Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,324 members, 7,888,027 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 05:47 PM

FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans (40126 Views)

How To Obtain Student Loans In Nigeria Through Skye Bank / Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by Lamasta(m): 4:27pm On Aug 27, 2013
My concern is must state universities be part of this strike can't they leave the scene for the federal universities and FG aba........

1 Like

Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by Funjosh(m): 4:29pm On Aug 27, 2013
Confused GOVERNMENT.
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by holuwarlay08(m): 4:29pm On Aug 27, 2013
stupid idea from the so called them self government representative and ogbeni goodluck jonathan...foolish people with foolish idea...
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by khanivorous(f): 4:32pm On Aug 27, 2013
deor03: what i want the Federal government to do in logical order is this

1. Task NUC to carry out detailed study of the present universities, with a view to determining their worth in Naira and Kobo

2. Privatize all the universities and mandate all the private buyers to have affilition , including staff & student rotation , with Top 50 universities in the world.The buyers should immediatetly upgrade the universities to world standard in terms of facilities,labs , building etc

3. Grant student loans to all the students, upon admission into the institutions, and continues to maintain this award based on student's satisfactory performance ( measured based on Attendance, behaviuor and grade)

4. Consession reputble property companies to build world class accomodation with 24/7 power supply / high speed internet ( blocking all video sharing, Ph0nography , etc). Accomodation will be included in the loan

With government awarding 1Million Naira per student for each academic year, these can be taken care off. For 4 year courses, it will cost the government 4M , for Engineering 5M and Medicine 7M

Once students proceed on NYSC, the capital to be repaid should drop by N500,000.

Student should pay back the loan to the government over 20 years at an interest rate of 3% Max

Hahhahahhaha

This your remedies will destroy education and freedom

First, the poor and common man won't afford university education once its privatized and then you will still owe the govt all your life( 20 years .
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by Boss13: 4:42pm On Aug 27, 2013
I think it's really unfair is insult the government. The govt is willingly to discuss but ASUU do not want to bulge. I feel ASUU is selfish. Why because the 2009 agreement has not stopped them from producing graduates (which is their main objective).

They should consider the student at home and compromise a little so that the govt can grant their needs.
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by omenka(m): 4:43pm On Aug 27, 2013
They tried to bribe the Union leaders, they wldnt take the bait. Now they turn to the students, offering them thesame monies to turn them against the lecturers. Again, this isn't gonna work!

This government is so damn irritating!!!
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by McLuhan(m): 4:52pm On Aug 27, 2013
If the opposition has infiltrated the union in order to discredit government, then government should pull the rug from under their feet by implementing the said agreement. By so doing, there will be no more grounds for the purported alliance between ASUU and the opposition. But if the FG is unwilling to do the needful, then it should not try to hoodwink the public with red herrings and conspiracy theories. The fact is that the FG is solely responsible for this crisis. It precipitated the strike by reneging on an agreement it voluntarily signed in 2009.

2 Likes

Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by kunlite(m): 4:55pm On Aug 27, 2013
dis are useles sets of robbers,it dosnt tk 9days 2 dcide on ao 2 spend mawni yl in d aouse.2 implement agrement,na wahala.wich country sef b dis wey i dey
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by deor03(m): 4:59pm On Aug 27, 2013
khanivorous:

Hahhahahhaha

This your remedies will destroy education and freedom

First, the poor and common man won't afford university education once its privatized and then you will still owe the govt all your life( 20 years .

No it won't , On the contrary it will give everyone a level playing ground. Girls won't need to do Aristo before feeding themselves.

Children of the poor can get best quality education.
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by musb92yahooco: 5:00pm On Aug 27, 2013
All na wash dj cilifa over 2 u

Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by deor03(m): 5:01pm On Aug 27, 2013
Boss13:

For how long will this plan continue? Do you want the country to be so broke? How would corporate Nigeria absorb the graduates.

It will continue forever, People will always graduate every year, people will get job every year.

This also put a mandate on the government to create more jobs, so that they can recover their money
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by seunajia: 5:01pm On Aug 27, 2013
This Goodluck Jonathan government can dish bullock for Africa. Student loans? How are we supposed to pay back? when there are no jobs? when the standard of education in Nigeria is next to zilch in the first place?

It is the same old trick they deployed during the occupy Nigeria protest --blackmail.

