Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,875 members, 7,942,193 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 11:44 PM

The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 (1502 Views)

Branding And Sponsorship Opportunities With Spoken Word Poetry In 2013 / Spoken Word Poetry- The Next Big Thing: ! / Spoken Word Poetry: - The Future Of Poetry In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by olulu(m): 10:03am On Aug 29, 2013
i2X Media Company Limited,
organizers of WORD UP

Presents

"The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry in Nigeria."

Topics to be discussed

1. The art of Spoken Word Poetry (from Page to Stage).
2. Events Management/Poetry Events organisation
3. Branding yourself
4. Branding your event

Speakers/ Facilitators:

Shina Atilola
(Group Head, Strategy and Communications, Sterling Bank)

Kelvin Orifa
(Manager, Youth Market at MTN Nigeria)

Chiedu Ifeozo
Published Writer and Spoken Word Poet)

Donna K
Top Female Spoken Word Poet in Nigeria)

Olajumoke Alawode- James
(co-organizer, FREEDOMHALL, a weekly open mic Poetry and Music event)

Date is September 14, 2013.

Venue is Bogobiri House, No. 9 Maitama Sule Street,
off Awolowo Road, Ikoyi, Lagos

Time is from 2pm.

Attendance is FREE!!!!

1 Like

Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by firestar(f): 10:38am On Aug 30, 2013
cool
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by Mynd44: 10:44am On Aug 30, 2013
**frown**
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by olulu(m): 7:22pm On Aug 30, 2013
huh
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by Mynd44: 7:24pm On Aug 30, 2013
olulu:
huh

Any provisions for lunch? I don't fancy buy food in Ikoyi, it will be too expensive tongue
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by olulu(m): 11:28pm On Aug 31, 2013
Mynd_44:
Any provisions for lunch? I don't fancy buy food in Ikoyi, it will be too expensive tongue

Worry not, lunch is at a discounted price, but u still gotta buy it grin
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by Mynd44: 11:33pm On Aug 31, 2013
olulu:

Worry not, lunch is at a discounted price, but u still gotta buy it grin
I will come if you can convince the other poster here tocheesy
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by princesa(f): 12:01am On Sep 01, 2013
hello olulu!cheesy

Hmm seems you've brought ur invitation here, nice and good...

But, can i burst a little bubble?

NL peeps dnt really fancy poetry, poems, etc... Just give them a sizzling hot fictional prose story anyday and they would be all over you!wink

But come to think of it, most nigerians dnt fancy poetry that much, sad hunh?sad

anyways, is Donna K really the top female spoken word poet in Nigeria? Awesome cheesy
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by lyricalpontiff(m): 8:22pm On Sep 01, 2013
How can I make enquires? Any number?
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by olulu(m): 10:11am On Sep 03, 2013
Mynd_44:
I will come if you can convince the other poster here tocheesy

princesa: hello olulu!cheesy

Hmm seems you've brought ur invitation here, nice and good...

But, can i burst a little bubble?

NL peeps dnt really fancy poetry, poems, etc... Just give them a sizzling hot fictional prose story anyday and they would be all over you!wink

But come to think of it, most nigerians dnt fancy poetry that much, sad hunh?sad

anyways, is Donna K really the top female spoken word poet in Nigeria? Awesome cheesy

@MYND

lol, many are called, few are chosen. Those that will come will come, no need to write long grammar.

@Princesa

Hi dearie,
I know peeps here like to read stories and the likes, but i also know one or two peeps will be interested.
Nigerians do fancy poetry, u just have to locate those that do, and this is part of it, using nairaland to get the word out to them.
If u doubt whether Donna K is a top female spoken word poet, then come see for yourself to remove all doubts.

lyricalpontiff: How can I make enquires? Any number?

@lyricalpontiff

call me, 08025070892
or mail olulu4ever@gmail.com
or tweet @wordup411 and @olulu4ever

Always at your service.
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by Mynd44: 10:13am On Sep 03, 2013
Okay I am sold. If I can get T.fare from my mommy, I will come.tongue
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by olulu(m): 10:17am On Sep 03, 2013
Mynd_44: Okay I am sold. If I can get T.fare from my mommy, I will come.tongue

grin grin grin grin and I will give u T fare for the return trip.
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by Mynd44: 10:18am On Sep 03, 2013
olulu:

grin grin grin grin and I will give u T fare for the return trip.
Seriously?shockedshockedshocked

**saves his number**
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by princesa(f): 10:21am On Sep 03, 2013
olulu:
@Princesa

Hi dearie,
I know peeps here like to read stories and the likes, but i also know one or two peeps will be interested. Nigerians do fancy poetry, u just have to locate those that do, and this is part of it, using nairaland to get the word out to them. If u doubt whether Donna K is a top female spoken word poet, then come see for yourself to remove all doubts.
yeah you're right, some of us still fancy poetry real deep..

