Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,958 members, 7,890,157 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 10:11 AM

Saintfiet:Keshi Had No Right To Abuse Me - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Saintfiet:Keshi Had No Right To Abuse Me (478 Views)

Malawi National Football Team Coach "Saintfiet" Quits After Loss To Nigeria. / Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' / Tom Saintfiet, A Belgian Is Super Eagles Tech Director For $20k Monthly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Saintfiet:Keshi Had No Right To Abuse Me by Krasid(m): 12:27pm On Aug 28, 2013
Malawi coach Tom Saintfiet says he was shocked by Stephen Keshi's vitrolic reaction to Malawi's request to have next month's World cup qualifier moved from Calabar, and that the Nigerian Coach had no right to use the words he did.

Keshi, in an interview with VoxAfrica Tv, referred to Saintfiet as a white dude who should go back to Belgium for suggesting the game should be moved to Calabar for security reasons.

The Malawi coach said he was disappointed by Keshi's choice of words.

"First of all I am naturally very disappointed and a little bit shocked at the words used by Mr Keshi," Saintfiet said on the same VoxAfrica show.

"I love Nigeria, I was there last year.I've visited many times and it is a beautiful country, and a fantastic football place.

"But now I work in Malawi and when we travel, we always check the places where we travel to.The hotels, the security and and so on, and we checked the website of the British Foreign Office and that's how I said it was very insecure and it is a no travel area.

"It was for that reason that my federation consulted FIFA and requested that maybe they can move the match for security of the malawian players and delegation and not specificlly me as a coach.

"But in all cases, it dosen't give the right to any coach to react in that manner and use the word that Mr Keshi did.

"We have to respect each other as football coaches.He is a very good coach but his words are very unacceptable."

Defending himself, Saintfiet said he did not personally ask for the venue to be moved, but was only passing on a decision of the Football Association of Malawi.

"Let me clarify a few points.it was never me as a person who wrote to FIFA to request the change of venue, it was my football association.I only communicated that to the media.

Malawi's request and Keshi's subsequent outburst have made headlines around the continent, with Nigerians miffed that Calabar, been as one of the safest part of the Country, was being painted with a violent brush.

Saintfiet says the blame should go to British Foreign office web portal and not the Malawi Federation.

"I think it's the British Foreign Affairs and Commonwealth Office that has wrong information.People have to complain to that office and not to us.We consult official organisations.If these organistions give wrong information, then you can't blame us, you have to blame them.

"Secondly, it's not because something hasn't happened somewhere, then it can't happen anytime"

"I worked in Yemen for more than six months without any problem, it also stipulates that it is a no travel area and not allowed to play any home matches.But in 2010 they hosted the Gulf cup very successfully without any problem"
http://www.kickoffnigeria.com/news/36778/malawi-coach-tom-saintfiet-shocked-by-stephen-keshis-vitrolic-reaction
Re: Saintfiet:Keshi Had No Right To Abuse Me by idedan(m): 12:49pm On Aug 28, 2013
Ok. We don hear. Sorry for the comment. Still we go flog una for calabar. But make una dey careful for calabar ˚˚°ºoo cos I hear say dem dey chop person dia.
Re: Saintfiet:Keshi Had No Right To Abuse Me by omar22(m): 2:32pm On Aug 28, 2013
He did use the same tone during the 2010 WC in an interview with the BBC when he was criticising African countries bringing in White men to manage our country

(1) (Reply)

Neymar Satisfied With Brazil Performance Against Portugal / Will Kaka Make It At Milan? / Barcelona Lose Possessionbattle For First Time In 317games

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.