Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,359 members, 7,881,315 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 04:28 PM

ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat (18931 Views)

No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis / ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking / ASUU Strike: Lecturers Map Out Strategies To Survive Fg’s ‘no Work No Pay’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Smartwave: 11:14am On Aug 26, 2013
idamokoemmanuel: Wot is wrong wit ASUU.. They shud consider the student that are at home since because of their selfish interest......
which student? Student dat has no hope after graduation, why establish more university and poly. If there is no money? Rush to school to go and become unturned cake. See our corp member's been rejected by common private secondary schools

1 Like

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by shejane: 11:22am On Aug 26, 2013
FG released 40m each 4 rep members nd 45m each 4 senators 4 Sallah celebration, y can't der release dis moni 4 ASUU even if der wat 2 share d moni among dem
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Nobody: 11:26am On Aug 26, 2013
dedarkman: Make we see how long they will stay without payment
o guy,this union don save enough so If they like make government non pay,it would not shake them.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Aryourkunlay(m): 11:27am On Aug 26, 2013
ASUU, i support you 100%, but im also thinkin' of my hair not to turn grey..

Please, put on gloves and strike fear in the heart of FG..

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by bigbabyboy: 11:27am On Aug 26, 2013
I support ASUU...enough is enough...good one from Dr Ajiboye...my Oga at the top...a very good man and one of the best lecturers who ever taught me.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by charleymed(m): 11:29am On Aug 26, 2013
9jaboy007: i have said it b4 look at d top 100 universites in d world how many of them a govt ownd let fg set a 7 years plan on how to prvetis dis universits. Am an unda gradut of the great UNN but d trut be said if we must get dre we all most be ready to make the sacrfice
Your written English is very poor, and who told you "UNN is a great school?
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by pricelesspearl(f): 11:29am On Aug 26, 2013
Those who are clamoring for the strike to continue are not wearing the shoes of the students. Granted, the public university is a far cry from what a standard university should be but making students sit at home for too long is not the best way to fight 4 what is right. Anyway I can only pray FG co-operates.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Aryourkunlay(m): 11:34am On Aug 26, 2013
priceless pearl: Those who are shouting for the strike to continue are not wearing the shoes of the students. Granted, the public university is a far cry from what a standard university should be but making students sit at home for too long is not the best way to fight 4 what is right. Anyway I can only pray FG co-operates.

this is the right way to go..., because what's the essence of graduating from a university with no hope of job. Erstwhile, their children will come back with jobs waiting for them..
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by oribim(m): 11:34am On Aug 26, 2013
idamokoemmanuel: Wot is wrong wit ASUU.. They shud consider the student that are at home since because of their selfish interest......
selfish interest you call it.ok what about your own selfish interest to return to school at the the loss of ASUU. we r too myopic in our view of this issue.it's simply a clash of interest--u want something;they want something
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Abbycite(m): 11:35am On Aug 26, 2013
Wait o.....Are they being paid for the period of strike? That would be irresponsible from the part of the government. How can a sector go on a meaningless/meaningful strike and you continue paying them for the work they refuse to do.
It has come a stage where I will advise the striking lecturers to honourably resign if they felt their working condition is not topnotch. Give space for the young and vibrant Nigerians that want to sweat and build this country not people that keep waiting for the government to provide everything for them.

BOTTOMLINE: It is now clear that ASUU is a bunch of hypocrites....so far, the little they have provided for them, what have they done with it? Are they not the same set of people that are molesting their female students, or those it required N500 billion to stop that. Those it require N87 billion to start coming to lecture hall regularly. What are they saying?

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by ortopazz(m): 11:38am On Aug 26, 2013
To me I just think it is not just worrisome that the F.G reeuse to honour an agreement that they signed, but tragic that they see this as a game.

Some people think or feel ASUU IS in it for their gain, forgetting how despicable it is when we Wake up everymorning to hear the Rot we call News. . the Senate vying for Pension. . .Patience wants a building of 4billion, . , we cud go on and on. .bottomline our Education system is a fraud and that needs fixing. .buh hey it is nt a headliner so the President wnt be bothered!

SHELL BP. .shared how they spent millions having to retrain graduates from our Universities. .our structures are achaic, we shouldnt deny this else we wnt even solve the obvious problems. .

