Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,364 members, 7,888,177 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 09:03 PM

Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final (1926 Views)

Usain "Lightning" Bolt Wins 100m Final / Blessing Okagbare's White Wedding Photos With Hubby, Igho Otegheri / Blessing Okagbare Places Last In 100m Finals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by Rossikk(m): 7:28pm On Aug 12, 2013
This girl always fails to deliver on the track when it really matters.

What's the problem with her?

Good job with the Silver in Long Jump though.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by Profeme: 7:40pm On Aug 12, 2013
It may have to do with fatique. I wish her better luck next time.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by cold(m): 7:48pm On Aug 12, 2013
I don't understand why she always fails to deliver on the big stage.Someone running sub 11 seconds in the circuit meets suddenly falls short when much is expected.Could it be that the long jump took a lot out of her?Anyways,she's got a silver to her name which is a good thing & there's still the 200m to come.Since she tends to switch on at about 40-50 metres there's still a chance.So let's see
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by Litmus: 7:56pm On Aug 12, 2013
The Jamaican Sprinter merlene ottey never fulfilled her huge potential (though she won medals) it seemed because of weak mental strength.

It's possible Okagbare has taken on too many events, all the training, preliminary rounds, expectations simply sapped her strength

or

more controversially wink having that Ivorian in the next lane sapped Okagbare in a bizarre way. What i mean is this, Nigerians often want to test themselves against the West, we will try hard to match them or beat them at their own game but somehow Africans always want to "put us in our place". So you will find some African (explicitly or implicitly)swelling, and puffing with vexation next to the Nigerian in events like the one Okagbare found herself, so that during the race, the African's extra effort to beat the Nigerian will -by some strange osmosis- transmit itself to the Nigerian and the Nigerian will become aware of the African next to them and by so doing loose focus in the overall race. By the time they finish fighting the hateful African next-door there is no more energy.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by jihday(m): 8:15pm On Aug 12, 2013
Litmus: The Jamaican Sprinter merlene ottey never fulfilled her huge potential (though she won medals) it seemed because of weak mental strength.

It's possible Okagbare has taken on too many events, all the training, preliminary rounds, expectations simply sapped her strength

or

more controversially wink having that Ivorian in the next lane sapped Okagbare in a bizarre way. What i mean is this, Nigerians often want to test themselves against the West, we will try hard to match them or beat them at their own game but somehow Africans always want to "put us in our place". So you will find some African (explicitly or implicitly)swelling, and puffing with vexation next to the Nigerian in events like the one Okagbare found herself, so that during the race, the African's extra effort to beat the Nigerian will -by some strange osmosis- transmit itself to the Nigerian and the Nigerian will become aware of the African next to them and by so doing loose focus in the overall race. By the time they finish fighting the hateful African next-door there is no more energy.
Litmus: The Jamaican Sprinter merlene ottey never fulfilled her huge potential (though she won medals) it seemed because of weak mental strength.

or

Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by Rossikk(m): 8:27pm On Aug 12, 2013

or

Load of nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by Rossikk(m): 8:31pm On Aug 12, 2013
cold: I don't understand why she always fails to deliver on the big stage.Someone running sub 11 seconds in the circuit meets suddenly falls short when much is expected.Could it be that the long jump took a lot out of her?Anyways,she's got a silver to her name which is a good thing & there's still the 200m to come.Since she tends to switch on at about 40-50 metres there's still a chance.So let's see

I doubt she can blame the long jump of yesterday for 'fatigue'. She's a seasoned athlete and should have recovered sufficiently over 24 hrs to put up a credible showing. She always does well in circuit races, flattering to deceive, and then when a real tournament like the Olympics or World Athletics championships comes up, she develops cold feet and suddenly feels inferior to the same opposition she thrashed in the circuits. I think she has a confidence problem. She doesn't quite believe she deserves to be world champion. Running over 11 secs was really shocking for a sprinter of her recent accomplishments.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by cold(m): 9:01pm On Aug 12, 2013
Yeah,it's probably a crisis of confidence but it will come to her eventually.It's only a matter of time,let's keep believing
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by COMPAQ(m): 9:07pm On Aug 12, 2013
I think I agree that it might be more of a mental thing. Lane placement probably didn't help too. Nothing like running right next to shelly to make you increase your speed. But all said and done, those are all excuses. She just didn't perform when it mattered most.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by COMPAQ(m): 9:09pm On Aug 12, 2013
But no big deal though cos she's still a fabulous athlete and still has the world ahead of her.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by executinal(m): 9:15pm On Aug 12, 2013

