Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,856 members, 7,872,855 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:16 AM

ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU (12269 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU Strike Update: Crucial Meeting Said To Be Holding Today / ASUU Strike Update (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by Manchidede(m): 6:17am On Aug 19, 2013
ASUU strike: Jonathan approves N400bn lifeline –SSANU

The end to the present strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) may be in sight as President Goodluck Jonathan has approved N400 billion for the infrastructural development of Nigerian universities.

The document to this effect is expected to be made available today at the meeting of the presidential committee on implementation of the NEEDS assessment in the universities with the leaders of the four university-based unions – the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU), the Non-Academic Staff Union of Educational and Associated Institutions (NASU), the National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT) and the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).

The President of SSANU, Samson Ugwoke, made the revelation while addressing his union members at the SSANU National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting held at the weekend at the University of Abuja.

Ugwoke, briefing the SSANU members on the activities of the NEEDS assesment implementation committee, led by Benue State Governor, Gabriel Suswam. He noted that the fund was different from the N100 billion Governor Suswam had raised from donor agencies and big companies to tackle the problems of Nigerian universities in 2013.

The labour leader said: “Let me give you a tip on what the NEEDS assessment committee is doing. The president has approved that within the next four years; N400 billion would be expended in infrastructural development of Nigerian universities, to transform the universities to international standard.

“N100 billion has already been raised by Suswam committee out of which 61 universities have been pencilled down, as contained in the NEEDS assessement committee. The N100 billion is expected to address needs of the universities in the areas which include re-furbishing and renovation of lecture theatres and lecture halls, re-furbishing and renovation of laboratories/libraries and the renovation of hostels.

“The second category is building of new hostels of international standard, self-contained rooms, the latest model in the world. That is the standard to be built in every university, and also the state-of-the-art laboratories as well as classrooms, lecture theatres and the halls.”

Ugwoke pointed out that the money had been shared and out of the N100 billion, N96 billion had been sent to universities.

He added: “The committee is meeting again on Monday, and by Monday (today), the document will be out. This time around, it is not only by giving university money, but it will be monitored to ensure that the money is used to transform the universities, to bail universities out of the present situation and developed to an international recognized university standard.”

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/ASUU-strike-jonathan-approves-n400bn-lifeline-ssanu/

http://..com/2013/08/ASUU-strike-update-jonathan-approves.html
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by LogoJ(m): 6:28am On Aug 19, 2013
Stil gat hope sha, al is wel
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by Rexsul: 6:41am On Aug 19, 2013
does dat mean i wil av 2 vote 4 gej come 2015 embarassed ?
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by Nobody: 7:13am On Aug 19, 2013
I really pity GEJ and Nigeria...
GEJ is being forced and pushed to do some s¡lly things just to satisfy everybody..

400bn is about to move into the belly of some crooks..

Our major problem is not money, but Mismanagement.

The school fee of about 20,000 undergraduates in addition with the over 15,000 pre-degree, diploma, and post-graduate students is almost enough to succesfully run a standard higher institution.

No one cares about the facility (if it gets damaged) since na government property.

I really pity our country..
We all know this fund will yield nothing! aside new SUVs around campus and other petty lab equipments that will be used in producing nothing aside generating and disbursing graduates without employment..

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by RINE1: 7:51am On Aug 19, 2013
Manchidede: The N100 billion is expected to address needs of the universities in the areas which include re-furbishing and renovation of lecture theatres and lecture halls, re-furbishing and renovation of laboratories/libraries and the renovation of hostels.

“The second category is building of new hostels of international standard, self-contained rooms, the latest model in the world. That is the standard to be built in every university, and also the state-of-the-art laboratories as well as classrooms, lecture theatres and the halls.”

This time around, it is not only by giving university money, but it will be monitored to ensure that the money is used to transform the universities, to bail universities out of the present situation and developed to an international recognized university standard.”

nor be so una day Talk?
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by OME1(m): 8:36am On Aug 19, 2013
Na their wahala be that..