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by oribim(m): 11:39am On Aug 26, 2013
charleymed: Your written English is very poor, and who told you "UNN is a great school?
not so my brother charcater ,if you understand is different from communication
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by canalily(m): 11:43am On Aug 26, 2013
Well undecided ASUU, you have started the strike nd there is no going back. Buh what you pepl of ASUU should know is that in 9ija 2day, there is no GOODLUCK without PATIENCE. So let the strike continue nd stop this machine argument until FG is ready to sucumb. buh shaaa shocked o o o oh! it would be a shame if you call it off without achieving your aim.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Evalsam1(m): 11:44am On Aug 26, 2013
u mean ASUU r more interested in d earn allowances than infrastructures.ok! let's see what will happen at last.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by alexleo(m): 11:48am On Aug 26, 2013
J12: These lecturers talk like they are striking in the interest of the education system in general.
If the government gives them the 500 billion naira they are striking for, they won't do anything with it.
Dear Nigerian Lecturers and university academic staff.
What have you all done with the little funding you have been receiving from the government all the while? If we can't trust you with little, why should we trust with something big?

Its not the lecturers that are managing funds in the universities. It is the non academic staff, but the academic staff are the ones feeling the pains of the lack of infrastructure. If the non academics go on strike to fight for these funding they won't succeed because as long as lectures are going on, government couldn't be bothered. ASUU is fighting for the general good of the university because they are feeling the pain and they have the power to fight it than others.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by chemashie(m): 12:03pm On Aug 26, 2013
If ASUU should resume without getting their earned allowances of 87b, students should expect to pay more next session.
FG has directed the management of each University to source for the balance of the 30b using their IGR. How do you think they are going to do this without increment in tuition fees?
ASUU will have nothing to lose if they decide to call off the strike anytime soon, students will definitely feel the pains more. I only pity those that are still speaking ills of ASUU.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by vinkela(m): 12:11pm On Aug 26, 2013
ASUU pls dnt stp d strike till jan 2014.I need money b4 goin back to school
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by ortopazz(m): 12:11pm On Aug 26, 2013
priceless pearl: Those who are clamoring for the strike to continue are not wearing the shoes of the students. Granted, the public university is a far cry from what a standard university should be but making students sit at home for too long is not the best way to fight 4 what is right. Anyway I can only pray FG co-operates.
Granted too they accept and go back to lecturing, and The F.G doesnt keep to their words, not that it is novel in anyway as they gave always gone back on their words, we cannt deny the groans and pains of the student, buh why cant the govt put a fullstop to their mysery, once and 4 all other than post poning the solution, which will nevertheless catch up wiv the next batcg of students
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by ITbomb(m): 12:12pm On Aug 26, 2013
riskit33:
Call no student a mediocre! Those are helpless students that are totally frustrated by the disfunctional system. Only he who wears the shoe knows where it pinches. Please show some sympathy.
Are we not saying the same thing?
We are fed up with the disfunctional system and ASUU wants to make it right once and for all. Instead of the students to rally behind ASUU and put pressure on the government to provide critical infrastructures in the University, they want ASUU to call up the strike so that they can return to that disfunctional system.
I am also a product of that disfunctional system and I am not proud of the fact that after graduating from a Federal University, I could not identify an essential equipment used in my field whereas I could fully describe the operations of that machine theorotically. I had to be given extra training by the company on the practical working of the equipment.
Students in other lands start solving propblems in school. Ours is to mark time, get the papers and start looking for jobs.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by DonaldGenes(m): 12:12pm On Aug 26, 2013
make i sleep jawe after half a day tiring hustling

yawnssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by lawizle(m): 12:13pm On Aug 26, 2013
awodman:
Abeg stop all this evoking of sentiments you guys use..the truth is that if FG releases the N87 billion for earned allowances this strike will stop instantly..

Whatever..
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by ITbomb(m): 12:16pm On Aug 26, 2013
9jaboy007: i have said it b4 look at d top 100 universites in d world how many of them a govt ownd let fg set a 7 years plan on how to prvetis dis universits. Am an unda gradut of the great UNN but d trut be said if we must get dre we all most be ready to make the sacrfice
When I see graduates writing like this, I am more convinced that ASUU strike should continue till FG fix the schools
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by RuuDie(m): 12:16pm On Aug 26, 2013
Martx: The lecturers should go back to school and stop been adamant about this, all thier children are schooling outside the country.

