Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,746 members, 7,879,235 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 02:38 PM

What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? (19250 Views)

How Can I Cook Nigerian Stew Without Frying It / How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? / How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by chisimdi(f): 11:47am On Jun 14, 2008
presido1:

Thanks my sista please put enough mangala, e don tee small when i neffa eat am.
Do send me the tracking numba.
Chineke gozie gi.
Lol
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by ogejov(f): 12:05pm On Jun 14, 2008
Try out Banga soup, my dear

500g / l1b Assorted parts of meat
225g / 8oz stockfish (pre-soaked)
225g / 8oz bushmeat (washed)
1kg / 2Ib oil-palm nuts
225g / 8oz ground crayfish
1pt stock or water
225g / 8oz Okro (sliced)
100g / 4oz groundpepper
1 onion (sliced)
half teaspoonful of ground ataieko
half teaspoonful of igeriejae
salt to taste

Place the washed meat in a large pot, add a drop of water or stock
season with salt and ground pepper and boil for 30 minutes or until tender.

Add the smoked fish and stockfish,
cook for another 10 minutes.
Prepare the oil-palm nut to extract the oil by boiling the washed nuts for 20 minutes until soft.
Remove from water and pound to remove the oil.
Pass through a sieve to separate the kernels from the chaff.
Pour the strained pulp into the meat together with the sliced peppers onions' tomatoes puree and Okro. Add about half teaspoonful of grounded ataieko and igeriejae spices. Some would include dried bitter leaf.
Sprinkle in the crayfish and cook for 15minutes until the soup is fairly reduced and thickened to coat the back of spoon.
Check seasoning and serve with pounded yam (Iyan) or Usin/Egun obobo
(starch & plantain pudding).

VARIATIONS

Fresh fish crayfish and shrimps could be used instead of meat with a small amount of ground egusi added instead of Okro.

A glass of orange juice or palm wine will be great to go with this delicacy.
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by ogejov(f): 12:14pm On Jun 14, 2008
Chisimdi

Nwanelee!!!!!!! You are too much, I dey feel u
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by chisimdi(f): 12:47pm On Jun 14, 2008
ogejov

Nwannee lol i feeel u 2. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by alex406(m): 12:53pm On Jun 14, 2008
chisimdi,i dey feel you oo, Biko agu na gu m ,ke ka iye si sielum Ofe nsala,acho rom iri nya na akpu. I will be waiting for your response.One LUV
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by oziomatv(m): 12:58pm On Jun 14, 2008
I've swallowed all the saliva in my mouth while reading some recipes of soup here,

alex406:

chisimdi,i dey feel you oo, Biko agu na gu m ,ke ka iye si sielum Ofe nsala,acho rom iri nya na akpu. I will be waiting for your response.One LUV

Gwa ya ka o mete nke mmadu ibua na mmu di kwa interested.
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by sbucareer(f): 1:12pm On Jun 14, 2008

Ogejoy and chisimdi, thanks again for your insight to this knotty Igbo soup. Thanks again particulary to chisimdi for that Oha Soup more grace to your elbow.

Chukwu gozie unu.
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by chisimdi(f): 1:26pm On Jun 14, 2008
Alex406 and oziomatv
Cheiii umunnem,ebe unu no tere aka but i fit courier d soup 4 una. grin grin grin grin grin lol

To sbucareer tnks my dear lol smiley smiley
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by Gabry(f): 1:37pm On Jun 14, 2008
Poster,
Do you suppose that maybe its not the Igbo dishes that it could be that your cooking does not taste good? My aunt got married to her husband for 10 years and everytime she cooks, her husband would not eat it and will go out to town to eat after that. He complaints saying that she cannot cook a Malaysian food so one day I went to her house and sat together with her husband doing a crossword puzzle. My aunt was cooking in the kitchen. Then my uncle told me, make sure you drink alot of alcohol before you eat her dishes otherwise, you might just die of a heart attack. I just smiled and ignored his comments.

Then when the food was served and we started eating. OH MY GOD. . . It was the most horrible food which I have tasted in my entire life!!! After dinner is over and my aunt went to wash the dishes, I ask my uncle, what is his comment on the food, he told me that she is just not made to cook at all and he would not want to offend her in any ways but still loves her no matter what. I told him by not eating her food, he is already offending her why not just tell her the truth for God sakes. . . . He then made a comment card and wrote the following:-

Dear My One and Only Darling in my entire life,
I love you so much that I would die for you but unfortunately, I am not willing to die over your cooking so I think from this point onwards, I shall do the cooking or hire someone to do the cooking or we could just eat out.

