Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,223 members, 7,910,315 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 03:36 AM

100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years (39104 Views)

Forex Speculators From Benin Republic, Ghana, Others Invade Nigeria For Profits / Chadians, Ghanaians, Others Storm Nigeria For Dollars-the Nation / Products That Can Be Imported Into Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by homesteady(m): 2:31pm On Sep 01, 2013
grin
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by Grego3(m): 2:31pm On Sep 01, 2013
By nxt yr Nigeria wil b hundred yrs. Its d almagation of d various defunct empire into a single entity dat we wil b celebrating n nt its independece of 1960.

1 Like

Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by rhymeup(m): 2:32pm On Sep 01, 2013
A few dat I know that have been around for over 50years. Robb is over fifty. Vaseline, phensic, Venus dey Milo. I do know that pzcussons and unilever have been around over a 100 years. Nigeria as a geographic expression as been around close to 100. Next year wud make it a 100.

2 Likes

Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by anitank(f): 2:32pm On Sep 01, 2013
Adamskuty: yeah! 1913 to 2013 missy undecided tell the dude, canoe or ship!
grin grin
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by jpphilips(m): 2:33pm On Sep 01, 2013
naijacutee:

This is Nigerian Politican behaviour on a small scale. Someone said if you remove 100 politicians and replace with 100 random Nigerians, Nigeria will still remain the same. People complain that it's the people at the top, when we (Nigerians) are the problem. Someone gets a contract to build roads and the default attitude is "What's in it for me?". Someone asks a question on a forum and the default attitude is "What's in it for me?". Nigerians have no right to insult politicians because they would do exactly the same in their position, as they share exactly the same thinking. Better to say nothing.

Back to the question: Lever Brothers (Now Unilever ) are a pretty old brand in Nigeria, but I don't think their products have been around for 100 years, as the British started bringing these companies in a few years after amalgamation, 99 years ago.

Old brands in Nigeria (at least 50 years old) are ones like Blue Band, Lux, Star beer, Bata, Leventis, Bic. I'll put some more down if I remember.

the poster said it himself dat he is getting paid, that entitles whoever that answers the right to get paid, it is called buisness if you have forgotten,
the poster is not asking to learn rather he is asking to get paid so what's the fuss? Every laborer deserves a wage so says the good book.
Even in our institutions of learning, we pay for their services, the thing with people like you is that you think charity is an obligation, dats wrong, nobody owes nobody sh1t.
Comparing this scenario with Nigerian politicians proves how disconnected you are with the realities on ground.

It cost money to get info and if one is not a charity organisation, commonsense behooves he earns from it. If you decide to give out your for free then thats your problem.

4 Likes

Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by collynzo2(m): 2:34pm On Sep 01, 2013
demelza:
Well tell him the products that have been around for 99yrs
I don't answer my questions like that.
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by chipet(m): 2:36pm On Sep 01, 2013
naijacutee:

This is Nigerian Politican behaviour on a small scale. Someone said if you remove 100 politicians and replace with 100 random Nigerians, Nigeria will still remain the same. People complain that it's the people at the top, when we (Nigerians) are the problem. Someone gets a contract to build roads and the default attitude is "What's in it for me?". Someone asks a question on a forum and the default attitude is "What's in it for me?". Nigerians have no right to insult politicians because they would do exactly the same in their position, as they share exactly the same thinking. Better to say nothing.

Back to the question: Lever Brothers (Now Unilever ) are a pretty old brand in Nigeria, but I don't think their products have been around for 100 years, as the British started bringing these companies in a few years after amalgamation, 99 years ago.

Old brands in Nigeria (at least 50 years old) are ones like Blue Band, Lux, Star beer, Bata, Leventis, Bic. I'll put some more down if I remember.
Oga go sleep! You no get talk!!! tongue How can someone be looking for products that have lasted for 100yrs in Nigeria when Nigeria is only 53yrs old?
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by naijacutee(f): 2:36pm On Sep 01, 2013
rhymeup: A few dat I know that have been around for over 50years. Robb is over fifty. Vaseline, phensic, Venus dey Milo. I do know that pzcussons and unilever have been around over a 100 years. Nigeria as a geographic expression as been around close to 100. Next year wud make it a 100.

Great point! i'm really learning from your post. PZ Cussons apparently came to Nigeria in 1899 as just PZ (Paterson Zochonis), and thus has been in Nigeria for over 100 years!. Their history is on their website : http://www.pzcussonsng.com/content/our-history

jp philips:

the poster said it himself dat he is getting paid, that entitles whoever that answers the right to get paid, it is called buisness if you have forgotten,
the poster is not asking to learn rather he is asking to get paid so what's the fuss? Every laborer deserves a wage so says the good book.
Even in our institutions of learning, we pay for their services, the thing with people like you is that you think charity is an obligation, dats wrong, nobody owes nobody sh1t.
Comparing this scenario with Nigerian politicians proves how disconnected you are with the realities on ground.

It cost money to get info and if one is not a charity organisation, commonsense behooves he earns from it. If you decide to give out your for free then thats your problem.

No comment. There's no point. (This is how to build your nation. your politicians don't owe you sh1t, either).

