 12, 2013
Hmmm
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by fr3do(m): 3:46pm On Aug 12, 2013
A satellite going out of orbit is very dangerous,even more dangerous than a meteor of its size.insufficient orbit velocity i guess.
V < [gr]^1/2

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by bory09(m): 3:47pm On Aug 12, 2013
What should i gain from this news na. Is this a great news worth celebration or otherwise i want to know

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by ProminentStar: 3:49pm On Aug 12, 2013
sheyie2007: your dad could have just used a condom sad
all I asked for was ur help and since u couldn't do that u should have kept mute.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by solomon111(m): 3:50pm On Aug 12, 2013
"Date" or DATA?
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by bory09(m): 3:50pm On Aug 12, 2013
do you mean how do i display my foolishn€ss.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by ajetunde: 3:51pm On Aug 12, 2013

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Nuzo1(m): 3:51pm On Aug 12, 2013
Sagytarius°:
Why use satellite to collect date when Calenders full for market?
Even my nokia touch knows the time and date even without mtn network.
Make I hear word o jare.
Satelite ko. Dish ni.

PS. I nor read that long article sha. So nor crucify me. cheesy

You know, you don't have to use very dry and unintelligent jokes to mask your ignorance.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by moshoodn(m): 3:53pm On Aug 12, 2013
Nice one Nigeria.

I love my country.
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by DisGuy: 3:53pm On Aug 12, 2013
which satellite helped us monitor our own flooding last year?

In 2005 NigeriaSat-1 was the first satellite to send back pictures of the east coast of the US following Hurricane Katrina, says Nice. And the orbiter contributed images to aid workers following the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. Nigeria provides disaster-related imagery for free, but the country generates income from the satellites by selling other image data.

how much?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 12, 2013

Huh To collect date? Me no understanding.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Daughter's iPad Charger Explodes As Father Tries To Unplug It / Amazing Six-Legged Robot Expertly Skis Down A Slope In China (Video & Pics) / The Earth Is FLAT. Discuss!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.