Remember, I love you.  smiley

After that, I honestly dont know what happen so maybe you should ask him what is it about the food that he dont like or maybe you put a comment card on the table so after he eats, he can just go fill up the card.  grin
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jun 14, 2008
oh my gawwddd dats one funny story cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by Gabry(f): 2:00pm On Jun 14, 2008
Funny huh Jenny? grin Well, its what happened. Heheh!
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by kingdong(m): 2:02pm On Jun 14, 2008
umu igbo nwanne kwe nu! yu guys are representing and showing so much love i am going all soft. and i am sure proud yu all trying to help out our inlaw. and those recipes, o boy d thing na e me ka agu jim all of a sudden, na e mekwam akpili. God bless yu all. and for Leila, sista find who dey cook for oga broda make im come or make yu go meet am make yu perfect yur already improved cookability. also that suggestion to attach to an african kitchen with comfirmed ndigbo cooks aint a bad idea. be rest assured yur efforts will be crownd with glory and oga go soon dey look forward to coming home to chop im murrmmi wacks and wen im chop finish begin lick hand like nkita lijuu afo. nothing do yu all, yu, yur husband and BabaGod na the winning combo unu be.

As for me wey love food pass anything, it was a grand experience going to ijora underbridge with my chikala  go buy chicken, turkey and fish to stock d freezer along with other ingredients dem. men come see different different big fish dem. o boy e be like say make dey begin cook evry evry for me there and den. Womens wey recognise man place for house and d need to keep im belle happy, yu got my vote, una well done, God go sort out all other issues wey una dey face.
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by shylladear(f): 2:37pm On Jun 14, 2008
@gabrywyl
thats a very funny story grin
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by Gabry(f): 2:42pm On Jun 14, 2008
grin grin
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by redsun(m): 3:21pm On Jun 14, 2008
Somebody just jolt my mind with BANGA soup,hell,i missed stuffs like that,BANGA SOUP AND NSALA SOUP(spicy,herb filled,oil and virtually fat free pepper soup)

The world is missing out from those natural herbs and african spices,especially the cold world,they are quite medicinal and revitalizing,they fight of cold and all the petty so-called viruses people cconstantly abuse antibiotics for.

We have a lot to give the world as africans,but same problem of misplaced priorities hinders every aspects of our life.Our food is so natural,and that is what the world need now,something diffrent from this mass killing cancerous items they call food these days,intensively genetically modified heaven knows what.
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by redsun(m): 4:15pm On Jun 14, 2008
Leilah,why not let your husband do the cooking for a change,he should show you how he wants it,then you learn from him.

You sound very much like a conservative old school english woman,i do see them on uk channel 4 wife swap sometimes,dotting their men like a out of this world scene,it is encoraging though,but very rare.

The new age woman is so bitchy,she doesn't even know how to heat up packaged foods in a microwave.
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by landis(m): 4:42pm On Jun 14, 2008
I dont like 'Cous Cous' myself.

I would be surpised to see any Nigerian that like it.

I suggest you order 'Ijebu Gari' and get someone to teach you to make it into hard EBA.

You will need supporting soup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eba

good luck
grin cheesy grin
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by femo2000(m): 4:49pm On Jun 14, 2008
Hello Leilah,

I would like you to try this to compliment your efforts.

On a good afternoon after preparing the food according to the recipes given by ngigbo nairalanders, the next thing is your mode of serving the food(it has to change to embarass him abit)
1 make sure the A/C is off
2 don't include fork and knife on your dining set infact dont place the food on the dining table, it has to be on the center table in the living room. while he sits on the couch
3 he has to eat with his hands so get a bowl filled with water to quarter. so as to wash both hands (trust you have hit him hard).
4 dont let him drink water/juice/palmwine form a tiny glass cup/50cl bottle  [b]IT HAS TO BE IN A 1LITER JAR AT  -5DEG CELCIUS
5 after he finish eating put on the A/C ang get him toothpick. In less thn 10mins he will fall asleep (sue me if he does not)

when he finally awakes if you both decided to get to cloud 7, I bet you he will deliver like never before (just make sure the kids aint at home cos he wount stop till cock crows (sue me on this one too)
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by amberella: 4:55pm On Jun 14, 2008
@redsun

Rare, my ass. Of all the wives and moms I know, there are only 2 that don't cook - and they're both asian.