or

What sort of odoriferous saga, kum gaga tum gaga. Are you trying to bring a calamitous end to our country? through the Bermuda triangle? grin grin grin
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by Litmus: 9:36pm On Aug 12, 2013
I should imagine that if you've entered for three events in a major competition like this, the training regime is going to be that more intensive. I imagine that when you get to the events destination,in this instance Russia,your training and preparations still continues albeit at a lower tempo. Let's not forget, the relays: with such paucity of talents at the disposal of Nigerian officials, they might even want her to maybe run a leg in the 400m relays. Blessing is young,who knows how bright,it's not hard to conceive that she overestimated what she is capable of doing. Nervous exhaustion then plays a part in debilitating her.

BTW

and i do mean what i stated about our irritating African neighbors - I've watched enough athletics to be confident about my suspicion. Although, to be fare in this Blessing case, she was too far behind from the start for this to be the case with her.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by Litmus: 10:22pm On Aug 12, 2013
executinal:

What sort of odoriferous saga, kum gaga tum gaga. Are you trying to bring a calamitous end to our country? through the Bermuda triangle? grin grin grin

It does happen. Sprinters are not asked to concentrate on their own race for nothing. I remember long ago watching as one of Nigeria's more talented sprinter came to the blocks with plaster over his right eyes having gotten involved in a fight with an American sprinter. It was during the Lingford Christis era when there was a noticeable bad blood atmosphere between the Caribbean, American, Canadian and to lesser extent African sprinters. Of course this is all reading the situation from the armchair,but you could tell. Before that incident, i forget the Nigerian sprinters name,i could tell that there was a lot of isms and schisms going on.

Again, it wasn't difficult to tell that a lot of the black British Athletes didn't like Joice Maduaka, right now it does not look as if Aritee is loved by his teammates and the British arnt too fund of Christine Ohuruogu in spite of how it might seem to you. The British Nigerian triple jumper, the one who keeps dying his hair odd colors, quit recently (the irrational emotions were building up towards him too)- all are Nigerians.

Anyway, take it or leave it
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by Nobody: 11:33pm On Aug 12, 2013
Blessing is a confirmed choker.

Asafa Powell and Merlene Ottey also suffered from this condition.

I fully expected her to deliver the silver medal or even better.

At least there is still the 200m
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by bambostic: 12:48am On Aug 13, 2013
http://makingofchampions.net/2013/08/12/blessing-and-the-asafa-powell-syndrome/

If Blessing Okagbare delighted Nigerians yesterday with the nation’s first World Championship medal since 1999, the 100 metre final today was to end in disappointment for Blessing and the millions of Nigerians who would have tuned into the race to see if she could possibly challenge the mercurial Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce for the title, as she had been threatening to all season. Unfortunately for Blessing, she finished a disappointing sixth in a performance quite reminiscent of her eighth place finish in the Olympic 100m Finals last year. Similar to last year, Blessing came into the big championship after a great season that set her apart as a serious medal contender in the 100m. This season her performances have been even more emphatic than the last – when you think that in every single one of her races this season over the 100m, she finished in either 1st or 2nd position, only losing to Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce (but getting closer to her with each race), one could have been forgiven for quietly hoping that she could upset the diminutive Jamaican in Moscow. Certainly Blessing was a shoe-in for at least the Silver medal, especially after breaking the African record twice in one day, with 10.86s and 10.79s runs in the space of 90 minutes at the London Anniversary Games two weeks ago. If she had reproduced either of those runs she would be the silver medalist right now…

So what went wrong for Blessing? Was it that the long jump competition yesterday took a lot out of her, so she couldn’t produce her best 100m today? Did she pick up a knock of some sort from the long jump? Her 100m rounds seemed like she was running well within herself and conserving her energy for the final, so how come she could not produce the goods when it mattered the most? Everyone who watches women’s sprinting at the moment will know that Blessing is not the greatest starter and will not be at the front of the race after 50 or 60 metres, but much like Christine Ohuruogu in the 400 metres (congratulations to her on the win today!), she will catch all the other girls before the line, unless they get a start like Shelly-Ann did today. For Blessing, after 50 or 60 metres today, she was exactly where she always is in her races at that stage, but at that point she seemed to drop her head – that drive to the line that has become her trademark evaporated. Either the energy just wasn’t there (which I doubt was the case, after seeing how she put those two races she put together at the London Anniversary Games) or perhaps this was because she could see that Shelly-Ann was well ahead and was not going to be caught?

