Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,283 members, 7,891,318 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 11:29 AM

Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! (17544 Views)

The Long Snake Killed At A Mechanic-Workshop In Port-harcourt (Graphic Pics) / Little Boy Creates His On Drum Set And Beat (video) / Amazing: See Nigerian Homes Made Of Plastic Bottles And Mud (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by caesaraba(m): 11:45pm On Aug 15, 2013
Jonwesley:

Haba, so if u buy N50 bulb to serve both day and night, do u get the light free or u do not remember ur meter or almighty PHCN. Do u think before u talk? Compare the overtime usage of electricity with this concept that only has a fixed cost at the beginning: the cost of bleach, and adhesives.

God! What kind of homes do some of you come from?! You could still have made your point without resorting to such rashness you know.

Anyway, it'd be more expensive in any run ( long, medium or short) to buy bulbs and pay for the electricity bills than to go boring holes all over the roof. I wonder how you managed to only see the cost of bleach and adhesives without taking into consideration the cost of roof repairs required in the course of usage. So assuming you go boring holes on the roof to get 'light,' won't you still need to pay for electricity to power your appliances et al? Sounds more to me like a classical case of "penny wise, pound foolish."
You Sir, must be a very deep thinker.
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by Nobody: 11:54pm On Aug 15, 2013
In one word *bullshit*
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by caesaraba(m): 11:54pm On Aug 15, 2013
BrightCar: DON'T MIND HIM, HE HAS NO SENSE OF SCIENCE, SO CAN BE QUICK TO MUTTER ANYTHING.

Being in the sciences most of my life. I wish I could reply you further however, shoot me a mail and I'd be glad to pay your tuition fees to study a wee bit of Economics. Cheers.
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by caesaraba(m): 12:08am On Aug 16, 2013
blaise26.abj:

Think and read carefully before typing. It is to serve you when when there is power outage during the day. unless of course ur 50 naira bulb can power itself.

I did sir. I just think it'd be much easier to open your blinds during the day when there's power outage than having to bore holes in the roof. Maybe you should read the last part of my post; "carefully" this time around. Cheers.
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by babsomotde(m): 1:15am On Aug 16, 2013
Next to do it in Naija
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by mozeybee: 4:13am On Aug 16, 2013
adeoflagos: According to the World Bank, the inventor is Alfredo Moser (use Google). For now, its application is limited to day-time in human settlements (e.g. slums) where rooms are in darkness day or night. I read someone (SayITnw) write something about seeking cheap publicity on nairaland for such a great and in-use concept. How much publicity does an idea that is already on the website of a global financial institution need. "Nada"!!! Not from nairaland.

How could this be more expensive than buying electric light bulbs (ELB)? You pay for the ELB as well as the electricity. How much energy goes into production of the ELB and the electricity, which are likely produced from non-renewable sources.
You seem to have forgotten that we don't pay for electricity just to light bulbs. How much kWatt does a bulb condume in a room housing an electic iron, electric stove, refrigerator, AC, TV sets, etc. ? less than 8%! If u caim that the bulb is expensive, is the bottle free? You have to buy it afterall. The dividing lines between this Mosar bulb and the "Legendary" Faraday's bulb are - reliability & efficiency. You can use the bulb at anytime & at steady brightness. The mosar bulb is dependent on an astronomical body - the sun, and is therefore time-dependent. It deems off towards the night.
More so, some energy that is converted from electric energy to light energy by some bulbs is lost as heat. The initial cost of the solar light bulb (SLB) will likely be recouped over the life time of its use. The other benefits (i) wastes bottles are recycled and reused
The usefulness of any idea (sometimes cheaply called innovation) is in weighing its merits against its demerits. Is the recycling process the drilling of rooftops? This will only pave way to imminent leakage from the roof. Again, how do use it even use it in nigeria when most buildings have ceilings below the roof? Do u drill the ceilings too or u produce some 5-feet bottles ?
(ii) in the long-term the amount of waste-bottles that end up in landfills is reduced and the energy cost for transportation of wastes-bottles to the dump/landfill is reduced
Well I think in the long run this isn't going to reduce waste-bottle dumping because it only looks practicable in "Slums" , whose inhabitants translate to what in global population? maybe some 0.0x% (iii) it empowers individuals installing the solar light bulbs to generate income (electric bulb makers are large corporation not individuals).
What is ur defination of "individuals" when millions of people not having a roof directly above them cannot use this? Milions of people living under storey buildings cannot use it.
Other indirect benefits include less green-house warming (think about the production processes used for electric light bulb production, the CO2 from electricity generation, and the CO2 released during transportation of wastes bottles to the landfill).
Are you sure about no production of CO2? What does the plant powering the machines fot producing the plastic bottles releasing to the atmosphere? Except the plastic bottles are natural too, just thinking!
Young Nigerians need to learn to think holistically, so that they do could better than their parents who successfully put the country in the mess that it is in now.
adeoflagos: [/quote]
adeoflagos:
[quote author=adeoflagos]
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by omanifrank(m): 6:43am On Aug 16, 2013
Black Peni5: WTF...What's the use of a light bulb in the afternoon when you could just open the windows.
on point
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by PezzoNovante(m): 7:20am On Aug 16, 2013
Dis na old news na...e don tey I see this thing for one news..can't remember d channel
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by caesaraba(m): 7:27am On Aug 16, 2013
PezzoNovante: Dis na old news na...e don tey I see this thing for one news..can't remember d channel