My best friend also doesn't cook, although she's not married. You open her fridge and there's wine. You open her freezer and there's vodka. lol. She's Persian.

You people have such rediculous ideas about white people.
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by spoilt(f): 5:13pm On Jun 14, 2008
@ spoilt

after viewing your profile and seeing the tomb raider pic, i finally understand your point of view in treating husbands. i for one will start an anti-tomb raiders site to protest the abuse of men.

@ na2day?

The joke eluded you apparently! sorry!
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by A3673(m): 5:56pm On Jun 14, 2008
Engineed why did u want know if she have sister of range u ask this just a matter of cooking sad
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by LAKANYE(m): 6:25pm On Jun 14, 2008
Leila

I am sorry I have a different perspectives to your so-called thread. Having read all comments by NAIRALAND FAMILY posted by both sexes, here are my own personal analogy of your SITUATION.

[b]Prior to marriage, I assume you courted him for more that 24 hours as an assumption, and I strongly believed the courtship was far longer than 24 hours, perhaps, days, months and even unusually years. Within these courtship parameters, I am also assuming that at one time or the other before marriage, your husband must have had a one in a lifetime chances of tasting your cookings, and that does not stopped him from dragging you to the the front of a County court judge or a pastor to pronounce you man and wife. If he knew prior to marriage that you do not perfectly know how to cook indigenous African food, and still married you, I DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD KEEP WORRYING YOURSELF ABOUT COOKING TO SATISFY YOUR HUSBAND.
Any sane man who read your post will sure believes that YOU ARE A RARE WOMAN AMONG MARRIED WOMEN, where most wives of this jet age don't even give a shit about the welfares of their husband, talk less about attempting to cook to his satisfactions. One thing you need to realize about African men is the facts that the one who complains about any woman's cooking usually knows how to cook himself. You are not married to him to ultimately become his chef, if he keeps complaining about your cooking, tell him to go learn how to cook his own damn indigenous foods, after all he knew you were a foreigner when and before he married you, AND I AM HOPING HE DID NOT MARRY YOU FOR IMMIGRATIONAL PURPOSES, hence now making flimsy excuses of your shortcoming after his personal aims have been achieved. On the other hand this may not be the case. grin
The idea of looking for his country girl to teach you how to cook HELL NO. I am sorry to let you know that IBO GIRLS are professional to certain OPEDIA with ANY man. Unfortunately, this is a positive attributes to any living man from an IBO WOMAN, regardless of THRUST.
Your husband must be a good husband for you to have gone through all these efforts to satisfy his grubbing pleasures for your cookings. IF HE KEEPS COMPLAINING OF YOUR COOKING, LET HIM START COOKING FOR YOU and for himself, except and if it was analyzed in your prenuptial agreements that you must be the only one cooking for the households. HUSBAND AND WIFE NEEDS TO WORK TOGETHER IN LOVE AND ACCEPTANCE OF EACH OTHERS' SHORTCOMINGS, HELP EACH OTHER IN PARTS OF WEAKNESSES, NURTURE, AND LOVE ONE ANOTHER WITH EVERLASTING LOVE,, AND NOT MAKE THE WIFE BECOME A PARTIALLY ENSLAVED TO THE KITCHEN BECAUSE SHE IS A WOMAN.
On a conclusive note, I would advice you to cook only food you are specialized and proficient to cook, European foods, PERIOD, because he lives in Europe, and married an European woman. If he is craving for African food, let him cook it for himself, or go to his relatives to satisfy his starchy cravings for "oporoko" soup. I HOPE I HAVE NOT OFFENDED ANYONE BY TELLING YOU THE HONEST TRUTH[/b]
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by LAKANYE(m): 6:39pm On Jun 14, 2008
HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVES OF WIVES COOKING FOR THEIR HUSBANDS

