Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,060 members, 7,883,681 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 02:22 PM

People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? (7102 Views)

The Most Meaningful Xperience I've Had In My 2+ Yrs Of Flying / How Can One Overcome The Fear Of Flying? / I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by oYaTo(m): 9:37am On Jun 10, 2008
Kai!

Dis Nigeria1 dude don come again!

Last time he was displaying his foolishness with an irrational view of Yoruba Politics. . .

This time around he dey display satelite pics like say hin dey work for CIA NASA. . .

Na wa o. . .wetin we go see nextwe really must petition the asylum authorities to remove that damn pc from your room. . .
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by tkb417(m): 10:59am On Jun 10, 2008
LOL!!!
its berra flying big planes especially the international routes. That doesnt give me issues but all those our Lagos-Abuja thingy. Chei!!! na wa for those ones.

The most dreaded for me is this aero contractor small jet they use for Lagos-benin.
if u want hypertension, just fly that plane to Benin from Lagos.

I remember early 2006 on my way to benin from Lagos, i sat behind some pretty girls (working for a consulting firm) . as the flight was going on, we entered  turbulence and my oh my, the plane was shaking like it was going to fall down, the next thing, one of the girls started speaking in tongues. . .i actually wanted to laff but fear no let me.
The plane eventually couldnt land in benin but went to Warri to land.
Do you know that those girls decided to chatter a cab to Benin because they feared the plane wont make it.
Omo, i laff no be small. an hour later, we departed for benin without those girls.

see wetin fear dey cause. . .

@Poster
just be calm and please make sure you fly the good ones(planes).
imagine some people flying afrikair to London!!
chei!!!!
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by ArmedLion(m): 11:52am On Jun 10, 2008
It's not a most that you should travel abroad, so if you are afraid to fly, then stay off it
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by PurestBoy(m): 1:14pm On Jun 10, 2008
I have nothing to contribute because I've not been to the airport let alone boarding a plane. But I believe someday, I will go to America, Europe and the rest, grin
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by oYaTo(m): 1:25pm On Jun 10, 2008
@purest boy I feel ya. . .

me sef neva, na dis wkend go be my first. . .and i'm havin' mixed feelings. .

I've heard about the cabin pressure that affects one's ears, and i don buy chewing gum cos dem talk am 4 dis site say e dey help grin
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by PurestBoy(m): 2:01pm On Jun 10, 2008
oYaTo:

@purest boy I feel ya. . .

me sef never, na this wkend go be my first. . .and i'm havin' mixed feelings. .

I've heard about the cabin pressure that affects one's ears, and i don buy chewing gum because them talk am 4 this site say e dey help grin

But I heard that chewing gum is not allowed on board. Is that true?
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by oYaTo(m): 2:07pm On Jun 10, 2008
I neva hear dat one o. . i go dey chop my tin b4 i enter plane na grin
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by ofurufu(m): 6:56pm On Jun 10, 2008
My own formula that solves FLIGHTPHOBIA consists of two parts:

1. As a Muslim, I believe in Qadar(Predestination). So If Allah had decreed I'm going to die by plane crash, there is just no preventing it. However Islam also teaches us that PRAYER can have effect. So after praying, I leave the rest to God,no fear again--what will happen will happen

2.I use the theory of probability: More than 500 flights take place during the year and the maximum that end up crashing in a year is 3. So the probability that the plane I'm travelling in will crash is very slim (roughly 3/500). Why not relax and assume nothing will happen

That's my own panacea to FLIGHT PHOBIA
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by Tegese: 7:25pm On Jun 10, 2008
ofurufu:

My own formula that solves FLIGHTPHOBIA consists of two parts:

1. As a Great One, I believe in Qadar(Predestination). So If God had decreed I'm going to die by plane crash, there is just no preventing it.
who told you that you are great ? no great person would call himself a "great one", let others say so
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by detruth: 8:29pm On Jun 10, 2008
ofurufu:

2.I use the theory of probability: More than 500 flights take place during the year and the maximum that end up crashing in a year is 3. So the probability that the plane I'm travelling in will crash is very slim (roughly 3/500).

Ofurufu the "great", I think I feel you here, but for that "qadar", that one no be my portion! Never! grin
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by lailai2(m): 9:46pm On Jun 10, 2008
but 3 planes still crash, 3?, 3?, 3?, 3?

thats too much
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by DrKitaun(m): 10:52pm On Jun 10, 2008
@Tegese

does any one need to be told what GREAT ONE means on NL ?

