Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,615 members, 7,975,383 topics. Date: Tuesday, 15 October 2024 at 01:58 AM

Blessing's Record Comes With Battle - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Blessing's Record Comes With Battle (786 Views)

BBC Disrespects Nigeria And Blessing Okagbare At Commonwealth Game / Blessing Okagbare Wins 200m Gold / Blessing Okagbare, The 5th Fastest Woman In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blessing's Record Comes With Battle by Nobody: 8:23pm On Aug 25, 2013
Much ado about broken African 100m record

Rather than bring cheers, Blessing Okagbare's breaking of the African women's 100m record recently has opened a new can of worms. Who owned the previous record? 'TANA AIYEJINA examines
In several interviews she granted prior to the London Anniversary Games last month, Atlanta 1996 Olympic Games long jump gold medalist, Chioma Ajunwa-Oparah, foresaw Blessing Okagbare breaking the African 100m record for women.
Ajunwa was looking forward to seeing the Delta-born multi-talented athlete erase her own African record of 10.84 seconds set in 1992.
True to Ajunwa's prediction, Okagbare set a new African record of 10.79secs in the 100m final of the Anniversary Games, beating reigning 100m Olympic gold medalist Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce from Jamaica in the process.
But to Ajunwa's chagrin, it was widely reported that Okagbare broke Gloria Alozie's record of 10.90 set in 1999 in Mexico, and not hers.
The issue has taken a new twist with the Athletic Federation insisting that Ajunwa's record had since been cancelled by the International Association of Athletics Federations because of a failed drugs test in 1992.
A shocked Ajunwa said, "I said Blessing was going to break the African record because the girl is very hardworking and disciplined. These are the qualities I saw in her that mademe say she is going to break the record.
"But I don't know why it's difficult for them (AFN) to identify who was the previous African record holder in the women's 100m. Idon't know if it was a mistake from them butthe media know who actually owns the record because they have been writing aboutit. It is not Gloria Alozie but Chioma Ajunwa that held the record before it was broken; it is in the IAAF handbook."
However, AFN spokesman, Kayode Thomas, made clear the reasons why the AFN credited Alozie as the previous record holder of the African women's 100m.
"Nigeria recognises Alozie's record as official and it is the one Okagbare has broken," Thomas said.
"If you recall, there was controversy over Chioma's record; she was banned for drugs use for four years. They said she must have broken the record because of drugs."
Also, foremost athletics writer, Duro Ikhazuagbe, shed more light on why Ajunwa was not officially recognised as the previous record holder.
The former AFN spokesman said, "Chioma's record no longer exists after she was bannedbecause of drugs related offences in 1992. She ran that race during the period she had the drugs issue. So, Alozie's time is the authentic record. Nobody is after her, her long jump record is still there.
"Didn't she see the records that the AFN have been using in the last 10 years that hers is not there?"
But Ajunwa, a Chief Superintendent of Police, who is the Divisional Police Officer in Meiran, Lagos, believes there is a conspiracy against her.
"They should tell me when they changed my record. How can IAAF change the record that has been there since 1992?
"The AFN should say the truth. We are all Nigerians and we know what is happening. I don't know what I have done to the AFN. I don't know what their problem is; I don't know why they forget too easily.
"I believe its natural hatred but they don't have a choice. It's everywhere in the world that I am the record holder. In 1996, 1997, 1998 it was in IAAF's handbook. Fortunately it is in the internet. If they change it there, they should be able to tell the world how theydid it."
But the air is now clear after investigations byour correspondent. IAAF acknowledged that Ajunwa's performances were withdrawn after she was implicated for drugs usage but the world athletics body brought a new twist to the story, saying it was the responsibility of the African athletics body, and not theirs, to decide who the continental record holder was.
When our correspondent contacted IAAF for their position on the issue, this was the reply from their website editorial team; "Chioma Ajunwa was sanctioned for a doping offence for four years from 11 June 1992. All performances during that period were annulled.
"The IAAF does not ratify continental records; this is the remit of the Area Associations for athletics, in this case the Confederation of African Athletics."
However, on the CAA website, the African athletics body is yet to confirm Okagbare's new record.

Re: Blessing's Record Comes With Battle by taiocol: 8:52pm On Aug 25, 2013
blessing worth more than the super chickens-orji kalu. My qst why is 9ja govt nt helping matters, wen super chickens win afcon their park money deh waste any how, even person wen dem appoint as sports minister na only Football be sport wen him sabi. Why
Re: Blessing's Record Comes With Battle by Tuntheycr7: 9:56pm On Aug 25, 2013
Can sum1 summarize diz 4mi?
Re: Blessing's Record Comes With Battle by Nobody: 4:38pm On Aug 26, 2013
Tuntheycr7: Can sum1 summarize diz 4mi?

funiii..xori no teacher
Re: Blessing's Record Comes With Battle by bambostic: 5:20pm On Aug 27, 2013
Much ado about nothing...she's broken both Glory's and Chioma's time so no argument going forward as to who owns it! I even made a video about it here...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCH2vjROrp4

(1) (Reply)

Ghana' Web Opinionated 2013 Africa Starting XI / If Messi Should Win The World Cup, Who Will Be The Ballon D'or Messi Or Ronaldo / Fifa Suspends Nigeria For Government Interference

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.