Back in the days, it is more common in Africa for the man to be the provider of the basic necessities of life to their family. Most jobs at the time was either hunting or faming. Most men would leave early in the morning before cock crows to their various offices (farmland and hunting parameters). They allow the wife to stay at home and take care of their children. Some wives took to neighboring trade of petty stuff because some men are becoming naturally unpredictable by cheating on their wives while claiming to have gone to the farm or hunting. It is such a simple thing for women to always want to cook for their husband who had just arrived from the farm, or who had just arrived with lots of hunted animals for food and commerce. It is more economical for the wives to stay at home and take care of the homes. And part of the household functions at the time was predominantly cooking for the household, and cleaning, and of cause sexual intercourse with their spouse almost every night after eating such a humongous mountainous panded yam and Oporoko soup.
At this age and time, and with the inversions that both husband and wife must work to provide for the skyrocketing expenses of the household. THE ISSUE OF WOMEN COOKING FOR THE MEN IN A MARRIAGE HAD GRADUALLY AND NATURALLY ERADICATED ITSELF. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ALLELUYAH
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by patorini(m): 6:54pm On Jun 14, 2008
take my cane and flog her! something dey worry that girl sef (amber)
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by TmeD0(m): 7:03pm On Jun 14, 2008
Is this Leilah again? Why una dey waste time dey respond to this attention-seeking, low self-esteem woman sef. All you all need to do is go back and read some of her previous threads. Initially, I felt sorry for her and all her plight from every thread she has opened but after reading some of it and how she's been dealing with things, I have no compassion for her no more. Bottom line be say, this woman get serious issues.

@Leilah, you need to go sort out your issues with you and your husband and quit bringing your personal issues here. Did you think that folks on Nairaland will solve your personal problems for you? Abeg, carry ya arakatula self comot o jare make we hia word for here (hisses). Yeye woman! angry Peace!
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by tyna1(f): 7:15pm On Jun 14, 2008
Na waoh! shocked shocked
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by amberella: 7:17pm On Jun 14, 2008
What woman doesn`t care about the welfare of her husband?  Where are all these so-called new age bitchy women hanging out?  Because I don`t know any of them!
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by CrazyMan(m): 7:20pm On Jun 14, 2008
Find someone who knows how to cook Igbo dishes and ask him/her to teach you.
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by 4Him1(m): 7:30pm On Jun 14, 2008
chisimdi, pls marry me. smiley That oha soup is worth living for.
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by LAKANYE(m): 7:37pm On Jun 14, 2008
T@meD0:

Is this Leilah again? Why una dey waste time dey respond to this attention-seeking, low self-esteem woman sef. All you all need to do is go back and read some of her previous threads. Initially, I felt sorry for her and all her plight from every thread she has opened but after reading some of it and how she's been dealing with things, I have no compassion for her no more. Bottom line be say, this woman get serious issues.

@Leilah, you need to go sort out your issues with you and your husband and quit bringing your personal issues here. Did you think that folks on Nairaland will solve your personal problems for you? Abeg, carry ya arakatula self comot o jare make we hia word for here (hisses). Yeye woman! angry Peace!

If LEILA is a woman with LOTS OF ISSUES WITH HER HUSBAND. I GUARRANTEE YOU SHE IS NOT ALONE AMONG GOOD AND BAD WOMEN WHO ARE STRUGGLING TO KEEP THEIR HUSBANDS. THERE ARE LESS ABLE BODIED MEN AND GENTLEMEN TO ONE-ON-ONE TO MARRY ALL WOMEN AROUND THE WORLD. AND, WOMEN WOULD SPITE AND KILL EACH OTHER TO MARRY ANOTHER WOMAN'S GOOD MAN. WE CAN ENCOURAGE EACH RATHER THAN KILLING EACH OTHER WITH WORDS.

IT IS A JOB TO BE MARRIED TO AN IGBO MAN, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE NOT AN IGBO WOMAN. SHE SHOULD HAVE MARRIED AN "AMALA" MAN.

LEILA'S PLOTTED SOLUTIONS IS NOT FOR HER ALONE, BUT FOR ALL OTHER PEOPLE WHO MAY BE GOING THROUGH THE SAME SITUATION IN LIFE.
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by chisimdi(f): 8:14pm On Jun 14, 2008
4him i will let me ask my husby okay grin grin grin grin grin grin lol
Re: What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? by victorian(f): 8:40pm On Jun 14, 2008
@ POSTER, dont mind amber. Allowing women into your home to teach you how to cook your husband's kind of food, will evetually bring disaster in your marraige,even if your man is the most loyal of all men. Just talk to him to allow his brother or brother's wife to show you, how its done . simple.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

Sugar Of N50 Is Now N100 / Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup / What's Your First Choice Meal For Breakfast?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.