HE WHO DOESNT SHOULD ASK SEUN . . . lipsrsealed
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by ty4real(m): 1:26am On Jun 11, 2008
Dr Kitaun:

@Tegese

does any one need to be told what GREAT ONE means on Nairaland ?

Dont trespass or else another great war will start niyen ooo grin grin grin grin
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by detruth: 8:20am On Jun 11, 2008
Which is the safest Airline? - I lately made some discoveries;

Officially, it is not possible to get a ranking of airline safety because of the difficulty of getting the accident rates data reliably from the Airlines or even the responsible aviation authorities.  For instance, as late as 1996, the FAA was not providing the statistics to the consumers. Their rationale: to prevent public disclosure of sensitive information to the public.  However, the former Inspector General of the US Department of Transportation, Mary Schiavo rejected this argument, saying that the flying consumer, that is, the public who has the greatest interest in knowing the safety rates of airlines should not be deprived of such information and did release some data later on when she resigned from the Office.
I have however compiled some information that I have gathered from various sources and came up with some unofficial rankings below.  Accidents can be a result of many factors.  It is never easy to make good comparisons but I will endeavor to do so by using accident rates only.  Accident rates are defined as the number of safety problems that arose for every 100,000 take-offs.
As a general rule, airlines from the First World have a better safety record than those from the less developed World.  The safety of an airline is dependent on many factors, namely the management of the Company, the age of the aircraft, how well are the training standards being maintained, whether standard operating procedures are properly adhered to, proper maintenance of aircraft and sometimes, there are other outside factors which are beyond the airlines’ control.  Thus, accident that arose can be attributed to a combination of many factors.
Listed below are the 10 safest Airlines for each region of the world.  It is meant to serve as an unofficial ranking and as well as a general guidance to the air traveler.   The Rankings listed below are compiled from AirDisaster.com, Boeing's Statistical Summary of Commercial Jet Airplanes Accidents: 1959-1999 and some from Mary Schiavo's book, Flying Safe, Flying Blind. There are many criteria used by other organizations to provide safety statistics for airlines, and aviation authorities are reluctant to come to a consensus and provide an official one. Thus, where the accident rates varies,  I have done some juggling by averaging the results in order to come out with these unofficial rankings.  Therefore, I cannot guarantee accuracy or endorse any airlines or aircraft based on them. These rankings are based on average accident rates only  and are subjected to corrections from time to time.

Safest Airlines

United States and Canada
Rankings Airlines          Accident Rate
1 South West 0.00
2 America West 0.00
3 Delta Airlines 0.23
4 North West 0.35
5 Continental Airlines 0.40
6 United Airlines 0.43
7 USAir                 0.45
8 Air Canada 0.48
9 Aloha Airlines 0.49
10 American Airlines 0.53

United States and Canada are classified under the First World category.  From the table above,
the accident rates for all the 10 Airlines are below 1.0, indicating that they have a very safe record.

Caribbean & Latin/South America Regions
Rankings Airlines                      Accident Rate
1 Mexicana Airlines                 0.53
2 Aerolineas Argentinas 1.20
3 Varig                                 1.22
4 Aeromexico                 1.85
5 Transbrazil                 2.35
6 Avianca                                 3.15
7 VASP                                 3.24
8 LAN Chile                          4.00
9 Aero Peru                  16.7
10 Cubana                    24.0

In the Caribbean & Latin/South American Regions, the disparity between the safest and the least
safe is quite marked. The first five rankings seem reasonable even though they are classified under
the Developing World category.

Europe
Rankings Airlines            Accident Rate
1 British Airways 0.270
2 Luthansa                 0.300
3 SAS          0.595
4 British Midlands 0.680
5 Braathens SAFE 0.695
6 Alitalia                 0.750
7 Iberia        0.845
8 Air France 0.870
9 KLM          1.030
10 TAP Portugal l.060

European Airlines all come under the First World category and their records indicate their better
safety standards. 

Africa and Middle East
Rankings Airlines         Accident Rate
1 South African 0.63
2 Saudi Airlines 1.40
3 Royal Air Moroc 1.54
4 Kenyan Airways 3.00
5 Air Afrique 3.33
6 Ethopian                 4.00
7 Nigerian Airways 5.00
8 Egypt Air    8.00
9 Royal Jordanian 8.82
10 Air Zimbabwe 12.50

In Africa and the Middle East, only South Africa has been grouped under the First World category. 
Its record is fairly impressive when compared to the other African/Middle East countries.