Really wish i can hear Donna K speak or even know what this spoken word thingy is really all about, but now am so not in lag sad

anyways, wish you success scouting for peeps here, you've got two already, a grumpy and an interested one cool

before i sign out, i can't resist calling you...

Olulu the king not from Zulu grin
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by olulu(m): 11:55am On Sep 03, 2013
Mynd_44:
Seriously?shockedshockedshocked

**saves his number**

cheesy
lwkmd, awof dey run belly o.

princesa:
yeah you're right, some of us still fancy poetry real deep..

Really wish i can hear Donna K speak or even know what this spoken word thingy is really all about, but now am so not in lag sad

anyways, wish you success scouting for peeps here, you've got two already, a grumpy and an interested one cool

before i sign out, i can't resist calling you...

Olulu the king not from Zulu grin

*bows humbly*

check out our youtube vide channel to see what Spoken Word Poetry is all about
http://www.youtube.com/user/olulu4eva

Then also check out these links, then you will know why I love this art form

Donna K at WORD UP Volume 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq7FPpcbbSc

Atilola at WORD UP Volume 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkJ2KLXozj8

Increase (13 year old poet)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42VS2FZyeCQ

Plumbline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoj1wN6tHLw

Ndukwe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IYjqvJ8AQk
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by firestar(f): 12:01pm On Sep 03, 2013
Mynd_44: Okay I am sold. If I can get T.fare from my mommy, I will come.tongue
undecided
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by Mynd44: 12:10pm On Sep 03, 2013
firestar:
undecided
Hi babegrin
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by olulu(m): 12:09pm On Sep 04, 2013
firestar:
undecided

Hey lady

1 Like

Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by pryd(m): 5:21pm On Sep 08, 2013
I know bogobiri, super cool place.
I would really love to attend this event.
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by olulu(m): 11:50pm On Sep 09, 2013
pryd: I know bogobiri, super cool place.
I would really love to attend this event.

then u should.

Attendance is free
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by Mynd44: 12:48am On Sep 14, 2013
This is a reminder to everyone. This event is today.

I hope the T.fare and subsidised lunch still standsgringrin

I will be wearing the shirt that says "Nairaland"(believe that and you'd fall for anything)
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by Mynd44: 1:30pm On Sep 14, 2013
Reminder again!!!!!!
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by Mynd44: 2:21pm On Sep 14, 2013
They have not started yet sadsad
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by Mynd44: 2:58pm On Sep 14, 2013
Remind me never to go anywhere in Nigeria early anymore
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by Mynd44: 3:18pm On Sep 14, 2013
Donna the poet,

interesting,

1 Like

Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by olulu(m): 9:35pm On Sep 14, 2013
Mynd_44: They have not started yet sadsad

Mynd_44: Remind me never to go anywhere in Nigeria early anymore

lwkmd, we will work on it next time,

Mynd_44: Donna the poet,

interesting,

what did u expect b4 grin grin grin grin

Oya, lets have your feedback here
what was your take on the event #BusinessOfSpokenWordPoetryInNigeria ? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by Mynd44: 10:02pm On Sep 14, 2013
You want use me do free advert right? Okay na.

First of all, I don't know why you guys chose to start 2pm, maybe it is about venue or logistics but that's an initial turn off. We all know how these things can be and when you are having fun, time goes fast and before you know, it is 6pm, then 7pm and it is dark(remember this is Lagos and a lot of your audience might not own cars).

I mentioned earlier and Jumoke said it too. Timing is important. I came from a far place but I made sure I got there just some minutes before 2 for a reason: I wanted to see how serious it is cos your being prompt might dictate how people (like me) take you.

The logistics were not in place even when the event started as the lightning was an issue (I multitask a lot and so soak in details which is why I wander a lot) even until the end of the event making the stage somehow dull.......

