Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,880 members, 7,906,274 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 08:27 AM

Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? (1055 Views)

pp / PIC: Mothers, Is It Bad To Breastfeed Your 48year Old Son In Public? / Can You Allow Another Woman To Breastfeed Your Baby? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by awesomep(m): 6:42pm On Aug 14, 2013
[img]http://4.bp..com/-Cu9aUPIoorw/UguhBi2Z4HI/AAAAAAAB7l8/RQC9a-8fnGU/s1600/article-2392654-1B495E2B000005DC-879_634x417.jpg[/img]
22 year old new mum, Stephanie Wilby (pictured above), is fighting the management of a leisure centre after she was asked to stop breastfeeding her four-month-old baby in a swimming pool. The staff told her breastfeeding in the pool was indecent exposure, unhygienic and similar to a swimmer urinating in the pool and would throw her out of the leisure centre if she refused to stop "I would have still questioned their reasons but it would not have been as inappropriate. They made a real scene. They were saying me breastfeeding was indecent exposure. But I was covered more than most of the other swimmers. One staff member also said he would stop a man urinating in the pool and that is why they did not want me breastfeeding in the water. I should be allowed to breastfeed where I want. I felt humiliated and it was very distressing. I even asked about feeding at the side of the pool but they said that was not allowed and said I should go to the changing rooms or toilet. This was the worst possible customer service I have ever come across.' She reported the case as abuse and now the city council is investigating to see if she has a case. I support the staff on this. A public swimming pool is not an appropriate place to breastfeed a child. What do you guys think? - See more at: http://naijacrib..com/2013/08/should-mother-be-allowed-to-breastfeed.html

1 Like

Re: Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by Serendipity: 7:16pm On Aug 14, 2013
I baulk at the practice of women breastfeeding anywhere with gay abandon; without let or hindrance.
-
The other day in church one brought out her bosson not even from beneath her shirt but from the top in the full glare of the congregation.

=
Women should learn discreet breastfeeding. At any rate, most women can breasfeed prudently by slightly raising their tops or shirts without causing kerfuffle.
Re: Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by Rocktation(f): 8:34pm On Aug 14, 2013
She must have been touched..in the head.
Re: Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by greatgod2012(f): 9:17pm On Aug 14, 2013
She can breastfeed in the public but with the use of a cover. Exposing one's bosoms in public is not decent enough and also not hygienic enough.
A word is enough.
Re: Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Aug 14, 2013
No. She should have been allowed to breastfeed at the poolside but not in the pool. No one is interested in sharing her bodily fluids unnecessarily.
Re: Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Aug 14, 2013
Re: Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by Tinkybabe(f): 9:41pm On Aug 14, 2013
I don't get this.Was the baby inside the pool with her whilst breastfeeding..I thought the op used "in" in place of "at" but I was proven wrong as I read on.
How possible is it to have a four months old baby inside the pool feeding on breast milk?
Re: Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by Chinwem(f): 10:28pm On Aug 14, 2013
No......she should get her own private pool and contaminate it with breast milk as she likes.
Re: Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by coogar: 10:51pm On Aug 14, 2013
shameless woman!
some women just lack decorum and panache. breastfeed at the poolside in the full glare of dozens of strangers. she should have been arrested for indecent exposure - who wants to see her darkened brëast aureoles?
Re: Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Aug 14, 2013
I don't have a problem with breastfeeding in public but in a SWIMMING POOL. Hell to the no.

What was going through her head ? undecided
Re: Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by Nobody: 4:46am On Aug 15, 2013
IN the swimming pool NO
Near the pool YES
In public.. HELL YES..
In a toilet? Hell fucking no. angry
Re: Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 15, 2013
Na wah oh . . . br.eastfee.fing a baby inside the pool . . . shocked

Did she properly sanitize her nipples before putting it into the baby's mouth

Some people sha undecided
Re: Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by deor03(m): 1:40pm On Aug 15, 2013
Human beings are designed to manufacture problems.

Why must she breastfeed in the pool ? Freedom has limitations.
Re: Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Aug 15, 2013
All yall know that breastfeeding mothers can randomly leak milk from their breasts... as long as you didn't know it wouldn't be a problem wink

1 Like

Re: Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by slimyem: 11:24pm On Aug 15, 2013
The woman's just attention seeking.
Breastfeeding in,beside and around the pool is all just wrong!
How hard is taking a few minutes off to a decent place to feed her baby?
Nonsense!!
Re: Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by Afrocatalyst: 3:56am On Aug 16, 2013
How diffrent is this from most that breastfeed in the open. Disgusting...
Re: Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by damiso(f): 7:09am On Aug 16, 2013
I doubt if its in the pool cos that's not even possible .How will she hold the baby, float ? (Not even going to bother trying to imagine the scenario lipsrsealed).

That said I dont think there is anything wrong with breastfeeding a child under 6 months in public as long as you are fully covered.I personally prefer retreating to a secluded area (still covered) but some places have no baby facilities. So what will you do esp for a child who refused the bottle?

Cover up though, cover up dont assault people's senses with your areolaa smiley
Re: Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by Afrocatalyst: 7:57am On Aug 16, 2013
damiso: I doubt if its in the pool cos that's not even possible .How will she hold the baby, float ? (Not even going to bother trying to imagine the scenario lipsrsealed).

That said I dont think there is anything wrong with breastfeeding a child under 6 months in public as long as you are fully covered.I personally prefer retreating to a secluded area (still covered) but some places have no baby facilities. So what will you do esp for a child who refused the bottle?

Cover up though, cover up dont assault people's senses with your areolaa smiley
berra.
Re: Should A Mother Be Allowed To Breastfeed In A Public Swimming Pool? by EfemenaXY: 11:31pm On Aug 17, 2013
Que: Should a mother be allowed to breastfeed in a public swimming pool?

Ans: No she shouldn't.

(1) (Reply)

How Do Your Family Cope With Artificial Foods? / Must Read For The Ladies!! / zzzzzzzz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.