Rankings Airlines            Accident Rate
1 QANTAS    0.00
2 All Nippon Airways 0.22
3 Air New Zealand 0.74
4 Cathay Pacific Airways 0.97
5 Malaysia Airlines 1.11
6 Thai International 1.90
7 Singapore/Silk Air 2.00
8 Japan Airlines 2.05
9 Garuda Airlines 4.08
10 Phillippines Airlines 4.68

Australia and Asia
Qantas is one of the safest airlines in the world with a record of zero fatalities in its many years of operation. However, one of its Boeing 747 was involved in an accident during a landing in Bangkok.  Although there were no fatalities, the damage to the airplane was quite extensive.  Instead of writing off the hull that would be cheaper, it appears that Qantas decided to repair the airplane to maintain a zero hull loss record!
According to the table, All Nippon Airways has an even better record than most of the American or European best Airlines.

Which is the safest airplane?
Newer airplanes are naturally safer. The Boeing 777 has been in operation for more than 7 years and has the least accident rate.  It is a very versatile airplane and has many safety features.  It is the first aircraft to be completely designed by computers and has the latest avionics and navigational systems. However, all other aircraft are just as safe. The certification of every aircraft models must comply with the same set of standards otherwise they would not be released by the authorities for the carriage of passengers.
Below is a list of safest aircraft rankings based on average accident rates.  So far, the Boeing 777 and the Airbus 340 have a clean record and are therefore rated safest based on accident rates. The Airbus 330 had a fatal crash* during a simulated engine failure in Toulouse in 1994, hence ranked in third position.
Air France has decommissioned the Concorde in May 2003. This is to be followed by British Airways in October 2003.  The introduction of the Concorde was way ahead of its time but it suffers from being a very expensive airplane to operate due to the high fuel cost and bad publicity after the July 25 crashes. Only two Airlines operated this airplane.  Air France had five and British Airways with seven. The entire British Airways Concorde fleet was reported to have cracks in the wings. One of the airplanes had to be grounded when the cracks were found to be expanding. The Concorde flew very few flights as compared to other commercial aircraft.  It did about 80,000 takeoffs in its entire 24 years of operation. Hence, its accident rate of 12.02 and poor ranking does not do justice to its safety records. A million takeoffs are usually considered the point where accident rate starts to mean something.
As above, where the accident rates from various sources vary,  I have done some juggling by averaging the results in order to come out with these unofficial rankings.  Therefore, I cannot guarantee accuracy or endorse any aircraft based on them. These rankings are based on average accident rates only  and are subjected to corrections from time to time.

Safest Airplane

Rankings Aircraft Model Accident Rate
1 Boeing 777 0.00
1 Airbus 340 0.00
3 Airbus 330 0.00*
4 Boeing 767 0.32
5 Saab 340 0.33
6 Boeing 757 0.35
7 McDonnell MD-80 0.43
8 Boeing 737 0.60
9 BAE 146 0.64
10 Airbus 319/320/321 0.67
11 Fokker 100 0.71
11 Embraer 120 0.71
13 L-1011 Tristar 0.91
14 Boeing 747-400 1.04
15 Boeing 727 1.05
16 McDonnell DC-9 1.29
17 Airbus 300 1.34
18 Airbus 310 1.83
19 McDonnell DC-10 2.41
20 Fokker 28                 3.54
21 Embraer 110 3.73
22 McDonnell MD-11 4.59
23 Aerospatile Concorde* 12.02

Sources: AirDisaster.com, Boeing, FAA.
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by ofurufu(m): 11:50am On Jun 11, 2008
Tegese:

who told you that you are great ? no great person would call himself a "great one", let others say so

For asking such question, it's either you are a JJC in Nairaland or you don't go to RELIGION THREAD, and I presume the former.
Dr Kitaun:

@Tegese

does any one need to be told what GREAT ONE means on Nairaland ?