And you should have put a little banner outside. I was not familiar with the place and did not fancy asking strangers for direction. I almost passed the venues without even guessing that it was the place. I had to study the house number and I saw the place looked like an artist coven so i guessed it was it.

Outside those, which I believe could be easily fixed before the next event, it was wow!!!!. I had tons of fun and I enjoyed myself. I particularly enjoyed Donna's talk starting from "page to stage" and the different stages and phases involved. How to get in character and also how your tone and body language dictates the tune of your performance(recital).

She really spoke on a lot of valuable issue that made loads of sense and it was cool.

Jumoke was.......great. I loved that she spoke from a managerial point of view and I believe events managers have a lot to learn from what she spoke about. It was really cool sitting there to talk about how to plan them and arrange the artistes and make sure you don't have a supporting cast "steal" the show as that is important.

The guy who spoke on brand nailed it. Totally, he was concise and precise.

The last dude in the jersey was just fun to listen to. He was inspirational and would lift the spirits of a lot of peep there.

I also love the venue. The atmosphere their is like I said earlier an artist's coven. The chairs were made of semi-carved wood, everything looked so natural and apart from the smell of stale cigarette (ewwww), it was great.

All in all, I had fun but cos of the time(I stay far away), I could not stay back to meet people and a lot of peep might have that issue too but it was cool. I will defo come again to enjoy more talks.

And oh, the dude that spoke last......that guy is OMG......he reminded me of Sage

1 Like

Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by olulu(m): 9:16am On Sep 16, 2013
Mynd_44: You want use me do free advert right? Okay na.

First of all, I don't know why you guys chose to start 2pm, maybe it is about venue or logistics but that's an initial turn off. We all know how these things can be and when you are having fun, time goes fast and before you know, it is 6pm, then 7pm and it is dark(remember this is Lagos and a lot of your audience might not own cars).

I mentioned earlier and Jumoke said it too. Timing is important. I came from a far place but I made sure I got there just some minutes before 2 for a reason: I wanted to see how serious it is cos your being prompt might dictate how people (like me) take you.

The logistics were not in place even when the event started as the lightning was an issue (I multitask a lot and so soak in details which is why I wander a lot) even until the end of the event making the stage somehow dull.......

And you should have put a little banner outside. I was not familiar with the place and did not fancy asking strangers for direction. I almost passed the venues without even guessing that it was the place. I had to study the house number and I saw the place looked like an artist coven so i guessed it was it.

Outside those, which I believe could be easily fixed before the next event, it was wow!!!!. I had tons of fun and I enjoyed myself. I particularly enjoyed Donna's talk starting from "page to stage" and the different stages and phases involved. How to get in character and also how your tone and body language dictates the tune of your performance(recital).

She really spoke on a lot of valuable issue that made loads of sense and it was cool.

Jumoke was.......great. I loved that she spoke from a managerial point of view and I believe events managers have a lot to learn from what she spoke about. It was really cool sitting there to talk about how to plan them and arrange the artistes and make sure you don't have a supporting cast "steal" the show as that is important.

The guy who spoke on brand nailed it. Totally, he was concise and precise.

The last dude in the jersey was just fun to listen to. He was inspirational and would lift the spirits of a lot of peep there.

I also love the venue. The atmosphere their is like I said earlier an artist's coven. The chairs were made of semi-carved wood, everything looked so natural and apart from the smell of stale cigarette (ewwww), it was great.

All in all, I had fun but cos of the time(I stay far away), I could not stay back to meet people and a lot of peep might have that issue too but it was cool. I will defo come again to enjoy more talks.

And oh, the dude that spoke last......that guy is OMG......he reminded me of Sage

Thanks for the feedback, we will work on the areas we did not perform well enough and improve on the other areas too.
The last guy that performed is called Plumbline, this is one of his performance at WORD UP Volume 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoj1wN6tHLw

And if you are interested in becoming a Spoken Word Poet, then check out this link

http://wordup411..com/2013/09/war-of-words-season-2-begins.html

War Of Words 2 begins..................!!!!!
Re: The Business Of Spoken Word Poetry In Nigeria Holds September 14, 2013 by olulu(m): 9:13am On Sep 20, 2013
The pictures of the seminar on The Business of Spoken Word Poetry in Nigeria.

http://wordup411..com/2013/09/pictures-of-seminar-on-business-of.html#!

(1) (Reply)

Why Baba Polina No Dey Do Hunter Again / The Kings of Kentworth (Book Three) / Flower Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.