Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,107 members, 7,887,221 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 02:11 AM

Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike (9610 Views)

ASUU Leaders Assault Journalists In Minna Over Strike Report / Group Sues ASUU Over Strike / Father Sues ASUU Over Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by segsxpendable(m): 2:36pm On Aug 17, 2013
God go purnish both of dem(ASUU nd FG) if dey call off d strike now dat i av sumtin handy doin
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by Hearme(m): 2:40pm On Aug 17, 2013
PHIPEX:
that's just one of the problem. No one pays you for researches in Nigeria. A stop over at south Africa will show you what it means to sponsor a research. Even our tetfund here might not respond to your proposal after 3 years.

My own proffered solution is that minor tution fees be introduced if govt can no longer subsidize university education. Else, the universities will become like govt colleges in states who pay no fees and the governors only pay salaries and don't care about the existing infrastructure. You can imagine a class of 50 people now a class of 200 with student standing outside to hear lectures. Yet we complain of poor WAEC results and expect a well baked graduate for the system. No equipment for science student and all you teach is theory. I think we all know this is very bad and someone needs to take the step for a change. If a general private school in Lagos pays about 30-40K as Kindergartens fees per term, I don't see the reason why universities' should take fees of 17k for a session.

ASUU is paid to carryout research, let them find a better way to win their case because this strike as a tool of negotiation has failed. They have professors among them, can't they think of more viable options? If things remain as it is right now we will keep hearing of ASUU strikes in the next 20years. Somebody deviced strike as a negotiation tool, is it impossible for ASUU to device a new tool that suit their current state?
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by elrony(m): 2:41pm On Aug 17, 2013
killuminati: na kick boxing grin

Lol
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by Boss13: 3:14pm On Aug 17, 2013
If I am the president I will have a secret meeting with the V.Cs of all public universities and find way to scrap ASUU. I will also do so for Labour. Their strike actions yield no results. If Nigerian students don't know please let them know - there is a huge preference for private university students than public universities by employers. If Nigerian students are supporting these selfish lecturers it is at their own deteriment.
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by Amanwulu1(m): 3:28pm On Aug 17, 2013
untainted: I totally agree that strike actions have adverse effect on education but strike is the only weapon available to ASUU.
Government signs an agreement and refuses to implement it after 4 years.
ASUU calls press conference appealing to government and all Nigerians: Government remains unperturbed.
ASUU goes on strike and someone says there are better ways to agitate.
Please if you have a better weapon than strike say it and stop telling striking workers to find it.
d only tin ur likes think is fighting govment cos u're too dull to knw dat d innocent students bear d brunt more dan d govment.
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by Vanityupnvanity(m): 3:55pm On Aug 17, 2013
It‘s like the ASUU people are loosing the confidence of university students. Am i right? I‘ve been saying it right from the onset- ASUU is a selfish unoin!

1 Like

Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by Wittywizard(m): 4:27pm On Aug 17, 2013
Yungwizzzy: NB: incase you are a foreigner

Strike is an annual festival in Nigeria organized by ASUU when students are not expected to go to school for some few months
Oga ooh... You said that you are a student.. Abeg which skul sef u dey...your definition of strike is wrong... U ard deliberately focus on only ASUU.. What abt if Nlc (nigeria labour congress) or oda government is on strike... You can still as well ask google to help u
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by Thebrightest(m): 4:59pm On Aug 17, 2013
pls tell me oh

Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by onyeka205(m): 5:40pm On Aug 17, 2013
PHIPEX: I have been hearing of ASUU strike since I was a kid yet nothing good has come out of it. If the only instrument ASUU knows how to use in getting its demand is strike then am convinced that they have failed Nigeria students. I don't know the history of university development in developed countries but I doubt that they got there through strike actions (I stand to be corrected).

Students' time are wasted in school, some that have plans are frustrated in the name of strike yet at the end of it employers of labour will still place an age cap on their job adverts. If you have not been a victim you wouldn't understand how it feels to be an undergraduate in Nigeria.