Thank you jare Dr. Kitaun, let whoever doesn't know ask the owner of this forum(Seun-I hope Tegese will not ask who is Seun again)

Not to leave you(Tegese) totally lost, let me give you this simple assignment and you will understand all what we've been saying:

Type OFURUFU IS A M'USLIM (remove that apostrophe after M ,i.e spell the word normally)and post it as reply. Whatever you see let me know!!!!   No be magic oooooooooooooooo
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by lailai2(m): 10:58pm On Jun 11, 2008
boeing 777 and Aerospatile Concorde
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by RDV(m): 12:40am On Jun 12, 2008
To everybody who is scared of flying, abeg, make una no worry, it is perfectly normal to be scared of flying because it is not natural for human beings to fly. If God originally wanted us to fly, he would have given us wings instead of arms! grin

Fear of flying is caused mostly by 4 factors:

1. Not being in control, and most importantly, not being able to see out of the front window!! (unlike when you are driving your own car)
2. Strange, uncomfortable sensations that you are not used to (e.g. turbulence)
3. Strange sounds and noises that come from the aeroplane (you dont know if it is a normal sound, or if the wing is actually falling off!!!)
4. The knowledge that an airplane accident usually has very catastrophic end results, and stories and reports you have heard about previous plane crashes.

It is NOT possible to completely get rid of the fear of flying. The best you can do is learn to control your response to the 4 factors I mentioned. And one of the best ways to do that is to actually become better informed. Getting boozed up, or overdosing on sleeping pills doesnt help you control the fear,, it makes you forget the fear until you sober up or wake up, and then the fear comes back, times two!!!!

Without going into detail that will resemble a university lecture, grin, make I suggest a way to start to cope with the 4 factors;

1. Not being in control - yes, you are not in control, but the pilots who are in control are very well trained, undergo recurrent training every 3 months, are flying aeroplanes that are designed to withstand turbulence 10 times as bad as any you will ever see in real life, have families just like you so will not be taking any "cowboy" risks, and fly nearly every day of their lives and therefore are experienced. Airlines exist on their reputation, and safety is the biggest reputation builder for airlines, so if you can, always choose a reputable airline. The extra naira you pay more than some other cheaper airlines is your insurance against having poorly trained people in control of your flight. If you ride on a train, you also cannot see the front, but you dont get scared like you do in a plane, do you? That is because your brain tells you that in such a tense and unfamiliar situation, it needs to see the front in order to work out what is going on, i.e. if factors 2, 3 and 4 did not also exist, you would not worry about not being able to see the front.

2. Strange sensations and turbulence - In normal everyday life, your body and brain are used to moving in 2 certain dimensions, up/down and left/right, but not usually at the same time. When you fly, the aircraft moves in 3 dimensions, and also mostly all at the same time. That causes all sorts of funny feelings in your stomach and head, and makes you uncomfortable. In turbulence, all those movememnts are exaggerated, that is what makes turbulence so scary. Turbulence itself is caused by movement of the earths air. It is the same movement that causes clouds to form. So wherever you see clouds, you are sure to get turbulence. When you see those kind of clouds that you just know that when the rain starts, the whole of lagos is going to be flooded, those are the worst for turbulence, and pilots actually fly around them instead of flying through them. The other cause of turbulence is just change in wind speed and direction at high level. When a small breeze is blowing on the ground, the minimum wind speed at 25000 feet will be around 100km/h. Somewhere between the ground and 2500ft, the speed and direction will vary and as you fly through wherever it changes, you will get turbulence.

3. Strange noises and sounds - if you are really worried, ask the cabin crew or the pilots (after the flight). They hear those sounds everyday, and will be able to tell you what it is / was. And then you will know, and if you hear it again on another flight, you will already know what it is.

4. Danger of flying - whenever a plane crash happens, it is very very big news because a) it does not happen often, and b) when it does, the tragedy that will all be concentrated in one spot. But think about this - as a human race, car travel is actually more dangerous to us than flying. If you add up the total number of people who die in car accidents all over the world in 1 year, and compare it to the number of people who die in airplane accidents all over the world in 1 year, car travel is at least 20 times more risky. shocked. For an average traveller, the chances of being involved in an airplane accident are something like 1 in 10 million. Every time you read about, hear about, or think about an air accident, give thanks to God for you not being involved, pray for those that were, and then put it all in the context that nothing in life is risk free, all we as human beings do, is try to minimise the risk. The rest is up to God Almighty.
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by dyabman(m): 9:56am On Jun 12, 2008
RDV:

To everybody who is scared of flying, abeg, make una no worry, it is perfectly normal to be scared of flying because it is not natural for human beings to fly. If God originally wanted us to fly, he would have given us wings instead of arms! grin

Fear of flying is caused mostly by 4 factors:

1. Not being in control, and most importantly, not being able to see out of the front window!! (unlike when you are driving your own car)
2. Strange, uncomfortable sensations that you are not used to (e.g. turbulence)
3. Strange sounds and noises that come from the aeroplane (you don't know if it is a normal sound, or if the wing is actually falling off!!!)
4. The knowledge that an airplane accident usually has very catastrophic end results, and stories and reports you have heard about previous plane crashes.