I think it is high time Nigerian students and their parents came out to protest this nonsense on the part of the government. It is simple-- ASUU is not asking you to hand the money to it-- equip the labs, fund research, build more lecture halls, hostels etc. Raise the standard of education!
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by obas01(m): 5:05pm On Aug 27, 2013
If the president is still a lecture he would av been among them fighting for this same tin.. But now act as if his not once a lecture.
GEJ remember u ar once a student and lecturer, where ever u are today its for apurpose mayb to figth for ur collegue and the future leaders,..
Lemme stop here for now.
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by Waspy(m): 5:06pm On Aug 27, 2013
Dafuq??....this is the zenith of Cluelessness and irresponsibility on the side of the FG.. My father schled in UniIfe with free tuition and still collected Fed Bursary on top, more or less He was been paid for schooling free.. The more this country earns from Oil, the worse for its people. Retardeen needs Out!!
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by Nobody: 5:09pm On Aug 27, 2013
What a weak ppl at the helm of affairs. You allowed a card carrying member of the CPC to win an election as ASUU president and you now turn around to tell us that "the opposition has infiltrated ASUU"
Isn't it time this president woke up to the fact that everything in Nigeria is politics, coloured by sentiment.
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by whatofyou: 5:14pm On Aug 27, 2013
When manna falls from heaven into our camp, the tendency is for everyone to pack to his fill. Trouble comes quickly if only few are allowed to pack as much as they like from the abundance. FG cannot win this war by preaching something else and doing another. They cannot win this stalemate by telling ASUU to stop being greedy, yet they (FG) go about living big, teaching us how criminal it is to be poor in this age- we are all humans. ASUU has the ball in their court, and they do with it what they please.
ASUU, we the citizens will be wrong telling you that 'half a bread is better than none.' The road to the glory of our nation is rough-terrained. The foolish one sees nothing; the wise sees long-term.
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by zebra(m): 5:14pm On Aug 27, 2013
3ace: Foolish people. You are always saying that the lecturers are only concerned about their own interest at the expense of the students. The question is why have you too not honoured the agreement you entered into in 2009? Did you sign the agreement under duress? If na wetin go benefits all dis useless politicians, dem go find a way to approve am. Nonsense!
Did Jonathan sign that agreement?
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by alexleo(m): 5:16pm On Aug 27, 2013
pillzthadrugz: Nigerian govt will always find a way out.........
This is another approach.......since plan 'A' did not work maybe plan 'B' might see the light of the day.
But come to think of it, the students are not complaining of any hardship, infact we have all gotten used to it.....
You guys should finish with our oga @ da top (ASUU) first before introducing another propaganda into the nigerian institution.
WE DON TURN TEDDY BEAR NA.....

Nigerian government cannot be trusted. They want to introduce student loan which will now give room for universities to introduce high school fees just like the private universities. This high tuition fee is an offer from the FG that ASUU has been resisting over the years and now they want to subtly push for its introduction by introducing this student loan. After a few years, government would kick the loan out. Meanwhile the high tuition fees cannot be reduced by then. University education then becomes only for the children of the rich.

1 Like

Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by Dee60: 5:24pm On Aug 27, 2013
Student loans? to how many? FG has failed to keep a past promise. NOI says FG does not have money? Now they want to give loans?

Is there some clue left in Abuja?
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by GlorifiedTunde(m): 5:26pm On Aug 27, 2013
atlwireles:

The end product of these intelligent folks are 85% unemployable graduates.

And your lecturers will be the one to provide u with jobs? Does your government even give opportunities for the best students to apply their intelligence?

Dunno about you but I learnt a lot in school, there's just no job out there. Even the economy doesn't support/encourage entrepreneurship.

Kindly sit down and do analytic thinking before spewing sh*t!

I'm sure u are one of them (FG)
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by zebra(m): 5:26pm On Aug 27, 2013
whatofyou: When manna falls from heaven into our camp, the tendency is for everyone to pack to his fill. Trouble comes quickly if only few are allowed to pack as much as they like from the abundance. FG cannot win this war by preaching something else and doing another. They cannot win this stalemate by telling ASUU to stop being greedy, yet they (FG) go about living big, teaching us how criminal it is to be poor in this age- we are all humans. ASUU has the ball in their court, and they do with it what they please.
ASUU, we the citizens will be wrong telling you that 'half a bread is better than none.' The road to the glory of our nation is rough-terrained. The foolish one sees nothing; the wise sees long-term.
If politics is easy let them leave their lecturing jobs and go join Ngige & co. After all Prof. Jerry Gana left his in Geography Dept, ABU Zaria to join OBJ in 1999. Did u hear him complaining about govt not funding universities? Dr. Fagge pls call off this strike now; respect urselves. Is it because ur children are schooling in private universities and universities abroad? Pls pity the children of the masses.
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by zebra(m): 5:27pm On Aug 27, 2013
whatofyou: When manna falls from heaven into our camp, the tendency is for everyone to pack to his fill. Trouble comes quickly if only few are allowed to pack as much as they like from the abundance. FG cannot win this war by preaching something else and doing another. They cannot win this stalemate by telling ASUU to stop being greedy, yet they (FG) go about living big, teaching us how criminal it is to be poor in this age- we are all humans. ASUU has the ball in their court, and they do with it what they please.
If politics is easy let them leave their lecturing jobs and go join Ngige & co. After all Prof. Jerry Gana left his own in Geography Dept, ABU Zaria to join OBJ in 1999. Did u hear him complaining about govt not funding universities? Dr. Fagge pls call off this strike now; respect urselves. Is it because ur children are schooling in private universities and universities abroad? Pls pity the children of the masses.
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by krugar07(m): 5:29pm On Aug 27, 2013
student loan no consign me. my own be say may fg n ASUU do fast cuz ma house rent go soon xpire a no want make in waste oo. becoz a go collect refund. lan lord hear am oooo