Please suggest any other means you know ASUU can use to get the Federal Government to fulfil their agreement
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by peterprecious: 6:16pm On Aug 17, 2013
ASUU has made Strike an annual festival because it pays them while the students suffers.
At the end they will receive their salary when they didn't lecture, they don't sacrifice anytin. I think FG should pay them 50% of their salary or nothing for the period they didn't lecture & believe me they device another means instead punishing student for their selfish interest. #87b is not a small money o o, otherwise other professions wl start their own after ASUU.
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by SwTonia(f): 6:17pm On Aug 17, 2013
Dat ma skul repping.ASUU I DON TIRE 4 HOUSE
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by Mikkychuks(m): 6:42pm On Aug 17, 2013
Crinkum crinkam
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by ADEMOLAAAUA: 7:03pm On Aug 17, 2013
FG is just been selfish,because there Children are studying overseas .....Na God go Punish them.
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by ChiziDaniels(m): 8:18pm On Aug 17, 2013
*ASUU AND THE PURPORTED N87 BILLION SAGA*
We are talking about 'earned
allowances' only not basic salary. Sorry if I should enquire deeper, allowance for what? Sorting, sleeping with students, marginalizing and frustrating students, bribery, making handouts and textbooks compulsory or what ? Let's be sincere with ourselves, the average Nigerian lecturer teaches at most 3 courses and at least 1 course per semester. Outside this and marking scripts, what else do they do?
One common argument we have taken to in order to justify this 'extortive demand', is the issue of law makers and politicians receiving bogus salaries that are rather 'hilarious' else where. To this I say:

I can see our reasoning indeed! We are looking at the possibility of how to cut down the huge and gigantic sums political office holders receive and most of you here are using it as a strong premise to permit wrong! So an evil perpetrated should be used to usher in more?
Come to think of this: most of our
arguments here are grossly unwielded and overwhelmingly fallacious! So everyone should go ahead and demand huge allowances? We seem not to be reasoning alongside the progress of the nation. Taken the ebb that our political office holders are corrupt and selfishly greedy doesn't translate that the respectable gentlemen and ladies of the academia who're the quintessence of knowledge and erudition should follow suit. They should point the way out of the ugly tide rather than encouraging or adding to it. Should they succeed in 'amassing' this N87 billion from the nation's treasury, every other sector and body will also proceed to demand theirs and it will only end up in a spree of unrestrained laziness! - this is the consequence lurking behind this over ambitious demand from ASUU.
No one has attempted to give a
substantial and plausible argument to debunk the previous one I raise (Remember it's only allowances oh. Not the NEEDS again or even their basic salary that they're negotiating). The only forthcoming reason I get here is that because these corrupt political office holders are looting the nation, lectures should also join this repugnant trend. I will ask again: when will wrongs translate into right? How will committing more offences prevent crimes?
Pls let's all reason. We're not reasoning along the parameters of change! And mind you, I only sought for our reasons and not our insults! It goes to show how lazily clumsy and unscrupulous most of us could be!
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by ChiziDaniels(m): 8:22pm On Aug 17, 2013
The Federal Government has agreed to invest into the educational sector, to the tune of N400 billion to tackle the NEEDS issue which covers the universities' infrastructure and basic modern facilities!
www.nairaland.com/1402646/jonathan-approves-n400bn-varsities

Outside this, the Suswan-led committee has also raised another N100 billion to further assist in achieving this objective. I strongly believe that the govt is playing their part well to improve the system, except that greed and selfish ambition on the part of some 'related parties' to which ASUU is not exempted, has hindered the truth and progress of govt's effort. The N87 billion is entirely outside this NEEDS requirement and has nothing to do with it. It's just for the greedy stomachs of the rich elites of the university system. We should try and see these facts before rising ahead to entirely condemn the govt! It's always easy to condemn but hard to amend...
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by ChiziDaniels(m): 8:22pm On Aug 17, 2013
We are talking about 'earned
allowances' only not basic salary. Sorry if I should enquire deeper, allowance for what? Sorting, sleeping with students, marginalizing and frustrating students, bribery, making handouts and textbooks compulsory or what ? Let's be sincere with ourselves, the average Nigerian lecturer teaches at most 3 courses and at least 1 course per semester. Outside this and marking scripts, what else do they do?
One common argument we have taken to in order to justify this 'extortive demand', is the issue of law makers and politicians receiving bogus salaries that are rather 'hilarious' else where. To this I say:

I can see our reasoning indeed! We are looking at the possibility of how to cut down the huge and gigantic sums political office holders receive and most of you here are using it as a strong premise to permit wrong! So an evil perpetrated should be used to usher in more?
Come to think of this: most of our
arguments here are grossly unwielded and overwhelmingly fallacious! So everyone should go ahead and demand huge allowances? We seem not to be reasoning alongside the progress of the nation. Taken the ebb that our political office holders are corrupt and selfishly greedy doesn't translate that the respectable gentlemen and ladies of the academia who're the quintessence of knowledge and erudition should follow suit. They should point the way out of the ugly tide rather than encouraging or adding to it. Should they succeed in 'amassing' this N87 billion from the nation's treasury, every other sector and body will also proceed to demand theirs and it will only end up in a spree of unrestrained laziness! - this is the consequence lurking behind this over ambitious demand from ASUU.
No one has attempted to give a
substantial and plausible argument to debunk the previous one I raise (Remember it's only allowances oh. Not the NEEDS again or even their basic salary that they're negotiating). The only forthcoming reason I get here is that because these corrupt political office holders are looting the nation, lectures should also join this repugnant trend. I will ask again: when will wrongs translate into right? How will committing more offences prevent crimes?
Pls let's all reason. We're not reasoning along the parameters of change! And mind you, I only sought for our reasons and not our insults! It goes to show how lazily clumsy and unscrupulous most of us could be!

1 Like

Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by texazzpete(m): 9:04pm On Aug 17, 2013
As far as I'm concerned, anyone who does not side with ASUU in this matter is a traitor! The Federal Government is hell bent on destroying the public tertiary educational system in Nigeria.

Don't blame ASUU. Blame the people who elected this lame duck president who, in a 2011 debate, said that the only problem Nigerian Universities face today is 'poor hostel accommodation'.

Only in Nigeria do you see Doctors, Nurses, University lecturers et al poorly remunerated and people expect wonders from these essential workers.
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by oc2fish: 9:29pm On Aug 17, 2013
Student are in a hurry to graduate without the basic knowledge in the name of finish school.
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by Hearme(m): 10:42pm On Aug 17, 2013
onyeka205:

Please suggest any other means you know ASUU can use to get the Federal Government to fulfil their agreement

don't mind them may be they want ASUU to use APC and AK47 or carry Egungun so that govt will improve our facilities and Nigerians in diaspora can return to our universities and hospitals and stop running abroad. Fake cry by govt on brain drain.
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by yuzafsif: 12:10am On Aug 18, 2013
u r right AAKUT i lyk n we r going to start a protest.KUST 4 lyf
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by remmyz(m): 7:32am On Aug 18, 2013
I have always blame ASUU wen Dey go on strike, but on a second thought, if FG can bail out the banking sector with billion of Nair's, bail out the manufacturing sector, nollywood and some other sectors with billion of Naira. what stops them from bailing out the education sector. abi all this sector FG is bailing out no b naija student whey get proper education go Dey work there ni? I think our present crops of politicians aren't being sincere. they Dnt want us to be well educated cause Dey know once our generation is well educated, we will break from their shackles of corruption and darkness.

1 Like

Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by jafsumar07: 8:21am On Aug 18, 2013
Evalsam1: AAKUT shld allow ASUU to fight 4 their right Jo o.

which other means did they what ASUU to use apart from strike?

Dey may go to court to seek wateva redress dey wnt, so far dia rights hv been violated. Grounding academic activities jst cos 'mere allownce' is totally illogical. Simple

1 Like

Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by mashin(m): 9:10am On Aug 18, 2013
Its very funny someone is calling teaching only. Our govt. Is totally to be blamed in this strike being that Nigeria has no reason for being poor if not bcoz of looting, if govt claim not to have money as said by Ngozi then the govt should slash the jumbo pay of the legislators. ASUU merit wat ever they demand including earned allowances. Must everybody be a politician in nigeria to earn much money? If govt. Cant handle their universities then they should privatised it to Ghana to help them run it. Shame on the govt. European countries make money from us bcoz most of us prefer schooling abroad wt the slightest opporturnity. If they had poor educational syst. We wudnt b going there.
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by chi2012(f): 9:51am On Aug 18, 2013
idugbe: Abeg, who won in the match between Eyimba and Bayelsa united? Abi no be the topic?

LOL..... U not serious'
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by jarkata(m): 11:50am On Aug 18, 2013
Does dis have anything to stop agbero frm collecting money frm bus stop?
Re: Kano University Alumni Slam ASUU Over Strike by mindyourword: 9:27am On Aug 19, 2013
when you are talking to Arabian you speak Arabic language,
when you are speaking to Brazilian you speak the language
they understand. when speaking to Nigerian you speak the language
Nigerians political leaders understand which is STRIKE.
although it is detrimental to education standard but it is the
only panacea we understand in this country.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nasarawa State Uni. Keffi PG Sales Of Form 2015/2016 / Uniben Post Ume 2012/2013 / Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.