It is NOT possible to completely get rid of the fear of flying. The best you can do is learn to control your response to the 4 factors I mentioned. And one of the best ways to do that is to actually become better informed. Getting boozed up, or overdosing on sleeping pills doesnt help you control the fear,, it makes you forget the fear until you sober up or wake up, and then the fear comes back, times two!!!!

Without going into detail that will resemble a university lecture, grin, make I suggest a way to start to cope with the 4 factors;

1. Not being in control - yes, you are not in control, but the pilots who are in control are very well trained, undergo recurrent training every 3 months, are flying aeroplanes that are designed to withstand turbulence 10 times as bad as any you will ever see in real life, have families just like you so will not be taking any "cowboy" risks, and fly nearly every day of their lives and therefore are experienced. Airlines exist on their reputation, and safety is the biggest reputation builder for airlines, so if you can, always choose a reputable airline. The extra naira you pay more than some other cheaper airlines is your insurance against having poorly trained people in control of your flight. If you ride on a train, you also cannot see the front, but you don't get scared like you do in a plane, do you? That is because your brain tells you that in such a tense and unfamiliar situation, it needs to see the front in order to work out what is going on, i.e. if factors 2, 3 and 4 did not also exist, you would not worry about not being able to see the front.

2. Strange sensations and turbulence - In normal everyday life, your body and brain are used to moving in 2 certain dimensions, up/down and left/right, but not usually at the same time. When you fly, the aircraft moves in 3 dimensions, and also mostly all at the same time. That causes all sorts of funny feelings in your stomach and head, and makes you uncomfortable. In turbulence, all those movememnts are exaggerated, that is what makes turbulence so scary. Turbulence itself is caused by movement of the earths air. It is the same movement that causes clouds to form. So wherever you see clouds, you are sure to get turbulence. When you see those kind of clouds that you just know that when the rain starts, the whole of lagos is going to be flooded, those are the worst for turbulence, and pilots actually fly around them instead of flying through them. The other cause of turbulence is just change in wind speed and direction at high level. When a small breeze is blowing on the ground, the minimum wind speed at 25000 feet will be around 100km/h. Somewhere between the ground and 2500ft, the speed and direction will vary and as you fly through wherever it changes, you will get turbulence.

3. Strange noises and sounds - if you are really worried, ask the cabin crew or the pilots (after the flight). They hear those sounds everyday, and will be able to tell you what it is / was. And then you will know, and if you hear it again on another flight, you will already know what it is.

4. Danger of flying - whenever a plane crash happens, it is very very big news because a) it does not happen often, and b) when it does, the tragedy that will all be concentrated in one spot. But think about this - as a human race, car travel is actually more dangerous to us than flying. If you add up the total number of people who die in car accidents all over the world in 1 year, and compare it to the number of people who die in airplane accidents all over the world in 1 year, car travel is at least 20 times more risky. shocked. For an average traveller, the chances of being involved in an airplane accident are something like 1 in 10 million. Every time you read about, hear about, or think about an air accident, give thanks to God for you not being involved, pray for those that were, and then put it all in the context that nothing in life is risk free, all we as human beings do, is try to minimise the risk. The rest is up to God Almighty.

If u cant fly then swim, okay
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by unit(f): 10:37am On Jun 13, 2008
The first thing passengers forget when flying is that the captain and his crew are human too and won't risk their lives to make money for their companies.They have families back home they also want to get back to so they wont fly any faulty plane and risk making their wives widows or their children fatherless or motherless as the case maybe.
Even in naija our pilots love life too and wont risk their lives for a 50minute ride across the country just to get you your destination. So the next time you get scared because you think the plane will crash,remember the captain wont want to die trying to get you to where-ever.
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by jerryomega(m): 6:14pm On Jun 13, 2008
My Dear friend,
     You see, spiritual world is more frightening than physical world, that is why God hide our inner eyes from perceiving evil and holy spirit always. The point I'm trying to make here is you fear what your mind is in doubt of. For you to have control over this, try to divert your attention to other thing immediately when you are onboard. Try these:

- Listen to music with earpiece attached and picture your aircraft like an hotel rather than flying machine.
- Focus your mind on interior not exterior. Because once you are looking through the   window, you may be a bit scare with respect to the height and size of your cargo
- You can also try gamming, thank God there are alot of portable types all around you.
- Finally always have somebody to chat with, this will surely conquer your fear.