Aljazeera News. They ran a short documentary on it last month.
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by dapsonlou(m): 9:42am On Aug 16, 2013
this guy is a crook, people in the mountain of samoa have been using this for over 20yrs, i saw it in a documentary like 5yrs ago on the National geo
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by Pius007: 10:06am On Aug 16, 2013
Don't give a damp.But all the same is innovative.
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by eliteprince: 11:18pm On Aug 16, 2013
LEARN HOW TO UNLOCK ANY MODEM HERE {GLO Bolt,ZTE, MTN Huwaei E303, etc}
See Tutorial Here»

View Now

+ New!! TRICK TO GET UNLIMITED CREDITS ON MJOY NOW»
View HERE»»

ALSO, NEW!! FREE DSTV DECODER SOFTWARES FOR MOBILE!! WATCH YOUR DSTV CHANNELS NOW ON MOBILE SMARTPHONES {Andriod, BlackBerry, Iphone, Symbian] & PC
See Complete Tutorials Here..

»TWEAK UPDATES«

»»HOT NEW!! BLAZING ETISALAT UCWEB & OPERA HANDLER CHEAT WORKING ON ALL ANDRIOD!! NOW OUT©

+NEW!! HOW TO GET 2GB TWEAK ON MTN PULSE FOR JUST N200 TO BROWSE AND DOWNLOAD WORKING ON BOTH MOBILE & PC..

»» HOT NEW!! JWP IS BACK!! NOW BLAZING ON ETISALAT WITH SUPER DOWNLOAD SPEED

+NEW!! LEARN HOW TO USE AIRTEL UNLIMITED BIS N1,500 PLAN ON ANDRIOD AND JAVA PHONE!!
Now posted at

See Complete Tutorials HERE»»

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by okekev: 1:58am On Aug 17, 2013
SoccerFone-Football Quiz sets to unveil! It has so much to offer you. Do you know that you can be a winner to take a trip to the United Kingdom to watch this session's match or get an alternative cash prize of 500k so much more prizes to be won including an authentic customized jersey of your favourite club, smart phones, goodie bags, airtime etc! Just by dialing 32566 (MTN) and answer 5 soccer questions! Play the game now and WIN WIN WIN!Follow us @soccerfone Cheers! for the love of soccer...
Re: Mechanic Creates Lighting Bulbs From Plastic Water Bottles! by Nobody: 1:32pm On Aug 18, 2013
This is why Nigeria remains a consumer nation. Somebody comes up with an innovation and instead of seeing the opportunity inherent in it and try to improve on it(find a way to make it retain sunlight or something like that), folks are saying it is useless. There has not been an invention which was gotten right the first time. They are always fine-tuned for performance. In my opinion, this is a welcome development as other ideas could spring forth from it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meet Nigerian 28-year-old ‘rocket Inventor’ / Nigeria’s CSTP Completes Three Successful Experimental Rocket Launches / Coronavirus: Four Lions Test Positive For Covid-19 At Barcelona Zoo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.