Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,908 members, 7,942,271 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 05:30 AM

Abuja Airport Charges Money For Using Trolley - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja Airport Charges Money For Using Trolley (1365 Views)

9 Soldiers Pay Fine, For Using BRT Lane..... / DSS Arrests 14-year-old Boko Haram Suspect Spying At Abuja Airport / Alaafin Of Oyo & His Wives Cause A Stir At Abuja Airport (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja Airport Charges Money For Using Trolley by talktrue1(m): 12:58pm On Aug 15, 2013
I was surprised today when I want to use trolley to carry my luggage from the Airport and a girl sitting by the side of the trolley said that I have to pay. I shouted at her thinking that she wanted to use me as Mugu but she showed me a printed receipt for it, N150. I nearly drop the trolley and use my hand but I decide to pay so that I can post the receipt.

Other countries even offer free internet service at their airport but the case is different in Nigeria

My question is: Why is every service in Nigeria all about money? Any idea that will generate money is what the people in power want. All in the name of generating revenue. No more social welfare or basic amenities.

You pack your car on the road to see somebody, you pay; go to a recreation centre, you pay; and enough money is being generated from crude oil. Haba.

Re: Abuja Airport Charges Money For Using Trolley by Nobody: 3:26pm On Aug 15, 2013
Shut up! most US airports charges for trolleys. i dont think u have really been out of the country.
Most US airport charge around $2

So because Nigeria get money from crude oil everything should be free? Incredible !! shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Abuja Airport Charges Money For Using Trolley by enigmang: 4:16pm On Aug 15, 2013
Heathrow terminal 3 does same.., put your coin in before the trolley is released...

1 Like

Re: Abuja Airport Charges Money For Using Trolley by bloggernaija: 1:34am On Aug 16, 2013
Nigerian do not want to pay taxes .
They want everything for free and start complaining when their leaders give them free shit.
If cannot afford a trolley after buying a plane ticket, carry ya load for head.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Airport Charges Money For Using Trolley by manmustwac(m): 8:17pm On Aug 16, 2013
enigmang: Heathrow terminal 3 does same.., put your coin in before the trolley is released...
when. You return the trolly you get your coin back

1 Like

Re: Abuja Airport Charges Money For Using Trolley by Sloan: 8:26pm On Aug 16, 2013
Next time, buy those nice luggage bags that just roll on their own, you can out a small bag on the big one and it rolls it around for you! That is Naija for you!

1 Like

Re: Abuja Airport Charges Money For Using Trolley by enigmang: 10:02pm On Aug 16, 2013
manmustwac: when. You return the trolly you get your coin back

Nope not at all... It's not the same with the shopping cart coin system..
Re: Abuja Airport Charges Money For Using Trolley by manmustwac(m): 7:16am On Aug 17, 2013
enigmang:

Nope not at all... It's not the same with the shopping cart coin system..
It is i have been to Heathrow Airport many timesdude. When you insert your trolley in the queue of trolleys your coin comes out. There is no box in the trolleys for collecting coins
Re: Abuja Airport Charges Money For Using Trolley by Gbawe: 7:33am On Aug 17, 2013
enigmang: Heathrow terminal 3 does same.., put your coin in before the trolley is released...

Not the same thing at all as you get your money back once you finish with the trolley and return it to a valid station. I have complained about the point the OP raises also because I found it unpleasant to experience as a worldwide traveller. You people should be careful, perhaps because you operate in 'persecution mode' as a Nigerian, looking for automatic defence for what we must all condemn about our nation.

What they do at MMIA and Abuja is condemnable. You can fly into Lagos from other African Cities and be immediately confronted by a level of comparatively poor service and exploitation that should be a disgrace to Nigeria and something no Nigerian should defend. How will things get better if you guys have an automatic defence for how Nigeria is always typical of the worst available? OP is so right, it is not even funny.

I think folks like you who rush in to defend everything bad about Nigeria need to take a step back and understand that we are doing some things very badly, lawlessly and uncharitably. You guys should stop being emptily feudal all the time. You cannot compare the user experience of many world airports, eg wifi offered free as OP mentioned, to the 1920 experience offered in Nigeria. That is the truth pride and ego should not prevent us noting. Things do not improve when it is the users themselves defending what is in place when such is clearly inadequate in comparison to what obtains elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Airport Charges Money For Using Trolley by Tolexander: 7:46am On Aug 17, 2013
That is why you need to have your personal wheel barrow.
Re: Abuja Airport Charges Money For Using Trolley by Gbawe: 7:51am On Aug 17, 2013
bloggernaija: Nigerian do not want to pay taxes .
They want everything for free and start complaining when their leaders give them free shit.
If cannot afford a trolley after buying a plane ticket, carry ya load for head.

Dude, the issue is about exploitation and how our nation is now appalling irresponsible in comparison to others. Don't defend something clearly wrong because you feel you are defending the image of your nation. This same logic of "if you cannot afford it you do not use a phone" is what has landed us with GSM tariffs much higher than what is charged in nations with much higher average personal/household income than Nigeria.

Nothing, as a principled person, leaves a worst taste in the mouth than coming from an African airport to MMIA in Lagos to note the "every man for himself" greed that has now made Nigeria an unpleasant and unwelcoming place for well-travelled folks who are truly neutral and non-partisan. You will be 'extorted' till you leave MMIA and confronted by rude and badly trained officials who have probably never had deliberate and well-structured organisational behaviour orientation to make them aware of their obligations to the public.

Charging non-refundable fees for trolleys is exploitative and done virtually only in Nigeria. I am telling you this as a person who has visited over 30 nations of the world. No Nigerian should defend why it is our nation that always display excessive greed, a disregard for limits of decency and a distinct disinterest in doing what can make life better for all end users. The OP is very right to ask "why is every service in Nigeria all about money".

All right thinking Nigerians who have travelled to much richer nations than Nigeria will ask the same question too because our ruthless 'cash and carry' and "every man for himself" attitude is one that will end up leaving us with citizens desperate to earn more, by whatever means, to afford the needless exploitation one meets at every corner of Nigerian life. We all lose going down that road where we boil everything down to "affordability" and not humanity.
Re: Abuja Airport Charges Money For Using Trolley by owolabifunke14(f): 8:04am On Aug 17, 2013
Na Jona dey chop the money?? I just dey ask

(1) (Reply)

Gov. Akpabio Barred From Aso Rock Villa By President Goodluck Jonathan / Yoruba And Their Useless Interests / Breaking News On Anambra Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.