1 Like

Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by Nobody: 5:32pm On Aug 27, 2013
hahahahahahahhahahhahahhahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahhahahahahahahahahhahahh

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Omo eh, di one, na him be say man go grow white hairs for blokos b4 him grat. Congrats to FG! Instead of accepting thier failure, they now sentimentally go into politics with opposition my azz. Is it today ASUU starts embarking on strike? Why were the previous ones not politically and oppositionally related? When they signed the agreement in 2009, didnt they know opposition was in existence? GEJ and other stakeholders in oil sector stole crude oil worth N356billion in July alone. If such money is stolen in oil sector alone in a month, what is N600billion that ASUU is askng for that FG of Nigeria cannot release to them? Even if the money isn't on ground, since we run a government of borrow borrow frm foreign countries, why cant he borrow same to relief this educational shame beclouding his tenure? STUDENT LOANS MY AZZ. God will punish all of YOU - AMEN!
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by atlwireles: 5:38pm On Aug 27, 2013
Glorified_Tunde:

And your lecturers will be the one to provide u with jobs? Does your government even give opportunities for the best students to apply their intelligence?

Dunno about you but I learnt a lot in school, there's just no job out there. Even the economy doesn't support/encourage entrepreneurship.

Kindly sit down and do analytic thinking before spewing sh*t!

I'm sure u are one of them (FG)

Yes, I deal with them daily, parading all kinds of degrees, yet spelling their names backward is mission impossible. There are jobs, just not for your ASUU end products. Just look at the overwhelming in flocks of expatriate workers in all sectors. Ask yourself why. Keep waiting for government to spoon feed you.
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 27, 2013
Student loan?? Dis is nt d way forward
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 27, 2013
momodub: if you ask me

Na who i go ask?

CAN I POO ON THIS THREAD?
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by EbirichBen(m): 5:42pm On Aug 27, 2013
Please, Does FG also Fund State Universities................... Just Asking ooooooooooooo
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by divinegiftmodel: 5:43pm On Aug 27, 2013
Emmy9ite: Season 3, episode 4. Watch ASUU strikers in cinemas near you.

On a serious note; Students loan won't compel ASUU to cease the strike. FG should pay what they owe ASUU. I can't work for you and you ask me to renegotiate my pay after my work . it doesn't happen anywhere in the world.
get ur facts right before commenting
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by McLuhan(m): 5:44pm On Aug 27, 2013
watered: Whatever they choose to do is left to them. As for me d FG has done its best and d stubborn ASUU shouldn't expect a miraculous transformation of the education sypstem.
Reading comments like yours is so exasperating that I consider it pointless to write a rejoinder. However, since I suspect that yours might be either a case of congenital obtuseness or a constricted worldview occasioned by poor education, I should like to inform you that the current FG, which you adulate as having "done its best", is in fact one of the most inept administrations, even by Nigeria's abysmal standards. If in doubt, check the latest development reports released by the African Development Bank (AfDB). If you conduct some more research (which I doubt you can), you will realise that a "small" country like Ghana spends more than 30% of its budget on education, whereas the so-called giant of Africa spends less than 8%, in actual terms, on the same sector. Finally, if signing an agreement and then reneging on it is your idea of doing one's best, then I think it will take an unprecedented miracle for you to improve beyond the lowlife that you currently are.
Re: FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans by lexrichy(m): 5:46pm On Aug 27, 2013
chindi: smiley No matter what ASUU or FG does, I MUST GRADUATE THIS YEAR IN JESUS MIGHTY NAME, AMEN!
I don talk my own, what abt u??
na u wan graduate your self?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fraud In Private Nursery/Pri Schl:Must A Child Buy A Book His Elder Ones Have? / People With Incredible Bodies Featured In The Guinness World Records / Only First Class & 2:1 Graduates Will Be Employed As Teachers - FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.