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by Nobody: 8:43am On Aug 19, 2013
acidosis™:

That is our Major problem, MISMANAGEMENT!!
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by premlove(m): 8:50am On Aug 19, 2013
acidosis™:
I really pity GEJ and Nigeria...
GEJ is being forced and pushed to do some s¡lly things just to satisfy everybody..

400bn is about to move into the belly of some crooks..

The school fee of about 20,000 undergraduates in addition with the over 15,000 pre-degree, diploma, and post-graduate students is almost enough to succesfully run a standard higher institution.

No one cares about the facility (if it gets damaged) since na government property.

I really pity our country..
We all know this fund will yield nothing! aside new SUVs around campus and other petty lab equipments that will be used in producing nothing aside generating and disbursing graduates without employment..
we are good in analysing issue that we dont have ideal abt even though u may be partially correct while dont we allow ASSU and the rest should do what there have been fighting for in almost five to six years now
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by tonasibe: 9:23am On Aug 19, 2013
Will that change the way the lecturers take students...ASUU don dey overdo am now....all the public lecturers teaching summer classes in private universities now...
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by otokx(m): 9:32am On Aug 19, 2013
SSANU is a confused lot, their current union executhieves in uniport are mostly thieves.
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by lakesguy(m): 9:48am On Aug 19, 2013
Itz well' mk dem sha kal off diz strike!
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by striker9(m): 9:49am On Aug 19, 2013
Let's wait for the outcome of the meeting.
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by In2systemsTech(m): 10:57am On Aug 19, 2013
The students need to get back to school...
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by mistayeancah(m): 11:19am On Aug 19, 2013
I don tire óf thIs STRIKE Oooooo
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by JewelBukky(f): 11:53am On Aug 19, 2013
Rexsul: does dat mean i wil av 2 vote 4 gej come 2015 embarassed ?
lol! I tell u if al d swit words wen i b don read up dia is effected!
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by talk2vlado: 12:39pm On Aug 19, 2013
lol! I tell u if al d swit words wen i b don read up dia is effected! .......«« Is this english language or greek?..............pls leddem not call off dis strike yet jor..let's make money small

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by diresimdi(m): 1:29pm On Aug 19, 2013
chei! GEJ is trying ooo. I wl vote him come 2015! haters hug 33kv transformer.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by dejodriod(f): 4:25pm On Aug 19, 2013
Tank God 4 dis 1, Hope arising
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by sparkleRed(f): 4:57pm On Aug 19, 2013
angryMake dem chill ooh..they cn call it off month end
#my opinion#
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by lexxez12: 7:22pm On Aug 19, 2013
talk2vlado: lol! I tell u if al d swit words wen i b don read up dia is effected! .......«« Is this english language or greek?..............pls leddem not call off dis strike yet jor..let's make money small
mucor, your mate don get their BSc. Get good job dey read business day u dey their dey read ASUU update on nairaland. Go get a life.
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by okeke2: 9:00pm On Aug 19, 2013
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by sakaguchi(m): 9:37pm On Aug 19, 2013
Make una dey there dey talk una own, the strike continues from the latest report I've got, FG is putting the cart before the horse, if GEJ likes, he should transform all Nigerian universities in the mold of Harvard, if he does not implement their so called "Earned Allowance" the problem would still persist. All the lecturers trully want is a bulging pocket so as to show off at the same par with their political croonies. The long rhetoric of infrastructure is just a charade.
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by Witwicky(m): 11:59pm On Aug 19, 2013
People behind assu

Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by GNwafor(m): 8:26pm On Aug 21, 2013
Are you tired of the incessant strike actions in the Nigerian Education sector, all hope is not lost, there is a way out.

A Hot-selling E-Book just released exposes some of the world's best online tuition free Universities with NYSC Certificate Guaranteed.

Get the e-book with just $25/N4000.

You future is in your hands
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU by RINE1: 10:03pm On Aug 21, 2013
Rexsul: does dat mean i wil av 2 vote 4 gej come 2015 embarassed ?
All left for you brother

(1) (Reply)

Apply For NIIT Nigeria Scholarship For Nigerian Students 2018 / What To Do After JAMB / How Possible Is It To Transfer From One Poly To Another

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.