Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,754 members, 7,875,887 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 12:47 AM

Killings Of Africans In South Africa (who Is To Blame ?) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Killings Of Africans In South Africa (who Is To Blame ?) (1182 Views)

Whites Opinions Of Africans / Here Is A New One: Stereotypes Of Africans The Usa / Killings Of Africans In The Towns Of Ukraine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Killings Of Africans In South Africa (who Is To Blame ?) by lovelyS(m): 6:24pm On Jun 09, 2008
The violence launched against foreigners in South Africa has led to at least one group of Somalis threatening to drown themselves if the government doesn’t resettled them from a camp set up outside Cape Town.

It was just last month that a wave of violent attacks against foreigners swept through Johannesburg and across the country that left 50 dead and more than 70,000 displaced.

After the violence several camps were set up for foreigners yet conditions were poor leading many to return to their country. A group of Somalis became distressed with the lack of help being provided and began a hunger strike and then began making threats of suicide.
At least one man was pulled from the sea after reportedly wishing to die due to the stress of the situation. Several more Somalis in the camp have made similar threats.

Despite the threats the government has said they have uncovered no attempts by foreigners to take their own life in the sea.

Violence spreads in Johannesburg 

Scenes of violence on the streets of Johannesburg
At least 12 people have been killed in the South African city of Johannesburg since Friday in a wave of violence directed at immigrants, police say.

Police have used tear gas and rubber bullets to try to stop gangs of armed youths from attacking foreigners and looting and burning their property.

Five people were killed overnight in the area of Cleveland. Two of them were burned and the others beaten to death.

More than 50 were taken to hospitals with gunshot and stab wounds.

During the day, a church where about 1,000 Zimbabweans have been taking refuge was attacked.

In pictures: Johannesburg violence

Bishop Paul Veryn of the Central Methodist Church which was attacked told SABC radio: "We consider that the situation is getting so serious that the police can no longer control it."

As night fell, immigrants were streaming into one police station near downtown Johannesburg carrying whatever belongings they could, reports Caroline Hawley.

Many now fear for their lives, she reports. One Zimbabwean woman told the BBC she would flee back home rather than risk losing her two children to the mobs.

Social problems

Foreigners have been trying to flee the violence

The trouble began a week ago in the sprawling township of Alexandra. Immigrants from neighbouring African countries were set upon by men with guns and iron bars chanting "kick the foreigners out".

Terrified Zimbabweans, Mozambicans and Malawians fled to the safety of the local police station and to another township, Diepsloot.

They were then attacked there as well - shacks were burnt down and shops looted. The violence has since spread to other areas.

Since the end of apartheid, millions of African immigrants have poured into South Africa seeking jobs and sanctuary. But they have become scapegoats for many of the country's social problems - its high rate of unemployment, a shortage of housing and one of the worst levels of crime in the world.

Police have been trying to restore order in Diepsloot township

The South African Red Cross is now providing food and blankets to hundreds of frightened immigrants forced from their homes.

President Thabo Mbeki said he would set up a panel of experts to investigate the violence.

The leader of the governing African National Congress, Jacob Zuma, condemned the attacks.

"We cannot allow South Africa to be famous for xenophobia," he told a conference in Pretoria.

When i read this i was so sad because i can't imagine an African killing his brother because of worldly resoursec that will ends one day.Plus, i don't know who to blame on this. . . . . Is it the Imigrant that leave there country to fine a greener pasture or laziness of the citizen/youth of SOUTH AFRICA. . .Can anyone put light on this pleas?

Re: Killings Of Africans In South Africa (who Is To Blame ?) by SeanT21(f): 6:58pm On Jun 09, 2008
I BLAME THE GOVERNMENT.

SOME AFRICANS LOVE VIOLENCE.

do america have to step in like they did in liberia?

why do other countries always have to save the day in africa?

Africa will always be africa.
Re: Killings Of Africans In South Africa (who Is To Blame ?) by beystwin: 7:16pm On Jun 09, 2008
SeanT21:

do america have to step in like they did in liberia?

I thought it was Nigeria that stepped in, in Liberia.
Re: Killings Of Africans In South Africa (who Is To Blame ?) by SeanT21(f): 7:36pm On Jun 09, 2008
beystwin:

I thought it was Nigeria that stepped in, in Liberia.

they did also,but when Charles Taylor refuse to leave, the american government told him that if he dont step down, america will get involve.

the old man listen.
Re: Killings Of Africans In South Africa (who Is To Blame ?) by jydeboy: 7:34pm On Jun 14, 2008
It is what Africans deserve for helping to liberate them from their Dutch overlords. Had it been they are still in captivity they would have learnt better sense from the whites. Who says we blacks are not primitive? I blame the African Union for the problem in South Africa. Among all the continents, Africa has the lowest free migration among member states. Then how do we see ourselves as one? As long as we regard ourselves as distant neighbours we will continue to repeat the madness in south Africa. I sincerely look forward to when Nigerians would start retaliating. I swear I will be the first man to join, and the last man standing.

(1) (Reply)

Why intelligent People Do Not Trust The Mainstream Media / In Scramble For Land, Group Says, Company Pushed Ugandans Out / Official: Uk Babes Are Fattest And Bakassiless In Europe!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.