If the latter is the case, then it casts the mind back to Asafa Powell, who went into multiple Olympic Games and World Championships as one of the favourites for GOLD, but often finished with nothing, after more or less giving up during races after realizing that he wasn’t going to win – I reckon that he probably threw away a Silver or Bronze on a couple of occasions because he mentally gave up after realizing he wasn’t going to get the GOLD. Luckily for him, he eventually won a couple of Bronze medals at the World Champs, but there was a 4 year period (for 3 of those years he was the World Record Holder) where he should have won everything available to him before Usain Bolt showed up. Unfortunately for Blessing, after failing to deliver a medal in two consecutive global finals where she had strong prospects, it may take her some time to shake off the tag of someone who doesn’t deliver when it matters the most. She is in that 4-year period where she needs to be wresting the 100m mantle away from the likes of Shelly-Ann and her training partner Carmelita Jeter. Come Rio 2016, who knows how good the young Americans who all made today’s final (English Gardner, Alexandria Anderson and Octavious Freeman) are going to be, and who knows who else is going to show up in women’s sprinting by then. This should have been Blessing’s moment to shine, to strike while the iron is hot…

The London 2012 final would have been disappointing for her, but this one will hurt even more because she will know that if she had executed the way she can, in the form that she’s been in this year, she would be Nigeria’s first ever medalist in the individual 100 metres right now. Now she has to wait 2 years for another opportunity to be in this position, and even if she is the best in the world by then, there will be question marks as to whether she has the temperament for the big moment, until she actually wins a global title or medal in the 100 metres. Luckily for Blessing, she has an immediate chance to put things right for herself later this week in the 200 metres, the event I have always thought is going to be her better event. If Blessing was reading this, I would encourage her to put today behind her very quickly and come out like a wounded lionness for the 200 metres. She will desperately need it now, to immediately put to bed any self-doubt that would be creeping in now about her own ability to deliver on the biggest stage. I still believe that Blessing is going to take Mary Onyali’s 200 metre African Record of 22.07s this week enroute to a medal in that event. All the talk will be about Allyson Felix and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce going head to head for GOLD in that event, but I would urge all Nigerians to put their support fully behind her, so that she can put today’s performance behind her as quickly as possible.

For Nigeria, if anything today has shown, it is that we must STOP relying on only one athlete for Track & Field success by implementing a world-class program at home, that will allow us rival the Americans and Jamaicans on a consistent basis. Jamaica had 4 men in the 100m final yesterday and ended up with 2 medals there, while the US had 4 women in today’s final and finished with one medal. It should be noted that the Afro-Caribbeans and African Americans who currently dominate sprinting are mostly descended from West Africa, so essentially there is a lot more of that same talent they have wasting away in West Africa, where Nigeria should be leading the way with a population of 170 million (compared to Jamaica’s population of just 3 million)! When will Nigeria once again start producing multiple sub-10 men and sub-11 women who can do the country proud consistently on the global stage? Only time will tell!
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by omar22(m): 1:26pm On Aug 13, 2013
I did say that after she broke the African record that the World Championship will present her with a different challenge, am sorry the lane draw counts for nothing because its not the 200m, I did say that Blessing has a similar running style similar to Carl Lewis and Donovan Bailey but the risk is that when your races depends on the cruise-stage of the race or chasing down then you are playing with fire because once your opponent shoots ahead you could easily drop your race plans and start chasing and thats when you go from been relaxed to been tightened up.

I said Blessing needs to train on her starting and learn on how to drive out of the block with drive and power this will put her in a great position when she switch to cruise and because she take longer strides she has its advantage if you look at the race between Marion Jones and Zhanna Block, The moment Zhanna came out ahead of jones, Jones beame tense and tightened up

1 Like

Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by omar22(m): 1:29pm On Aug 13, 2013
GenBuhari: Blessing is a confirmed choker.

Asafa Powell and Merlene Ottey also suffered from this condition.

I fully expected her to deliver the silver medal or even better.

At least there is still the 200m

Marlene Ottey won Gold in the 200m and on 2 ocassions they had to go to the 3rd decimal before awarding the title to Gail Devers
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by Nobody: 5:49am On Aug 14, 2013
She did at least get the silver medal in the long jump, a mere 2cm less than the winning jump.
Hopefully she can redeem herself in the 200m
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by crispgg: 10:33am On Aug 14, 2013
Blessing messed up cause of the long jump event she participated in. There is no way you would finish such an event without being sore for a day or two, then in the 100m, she came up against fresh athletes who had not participated in any event.