3 Likes

Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by NellyGhenghen(m): 2:36pm On Sep 01, 2013
All you asking if Nigeria is up to 100 are just ignorant... Nigeria "gained her independence" 53 years ago doesn't mean Nigeria has existed for only 53 years...

4 Likes

Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by Penboy: 2:37pm On Sep 01, 2013
Pawpaw, groundnut, cassava, hide and skin etc. These are product from the soil and animals respectively. They should be more than 100years old. Even before our colonial masters came.
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by omiobo: 2:38pm On Sep 01, 2013
Bulb,clock,fan,utensils,broom,nail,matches,mat. I dey come make I go ask Pa Sadela.
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by naijacutee(f): 2:40pm On Sep 01, 2013
More products from PZ like @rhymeup pointed out are Robb, Joy soap, Elephant washing powder.
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by HAH: 2:41pm On Sep 01, 2013
Kuli kuli, daddawa, dudu osun, alewa, danshiki,red cap, burkutu, ogogoro, hoe, pestle,mortar, grinding stone, baban riga, wangara shoes, iru, garri, fufu, amala, tuwo, gbegiri, burabisko, agidi, kuka, taushe, esusu, manda salt, etc all these have existed over 200 years sef

1 Like

Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by emandman: 2:42pm On Sep 01, 2013
Some of dem myt not av reachd 100yrs but i'l try.
1.)mayonnase
2.)blueband
3.)cowbell
4.)peakmilk
5.)okin buscit
6.)yale b
7.trebor
8.choco milo
9.)milo
10.bournvita
11.7up(and odas)
12.palmwine
13.bread
14.beer(name dem)
15.)st sugar
16.pure/iced water
17.)dunlop sliper
18.)adire attire
20.aso oke
21.) vespa motorbike
22.benz
23.volvo
24.)bicycle
25.)nissan
26.)datsun.
27.)kola nut
28.)bitter kola
29.)lipton tea
30.)zobo
31.)sharon/indogi
32.)omo detagent
33.)kongi soap
34.)canoe soap
35.)p.o box service
36.)banking service
37.)politics
38.)music&thearte
39)sport
40.)ogogoro(local liquor)
41.)poultry egg
42.)pako biscuit
43.)tom tom
44.)banana chewing gum
45.)ice cream
46.)railway
47.)ship
48.)book
49.)biro and pencil
in other 4my post to have many likes let me giv honour to whom it is due,number 50 is
50.)GARRI

9 Likes

Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by demelza: 2:43pm On Sep 01, 2013
omiobo: Bulb,clock,fan,utensils,broom,nail,matches. I dey come make I go ask Pa Sadela.
Ask the Pa for the names of the brands, that is what the OP wants.
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by TokyoBulls(m): 2:46pm On Sep 01, 2013
FMCL (one of the biggest distribution companies in Nigeria) came into Nigeria in 1893. That means the products they sold then must be more than 100 years old as long as they're still in existence. Top on that list is Tiger Blade.

2 Likes

Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by adonismuller(m): 2:50pm On Sep 01, 2013
The OP also indicated he don't mind even if he gets just 50...S̴̩☺ why are you all educated illitrate clamouring'Nigeria aint up to 100' help if you wana help!

Anyone typing'end time things' check his username! You will know he/she is a kid!
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by Nobody: 2:50pm On Sep 01, 2013
Nmeri17: Hahaha...When i said hugely i meant N500 o.Maybe u should never mind. I'll just refund him when he comes back this morning

N500 as in $3.3? And u call it huge? U r nt serious
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by s3nn2x(m): 2:53pm On Sep 01, 2013
anitank: 100 products that have stayed in Nigeria for 100 years since 1960

Is he desperate for paying such huge sum or just plain dumb
What is your point? So just because Nigeria gained independence in 1960, means she has been in existence for just 53 years? I am sure the person that wants to know asked because of the centenary celebration which will be marked next year in commemoration of 100 years of Nigeria's existence.
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by naijacutee(f): 2:56pm On Sep 01, 2013
TokyoBulls: FMCL (one of the biggest distribution companies in Nigeria) came into Nigeria in 1893. That means the products they sold then must be more than 100 years old as long as they're still in existence. Top on that list is Tiger Blade.

Top post, well done! I've just looked at their history and it says they have been in Nigeria since 1890! FMCL stands for Far East Mercantile, and they also distribute Similac, Ovaltine, Geisha, Peak milk and Nan. Here's a link to their history: http://www.fareastmercantile.com/about_fmcl

2 Likes

Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by kedukc(m): 2:56pm On Sep 01, 2013
If not for end time, garri will be on the list.
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 01, 2013
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided mud house
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by jpphilips(m): 2:57pm On Sep 01, 2013
PalmTree: Product? No, but First Bank as a brand has been around for over a century.

firstbank since 1897, lemme check ma car keys
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by Nobody: 2:59pm On Sep 01, 2013
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided mud house

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Online Forex Trading Is A Fraud. My Findings / Man Selling Doughnut On The Streets Of Akwa Ibom (Photos) / SMS Alert Charge: Is First Bank Stealing My Money?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.