A word of warning here, first-time traveller may need additional counselling and; I think this should not make you to commit your ways into God's hand. Even there abound accident is just trecking.
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by Orimili(m): 11:06pm On Jun 13, 2008
Unless you want to stay in the same place for the rest of your life, just take the flight.
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by Gabry(f): 5:47am On Jun 15, 2008
Sleeping pills might work.
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by MethodMan3(m): 7:17pm On Jun 15, 2008
This flying thing na serious thing oo!

People dey sweat like say dem chop hot "adedibu" amala while some dey turn prayer warrior for on top air!
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by hannydarl(f): 10:10pm On Jun 15, 2008
No remedy just say your prayers days in advance and believe God will take control. I was afraid and still am afraid of flying but i fly twice or trice every year I spend a whole day flying from owerri to lag from lag to a transit country and from there to my destination when i travel its so scary but what can i do the safest thing if one must do something is to take sleeping pill as soon as you get on board so you sleep the journey away but Id rather be alert in case of kasala burst while on my way.
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by MyAfriplac: 9:31pm On Jun 19, 2008
The only reason people are afraid of flying especially nigerians is because they do not fly often enough. Africans fly only when necessary and if there is no other options. Plus the belief that Naija place are flying wreakages doesn't help matters. if is only right to say your prayers even before you board a plane but you must do the same before you enter a car also, since statistically planes are safer.

www.myafriplace.com
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by tipsy289(m): 7:48am On Jun 23, 2008
If you google it, a lot of things will come out but of course not everything will work for everyone.
I sometimes still get scared during take-off especially when the last time i flew was really long but once air-borne,its all good.
and please the people advising you to take alcohol,not a smart idea.The air is pressurised up there and you are dehydrated and feel so tired.Just take a bottle of water and walk around from time to time in the cabin
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by Elgaxton(m): 5:54pm On Jun 23, 2008
What make People afraid of Flying? I wonder why my younger brother finds it chilly while on board. Can someone help with an advise?

Tell him to just assume he is in a lift (Elevator), I really do wonder why pple dislike flying sha.
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by Hardballer(m): 10:20am On Jun 27, 2008
maybe if you smoke and get high on the ground you wont feel it on the plane
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by Ohenry(m): 6:00pm On Jun 27, 2008
People have all sorts of phobias and I wouldn't really blame a lot of Nigerians for being so scared of flying. It obviously has a lot to do with the spate of horrible crashes our nation has experienced in recent.

But my advice is to take consolation in the law of averages. Air travel is definitely safer than road travel here. Government is also doing more in the area of technical regulation of the airline operators. Hopefully, all the flying "Mammy Wagons" would be phased out and high tech airplanes bought to replace them.

Just confront your fears head on by flying more frequently but if that doesn't work, consider sticking to overland travel.
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by naijadiva2(f): 6:55pm On Jun 27, 2008
the only remedy i have is to pray constantly right from take off to landing. wink
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by kunle123: 3:56pm On Jun 30, 2008
I don't know why people afraid of flying, but I'm having a dream to become a pilot in my life what ill I do? flying up in the air is not my problem the only solution for those people is to consulte a pilot grin
Re: People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? by dezy: 1:29pm On Jul 02, 2008
Honestly flying scares the shit out of me. I always reconcile with God while on air because it's so amazing to imagine being up there and something happens, Buoy!it's horror! Can u imagine what each seconds would feel like assuming something bad happens? Taking sleeping pills would not be a bad idea. I would not want to witness anything cos it will be quite faster when asleep than awake where a second would feel like eternity.

Most times i drink a lot of alcoholic wine while on air to feel, u know, kind of careless about the whole thing, i mean pretend like i can handle it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Congratulations Australian Visa App Is Now Online (cable) / Arik Again? Passenger Hold Arik Plane Hostage For 3 Hours / Max Air To Evacuate 560 Nigerians From Egypt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.