For those of you who are saying she should have recovered or that other athletes have done same in the past, note that only one or two highly exceptional athletes can combine field events with track and make significant impact, also such events are only combined in competitions such as the olympics where you have a long break inbetween events.

At the world championships, she did the long jump and almost immediately did the heats for the 200metres. I knew there was trouble once I saw her qualifying time for the finals and she even tried not coming last.

Now at the 200m events, she will be coming up against athletes who are still fresh and haven't done any event, she has already done two events...only God knows if she can get anything out of this too.

I seriously blame her coaching team for this, they should have insisted she concentrated on the 100 and 200m, I've always had doubts about the quality of her coaching staff because they have failed to improve her sprint starta and even her landing in the long jump events was horrible....If she had been well trained in that, she would have had a gold medal.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 14, 2013
^
Many athletes compete in long jump and 100m and it does not impact there performance in the 100m.

Carl Lewis and Jesse Owens, Marion Jones both won gold medals in Long Jump, 100m and 200m.

Blessing is simply a choker in the major 100m finals.

Lets hope she could get her nerves under control for the 200m
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by akintun: 12:27pm On Aug 14, 2013
GenBuhari: ^
Many athletes compete in long jump and 100m and it does not impact there performance in the 100m.

Carl Lewis and Jesse Owens, Marion Jones both won gold medals in Long Jump, 100m and 200m.

U are actually wrong. No athlete has done been successful competing first in d long jump b4 doiing d 100m, but a bit of success has been achieved by first competing in d 100m b4 doing d LJ. B4 d WC was introduced in 1983, in 1981 at d athletic WC Carl Lewis did d long jump first b4 doing d 100m and he failed woefully in d 100m. That experience made him to decide dat he would only be going 4 one jump at major champs, but Okagbare went 4 d 6 jumps.

Marion jones was also not successful in 1999 when she tried it, and dat was why she decided to try using drugs from 2000. In 1988 Heike Drechsler tried it and was also unsuccessful . Wat Okagbare tried to do has never been done in d history of d WC.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by Nobody: 12:38pm On Aug 14, 2013
All that is just excuses.
akintun:

U are actually wrong. No athlete has done been successful competing first in d long jump b4 doiing d 100m, but a bit of success has been achieved by first competing in d 100m b4 doing d LJ. B4 d WC was introduced in 1983, in 1981 at d athletic WC Carl Lewis did d long jump first b4 doing d 100m and he failed woefully in d 100m. That experience made him to decide dat he would only be going 4 one jump at major champs, but Okagbare went 4 d 6 jumps.

Marion jones was also not successful in 1999 when she tried it, and dat was why she decided to try using drugs from 2000. In 1988 Heike Drechsler tried it and was also unsuccessful . Wat Okagbare tried to do has never been done in d history of d WC.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by crispgg: 2:07pm On Aug 14, 2013
GenBuhari: ^

General, you would notice from my posts that I mentioned

1. Very few and highly exceptional athletes have had any success in competing in the long jump, 100m and 200m at the same time. You were only able to mention three of those above.

2. They did so only at the olympics which lasts for like a month, hence they had ample time between the events to recover. The world athletics championship is just for two weeks, the schedule is just a day apart. Ask any athlete anywhere, they will tell you its not possible.

All sporting events have become highly competitive and technical these days, you have to be at the very top of your game to win any event. That is why lots of athletes prefer to concentrate on one or two events. Come to think of it, why has Bolt never participated in the long jump? He has the height and physical attributes for it. If it were in the 80's or the 90's, I assure you, Bolt would have been competing in that event too.

Like I said earlier, I blame her coaches who have failed to update themselves and provided her with the edge she needed to win.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Messes Up - Comes 6th In 100m Final by omar22(m): 2:29pm On Aug 14, 2013
The IAAF moved the date around to suite Marion Jones in competing for at the 2000 Sydney Olympics and she didnt win gold, actually Jones hasnt won Gold in Long Jump at any major event and all her results from 2000 onwards have been disqualified

Carl Lewis has only won gold in 100, 200 and Long Jump at the same event once and that was at the Los Angeles Olympic

(1) (Reply)

Indigenous Snocker{hilarious Pic} / Ifeanyi Ubah Set To Enrol His U-20 Team Players To Westham United Academy,london / Five Players Who Scored On Thier Champions League Debuts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.