And where are all children of Senators, Gov'nors, Reps etc schooling!?

Guy...go update your brain!
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by creativemusic: 12:21pm On Aug 26, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ;go on so uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by PStacks(m): 12:24pm On Aug 26, 2013
Recless Government! If the Govt doesn't want to be responsible and wake up to her responsibilities then there is no use for government.

ASUU don hold govt for Bolocous nao..

Health Workers sef go soon Demand their own.

Labour!

Pengassen too go soon talk their own.

TUC!

Oya, one by one..

Me sef I need #3Billion from govt.

Any govt that refuses to be responsible must be held accountable.

No money for Road,
No money For Electricity,
No money for Education..

Where is Nigerian Foreign Exchange earnings going too? Or do they think Crude would guuuush for life?

SMH!
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Simulacrum(m): 12:25pm On Aug 26, 2013
ASUU dare devils
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 26, 2013
abeg... make them even cancel school finally, make person go find work
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by McLuhan(m): 12:44pm On Aug 26, 2013
I can't understand the way some people are reacting to this strike issue. I think the questions we should be asking ourselves are: Did the FG enter into an agreement with the lecturers in 2009? Did the same FG sign an MOU with the lecturers in 2012? If the answers to these questions are affirmative, is the FG therefore not in breach of the said agreement? Instead of calling on the lecturers to end their strike, souldn't we therefore be calling on the FG to honour its part of the bargain?

Apart from the legalistic arguments that are clearly in favour of ASUU, the point can also be made that our universities are in dire need of urgent intervention and that no responsible government would wait for a strike before doing something to salvage them. This argument is even more cogent when one considers how much this same government is spending frivolously, unconscionably, on presidential jets, legislators' allowances, foreign junkets, etc. Are we really satisfied that the FG could contemplate building a multi-billion naira first ladies' secretariat when no Nigerian university is ranked among the first 1000 in the world? Or do we really believe, as some have argued, that if the lecturers need good wages they should resign and contest for political offices?

As for those who have asked the FG to sack all the lecturers and recruit new ones (somebody even suggested bringing in Ghanaians), I would pose the following questions: How many foreigners can you find among the ranks of our university lecturers today? Why do you think they find teaching here so unattractive? Why do you think so many of our young people - about 75,000 as at the last count - are flocking to Ghana for tertiary education?

Let's not delude ourselves: Our tertiary education system is in tatters and if the FG had signed an agreement to tackle the myriad challenges that beset this all-important sector, we should insist that it honours that agreement. In fact, I believe that honouring the said agreement will only be a first step towards reversing the decay in our public universities. Much more will have to be done in due course if our universities are to be really universities.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Demdem(m): 12:49pm On Aug 26, 2013
riskit33:
Hmmm, from the level of your activity on this thread and your responses, i'm tempted to ask you a question - Are you a member of ASUU or maybe a dependent relative of a member?

None of the above. Just passionate about our educational sector.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by seunajia: 12:51pm On Aug 26, 2013
Abbycite: Wait o.....Are they being paid for the period of strike? That would be irresponsible from the part of the government. How can a sector go on a meaningless/meaningful strike and you continue paying them for the work they refuse to do.
It has come a stage where I will advise the striking lecturers to honourably resign if they felt their working condition is not topnotch. Give space for the young and vibrant Nigerians that want to sweat and build this country not people that keep waiting for the government to provide everything for them.

BOTTOMLINE: It is now clear that ASUU is a bunch of hypocrites....so far, the little they have provided for them, what have they done with it? Are they not the same set of people that are molesting their female students, or those it required N500 billion to stop that. Those it require N87 billion to start coming to lecture hall regularly. What are they saying?

When kids talk...I have never read someone write so much and make zero sense.

Hey kiddo, check the crap you wrote up here, it is enough justification for the strike, no? What a cretin.
Re: ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat by Isusman: 12:52pm On Aug 26, 2013
i wish ASUU will know what am passing through as a result of the strike.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng / Nigerian Receives 12 Out Of 15 Awards At Her Graduation In South Africa / Woman Recounts How She Almost Lost Her Two Kids From School's Negligence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.