Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,457 members, 7,897,944 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 11:35 PM

Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely (430 Views)

Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / 5 Easy Steps To Debunking The Quran (for Christians, Atheists, Agnostics) (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by Nobody: 6:36pm On Aug 27, 2013
This is a question that bothers me really....I'm an engineering student in my late teens from a very religious background, for a while I've had subsiting doubts about the existence of god and the rationality(or otherwise) of religion so to some extent I had been basically agnostic....I wasn't open about it although I don't equally pretend to be religious...
Lately though I've been reading the works of the prominent atheists like Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Daniel Dennett,Stephen Fry etc..also been undertaking individual research, watching youtube videos of bill maher and george carlin, learning about evolutionary biology and natural selection and I guess it didn't take much for me to realize the obvious 'that God is non-existent and religion is irrational'.
Forthwith, I decided not too toe the path of intellectual cowardice and be open about my convictions......I guess that was a huge mistake,
Aside posting random atheist memes and quotes on my facebook wall, twitter page and bbm wall..also I started to openly dissent against participating in religious activities at home.....well to cut my long story short..I can tell you its been hell....I've been at the receiving end of unending backlash both from family and friends....its not been funny at all...I guess I didn't anticipate such response and it has only resulted in my feeling so depressed and lonely, almost suicidal... Ostracised by friends, condemned by family and church...I'm almost lost....
I don't even know why I am writing this....I don't requite anyone's pity or condemnation...I just want to be heard....I just wonder why treat people with dissenting views especially atheists so terribly,I'm not asking for anyone to like me, I'm just asking for my convictions to be respected,its not like I'm blowing myself up for some god
I'm no monster...I'm just a rational person who sees the obvious.....You believe in a god, I don't..So What
Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 27, 2013

(1)

Definitions Of Religion / Today Sermon In Your Church And The Lessons You Learnt From It / Saved Unto Good Works - Winning Each Day Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.